Login

Easter Eggs in your stories?

last reply
21 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Any other writers here ever slip "easter eggs" into their stories? Maybe a cameo by someone you know on Lush or a character from another story who has a walk-on or an event from one story appearing in the background of another. Do your readers ever notice? I did it in one recent story, having the characters from a past story appear in a small supporting role but it was more for my own fun. If anyone noticed, they didn't mention it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Any other writers here ever slip "easter eggs" into their stories? Maybe a cameo by someone you know on Lush or a character from another story who has a walk-on or an event from one story appearing in the background of another. Do your readers ever notice? I did it in one recent story, having the characters from a past story appear in a small supporting role but it was more for my own fun. If anyone noticed, they didn't mention it.

I'd don't know if I'd call them Easter Eggs, but a few of my stories connect with each other (that aren't part of their own series, that is).

At some point, I invented a fictional university, FPU (Fancy-Pants University), where I set a series of college stories with variations on the title H.U.G.E.

After that, all stories that involved colleges were set at FPU, and occasional little things cross over, such as mention of the "FPU mirror."

Then I wrote a story about a predatory professor who targeted his female students sexually, Professor Fry from Turnabout.

I included him in another FPU-set series, where he preys on Jenny in Jenny Gets an A and a Three Way.

And soon, when I finish writing the last installment of the Jenny series, it will connect with the H.U.G.E. series.

I also have a fictional high-school, called St. J's, which mostly appears as a feeder to FPU, that had one small cross-over. Two cameo characters in Snow Day are spied on in Coming Back for Homecoming, where they have a bigger role.
Lurker
0 likes
Ooh, ooh, I almost forgot... In my "Judgment of Alex" story, it's full of little fun (to me) easter-eggy stuff and allusions.

So, it's a pretty obvious modern reboot of the Judgment of Paris, but...

Alexander is another name for Paris in ancient literature.

The address is on "Ida Hill Road" (Mt. Ida).

The names of the women / goddesses are fairly transparent.
June Rheason for Juno / Hera (Rhea is her mother). I gave her big, rich brown eyes, to go with the idea that Hera is "ox-eyed."
Amanda Valentine for Venus / Aphrodite. In Latin, "Amanda" means something like "She who must be loved." She smiles and giggles a lot, to go with the Homeric epithet of "smiling Aphrodite."
Sophia Armstrong for Athena / Minerva. Sophia = wisdom, and I thought Armstrong would be a good surname.

June's off-stage husband is a bigwig who chases anything that moves, female or male, i.e., Zeus / Jupiter.
Amanda's off-stage husband is an invalid, from a rock-climbing accident (a la Hephaestus' / Vulcan's fall from Olympus)
Sophia is described as sporty, and having served in the military. Alex's mother, off-stage, suspects she's a lesbian because she hasn't ever shown much interest in men.

And the opening line about getting in trouble when you try to avoid it is a reference to how Paris's parents try to avert the prophecy that their son will bring about the destruction of the city, and by so doing, they bring about the self-fulfilling prophecy. (They send him far away, which puts him right in the goddesses' path when they need someone to judge their beauty contest. In the myth, he picks Aphrodite, which gives him the right to have Helen, which leads to the Trojan War, which leads to the downfall of Troy. And of course if his parents hadn't sent him away, he wouldn't have been in that spot, and yadda yadda yadda.)
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I put Easter eggs in all three of my Sapphic Tales stories on my own website. Here on Lush, I've included them in my Starship Starbride series. But Lushies will not 'get' them, as they were intended for another audience.
0 likes
I don't think I've overlapped any of my worlds or used an established character more than once. Though, I've been thinking about writing more from the world of my novel; if I do, there will be Easter eggs all over.

The names in Gutenberg are pretty obvious... Prudence for the pursued; Baptiste for the last name of the man who owns the Bible.

In Dirty Dog, Miss Sally is based on a real lady named Tracy that I met in college, though I haven't talked to her in 20 years and she's probably not on Lush. So, not an Easter Egg for anyone but me, I guess.

In Casualties, Fin wears a green Kepi. If you know the Civil War, it means he's a sniper. That can have a double-meaning in this story. Also, his name is a hint at how the story ends.

The sacrifice is inspired by the virgin sacrifice scenes from the 1981 movie Dragon Slayer (Peter McNicol stars and Jack is in no way based on him).

Every once in a while I drop in something for specific readers: the age of a protagonist might match their age, or sometimes a favorite fetish pops up. Sometimes they see it and sometimes they don't. ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

The sacrifice is inspired by the virgin sacrifice scenes from the 1981 movie Dragon Slayer (Peter McNicol stars and Jack is in no way based on him).

Every once in a while I drop in something for specific readers: the age of a protagonist might match their age, or sometimes a favorite fetish pops up. Sometimes they see it and sometimes they don't. ;)

What's the going rate to appear as an Easter egg in a burquette story?

And I am inordinately proud of myself for catching the dragon slayer movie. I used to watch it all the time on HBO.
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

What's the going rate to appear as an Easter egg in a burquette story?

And I am inordinately proud of myself for catching the dragon slayer movie. I used to watch it all the time on HBO.

