Competitor voting in competitions

last reply
14 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the current competition 'Pure Filth' I noticed that once submissions were closed and the voting could be shown, my entry 'Cold Shock' has 23 '5' votes and i '2'. Of course, everybody has their own criteria for voting, but I think that, since the vote average is taken into account for judging (bringing into play the 'popularity contest' factor, rather than solely judging entries based on the words on the page), that competitors shouldn't be allowed to vote on each other, lest an unscrupulous competitor should try to weaken an opponents standing.

Maybe I'm out of line, but I am curious as to how others feel about this.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by latecomer91364
In the current competition 'Pure Filth' I noticed that once submissions were closed and the voting could be shown, my entry 'Cold Shock' has 23 '5' votes and i '2'. Of course, everybody has their own criteria for voting, but I think that, since the vote average is taken into account for judging (bringing into play the 'popularity contest' factor, rather than solely judging entries based on the words on the page), that competitors shouldn't be allowed to vote on each other, lest an unscrupulous competitor should try to weaken an opponents standing.

That's why stories have a weighted average calculated by discarding the highest and lowest scores every ten votes. That anomalous two (being the lowest score on your story) will not count towards the total average once you pass a quantity of ten, which you have.

Hope that makes sense.
Lurker
0 likes
Wat did you said!
Matriarch
0 likes
Hi latecomer91364.

To address your concerns, on top of what Liz has said already:

1) I remove all votes on stories from competitors. Some are indeed unsrupulous, which is why I do it. I mentally put a black mark against their name too.

2) I use weighted average purely as a guide. I will typically read the top 25-30 results. If I have time, I will read them all. The shortlist then goes to the panel of judges.

You are well within the Top 20
High Lord of Darkness
0 likes
This is all extremely interesting information. But can this process be documented as a sticky on a forum or added to all the competitions that you run in future. If I read and like someone else's entry, I normally give a good mark, why else would I read it all the way through otherwise. Do people who give good scores get a mental tick against their names lol?

At what point are the other contestants votes removed before the required 10 or after?
Also, what happens if all the people that voted for you are competitors themselves. What score do you get then? A zero?
And the final judging, is that done by a panel or is it based on the scores alone? Sorry this seems to be answered above.

I've never been clear as to what the process is, but describing it would be enormously helpful to everyone.

Really interested to know how it all works.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal!

Watch this space...She is really - cumming soon!

0 likes
The competition judging process:

- Our judges are asked to read as many competition stories as they can, over the duration of the competition. We ask them to do this, in case some gems slip through, which should be given due consideration.

- The top 20 - 25 stories (depending on the # entries) based on highest average score, are then read.

- That list is whittled down to a Top 10, which are then sent to a panel of judges.

- The panel is made up of a team of at least half a dozen judges, including moderators, "standard" members, and myself.

- The total # points from each judge, for each story, are added together. The stories with the highest point score, win.

I believe this is the fairest way to do it. It takes several days for me to remove scores from competitors, to read through the stories, score them, write notes and draw up a shortlist. Judges are asked to mention any they feel should be included in the Top 10.

I have been on many other story sites. The worst of which, basically allocate the top prizes, to those stories receiving the highest average scores. That leaves their competitions open to manipulation, as friend spamming is rife. Someone with 500 "friends", can win with a sub-standard story.

The quote is a description by nicola. It's on page 123 of the "Which improvements or features would you like to see added?" thread. Hope it helps some.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
If I read a competitor's piece, and I choose to vote, I vote honestly. I would never sandbag a competitor and I would hope that my fellow competitors would treat me the same way. There have been some amazing comp pieces that once I read them, I knew I had read the winner. However, knowing that in the realm of the comps, votes from my fellow competitors aren't counted for or against me does help. I think for most of us, it's just the earning the minimum 10 that we mostly worry about. Besides, I've seen some winners of comps not get all 5's and I would trust those lower scores were from those not in the comps (at least, that's what I'd like to hope for anyway.)

In the end, the judges have the most difficult job in picking the winners and it's rarely if ever an easy job. These judges never get enough respect for all their hard work, including Nicola.
Matriarch
0 likes
I don't think this warrants a sticky, or cluttering up our standard rules page with indepth notes on how winners are chosen.

