Login

Dunkirk

last reply
0 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Here is one of the trailers for the movie Dunkirk, coming to theaters July 21.

This is probably the movie that I am most looking forward to seeing this year. Now you might be thinking "Oh great, another war movie" But this one should be special for a number of reasons.

First of all, Christopher Nolan is directing it. So you can be sure that it will look amazing. Second of all it has Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy who are pretty much good in everything they do.

Now there are a few things that give me pause as to the success of this film. I think that there might be a lot of people going to see a big budget action movie like Saving Private Ryan. This one is only rated PG-13 so you probably wont be seeing any dismembered corpses being used as human shield like in Hacksaw Ridge. The director has stated that this movie is about the emotions of the characters and their experiences. It was filmed in triptych, with three points of view (land, air and sea.) I can also be pretty sure that this one wont involve some ridiculous Titanic-esque love triangle like in Michael Bay's shitty depiction of Pearl Harbor.

I'm a bit surprised that an American studio like WB is tackling this subject. For the longest time, American studios had no interest in big budget war films that didn't involve American troops. I wonder if the majority of Americans have even heard of Dunkirk?

Anyone else looking forward to this movie?
What has the marketing been like in the US vs the UK?