Been dumped by a girl because your job was menial/low status

last reply
10 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I posted a question on the "Ask the gals" of "would you date a garbage man?" For some women that might not be a problem but for many that would be deal breaker.
(What woman wants to boast she is dating a garbage man? )

However, not woman admitted it would be a problem for her. I got accused of being a snob, one woman even suggested I see a therapist!

So, guys have you ever been dumped because your girl found another guy, A guy who drove a better car, had a better paying or higher status job than you?

Surely I am not alone in this experience.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely. I have both been passed by and been dumped by women over my financial status.

I think it says more about them than me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not so much dumped, but rejected at the start.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Yeah, you and I got into it a little on that previous thread. This one is cool.

In my starving artist days I used to fly my poverty proudly, like a flag, and I'm sure that was a deal breaker for quite a few women. Like others said, not so much dumped as passed over.

I once got dumped for a screenwriter who wrote a very popular (at the time) Jodie Foster movie. He got signed to write a new movie, made a gazillion bucks, and she went with him. Pissed me off. If he were a banker, I wouldn't have cared, but him being a successful writer chapped my ass. So to speak. smile
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Not properly 'dumped', but my 2nd girlfriend and I concertedly split up soon after she finished her university scholarship. The dynamic of our relationship drastically changed from me earning $16/hour at a warehouse job and her being a broke student living with her parents, to me still not having a proper diploma and her earning $30/hour. Our respective situations/ambitions suddenly weren't all that compatible anymore, so we mutually agreed to let the relationship go after 2-1/2 years.

A vaguely similar scenario occurred with my 3rd girlfriend, although the both of us more or less perceived our relationship as an informal/temporary thing from the start anyway; it was more of a casual 'exclusive fuck-buddy' type of deal which didn't last for much more than a year. I only got a proper diploma and a proper job at around 30-year-old by the way, so my current girlfriend is pretty much the first with whom I have genuine ambitions of settling down seriously.

A guy's job/status most definitely matters for long-term commitment (especially if kids are on the horizon), although from my personal experience I'd say that it has little to no impact for casual flings. Crude/risky/physical jobs or hazy ambitions can even work toward the whole 'bad boy' demeanor. Attributes that make for a 'great provider' or a 'great lover' can be vastly different (and even contradictory)... hence the widespread stereotype of the lawyer's wife cheating with the milkman or plumber.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Her is my own personal story. Many, many years ago I went to a club started chatting up a girl. Asked her to dance. She said no. Chatted some more
and asked again. Same answer. Then I said "I have $10,000 credit limit on my credit card (which was true)." Her face lit up. . now she was interested.

Then I said, "You had your chance" and walked away.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Hasabrain2
Her is my own personal story. Many, many years ago I went to a club started chatting up a girl. Asked her to dance. She said no. Chatted some more
and asked again. Same answer. Then I said "I have $10,000 credit limit on my credit card (which was true)." Her face lit up. . now she was interested.

Then I said, "You had your chance" and walked away.

Every single girl I've ever known in my life would majorly laugh her ass off if some kind of insistent beta-male started bragging about his credit limit as an act of desperation. Have you contemplated the (likely) possibility that you may have totally misinterpreted her reaction?

I mean, you bringing up this dubious story to validate your stubborn stance on the matter is actually pretty damn hilarious. So, you're allegedly a wealthy man, and instead of relating your successful marriage(s) or your overall success with girls to corroborate your 'women are a bunch of gold-diggers' thesis, the best argument you can share with us is that vague nightclub-anecdote when a perfect stranger and yourself parted ways after a mere 10 minutes (ie. a complete seduction failure).
Are you fucking serious?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never had that happen to me but I have felt negative repercussions for a financial situation. In college (i.e. when I was perpetually broke) I dated a girl that was better off than me financially and had tastes for doing things that were quite a bit out of my price range. She paid for me often but never downplayed it, almost kind of holding it over my head. It didn't help that her job as a ski instructor was far more intriguing than my burger-flipping duties. Needless to say it didn't work out but after that experience I could easily imagine a gal dumping her guy because of the size of his wallet or the title on his name-tag although I will say that I believe that most women are above that kind of behavior.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?