Introducing our new "Bookish" Stories Competition, $150 1st Prize

last reply
37 replies
3.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
September includes both "National Read a Book Day", and "International Literacy Day", which has inspired our latest competition.

Stories should be related to books / reading in some way.

Competition Theme

A scattering of plot seeds might help some authors harvest a few ideas:

Nerdy but kinky bookworms, sexy librarians, hot teacher / professor, literature / reading circles, author / editor / publisher power plays, sex games involving reciting book quotes and spanking as a punishment for failure, reading cafe hookups, undercover journalists investigating BDSM clubs and getting too involved, a ghostwriter hired to write for a sexy politician, sports figure, or actor etc.

As an added literary challenge, stories should be between 2500 and 3000 words.

Prizes:

Winner: $150
Second Place: $100
Third Place: $50

Full details can be found here >>

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Forget the competition. What have I gotta do to get that woman's phone number?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I’m sorry Liz, but you are too late. I already have it, and since I don’t ‘kiss and tell’, I’m not giving it out to anyone. She is all mine, and I’m keeping her. You will never know what a great prize you lost out on. Better luck next time.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by nicola
September includes both "National Read a Book Day", and "International Literacy Day", which has inspired our latest competition.

Stories should be related to books / reading in some way.

Competition Theme

A scattering of plot seeds might help some authors harvest a few ideas:

Nerdy but kinky bookworms, sexy librarians, hot teacher / professor, literature / reading circles, author / editor / publisher power plays, sex games involving reciting book quotes and spanking as a punishment for failure, reading cafe hookups, undercover journalists investigating BDSM clubs and getting too involved, a ghostwriter hired to write for a sexy politician, sports figure, or actor etc.

As an added literary challenge, stories should be between 2500 and 3000 words.

Prizes:

Winner: $150
Second Place: $100
Third Place: $50

Full details can be found here >>

These word limits are punishment enough, but this does sound like a great theme and one I might be able to get behind, underneath, on top of, etc.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite

I’m sorry Liz, but you are too late. I already have it, and since I don’t ‘kiss and tell’, I’m not giving it out to anyone. She is all mine, and I’m keeping her. You will never know what a great prize you lost out on. Better luck next time.

you know she does the Hunger Game thing with a bow and arrow, right? I wouldn't be pushing my luck if i were you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
From simple minds come simple questions.

Could some would-be contestant get away with : comic books, cook books, coloring books, etc.? Not that I'd resort to something so hokey, not me. I'm just wondering. ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
I'm excited about this one - I can see a nerd-fest brewing!
0 likes
As a (non-practicing) librarian, I love this theme. Not sure if I'll get something written, but I'll take a stab at it for sure.
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
As a (non-practicing) librarian, I love this theme. Not sure if I'll get something written, but I'll take a stab at it for sure.

i really hope you enter.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
From simple minds come simple questions.

Could some would-be contestant get away with : comic books, cook books, coloring books, etc.? Not that I'd resort to something so hokey, not me. I'm just wondering. ;)

The theme is books and reading. I don't think you would read a coloring book! Cookbooks are (usually) for checking ingredients and following recipes, rather than "proper" reading, if you get my drift.

I guess comic books would be fine, if you wanted a light hearted approach.

0 likes
Quote by browncoffee

i really hope you enter.

300ish words written, but I'll likely ditch some of that and start over. Not quite getting the atmosphere I want.

back.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Liz wrote

LikeToWrite wrote:

sprite wrote:
you know she does the Hunger Game thing with a bow and arrow, right? I wouldn't be pushing my luck if i were you.

No Sprite, I didn’t know she was such a great marksman, but that is even better. Who knows, perhaps Liz is actually Cupid in disguise, shooting one of her little love tipped arrows into the air. Oh look. Here comes one now, straight and true. I feel it go deep in my chest piercing this poor ole aching heart of mine. And it burns, burns, burns, as my trembling hand slowly and carefully turns the tattered and weathered page. What will the next chapter bring this weary traveler as he continues his long and sometimes heart-breaking journey through his ‘Book of Love’?
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
I need 500 more words.