All you have to do is inspire me. ;)

As far I know, you were the only person who recognized it. My wife is a huge fan and gave me the general idea. I would LOVE to see that movie remade (as opposed to Flatliners... )
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Most of my stories are interconnected, so I suppose in that way there are Easter eggs galore. Sometimes they refer to each other, sometimes they refer to a alternate timeline of events that might have happened in a different corner of the Shard-o-verse.

I will occasionally (okay more than occasionally) throw in a private joke for Layla.

I was gonna throw sprite's cat Cleo El Gato into Fuckkitty (there are, after all seven cats in it) but was fearful the cat would charge royalties.
The Linebacker
0 likes
DanielleX made me a character in a story.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I will occasionally (okay more than occasionally) throw in a private joke for Layla.

I was gonna throw sprite's cat Cleo El Gato into Fuckkitty (there are, after all seven cats in it) but was fearful the cat would charge royalties.

a pound of fresh tuna every time she's mentioned (so, presently, you owe her a pound).

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

a pound of fresh tuna every time she's mentioned (so, presently, you owe her a pound).

I DIDN'T use her name. I think I named the cat Zenith. Have your cat's lawyers contact my cat's lawyers.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Some of my stories are connected in a way that, maybe, very astute readers can figure out.

Mostly, though, I write a lot of allegory and symbolism (religious) into my stories. Colors, numbers, positions, directions . . . usually presenting a mercurial view of religion itself in which holy things are undone or turned into sexual vices.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Most of my stories are somehow connected to a fictional "Clinton State University" but I haven't brought any of the characters or events back for another story (apart from a few direct sequels). That said, I do sometimes slip in random references to different bits of pop-culture. If the readers get it, that's cool. If not, at least it's amusing to me, and that's cool, too.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

0 likes
Most of my stories are set in the fictional Ontario city of Eversham, which is kind of an amalgam of all the Ontario cities I've lived in over the years (Kitchener, Hamilton, London). It was originally to be used for my Lovecraftian horror as a Canadian analog to H.P. Lovecraft's Arkham, with Adenak University and Eversham College analogous to his Miskatonic University. When I started writing erotic, I just kind of gravitated to using it for that since I haven't really written horror in years. You'll see references to it from time to time though some, probably most, of my stories don't really name their setting. This technically means all of them could interact at some point.

The specific "easter egg" I mentioned at the beginning is in Wedding Night Blues. Ross, the best man, and his girlfriend April are the same Ross and April as in April's Secret and New Friends, albeit a few years on (in their two stories, they are university students, in Wedding Night Blues they have graduated and are living together albeit not wed).
Lurker
0 likes
The majority of my stories are in places I know. One of my earlier one's in Canada, where I met my wife. Some in London, with a Victorian setting.
Lurker
0 likes
The majority of my stories are in places I know. One of my earlier one's in Canada, where I met my wife. Some in London, with a Victorian setting.
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
I haven't reused characters or places (yet), but Al's Add-In has a few obscure references to strange Lush forum topics (as well as a slightly less obscure reference to the topic that it grew out of in the first place). And it will appear on any search for the word 'tennis', after a discussion we had in Rumplations about stories about sports. I doubt that anyone noticed, but it amused me enough to keep that line in the final version...
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Metilda

Some of my stories are connected in a way that, maybe, very astute readers can figure out.

Mostly, though, I write a lot of allegory and symbolism (religious) into my stories. Colors, numbers, positions, directions . . . usually presenting a mercurial view of religion itself in which holy things are undone or turned into sexual vices.

Wow. That sounds pretty cool. You're on my queue now. smile
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Most of my stories are set in the fictional Ontario city of Eversham, which is kind of an amalgam of all the Ontario cities I've lived in over the years (Kitchener, Hamilton, London). It was originally to be used for my Lovecraftian horror as a Canadian analog to H.P. Lovecraft's Arkham, with Adenak University and Eversham College analogous to his Miskatonic University. When I started writing erotic, I just kind of gravitated to using it for that since I haven't really written horror in years. You'll see references to it from time to time though some, probably most, of my stories don't really name their setting. This technically means all of them could interact at some point.

The specific "easter egg" I mentioned at the beginning is in Wedding Night Blues. Ross, the best man, and his girlfriend April are the same Ross and April as in April's Secret and New Friends, albeit a few years on (in their two stories, they are university students, in Wedding Night Blues they have graduated and are living together albeit not wed).

You've written Lovecraftian horror!? Any we could sample, without you revealing your IRL identity (I'm too lazy to stalk you, but I suppose others might)? You could share a sample on the blue site....
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

You've written Lovecraftian horror!? Any we could sample, without you revealing your IRL identity (I'm too lazy to stalk you, but I suppose others might)? You could share a sample on the blue site....

The only survivor of my horror writing period is already on the blue site. I use the same username there and it's my only story there so you should be able to find it easily. It's not the most Lovecraftian of the bunch but was part of creating my own horror mythos (I felt Cthulhu was a bit played out at the time so was trying to see where I could go without using the usual names and places). There's another that I kind of regret losing but it was rather similar to this one when I think back on it. I think it is explicitly set in Eversham but perhaps not the Eversham of my erotica. I think you'll see why.