Tech problem

last reply
7 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I log in the website, I go to the drop down menu and look for desktop, After clicking on it, I get a webpage not associated with lushstories, basically a spam site only it leads nowhere. Any reason for this?
My universe may not necessarily agree with your's, but you have every right that you live happily in both.
Respect mine and I will respect yours. I fought and risked death for the right to be whom I am, even if I am clueless as to whom that may be.
I do not like the dark spots in My brain, but the spider webs are even worse.
Combat Veteran covers a vast arena, third degree burns from friendly fire with a disgruntled shipmate, stab wound from someone who felt is was permissible to hit a Lady with a twelve pack of alcohol; hit by a pickup truck by an individual on heroin. Was very quick to disabuse them of those ideas. Its all about control, only need physical contact in approximately 7 points of the body to enact terminal velocity upon those vermin.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
The current mobile version is full of rather annoying stuff in my opinion. Try adding ?v at the end (like lushstories.com?v) when you're on your mobile device. That way you'll go straight to the desktop version.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Matriarch
0 likes
Excuse the long answer to the short question!

The mobile site is predominantly a read-only portal for the stories / poems, with the advertising revenue from it, paying for the hosting of the desktop site too. I've tested it, and have encountered the same thing as you in the past. It's probably a pop-under ad page you're seeing. The desktop site should load though too, regardless. I believe the current system was set up, to show only one pop-under, per user, per month. I'd have to ask the sponsor.

We have had plans to make it all one responsive site, for quite some time now (regardless of device / platform). But with all the site functionality we have here (like private messaging, one on one chat, chat rooms, voting, comments, videos, profiles, ebooks etc.. all requiring account management / login / backend database etc.), it's not a small undertaking. We will probably start with a stripped down version of the desktop site when it does happen, to allow ads to be turned off, story voting / comments, simple chat, and so forth. Gav is looking at all our options.

It would probably take a full-time programmer, 3-6 months, to do it properly. That is time our programmer doesn't have unfortunately, and it would be cost prohibitive to outsource it (not to mention we wouldn't want 3rd parties, having access to our source code).

So, for now, we're stuck with it the way it is, I'm afraid.
0 likes
Okay, I knew this thread was on here somewhere.

The mobile site is useless for me at this point and the desktop site doesn't display well on my phone. One of the ads (don't know which one) is now throwing up fake virus warnings pretty much as soon as I open any category. I would love to read stories on my phone while I'm ... um ... resting (yeah, right) ... but that's not going to happen until this is fixed. It's not just annoying anymore. It's fucking dangerous to the health of my device since clicking OK on those fake warnings usually takes you to a very bad place.
Matriarch
0 likes
We'll take this up with the ad agency we use seeker4.

Our mobile site is due an update, and it's a priority.

You could turn off images in your browser settings, but that would be irritating when you surf other sites and have to turn them back on again.
0 likes
Quote by nicola
It would probably take a full-time programmer, 3-6 months, to do it properly. That is time our programmer doesn't have unfortunately, and it would be cost prohibitive to outsource it (not to mention we wouldn't want 3rd parties, having access to our source code).

If there are APIs available for the data belonging to the different parts of the website, then 3rd parties wouldn't need access to the source code to be able to make a responsive front-end for those parts.

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by noll

If there are APIs available for the data belonging to the different parts of the website, then 3rd parties wouldn't need access to the source code to be able to make a responsive front-end for those parts.

I'm sure Gav knows what it is you're talking about!

It's not a simple undertaking. To make a stripped down version of the desktop site, for mobile, and allow people to interact with it, requires a signup process. Voting and commenting on stories requires the mobile site to be able to access the desktop one's database for example. The same goes if we want members to sign up on the mobile site, to be able to PM or IM other members.

So it is a rather involved process.
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I'm sure Gav knows what it is you're talking about!

It's not a simple undertaking. To make a stripped down version of the desktop site, for mobile, and allow people to interact with it, requires a signup process. Voting and commenting on stories requires the mobile site to be able to access the desktop one's database for example. The same goes if we want members to sign up on the mobile site, to be able to PM or IM other members.

So it is a rather involved process.

I'm sure he does too.

The mobile app had access to the story data, so there must be some sort of API already. Not sure if there were any profile related options in the app, like the ones you mentioned, but if so then that API must already have had some authorization endpoints as well.

If the step to create a responsive site with all the options from the current site is too big, which it understandably is, then why not start with the core functionality: just reading stories? That alone would be enough to make it a viable replacement for the current mobile site which nobody seems to like. By slowly adding more of the features from the desktop site, more and more people will start to use the new responsive version. And at some point the current website can go offline.
In personal use, mobile devices already outnumber desktop computer in website traffic. And in some parts of the world they almost skipped the entire desktop era.

Anyway, it still costs a lot of money of course, but a 3rd party could make a responsive front-end without having access to the source code.

It could also be a nice opportunity to get rid of some old features that may be more in the way of improvement than adding something significant. A mobile first approach kinda forces you to think about what features are necessary, which ones are nice to have, and what features don't really add anything (anymore).