Green?

last reply
31 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Is there anymore reviled color in fashion that green? I mean...beside yellow, but let's face it...if you like yellow you are probably a psychopath.

I don't really wear suits...partially because I don't really have the occasion to wear them.. and partially because my body type makes me look like a cartoon mob boss when I where them...

But I did buy a Lacoste suit with green tie a few years ago.

Really doesn't seem to be a popular color. I love green. And I used to have bright green eyes (before an injury turned my eyes into more of a dead-shark black look).

I love green. But I can kind of see how people don't... I once held a St. Patrick's Day party where my roommate and I put green filters over all the lights in our house. It made everyone look super disgusting.

I like Lacoste, so I have a lot of black and green. I think it's a good combo.

How do you feel about green in fashion?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i take it we're talking men's fashion here? or both genders? women can rock pretty much any color and be fashionable (long as they don't wear a swan dress). the picture above, the suit looks sharp, but it looks a bit on the somber/severe side with no bright colors to pep it up a little. a brighter, emerald green would have been more suitable, imo.

edit - just googled men's green suits under images and all i have to say is, don't do it! specially the ones that make them look like Batman's Riddler.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i take it we're talking men's fashion here? or both genders? women can rock pretty much any color and be fashionable (long as they don't wear a swan dress). the picture above, the suit looks sharp, but it looks a bit on the somber/severe side with no bright colors to pep it up a little. a brighter, emerald green would have been more suitable, imo.

edit - just googled men's green suits under images and all i have to say is, don't do it! specially the ones that make them look like Batman's Riddler.

I quite agree with you when you are dressed all in black like that. ;)
Yet as you said, women can rock just about anything.
But as you say, "its not easy being green," not if you are a man or a frog.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Is there anymore reviled color in fashion that green? I mean...beside yellow, but let's face it...if you like yellow you are probably a psychopath.

I don't really wear suits...partially because I don't really have the occasion to wear them.. and partially because my body type makes me look like a cartoon mob boss when I where them...Really doesn't seem to be a popular color. I love green. And I used to have bright green eyes (before an injury turned my eyes into more of a dead-shark black look).

You have dead eyes and look like a cartoon mob boss? Wow-wee. What's up, I'm Laura. So should we fuck now or now?
Site administrator
0 likes
Personally I like green but it just looks wrong with that dark suit... with a dark blue suit it would work a lot better. I also think yellow, particularly in the summer months, is fine. There was a time when yellow was very popular in mens knitwear here in the UK... at one time I had a yellow Pringle V neck jumper.

I admit I wear what I feel comfortable wearing and what I think looks smart and could not give a monkeys left armpit what is or is not fashionable at the time.
Gundriver
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

I admit I wear what I feel comfortable wearing and what I think looks smart and could not give a monkeys left armpit what is or is not fashionable at the time.

This
Resurrection the Beginning...My first story...Please feel free to have a look

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/resurrection-the-beginning.aspx

Resurrection the Resurgence...Second in the series...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/resurrection-the-resurgence.aspx

Resurrection the Redemption...Third in the series...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/novels/resurrectionthe-redemption.aspx
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Well, unless you are cosplaying the Riddler.33Ncw0AnvTbhSS7m

Actual line from Barenaked Ladies' classic "If I had a Million Dollars":

"If I had a million dollars (If I had a millon dollars)
I'd buy you a green dress (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)"

Which riffs off the earlier line, "I'd buy you a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, that's cruel)".

To be fair, though, the Ladies were a bit off on that one. I've seen some very lovely green dresses (in fact, IIRC, my mother wore one at my wedding).
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Well, unless you are cosplaying the Riddler.LjgSXdzyQl8QWa1R

Actual line from Barenaked Ladies' classic "If I had a Million Dollars":

"If I had a million dollars (If I had a millon dollars)
I'd buy you a green dress (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)"

Which riffs off the earlier line, "I'd buy you a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, that's cruel)".

To be fair, though, the Ladies were a bit off on that one. I've seen some very lovely green dresses (in fact, IIRC, my mother wore one at my wedding).

i rocked green at my brother's wedding, but i usually look good i green. yellow, not so much.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I see what you're saying. I would never wear a total green suit. That would just be weird. I do have a few green shirts that look good with a black sport coat. I can't really find any good pics of the stuff I have since fashion now seems to be skewed towards hipster tight pants that don't come down to the ankles and gross looking neck beards.

Like that? Gross.

Cobalt blue is actually my go-to color.

