Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Which kind of Point of View would I need to use?

last reply
11 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Instead of describing what's happening in a story, could I have a story based on character dialogue, naughty, sex scene. I don't always want to base a story of what's happening, So what kind point of view would you recommend? I tend to stick with what works. It is the third person point of view. Is it possible to mix third person point of view and first person point of view? I heard someone tell me that if I did it, would mess up the story. I started with the third person but not sure if I should switch to the First person for a certain part. Just so i get it right when a character is talking in a story do I always have to space it to a new paragraph? I know it starts with this " and ends with " I seen some stories you didn;t really need to space it when a character is speaking in the story.
0 likes
Quote by Blue_Eyed_Lady

Instead of describing what's happening in a story, could I have a story based on character dialogue, naughty, sex scene. I don't always want to base a story of what's happening, So what kind point of view would you recommend? I tend to stick with what works. It is the third person point of view. Is it possible to mix third person point of view and first person point of view? I heard someone tell me that if I did it, would mess up the story. I started with the third person but not sure if I should switch to the First person for a certain part. Just so i get it right when a character is talking in a story do I always have to space it to a new paragraph? I know it starts with this " and ends with " I seen some stories you didn;t really need to space it when a character is speaking in the story.

Switching between first and third gets confusing unless there's a chapter break or something to separate them. You can't just randomly switch from paragraph to paragraph. For instance, I know I have read stories and novels (can't think of an example right now) that alternate between third person narrative and diary excepts or the inner thoughts of a specific character but they always keep them well-delineated. Now, when it comes to literature, never say never. Someone has probably found other successful ways of mixing the two. But they would have to have been far better writers than most of us to pull it off.

As for dialogue formatting, each new speaker must be in a new paragraph. You could have that character's actions in the paragraph. But when the speaker/actor changes, change the paragraph. So:

"Get down on you knees, baby, and give me some head," John said with a wicked grin. He pushed his shorts down to release his eight inches of man-meat.

"Oh yes, baby, I love eating your big cock," Jill replied as she sank to the ground in front of him.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Blue-eyed, for starters, Seeker is right about both paragraphs and switching from first to third person (or vice versa) within a single story. As he noted, when it comes to literature, never say never. As a general 'rule of thumb' it's usually best to stick to either first or third. Switching back and forth can confuse readers, and confused readers tend to quickly become former readers. This is especially true with short stories.

You'd probably be best off sticking to third person with a few carefully delineated POV shifts. That sort of 'head hopping' is used a lot in romance genre stories/novels. Just be sure the reader can easily recognize the 'hop'.

That said, don't hesitate to give your ideas a shot. Lush is a great place to try new things.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
0 likes
I would avoid switching unless it's in different chapters. Even then, proceed with caution. I'm sure you're a good enough writer to get your point across anyway. Just work at it. smile
0 likes
To paraphrase what H. said, it's a very tricky business to switch tenses within a story. What Bill said about "head hopping" is also possible, and equally tricky.

A good author to spend some quality time with before trying to switch up tenses and POV's is Nicholson Baker. Sherman Alexie does it well, too. Good luck.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Yeah, you'd need to delineate the POV shifts clearly, like Bill said, but I think it sound fun. Also like Bill said, never say never. And it could get confusing pretty easily, so you might wanna keep the action pretty simple, so the reader knows just where they are.

My favorite "head hopper" is Elmore Leonard. He is so effortless with it - the reader is inside the room and jumping into the heads of three or four people, but you don't even notice what a complex trick it is, because he is so adept. Brilliant writer. Great dialogue too.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
I agree with Verbal about Elmore Leonard. The late, 'Dickens of Detroit' was an acknowledged master of dialogue. Over the years I've suggested many writers struggling with that aspect of the craft check out some of his work.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
I agree with Verbal about Elmore Leonard. The late, 'Dickens of Detroit' was an acknowledged master of dialogue. Over the years I've suggested many writers struggling with that aspect of the craft check out some of his work.

When I got serious about writing, I read all of Elmore Leonard's Detroit novels at least twice (when he shifted to Florida his writing got a little stale). POV, pacing, dialogue, humor, the ability to nail the one perfect detail in a scene - that guy can do it all. Sad he is seen as "only" a genre writer. He transcends genre - a great American writer who IMHO changed American Literature, and for the better.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

When I got serious about writing, I read all of Elmore Leonard's Detroit novels at least twice (when he shifted to Florida his writing got a little stale). POV, pacing, dialogue, humor, the ability to nail the one perfect detail in a scene - that guy can do it all. Sad he is seen as "only" a genre writer. He transcends genre - a great American writer who IMHO changed American Literature, and for the better.

I couldn't agree more. Elmore Leonard's writing transcends genres. His dialogue and characterisation (plus all the rest of it) are awe-inspiring. He was also so darn good that it was easy for a reader to miss all that and just enjoy the moment he conjured up.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

I couldn't agree more. Elmore Leonard's writing transcends genres. His dialogue and characterisation (plus all the rest of it) are awe-inspiring. He was also so darn good that it was easy for a reader to miss all that and just enjoy the moment he conjured up.

Yeah. Like Vonnegut, or early John Irving, he is easy to read so people assume it can't be great literature.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thank you, you've all been a good help. I wanted to ask about an idea I had in my head, I did have an opinion when I asked a friend about it, wanted to get a second opinion from readers or story mods whoever sees this. I wanted one of my stories to take a dark turn or twist involving abuse. No, not sexual abuse more like physical. I'll give you an example; like bruises scratches on the arm, or a black eye. I was not sure if I could write that in my story. Since is kind of touchy to some people. I won't write how it happens, just mention the bruises, scratches, etc. I know you have to be careful writing about stories like that on here. I'm not sure if stories containing a little violence is okay. Even though I was told I could write about anything I wanted. with a few limits like age and other things. I still wanted to be sure.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by Blue_Eyed_Lady

Thank you, you've all been a good help. I wanted to ask about an idea I had in my head, I did have an opinion when I asked a friend about it, wanted to get a second opinion from readers or story mods whoever sees this. I wanted one of my stories to take a dark turn or twist involving abuse. No, not sexual abuse more like physical. I'll give you an example; like bruises scratches on the arm, or a black eye. I was not sure if I could write that in my story. Since is kind of touchy to some people. I won't write how it happens, just mention the bruises, scratches, etc. I know you have to be careful writing about stories like that on here. I'm not sure if stories containing a little violence is okay. Even though I was told I could write about anything I wanted. with a few limits like age and other things. I still wanted to be sure.

We don't want stories about abuse. We want stories in which everyone is happy in their sexual adventures. We expect consent in all of our stories. No force should be used to make anybody do anything sexual. A little violence is okay, but not sexual violence. We don't allow blood or weapons in any sexual situation, unless it's vampire fiction, then it has to be secondary to the sex. No death, of course, at least not death as a part of the sex scenes. You can have non-sexual violence in proper context, such as war, barroom brawls, etc. Violence is allowable in mysteries unless it is of a sexual nature. You can find what we disallow on this page: https://www.lushstories.com/disclaimer.aspx#submissions
[url]http://[/url]