Polish trouble

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I dont maintain long nails for the convenience trimmed ones offer.

When i go for a mani-pedi, i use clear polish usually.

The problem is after its dry, the surface of my nail becomes rough.

I follow all the instructions.

The polish i bought must have been sitting in the store shelf for a few months, since it was the only bottle left.

What would be the reason the "finish" doesnt turn out to be smooth?
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Holy shit! I thought there was trouble in Poland.

Don't scare me like that...

But to answer your question, lots of reasons.

Did you use a base coat? If so, what kind? We're your hands dry and devoid of oil? Oil can really mess up a coat (or two) of your nail polish.

Also, it may be as you stated that it was so old that the polish had separated in the bottle but you hadn't really noticed because it was clear.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Dani

LOL, same here ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I also thought there was trouble in Poland and this was the Think Tank. LOL

Anyway... what brand/kind of clear polish did you use? Is it possible you used a base coat rather than a top coat? That would account for the rough finish, because base coats (while also clear) usually have a rougher/sticky finish meant to help regular coloured polish grip onto the nail plate.

Otherwise, you may have ended up with an old bottle of clear polish or it might be that the brand doesn't provide that thick gel-like glossy finish (like a coat of Seche Vite would give you). Some brands (esp ones that claim to be gentler on the nails, 2-in-1 base/top coats, vegan, more natural) are thinner and don't have the ability to even out any natural bumps or ridges on your natural nail.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you. I think I made the mistake of buying an old polish thats all. I will see if I can change the title of the thread.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Don't scare me like that...

But to answer your question, lots of reasons.

Did you use a base coat? If so, what kind? We're your hands dry and devoid of oil? Oil can really mess up a coat (or two) of your nail polish.

Also, it may be as you stated that it was so old that the polish had separated in the bottle but you hadn't really noticed because it was clear.

Happy to see you on here smile
0 likes
Have you considered a professional gel (shellac, whatever) mani or mani pedi? Lacquer straight onto my natural nails is gone within a day or two, because I wash my hands constantly and use the alcohol hand gel all the time. The gel nail treatment is terrific, I can keep my nails short (or have my manicurist keep them short) and still have a beautiful "manicure".

As for what is going on now with your nails, Dani's advice is pretty spot on.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!