I used to wear a lot of red but I began to feel a little vampire-y. Especially with an eyepatch, I would feel as if I should be stealing diamonds from a museum or something.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I see what you're saying. I would never wear a total green suit. That would just be weird. I do have a few green shirts that look good with a black sport coat. I can't really find any good pics of the stuff I have since fashion now seems to be skewed towards hipster tight pants that don't come down to the ankles and gross looking neck beards.

Like that? Gross.

Cobalt blue is actually my go-to color.

I used to wear a lot of red but I began to feel a little vampire-y. Especially with an eyepatch, I would feel as if I should be stealing diamonds from a museum or something.

top picture? don't do it! just don't! i like the bottom one better. and i'd go with a simple pattern on your tie, and think about lavender. it's not girly and if you can rock it, it looks sharp. i do like the blue, btw, maybe something lighter, and like i said, patterns. patterns have style.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
ok, lol i'm gonna go against the crowd and say that i like the green suit! that has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it reminds me of something that one of my favorite hip hop artists would wear - and i like the shade. admittedly, it's not something everyone could pull off and i wouldn't pick it out for the fella.

for the everyday man, green is probably best used as an accent color when it comes to suits. emerald, sage, chartreuse, and olive are all shades of green that i like to see in professional/dress clothes. they are unexpected colors and not too wild. go for it - i'd definitely pay attention.

also, to co-sign with sprite, lavender is a great color on men. i'd keep it in consideration too.

Say. Her. Name.

The Linebacker
0 likes
I do have to wear suits for work. In my profession, if someone showed up in a hipster, tight, Pee Wee Herman suit, they'd be thought of as a joke. What is the deal with the high water pants? As we'd ask in school if someone's pants were too short, "Are you expecting a flood?"

I wouldn't do a green suit but I do have a solid green tie. It doesn't get worn a lot, St. Patrick's Day for sure it does, and every now and then. I do like solid black suits but for everyday prefer shades of gray.

Women seem to love us guys in a well-tailored suit, crisp shirt, and a nice tie. While we like them in tight attire that shows a lot of skin, cleavage, and legs, women see us differently. They often think we're very sexy in a nice suit.

I don't think a guy can wear those tight hipster suits unless he is skinny and has a wee little pecker and balls. Those tight things have to be very uncomfortable.

But green? I like that shade of green on the tie in your picture. It probably does work best subdued, no more than a tie. A green polo style shirt would be fine for casual I think.

Around where I live, if I wore a green blazer my friends would laugh and ask if I thought I'd won The Masters.

If I wear something I shouldn't, my wife corrects me right away.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
If we're talking about suits exclusively, the thing about green is that it really isn't as neutral/subdued as red or blue have subconsciously become (which somehow defeats the whole 'formal' intent of suits). Think about it for a second: the great majority of people in suits that the great majority of us get to see are politicians (or journalists, which often are pretty damn politically-related themselves). Now take a look at the political imagery of most English-speaking countries (eg. US, UK, Canada, Australia): that's right, it's all about the good old red-white-and-blue.

For decades, our dearest politicians have been relying on red/blue ties to meticulously promote their public image: red to inspire power/determination, blue to inspire freedom/tolerance. And for sure, these prevailing 'suit conventions' have spread to pretty much any profession which necessitates a suit in the western world. Green itself hardly promotes anything at all, other than your own originality and very personal fashion sense (which is often a big no-no in strict/professional spheres like politics or business). So yeah, unless you're an Irish politician or wish to make a fashion statement in a nightclub, green is definitely a rather risky color to implement into your formal suits.

If we're discussing fashion in the most general terms, I really don't see anything wrong with green at all. Pretty much any color can look shitty if it's a weird hue or if it's poorly matched. Admittedly, the spectrum of shitty-looking greens might be more broad than for some other colors (and shitty-looking greens tend to be fairly stomach-irritating as opposed to strictly eye-irritating), but as long as it's not a plain/unoriginal or radioactive green, it's a color that can be pleasant to look at just like any other.

I'm personally quite fond of dark/khaki greens for casual clothes; probably my favorite color to buy for upper garments other than staple black/white/gray. As opposed to blue shirts which can be quite finicky to match with blue jeans, green fits perfectly with just about any shade of pants. Not all blues are created equal and go with one another. Seriously, I have a few blue shirts that I absolutely love but that only match properly with one or two of my numerous blue jeans.