And why would I want to publicize in great detail the process? I think I've said too much already. I get enough other sites ripping off my design, content, setup, methodology etc., as it is. You can imagine how frustrating that is.

This is linked to in every competition:

https://www.lushstories.com/competitions/standard-rules.aspx

8. Stories will be judged based on a number of factors. These include the average score received from surfers / members (stories need to have a minimum of 10 votes to qualify for the competition), but primarily, from the input of a selected panel of judges. The decisions on the winners are final, and no correspondence concerning any aspect of our choices will be entered into.

All you need to know, is I usually spend 3-4 days weeding out the spam / down votes, then reading as many entries as possible, writing notes and scoring, as I go. It becomes clear once you hit the 20 - 25 mark typically, that the quality of stories is diminishing, and that's when I stop.

The down voters are easy to spot. It's usually either an entrant or someone who just happens to be on one of the entrants' friend list.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter
If I read a competitor's piece, and I choose to vote, I vote honestly. I would never sandbag a competitor and I would hope that my fellow competitors would treat me the same way. There have been some amazing comp pieces that once I read them, I knew I had read the winner. However, knowing that in the realm of the comps, votes from my fellow competitors aren't counted for or against me does help. I think for most of us, it's just the earning the minimum 10 that we mostly worry about. Besides, I've seen some winners of comps not get all 5's and I would trust those lower scores were from those not in the comps (at least, that's what I'd like to hope for anyway.)

In the end, the judges have the most difficult job in picking the winners and it's rarely if ever an easy job. These judges never get enough respect for all their hard work, including Nicola.

Eh. The nature of LUSH is to hand out 5s in many cases like candy, or in fear of retribution of a low score because you gave a low score. In my eyes, fives are a perfect story. Wouldn't change anything over what the author wrote. 99% clear of grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes (unless there's an intended style, in which case I think perfect grammar is a bit fucking silly). And the story flows well.

There are far more five-vote competition stories out there and in general, than stories/entires over the years actually worthy of a five. Even some competition winners aren't entirely perfect.

Anyway, 4s are underestimated and are perfectly acceptable scores given to eventual competition winners.

2 (don't even bother voting if that's bad as I likely didn't finish reading it anyway).
3 is average.
4 is above average.
5 is excellent.

I'd say the Lush scoring system is ultimately meaningless, but that's just me. And it's a debate that's been in almost every competition.

What ultimately matters is content, originality, and if you asked me, successfully different stylistic flairs than the standard fair. Though style is probably the most subjective of the lot when it comes to judging.

Regardless. I'd say the scoring is ultimately on the lower end of deciding decisions in judging winners. I sure as fuck wouldn't trust the scoring system. I sure as hell don't trust Amazon's scoring system for books.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
What ultimately matters is content, originality, and if you asked me, successfully different stylistic flairs than the standard fair. Though style is probably the most subjective of the lot when it comes to judging.

This.

Plus the basics of punctuation and grammar, being as accurate as possible.

The average scores are merely there, to serve as a very rough guide of where the cut-off point is for me. They are usually fairly representative, when it comes to stories at the lower end of the scale.

I have had complaints in the past, by some authors, that their story had a perfect 5 score, and didn't even make the Top 10. Those people typically have lots of friends, but a cookie cutter story, is never going to win a competition here.

We've had Top 3 stories here in the past, which were ranked late twenties according to the average score alone. That's why I read as many as possible, and ask the judges to do the same, as the competition goes on.

I think we've flogged this one enough now MM!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by latecomer91364

I have only entered one competition. I read every other entry and scored either a 4 or a 5 irrespective of relationship to author.
I do read entries in other competitions [but not all competitions] and score either a 4 or a 5. If can't give a 4 or a 5 I don't score.
Personally, have never spammed a story, but if a friend does I understand. Wish I was quicker getting to some spammed competition entries.
In the competition I entered I wasn't placed and didn't expect to be when I read the depth of quality of the entries. I would not liked to have decided the places, but I did pick seven favourites, all of which made the top ten.
Am not a fan of the scoring system but have no objection to it. Close friends will always give a 5 even if you personally don't think it's worth it. Have to admit it is encouraging though, and everyone has their own taste.
I don't think the score received in a comp should be made public. Trust the judging system and avoid inevitable controversy. When you read the results and reread the winning entries the quailty shines through.