Can I bake cookies or have sex with someone to get the word limit stretched a bit?

No? All right, then.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
I need 500 more words.

Can I bake cookies or have sex with someone to get the word limit stretched a bit?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by sprite

It's actually 1000 words. I'm willing to work them off ten at a time.
Matriarch
0 likes
Just over one week to go before deadline day.

Remember to get your entries in a day or so before then, otherwise your entry may not get enough votes to qualify.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Remember to get your entries in a day or so before then, otherwise your entry may not get enough votes to qualify.

I guess I don't understand then what "deadline" means. Would it make more sense to have a submission deadline and then a period closed to new submissions during which entries continue to accrue (or not) the required number of votes?
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

I guess I don't understand then what "deadline" means. Would it make more sense to have a submission deadline and then a period closed to new submissions during which entries continue to accrue (or not) the required number of votes?

Yes. Yes it would!

I'm always open to better ideas on how to go about things. A simple code change will fix this.
0 likes
I have to say, having a minimum as well as maximum length had its challenges. The very first story I did for the comp ended up a bit shy. Never quite found another one that I wanted to write that fit the theme, though, so I went back and rewrote that story from scratch. You can read the results.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Fucking writer's block and bullshit at work has kept me from getting my entry done. Oh well, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Just getting to read the Comp entries now. Looks like the theme has really stirred up some great creativity.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
My first draft squeaked in with 45 words to spare. Knowing the disparity between my word count and Lush's, it's probably barely under the wire for official numbers.

We'll see what it looks like once I start editing this weekend.

My first draft was 1200 words over. When I finished editing, I was 100 words under. Guess I'm a bit ruthless at editing.
A poetry selection!
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Quote by Lupus

My first draft was 1200 words over. When I finished editing, I was 100 words under. Guess I'm a bit ruthless at editing.

I do so much editing as I write ( and muse ) that I've usually tightened things up to where I want them by the time I consider the first draft done. There's plenty on the cutting room floor, but it's already happened when I type the final punctuation mark.
The Linebacker
0 likes
It's the last day to get in a read and vote to help the authors meet the minimum to be entered in the competition. There are many awesome stories, even coming in very late. I urge y'all to check them out.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
It has been an interesting theme. I did try to read as many as I could. It is always interesting to see how people interpret the theme.

I was curious as to one thing. I thought that RRs and such were not awarded until after the competition was over. There is currently a story on the main page listed as a comp story that already has an RR. Perhaps I am mistaken in the protocol followed?
0 likes
Quote by Gillianleeeza
It has been an interesting theme. I did try to read as many as I could. It is always interesting to see how people interpret the theme.

I was curious as to one thing. I thought that RRs and such were not awarded until after the competition was over. There is currently a story on the main page listed as a comp story that already has an RR. Perhaps I am mistaken in the protocol followed?

Good. I'm glad someone else noticed. Didn't say anything myself but it did seem off to me. I did get an RR on a comp story once (actually, I think my first two comp efforts both got blue thumbs) but I can't recall when it appeared. I thought it was after the final announcement but maybe it was at closing.

It was a good theme and I love how much diversity it inspired. Everything from straight-up romance to fantasy to post-apoc s-f. And the writing, at least in the ones I've had time to read, has been very good. I'd have a tough time judging this one for sure.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Gillianleeeza

*nods* we're sorting that out - what happened was, it was entered as a regular story and RRd and then it was decided to enter into the contest - the usual fix is to scrub the original entry and re-enter it as new, but since it had already garnered votes and comments, and Gav is currently on vacation, it's been left to those with less tech skills to sort out...

Normal Adjacent
0 likes
Quote by sprite

*nods* we're sorting that out - what happened was, it was entered as a regular story and RRd and then it was decided to enter into the contest - the usual fix is to scrub the original entry and re-enter it as new, but since it had already garnered votes and comments, and Gav is currently on vacation, it's been left to those with less tech skills to sort out...

Gav gets vacation time???? He certainly deserves/needs it I'm sure.

Thank you for addressing my concerns. I too didn't really want to bring it up but I did find it confusing. I appreciate you clearing it up for me.