Is Wonder Woman Overrated??

last reply
31 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Now I know the sociological implications of the new Wonder Woman movie. I understand that it’s the highest grossing opening weekend for any female director. I also realize in the world of comic book movies, that female led films are quite rare indeed.

I also feel the need to state that this movie is simply not the masterpiece that many have touted it as. With an 8.0 currently on IMDB this puts Wonder Woman into the same category as the majority of the nominees for Best Picture at last year’s academy awards.

Now, I know what you are thinking right about now…

“Oh here we go. Another anti-PC douche bag who couldn’t get a date for prom so he’s on the internet trashing the closest thing to a female driven superhero movie we’ve ever had!”

No. In fact, I think that anyone gives this movie a 1 out of 10 should probably take a break from watching movies and go sort out their mommy-issues in a way that doesn’t annoy rationally thinking humans. If you think this movie is a 1/10 then you have no idea what a bad movie actually is.

I give it a tentative 7/10, and I feel like that rating is being quite generous. I’m also judging it in relation to other super hero movies and not to Schindler’s List or The Shawshank Redemption. I feel like a rating of 70% puts it in good standing with movies like Thor or Captain America (Both which I feel, Wonder Woman kind of borrowed aspects from).

So what did I like about the movie? (I still have a hard time referring to comic movies as “films”)…

Gal Gadot. They simply could not have chosen a better person for the role. Mark my words, she will be the biggest female movie star in the next few years.

The second act. The “fish out of water” storyline combined with the World War One battle scenes really worked. The combination of naivety and bad-ass ass kicking was the perfect way to show the dichotomy of the character.

I’m also impressed that they managed to take this:

...and make what originally intended to be a pro-USA World War Two propaganda tool and making it somewhat cool.

After all, as a former comic book nerd, I can’t think of anyone that actually ever bought a Wonder Woman comic. If they took something that hasn’t been in vogue for the last 70 years and make it somewhat palatable, then I can give them their dues.

I won’t get into the negatives, because I think the cheesy accents and 80’s style montages should be a dead giveaway.

It’s more than decent, but given the budget, it could have been much better. I think we would all be better off if we could actually just ignore the genitalia of the director and the main star and actually judge the movie on how good it actually is.

Nobody wants a prize for being the “smartest retard in the room.” Let’s judge the end product on how good it is, not on how many glass ceiling’s they are perceived to be breaking. Female directors are just as capable as male directors. Don’t elevate their work simply because they happen to have a vagina.

Have a nice day smile
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Yes, yes it is.

I actually mentioned it was in the "last movie you watched" thread or something like that. Of course one of the local social justice warriors came in to tell me I was wrong and how it's the best movie ever. I brought up specific points about the movie that they did not even recall which makes me think they weren't watching that closely and went into the movie with a reverse closed mind, if that makes sense.

The stuff on the island was good, the acting was good especially the two leads. The villains were awful except doctor poison. She was interesting but maybe only because the other villains were really bad. Some of the worst. Lots of gaps in the narrative that don't make sense and would be unforgivable in a non superhero movie. It was just ok. It's the best of the rest I guess.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Yes.

I enjoyed it enough to see it twice, but I definitely thought it was overrated. Gadot did an okay job of playing a straight man, but even her deadpan humor fell flat often, as did the whole "Little Mermaid first time on land"-esque naïveté. Her fight sequences were fucking amazing, but overall she translated as a very flat character onscreen. Chris Pine definitely out-performed her.

Also, I think the story line was pretty sloppy. And what was up with that one guy who commissioned Dr. Poison to create the killer gas? They could have done so much more to develop that story line, but instead the random scenes of two bad guys being sinister just felt like filler.

While enjoyable, it just felt about as cliché as any other superhero movie, so it wasn't really groundbreaking in that regard.

Outside of the obvious fact that it has a female lead (kick-ass female lead, I might add), it falls in line nicely with all the other superhero movies. It just doesn't stand apart from them.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by Dani
Yes.

I enjoyed it enough to see it twice, but I definitely thought it was overrated. Gadot did an okay job of playing a straight man, but even her deadpan humor fell flat often, as did the whole "Little Mermaid first time on land"-esque naïveté.

Funny you mention that. I thought they had Gal Gadot embodying how Superman SHOULD have been depicted before Zach Snyder got his grubby hands over everything. The Donner version of Superman I mean.

Going from there, yes, The movie was overrated. Partly because it is the first real female led comic book movie. Partly because literally every DCEU movie had been steaming hot garbage. Low rent bullshit after Nolan's masterpieces. It was a massive win because it was finally a movie that was enjoyable to watch in their depressing universe of dark grays, blacks, and sepia tone trash.

I actually found Gal Gadot undeniably charming. And this is coming from someone who wasn't impressed with her limited screen time in the F&F movies. She had the looks going in minus the muscle she later put on. But she was entrancing. I thought she pulled off the awkward humor well. And I dunno where the Little Mermaid comparison comes from but I haven't seen that old Disney stuff in years.