I have plenty of t-shirts, shirts, henleys, hoodies, sweaters in dark/khaki green. Stuff vaguely similar to this:

I don't have any in my wardrobe at the moment, but green coats can look pretty neat too:

And since I work in an engineering office which mostly favors a business-casual style (ie. definitely not as strict/formal as what I expressed in my first few paragraphs above), I also have a few green dress shirts that I like to wear with a sport coat (with or without a tie, though I often go without not to make my unstylish colleagues overly jealous). I have a few that are unicolor, but also a few plaid ones similar to what's shown below. The one on the right would look great with a gray suit I believe, or with gray pants and a black sport coat to keep things even more casual:

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I have plenty of t-shirts, shirts, henleys, hoodies, sweaters in dark/khaki green.

I'm with you on the 'military' green as I've got a lot of that too. And alluding to the red power tie. Has anyone overdone that more than Donald Trump? Damn, he should give that a rest. Wasn't that the thing in the 80s?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Concerning feminine fashion, I dare anyone here to express that Rachel McAdams isn't alluring as fuck with her green dress and her mesmerizing green eyes. 'Dare' is absolutely the appropriate word here, because if you risk saying anything bad about the magnificent Rachel McAdams, I'm totally going to come down on you like a ton of bricks:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Surprisingly, I stumbled across this picture of Bradley Cooper in a green suit while searching for pictures, which I think looks pretty damn stylish. Not something I'd really recommend in a formal political/business setting, but it definitely has its charm (at least to me). I guess part of the appeal is that you know for certain that a guy has an extensive stylish wardrobe when you see him in an unconventional suit. A guy in a black suit can look great for sure, but others might question if he's just recycling the one-and-only suit that he bought for grandma's funerals a few years back; a guy in a green suit most obviously already has all the essential colors of suits (ie. charcoal, gray, navy), plus quite a few others as well.

Proof that fashion can often be a high-risk/high-reward venture. In my view, the risk that Bradley Cooper took most definitely paid off in that one picture:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
And since I work in an engineering office which mostly favors a business-casual style (ie. definitely not as strict/formal as what I expressed in my first few paragraphs above), I also have a few green dress shirts that I like to wear with a sport coat (with or without a tie, though I often go without not to make my unstylish colleagues overly jealous). I have a few that are unicolor, but also a few plaid ones similar to what's shown below. The one on the right would look great with a gray suit I believe, or with gray pants and a black sport coat to keep things even more casual:

I couldn't help but have a bit of Photoshop fun around this idea. It definitely looks good, especially with brown dress shoes; that's another appealing particularity of green, it always looks great with brown leather. Exactly the style that I usually aim for at work:

And I totally forgot to mention this in my previous posts, but I actually even have a pair of green leather boots (presented here under the watchful eye of the highly photogenic Mr. Bobby). I absolutely love wearing them with a green shirt and my brown leather jacket, although I obviously don't get to wear them as often as my black/brown boots:

0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Green suit is sharp--statement--shiny leather shoes go well w/ it but would look best w/ blk dress shirt.

I love it.

I like yellow but don't wear it often as some are too bright and others well...
I have a nice tea length box pleated skirt that I love to pieces and rarely wear.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a very sexy green basque. I love it. I must get more green stuff.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I love this. I think green is a gorgeous colour but all depends on the shade, skin tone, hair colour, etc to see what suits best. Too much green doesn't look good, imo. Don't want to be walking around rocking the hulk look...
Troublemaker
0 likes

I think green looks amazing on some women.

Personally I do own a nice green suit that looks pretty good if paired with the right shirt and tie. Short guys should never wear green; they look like leprechauns.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have one or two green shirts and look well worn with a brown blazer/sports jacket. Green is a big colour band ranging from sick green to racing green, with the darker greens looking nicer including the lingerie as shown in the above post.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I would never wear a total green suit. That would just be weird.

With your colouring I think you'd look hot in a green suit.

Or naked...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Green is my favourite colour! I have so much green in varying shades and differing items of clothing.

If you love it, rock it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Green is a terrible color for lingerie
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Quote by SarahFun
Green is a terrible color for lingerie

Definitely agree here. Green lingerie? Green shirts/ties on men are OK, but I think green suits are kind of turn-off for me, unless for something like Saint Patrick's day or whatever.
Meagan
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Green is not my color even though I wore green surgical scrubs at work for many years. On St. Patrick's Day in my hometown, Chicago, I always wore a shamrock on my coat. Now that I live in the desert southwest where everything is brown, I would welcome a little green in my life. lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have hazel green eyes and love shirts and sweaters in green, especially a dark pine green.

For lingerie I usually stick to black.
An old favorite story of mine: The Chaise Lounge