Login

Interacting with your audience

last reply
32 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
So, I've been getting some really good comments on my new stories (See my current sig) and have been responding to more of them than I usually do. Do other authors interact with your audience much in this way? Or do you just read the comments and move on. Not sure if it really accomplishes anything, but I know that the few times I've had an author respond to one of my comments, it's made me feel better about that author and more interested in their work.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I like the dialogue between writers and readers here. I have had a LOT of stories improved by reactions of readers, either in the comments or by PM. It is nice to know someone has read your story closely enough to make suggestions, and/or tell you what they really thought worked well in the story. It makes me a more generous reader and commenter, knowing someone has given me the same courtesy.
Snake Charmera
0 likes
I always thank people for reading my work. I love to hear what they have to say about what they liked or didn't like. I've recently even started thanking friends with a picture in their wall. I've also found new authors to read as well through both pm and comments.

My Anti-Valentine Entry 💔

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/cheating/a-valentines-date-to-remember

My first EP and a top ten from the Pride Competition
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/lesbian/-love-is-love-.aspx

Hanging in the background but around

Lurker
0 likes
I love writing and enjoy the feeling it gives me, when I see it on the front page. It seems many shy away from interacting, because they don't understand my words, but that's alright with me. There are those who just comprehend past a bologna sandwich. I do enjoy poems, when written with emotion. There are several on Lush who express that very well.
0 likes
I wouldn't post here if it wasn't for the comments/feedback. The sort of response i got on my story NO WAY IN really made me feel like we are a community of writers here. I love when someone points out something they feel is off or appreciates a message or even just a phrase i was trying to get across.
0 likes
I love the comments I get from the readers. Good or Bad. It is worth more than any score.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I've enjoyed many exchanges by PM with readers who've contacted me about things they enjoyed or offered as suggestions for my stories, but I rarely respond to comments left below the stories themselves. Within the first few weeks/months of posting a story, I'll PM each reader/commenter with a thank you message for taking the time to read my story, and often get a response from those.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I do my best to interact with my readers who post comments privately and show my appreciation.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
It is my habit to respond to every comment made on any story or poem I post. I don't know what it means. I just do it because I assume it is courteous to take a few seconds or a minute or two to show appreciation to someone kind enough to respond to my work. I find that the majority also do the same towards me for my comments on their stories.

I have sometimes sent a personal message when I find a criticism I would like to share, but don't think it needs sharing in public.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Like Green Man, I share my criticism in a PM. The comments feature is a bit limiting and too public for good criticism.

Additionally, it is difficult to know which writers are willing to receive criticism or constructive suggestions.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I thank everyone who comments. If the comment is made by a friend, I like to express my gratitude in private correspondence. So many people read (or at least visit the story), a few vote, and even fewer comment, so it is special that someone takes the time to give you that feedback.

Recognition is a very important aspect to the writing itself, but not in and of itself. I write because the process is fun, and finishing a story always feels so good.

Not to try to take over the thread, but is there a way to edit a published story? I found several typos that both I and the mod overlooked, and I'd like to clean it up if I can.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by latecomer91364
I thank everyone who comments. If the comment is made by a friend, I like to express my gratitude in private correspondence. So many people read (or at least visit the story), a few vote, and even fewer comment, so it is special that someone takes the time to give you that feedback.

Recognition is a very important aspect to the writing itself, but not in and of itself. I write because the process is fun, and finishing a story always feels so good.

Not to try to take over the thread, but is there a way to edit a published story? I found several typos that both I and the mod overlooked, and I'd like to clean it up if I can.

Go to the top of the page and hover over your avatar to bring up a menu. Select My Stories. Find your story and select Edit. It will open that story in the same submission panel you used to submit orginally. Edit the story as you wish. Resubmit at the bottom as before, after filling in the blank space to indicate to the moderators what you are changing. It will go back for reverifying. You can find a lot of this info in ? FAQ at the top of the page.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by latecomer91364

Yeah, what Green Man said. I've edited my published stories a LOT. The mods are bizarrely chill about making the edits without complaint. Just make sure you don't cut-and-paste in a whole new document, which means they have to read the whole thing again. Making your changes on the existing doc, like GM suggested, will track your changes for them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

Go to the top of the page and hover over your avatar to bring up a menu. Select My Stories. Find your story and select Edit. It will open that story in the same submission panel you used to submit orginally. Edit the story as you wish. Resubmit at the bottom as before, after filling in the blank space to indicate to the moderators what you are changing. It will go back for reverifying. You can find a lot of this info in ? FAQ at the top of the page.