Pine definitely outperformed her but he's a terribly underrated actor in my opinion. He's very good. Hell or High Water is a better example of his acting range than many of the action flicks he's been in.

Anyway. I hated the Snyder slow-mo/fast-mo action sequences. Annoying. Things looked better at normal speed. The plot, yea, kinda weak. Should have saved Ares for the sequel. But I get needing him because otherwise there's no threat to her in the movie.

The other sidekick comedy relief roles were good.

I probably rate it high just because every other DCEU I've watched has sucked away hours of my life I'll never get back.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
I enjoyed it a lot. It's far and away the best of the DCEU movies. The No-Mans-Land scene, which I hear was nearly taken out of the movie, was quite powerful in my opinion.

Some of the CGI - especially on the lasso of truth - was cringe-worthy, but not enough to pull me out of the action for more than a few seconds at a time.

It will be the first DCEU movie I end up buying so I can rewatch it again. I didn't even bother going to the theater for BvS. Waited until it was available to rent on digital before I gave it a go.

To me, the best part of that movie was the thing everyone said was going to kill it when it was first announced - Ben Affleck.

But anyway...

It doesn't really have to be a masterpiece. Female led and female directed box office success set a low bar. the DCEU set a (really) low bar. It didn't just clear those bars, it vaulted well beyond them. It's natural that the people who want to see more from both of those angles are going to champion it loudly and proudly, and their enthusiasm is going to end up affecting and inflating the aggregated numbers.

I'm all for letting it have its time in the sun without over analyzing its place in the larger scheme of things.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Probably the best DC movie I have seen in some time. Its got a character that seems Relatable and human, even though she is a god. Its got a plot that makes sense. Its got good action scenes that make sense. Solid writing. Its even got color scenes that pop on that island. Compared to the awful and frankly nonsensical Batman Vs Superman. I mean cmon Batman kills and Superman kills whats the difference between them really? Also we get to witness Bruce Waynes parents dead again in slow mo. That scene never gets old.

Suicide squad had the awful Joker remix. The heroes using guns. If they needed people to use guns why not send in the Army? The leader of the Suicide Squad killing her own men? I could go on for pages about the plot holes in the movie. Its also very bland looking. Also why they included Crok in the movie is still a mystery to me. Or boomerrang that makes barely any use of his rang. I felt I got my moneys worth out of Wonder Woman. I would probably give it a 8. The over the top lesser villains are much to hammy for me.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Yes, yes it is.

I actually mentioned it was in the "last movie you watched" thread or something like that. Of course one of the local social justice warriors came in to tell me I was wrong and how it's the best movie ever. I brought up specific points about the movie that they did not even recall which makes me think they weren't watching that closely and went into the movie with a reverse closed mind, if that makes sense.

He's referring to me. i simply didn't understand his reference at the time. also, i smoke a lot of pot. oh, and also, i just like to disagree with everything Jack says on general principle.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by baddog992

Suicide squad had the awful Joker remix. The heroes using guns. If they needed people to use guns why not send in the Army? The leader of the Suicide Squad killing her own men? I could go on for pages about the plot holes in the movie. Its also very bland looking. Also why they included Crok in the movie is still a mystery to me. Or boomerrang that makes barely any use of his rang. I felt I got my moneys worth out of Wonder Woman. I would probably give it a 8. The over the top lesser villains are much to hammy for me.

yeah, but it had Harley. Every moment she was on screen it became the best movie ever made. not best superhero movie or best action movie. the best movie. ever. made. except for Wonder Woman which is the best movie ever made. ever.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Nobody wants a prize for being the “smartest retard in the room.”

speak for yourself, Yellow David Bowie Man. if it come with a badge, i'm all over it.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dani
Yes.

I enjoyed it enough to see it twice, but I definitely thought it was overrated. Gadot did an okay job of playing a straight man, but even her deadpan humor fell flat often, as did the whole "Little Mermaid first time on land"-esque naïveté. Her fight sequences were fucking amazing, but overall she translated as a very flat character onscreen. Chris Pine definitely out-performed her.

Also, I think the story line was pretty sloppy. And what was up with that one guy who commissioned Dr. Poison to create the killer gas? They could have done so much more to develop that story line, but instead the random scenes of two bad guys being sinister just felt like filler.

While enjoyable, it just felt about as cliché as any other superhero movie, so it wasn't really groundbreaking in that regard.

Outside of the obvious fact that it has a female lead (kick-ass female lead, I might add), it falls in line nicely with all the other superhero movies. It just doesn't stand apart from them.

you are a traitor to your species, blue woman of Pluto.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

He's referring to me. i simply didn't understand his reference at the time. also, i smoke a lot of pot. oh, and also, i just like to disagree with everything Jack says on general principle.

Sure...