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
Eh. The nature of LUSH is to hand out 5s in many cases like candy, or in fear of retribution of a low score because you gave a low score. In my eyes, fives are a perfect story. Wouldn't change anything over what the author wrote. 99% clear of grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes (unless there's an intended style, in which case I think perfect grammar is a bit fucking silly). And the story flows well.

There are far more five-vote competition stories out there and in general, than stories/entires over the years actually worthy of a five. Even some competition winners aren't entirely perfect.

Anyway, 4s are underestimated and are perfectly acceptable scores given to eventual competition winners.

2 (don't even bother voting if that's bad as I likely didn't finish reading it anyway).
3 is average.
4 is above average.
5 is excellent.

I'd say the Lush scoring system is ultimately meaningless, but that's just me. And it's a debate that's been in almost every competition.

Regardless. I'd say the scoring is ultimately on the lower end of deciding decisions in judging winners. I sure as fuck wouldn't trust the scoring system. I sure as hell don't trust Amazon's scoring system for books.

I've heard the complaint before about the issues with the 5's on stories... both comp stories and others many times over. I've heard the bitching and whining when some authors get 3's, 2's, or the dreaded 1. A long time ago I accepted that people will vote what they will and there is nothing I can do about it. If someone feels my story is worthy of 1, I trust they have a reason. Score trashing isn't as bad here as other sites (like Lit). While others might rally around a low score I'm given, I just nod and smile. Now that we no longer know who votes on our stories, I hope it will bring forth more honesty in the scoring.

I did say I've read some comp entries that I knew would win, and I was right. Call it an educated guess at best, or the ability to recognize incredible quality. I've also read some that placed in the Top 3 or even the Top 10 I thought were pure crap and I chose to not vote for fear of being accused of score trashing. But reading stories and evaluating them is on some level, very subjective. Since I'm not a comp judge (nor do I want to be) I can be as subjective as I wish. I'm sure the comp judges have for lack of a better term a rubric of some sorts to help them sort out the winners. As Nicola said, after a while the crap is easily filtered out.

As I said before, the judges have a difficult and too often thankless job. I've been blessed to have ranked in the Top 10, 12, & 15 in the last few comps I've dared to enter. So to the judges, whomever you are, Thank You for considering my pieces worthy.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm no expert on this topic, and not really a good writer either.

But I don't think the Comments or Votes should count at all in determining who wins a competition.
The quality of the story or poem should be the only deciding factor I think.

As an example:
In this past Passion Competition?
I had by a far number the most Comments(126) and Votes(129) on my poem entry then anyone else,
with an average scoring of 4.94 when the competition ended I think.
I didn't even make the top 15 though. So I really thought that Comments and Voting didn't matter anyway.
I had a lot of competitor entries who Commented and Voted on my poem.
Maybe that's where I got the few 3's and 4's scored? I not know, and not important to me really.

I was very happy so many welcomed me in the competition and in writing for my first time ever.
It was fun and I'm glad so many liked my poem.
With so many wonderful writers here? I would have been completely surprised if I had won anything...smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not going to quote anyone in particular, but thank you to all respondents - I've certainly had more answered than the question I asked, and I think it's a great way to evaluate the entries in the contest. The way I'm seeing things from the excellent input is that the voting would be a simple qualifying round (it's like 'You have to be this tall to go on this ride'), then once as much 'ballot box stuffing' as possible is eliminated, the remainders go on to the stage where the criteria consists of the 'pure factors': writing/story/plot/innovation/character and all the subcategories of parsing, grammar, syntax and 'polish'.

It's a very pragmatic way to do it - it keeps more of a burden off of the mods and anyone else in the trenches, because they ARE all volunteers, and as so, taxing their time unnecessarily would show a disregard for their time and efforts, which I agree should be applauded.
Matriarch
0 likes
Great analogy latecomer, spot on.