The best movie of 2017...so far

last reply
12 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
With the first quarter of 2017 now in the rear view mirror, I'd like to take a quick look back at the last few months of what is generally regarded as the weakest period of cinematic achievement. After the glut of of Oscar nominees characteristic of end-year, and before the big summer movie season, January to May is generally regarded as a season for lesser known projects and Hollywood experiments destined to be forgotten by the time Oscar season rolls around.

That being said...

What do you think is the best movie of the year so far??
Wild at Heart
0 likes
There hasn't been much I think is really good so far. Even the ones that I enjoyed like Get Out I feel are a bit overrated. It's a good movie but not some masterpiece. Logan, John Wick 2 and The Lost City of Z were good as well but I also thought they were overrated. Probably because everything else is pretty bad so it makes them seem better than they are.

I saw Colossal a few days ago and that actually really stuck with me. It's hard to recommend to people because the premise is strange and it's a little flawed but it had good performances and a story that is more profound than it seems.
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I saw Colossal a few days ago and that actually really stuck with me. It's hard to recommend to people because the premise is strange and it's a little flawed but it had good performances and a story that is more profound than it seems.

It's actually fairly high on my list. I like strange, quirky movies and I like kaiju so this seems like a natural for me (though I will confess to not being a big Anne Hathaway fan which may work against it).
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

It's actually fairly high on my list. I like strange, quirky movies and I like kaiju so this seems like a natural for me (though I will confess to not being a big Anne Hathaway fan which may work against it).

I'm not a fan of her either but I thought she was good in this and I wasn't distracted by the fact that it was her.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
There hasn't been much I think is really good so far. Even the ones that I enjoyed like Get Out I feel are a bit overrated. It's a good movie but not some masterpiece. Logan, John Wick 2 and The Lost City of Z were good as well but I also thought they were overrated. Probably because everything else is pretty bad so it makes them seem better than they are.

I thought "Get Out" was quite overrated. I heard such good things, so maybe it was just over-expectations. Colossal was unique (and filmed in Vancouver, which tends to raise things up in my book).

My pick would be Logan. I thought it was thoughtful, morose and (finally) actually violent, thanks the to R rating (side note: thank you Ryan Reynolds). A great movie, not just for a superhero movie (which I generally find quite mediocre) but for a movie in general. And... spoiler alert... the hero dies in this one, which always makes for a better ending. A great send off for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. If anyone thinks this movie is a lesser piece of cinematic movie making than "Hell or High Water," (which was nominated for an oscar) I'd like to hear your reasons.

A dark, gritty tale of redemption and loss with the prospect of of future salvation. Plus Professor X tossing a few f bombs. And I'm only slight embarrassed to say that I might have shed a tear when I saw Laura turn that cross into an x before she fled across the border into Canada. We can only hope that this is simply the beginning of R rated comic book movies that pander not to selling toys to children but remain faithful to source material and actually produce great movies with great stories lines as opposed to CGI driven popcorn flicks.

The other movie that comes to mind is Split. I thought James MacAvoy's performance was amazing. I doubt he'll get an oscar nod since it will probably be forgotten by year's end.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Fifty Shades Darker.

Brandie
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I feel that so far, nothing coming out of Hollywood really has struck a chord with me. Logan was decent, but very full of itself I felt. I did really like that a superhero movie would go to reference the sunset of westerns, after we had so much of these throw at us in the past few years. So I'll give it the temporary title of best US film so far.

Still, I think that to find the best movie until may, you have to get out of American productions. My personal voice would go to The Other Side of Hope, from Aki Kaurismaki. It may not be a masterpiece, or even Kaurismaki's best work as of yet. But it was touching, subtle and talked about immigration at the right time.

Until better things come out, I would highly recommend it.
Lurker
0 likes
OK....call me a romantic, but I think this version of Beauty and the Beast is one of the great love stories of all time
Southern Barefoot Angel
0 likes
Best movie so far is the lastest installment of the fast and furious
The Bruiser
0 likes
Best movies for me this year are in order
1 Beauty and the beast
2 Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
3 Hacksaw Ridge
4 La La Land
5 Sing
6 Kong Skull Island
7 Ghost in the Shell
8 passengers

For the past few months I’ve been using Instagram and been using the site to post my photography . Here’s the link to my profile 

https://www.instagram.com/farmerroger1/

My recommended read

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/amongst-the-arabian-sands

here’s a link to my photography album in my media

https://www.lushstories.com/profile/farmerroger/media?album=2399646

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I thought "Get Out" was quite overrated. I heard such good things, so maybe it was just over-expectations. Colossal was unique (and filmed in Vancouver, which tends to raise things up in my book).

My pick would be Logan. I thought it was thoughtful, morose and (finally) actually violent, thanks the to R rating (side note: thank you Ryan Reynolds). A great movie, not just for a superhero movie (which I generally find quite mediocre) but for a movie in general. And... spoiler alert... the hero dies in this one, which always makes for a better ending. A great send off for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. If anyone thinks this movie is a lesser piece of cinematic movie making than "Hell or High Water," (which was nominated for an oscar) I'd like to hear your reasons.

A dark, gritty tale of redemption and loss with the prospect of of future salvation. Plus Professor X tossing a few f bombs. And I'm only slight embarrassed to say that I might have shed a tear when I saw Laura turn that cross into an x before she fled across the border into Canada. We can only hope that this is simply the beginning of R rated comic book movies that pander not to selling toys to children but remain faithful to source material and actually produce great movies with great stories lines as opposed to CGI driven popcorn flicks.

The other movie that comes to mind is Split. I thought James MacAvoy's performance was amazing. I doubt he'll get an oscar nod since it will probably be forgotten by year's end.

Totally agree on MacAvoy being worthy of a nomination. I liked split but the last third of the movie started getting stupid but the very end did bring it back around for me. Good movie but pretty forgettable to me overall.

Speaking about shedding a tear... That fucking Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was hitting me right in my black little heart more than once. So far GOTG Vol. 2 is my favorite movie of the year. I loved it. I think it's better than the original which is fantastic itself. I think it's going to be hard to top for me.
Lurker
0 likes
Wonder Woman