Login

The Yellowstone Super Volcano

last reply
13 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Recently, a researcher determined the Yellowstone supervolcano could blow within the next few decades, or, possibly in the next few hundred years.

I've heard it said it will end life on earth, but others say it won't, it’d just make living a lot harder. I've read both theories and, being an optimist, I want to believe we'd live through it.

It's scary to think about it. Does anyone have knowledge about this? Between Trump, Kim-Jung Un, and Yellowstone, I'm about to build a bunker.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

The Linebacker
0 likes
The Yellowstone super volcano would at least take out much of the USA, Canada, and even severely damage Mexico. North America would mostly be a waste land.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yellowstone, though one of the largest, isn't the only super volcano on the planet.

When people think of volcanoes in Europe, the first one that comes to everyone's mind is probably the one that destroyed Pompeii, mount Vesuvius. The risk of that is probably negligable compared to that of it's close neighbour, Campi Flegrei. It's not nearly as large as the Yellowstone hotspot, but large enough to cause global cooling if it blows. A large part of Naples lies inside its caldera, in which around half a million people live. It is a very active spot and volcanologists say it shows signs of "reawakening" and may be nearing a critical pressure point. If it does, its effects will be felt all over Europe and Africa and probably all over the planet.

Another one is Danau Toba, a large lake in Sumatra, Indonesia that is actually the caldera of super volcano. The island Pulau Samosir was formed because the bottom of the 62 by 19 miles lake has risen almost 1,480 ft since its formation. It has an even bigger magma chamber than Yellowstone has and its eruption would probaly cause a global catastrophy. Luckily there are no signs it is about to become more active and dangerous.
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/the-toba-supervolcano-has-a-bigger-underground-magma-chamber-than-yellowstone/
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Rumors of a fiery, volcanic apocalypse were greatly exaggerated. An article in The New York Times about a piece of geology research spun out into inaccurate stories suggesting that a supervolcano under Yellowstone was set to erupt, spewing a sea of lava and smothering the skies with ash.

In a perfect storm of miscommunication, several news outlets misrepresented original reporting on a piece of research from Arizona State University. Feeding a hunger for apocalypse stories, the misinformation spread and was amplified by Twitter, which highlighted one of the inaccurate stories on its news page.

An article in USA Today originally ran with the headline, “Yellowstone supervolcano may blow sooner than thought — and could wipe out life on the planet,” though it has since been switched, with several corrections, to “Scientists seek clues to what triggered past Yellowstone ‘supervolcano’ eruptions.”

http://www.newsweek.com/yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption-fears-feed-our-apocalypse-obsession-and-686732

Also debunked on Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/new-research-yellowstone-eruption-occur-sooner/
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
Recently, a researcher determined the Yellowstone supervolcano could blow within the next few decades, or, possibly in the next few hundred years.

I've heard it said it will end life on earth, but others say it won't, it’d just make living a lot harder. I've read both theories and, being an optimist, I want to believe we'd live through it.

It's scary to think about it. Does anyone have knowledge about this? Between Trump, Kim-Jung Un, and Yellowstone, I'm about to build a bunker.

I'm sorry, but I find it difficult to believe that you would live through it. We will all be dead long before that.
0 likes
Quote by doctorlove

I'm sorry, but I find it difficult to believe that you would live through it. We will all be dead long before that.

were fucked

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz

http://www.newsweek.com/yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption-fears-feed-our-apocalypse-obsession-and-686732

Also debunked on Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/new-research-yellowstone-eruption-occur-sooner/

If a big caldera forming event were to happen at Yellowstone it probably would have desastrous consequences on a global scale, however events like that have happened before and none of them managed to wipe all life from the face of the earth and mankind thus far survived all of them. There is no reason to assume the outcome would be different the next time a super volcano explodes.

All known supervolcanoes are closely monitored, and although no one knows exactly what would happen in the run up to a big eruption (the last one happened thousands of years ago), there are no signs that would suggest a super eruption at Yellowstone is about to happen anytime soon.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
0 likes
Quote by patokl
Yellowstone, though one of the largest, isn't the only super volcano on the planet.

When people think of volcanoes in Europe, the first one that comes to everyone's mind is probably the one that destroyed Pompeii, mount Vesuvius. The risk of that is probably negligable compared to that of it's close neighbour, Campi Flegrei. It's not nearly as large as the Yellowstone hotspot, but large enough to cause global cooling if it blows. A large part of Naples lies inside its caldera, in which around half a million people live. It is a very active spot and volcanologists say it shows signs of "reawakening" and may be nearing a critical pressure point. If it does, its effects will be felt all over Europe and Africa and probably all over the planet.

Discover just did a good piece on Campi Flegrei. I'm usually up on my volcanoes and wasn't aware of this one. I've actually stood there (visited Naples a few years ago, mainly to go to the Roman sites around Vesuvius). Of course, I've also been in Yellowstone but knew already about that volcano. I've stood next to a gassing live volcano in Nicaragua but it's small and won't do much damage outside it's immediate vicinity.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you are in Kansas City when it goes, so will you.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Everyone should see Yellowstone. But don't get too close to the Bison and do not touch those pools of multicolored bubbly water (all kinds of acid and stuff). Yellowstone is fabulous in late spring and early summer. It's bitterly cold in the winter but the snowmobiling is cool.

I don't think the place is going to explode soon.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I just read this too - that it would only destroy several hundred miles in any direction. The main problems would be ash cleaning and removal, and a year of potential crop failures. I have heard the doomsday scenarios all my life, so it was kind of refreshing (we don't live too far away!).

Bus is right. It is a FANTASTIC vacation. The lodges are really nice, and pretty cheap. Truly surreal landscape. And the biggest ravens I've ever seen.
0 likes
I live about 100 miles from Yellowstone. When we first moved here I read so many articles on a possible eruption, I don't pay attention anymore. Most people around our area do not worry about it. It's the visitors that always ask and seem a little hesitant about exploring Yellowstone.

It's the visitors trying to take selfies with the bison or a moose, that leave us shaking our heads in dismay.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Currently, my dad owns a cabin about an half an hour south (maybe south east) of Yellowstone and has said that if the volcano were to ever to blow, he'd just sit on his front porch and wait to meet Jesus.

As for me, I'm going to choose to live my life and not worry too much about the stuff I have little to no control over. That doesn't mean I'm in denial... just that I'm not going to let fear rule my life.