Quote by Verbal

Yeah, what Green Man said. I've edited my published stories a LOT. The mods are bizarrely chill about making the edits without complaint. Just make sure you don't cut-and-paste in a whole new document, which means they have to read the whole thing again. Making your changes on the existing doc, like GM suggested, will track your changes for them.

Thank you both- I sent it with a note: 'Just fixing three typos'. I would never try to improve a story already submitted - whatever I thought might have worked better, I'd just use in another story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I answer every comment to my stories that I get. I feel that if they liked my story enough to leave a comment, the least I can do is respond to it! I love hearing from my readers good or bad and learn so much from them.
Ungovernable
0 likes
Yes, I do respond to readers' comments. Miss being able to send PMs to thank those who scored without commenting, so whoever you are, thank you!
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
I so appreciate it when people take the time not only to read one of my stories also but to post a comment. Like others have said on this thread, it seems only courteous to respond, and that interaction is so encouraging. As Hannah said, it makes Lush a community of writers, which is pretty cool.

I also enjoy talking about stories with authors by PM too, it's really good to discuss someone's creativity in depth which a more public forum doesn't necessarily allow for. I really like how we all encourage each other's writing.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore
I so appreciate it when people take the time not only to read one of my stories also but to post a comment. Like others have said on this thread, it seems only courteous to respond, and that interaction is so encouraging. As Hannah said, it makes Lush a community of writers, which is pretty cool.

I also enjoy talking about stories with authors by PM too, it's really good to discuss someone's creativity in depth which a more public forum doesn't necessarily allow for. I really like how we all encourage each other's writing.

I agree w this. I love the comments on my stories more than just about anything else, and even more when those lead to pm's, friendships, collaborations.

It's a great community here.
0 likes
I try very hard to responde to everyone's comment. Some times I get behind and then try to Catch up. I love hearing your comments ,good or bad. When I read your stories, I comment on all of them. Might not be long, but I want people to know I appreciate thier writing.
Click below to see

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I usually reply to their comments - I appreciate if they had the time to read the story they comment and/or vote.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I reply to all the comments on my stories, and I'll drop a thank you on their wall too if they're a friend. If they're not, and look like they're open to it, I'll usually send a friend request as well. I used to do the same for votes, but I can't anymore now that scoring is anonymous.

I'm always up for a meaningful discussion about writing, and welcome it when it happens. Sometimes I'll develop a genuine friendship, but most of the time it remains fairly superficial.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
0 likes
I really appreciate getting comments. I try to acknowledge them all but I don't always do that beneath the comment itself. I send a quick message or post a thank you on the person's wall. Actually, I've been a bit slow doing that recently so this thread has been a good reminder. Thank you
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
If a reader has put the effort into trawling through my story and it moved them to make a comment, I try to respond in kind in the public space. Don't know if many appreciate the random anecdotes about my writing process that stem from their comment, but I sometimes dish it out anyway.

It's great to receive feedback so I can improve and, as others have said, the comments mean more than the votes to me.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 101 stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 69 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 20 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Saucy Little Minx ♥️
0 likes
I really appreciate when an author comments on my comments so thank you for those that do.

I also wasn’t sure where to say this so I guess I will say it here. For those of you who allow your stories to be viewed as PDFs thank you so much, I read a lot on my breaks at work and sometimes when I’m not on break which is kind of a cheap thrill of maybe getting caught LoL. I like that I don’t have to be online as you never know what will pop up on the screen.

I appreciate all of you!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

which we are not so chill with. it usually earns you a place in the story mod's rage cage thread, especially if you are a repeat offender.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

which we are not so chill with. it usually earns you a place in the story mod's rage cage thread, especially if you are a repeat offender.

I am fond of being caged. smile
living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by sprite

That just made me all kinds of nervous...and I don't know why lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The comments are my favourite part of writing
they make it worth it ? and encourage me to keep writing more
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

That just made me all kinds of nervous...and I don't know why lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The comments are my favourite part of writing
they make it worth it ? and encourage me to keep writing more

I KNOW! I would bet money I've been the subject of the mod's rage cage thread at some point. smile

I always respond to a commenter with a reply, and some I respond to with a PM, if they gave me some good constructive criticism or made a particularly thoughtful comment. And I will always PM someone who has made one of my stories a favorite. That's a really nice gesture on the reader's part.