But if you really can't remember a movie's plot right after you watch it and you decide to engage in debate about it anyway, maybe you should cut back a bit.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by sprite

you are a traitor to your species, blue woman of Pluto.

Aww man. My free-thinking is bringing us down.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Sure...

But if you really can't remember a movie's plot right after you watch it and you decide to engage in debate about it anyaway, maybe you should cut back a bit.

it wasn't a debate. i simply stated that you're wrong. a debate means that i am willing to present well thought out arguments and am open to changing my mind if your arguments sway me. i am and was uninterested from either outcome. i simply wanted to point out that you were wrong. it's really very simple.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Aww man. My free-thinking is bringing us down.

follow the manifesto, dammit!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

it wasn't a debate. i simply stated that you're wrong. a debate means that i am willing to present well thought out arguments and am open to changing my mind if your arguments sway me. i am and was uninterested from either outcome. i simply wanted to point out that you were wrong. it's really very simple.

Oh so you were just attention hounding again.

Fair enough.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Oh so you were just attention hounding again.

Fair enough.

cause i'm a hypocritical whore, remember?

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

cause i'm a hypocritical whore, remember?

Hmmm... I think it's the opposite that spurred this exchange.

PS: You aren't insinuating I called you that I hope. That would be pretty dishonest of you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
First of all whoever created this topic needs punched lol!! Being a huge Wonder Woman fan and waiting forever for her to finally get the love she deserves. How can anyone say it was overrated. When there have many many Superman movies, Batman movies. She's always been overshadowed by other heroes or whatever. I saw it four times and each time I get an overwelming happiness and almost tears at certain parts of the movie. Some parts maybe cliched or over the top but who cares. It's become my all time favorite movie.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Miss_Michelle
First of all whoever created this topic needs punched lol!! Being a huge Wonder Woman fan and waiting forever for her to finally get the love she deserves. How can anyone say it was overrated. When there have many many Superman movies, Batman movies. She's always been overshadowed by other heroes or whatever. I saw it four times and each time I get an overwelming happiness and almost tears at certain parts of the movie. Some parts maybe cliched or over the top but who cares. It's become my all time favorite movie.

This why lush is still funny.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Miss_Michelle

I guess I'm the one you should punch..... lol

I gave it a 7/10... Is that not good enough? In all fairness, it was better than the majority of Superman movies and like 50% of the Batman movies. Aside from Nolan's Batman movies it was the best.

I must admit that I am not a huge fan of DC comics. I feel like they really haven't progressed beyond 1960.

I'm glad you feel that strongly about it though. Its probably the same feeling I felt when I saw Logan. (I've only seen Logan 3 times though...)

I think part two will be better still. They had to cover like 30 years in this one, so with the origin story out of the way, stories have a better chance to develop.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just saw it yesterday, I thought it was really good.
Lurker
0 likes
By this point in my life I'm sure that people demand way too much from superheros and comic book characters.

Like story, realism, plot points and passion matters... until they get to the end of one storyline and decide to write another.

Imagine if authors just spent their lives rewriting storylines with the same characters: "In this 15th spin-off of our original series we'll have Ana Steele be the one who's successfully employed and Christian Grey is the beggar on the street corner."
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I gave it a 7/10... Is that not good enough? In all fairness, it was better than the majority of Superman movies and like 50% of the Batman movies. Aside from Nolan's Batman movies it was the best.

So, would you advise waiting until it appears on Amazon and then investing the $9.99 and two hours of time - or throwing down the $30 and time to go see it with a friend at the metroplex?

Asking for a friend.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
By this point in my life I'm sure that people demand way too much from superheros and comic book characters.

I don't think people demand too much from superhero movies. I think that the people that grew up with these characters are now adults and as adults they enjoy seeing the characters that they grew up with in "adult" situations."

So now movie studios are trying to walk the fine line between appeasing adults who enjoy an R rated realistic portrayal, and selling toys in Happy Meals. It's hard to do.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

So, would you advise waiting until it appears on Amazon and then investing the $9.99 and two hours of time - or throwing down the $30 and time to go see it with a friend at the metroplex?

Asking for a friend.

I would tell your friend to download it for free and then think about Gal Gadot while his girlfriend fucks him in the ass with a strap on. (That whip of truth would make for some great role playing)

Then pay the 10 bucks to see Gadot in whatever passion project she chooses to do now in order to support independent film making and give support to movies that have something to offer besides action figures for 40 year olds to jerk off to.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Superman was out flying around as he often does, when he saw Wonder Woman spread eagle on a blanket in a field. Of course, his super cock was erect in milliseconds. He lowered his tights as he swooped down from the sky, landing between Wonder Woman's spread thighs.

After a few super thrusts, he shot his super load then jumped to his feet all proud of himself.

"How was that, Wonder Woman?"

"I don't know, Superman," she answered. "You just buttfucked The Invisible Man."
Lurker
0 likes
If Wonder Woman isn't invisible then what use is an invisible plane?
Lurker
0 likes
Not overrated...