Login

Gord Downie, 1964-2017

last reply
8 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
In spring of 2016, Canadian music fans awoke to the news that Gord Downie, singer and lyricist extraordinaire for the band The Tragically Hip had incurable, inoperable brain cancer.

Gord passed away last night at the way too young age of 53. At least he had a productive final year, with the band getting in one final tour and Gord producing a final solo album with accompanying graphic novel in support of residential school survivors (indigenous children forcibly removed from their families and communities to be educated in schools where abuse was rampant).

Sergeant Turnip
0 likes
I'm completely devastated by this news. Canada has just lost a piece of its heart and soul.

He will be missed.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
53 years old, so young, Canadian Soul Music at it's finest....,
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Gord was such a talented, courageous and inspiring Canadian icon. He will be greatly missed.

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Sad news for our nation. Gord Downie showed the world what Canadians are .... quirky, kind, outraged at injustices, loving, and inclusive.

My favourite lyrics .....

Bobcaygeon
The Tragically Hip

I left your house this morning,
'Bout a quarter after nine.
Coulda been the Willie Nelson,
Coulda been the wine
When I left your house this morning,
It was a little after nine
It was in Bobcaygeon, I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves, one star at time

Drove back to town this morning,
With working on my mind
I thought of maybe quittin',
Thought of leavin' it behind
Went back to bed this morning
And as I'm pullin' down the blind,
Yeah, the sky was dull and hypothetical
And fallin' one cloud at a time
That night in Toronto,
With its checkerboard floors
Riding on horseback,
And keeping order restored,
Til The Men They Couldn't Hang,
Stepped to the mic and sang,
And their voices rang with that Aryan twang
I got to your house this morning,
Just a little after nine
In the middle of that riot,
Couldn't get you off my mind
So, I'm at your house this morning,
Just a little after nine
'Cause, it was in Bobcaygeon
Where I saw the constellations reveal themselves
One star at time

Your start will burn brightest showing us the way......

God bless you, Gord! We are better because of you!

Van
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I am unable to post the video of our PM Justin Trudeaus tearful tribute to Gord Downie.

Justin Trudeau's tearful tribute to Gord Downie

It is something to watch. How he feels is how many Canadians feel today .....

The article explains more.

Van
Lurker
0 likes
As a long time Hip fan I am devastated, along with our Nation, to hear of Gords passing.

It is hard for people who don’t live here to truly understand what Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip mean to our entire Country. Gord embodies what it means to be Canadian, and his love for our Country, his strong views, his want to help those wronged are echoed in his music.

His courage through his illness is so admirable. To Tour our Country one las time ~ from coast to coast ~the Farewll tour ~ how he brought our entire Country together is truly remarcable. All while battling incurable Brain Cancer.

We will mourn as a Nation ~ but let’s also celebrate Gord and all he has brought us.
Rest In Peace Gord Downie ~ you will live on through your music and our love for you.

Here is what I think is The Hips best song (or close to it), and my favourite. (For some reason it won’t allow me to embed the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=8H9L0jR6WCg
0 likes
Just posted that same video on the Downie thread on my other board. It's one of several Hip songs that are just so quintessentially Canadian. The fact that it is about a Canadian tragedy (the murder of Gale Miller and the wrongful conviction of David Milgaard for that crime) just makes it doubly so.

"Bobcaygeon", which VanGogh posted the lyrics for upthread, is another. I doubt many Canadians outside Ontario know where that is, let alone non-Canadians.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Just posted that same video on the Downie thread on my other board. It's one of several Hip songs that are just so quintessentially Canadian. The fact that it is about a Canadian tragedy (the murder of Gale Miller and the wrongful conviction of David Milgaard for that crime) just makes it doubly so.

"Bobcaygeon", which VanGogh posted the lyrics for upthread, is another. I doubt many Canadians outside Ontario know where that is, let alone non-Canadians.

@seeker4 ~ thank you for starting this thread. I tried to email you to thank you but email was denied ☹️

What other thread are you referring too?