The 60s thread.

last reply
61 replies
3.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Just because, i thought it would be groovy. post pictures, music videos, share memories, whatever, long as it's got a 60s summer of love woodstock hippie surfer garage whatever feel to it. smile

edited for Noll

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Just because, i thought it would be groovy. post pictures, music videos, share memories, whatever, long as it's got a 60s summer of love woodstock hippie feel to it. smile

Reading that I got immediately excited to post some awesome surf/garage rock videos, only to arrive at the hippie ending. #anticlimax

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by noll

Reading that I got immediately excited to post some awesome surf/garage rock videos, only to arrive at the hippie ending. #anticlimax

fuck the rules. if it was done in the 60s, post it!

0 likes
This one turned 50 this year:

0 likes
Quote by sprite

fuck the rules. if it was done in the 60s, post it!

OK then ;)

0 likes

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

now, now we're people, too
we're like the birds and the bees
we'd rather die on our feet
than keep living on our knees.

i can dig it?

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes
OK, this one is from the early 70s, but still pretty hippie in my mind.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by noll
OK, this one is from the early 70s, but still pretty hippie in my mind.

0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

Such a well known strong image. All three of them had their careers ruined over it. And today the POTUS would like to see similar treatment of athletes. The world stood still.

Btw, your video is not available. For me at least.

0 likes
Quote by sprite

"fuck the rules."

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
Quote by noll

Such a well known strong image. All three of them had their careers ruined over it. And today the POTUS would like to see similar treatment of athletes. The world stood still.

Btw, your video is not available. For me at least.

isn't it? summer of '68. my dad ran track in high school and college and had the poster in his room. my brother later put one in his rooms too. love it.

sorry you missed out on james brown at his funkiest☹

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes
I guess this one's for Simmerdownchick ;)

Getting in the mood for The Selecter + The Beat this Sunday

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

isn't it? summer of '68. my dad ran track in high school and college and had the poster in his room. my brother later put one in his rooms too. love it.

sorry you missed out on james brown at his funkiest☹

for those who don't know, there's actually a really cool story that needs to be told about that iconic photo:

Australian silver medallist Peter Norman paid a price for supporting John Carlos and Tommie Smith when they raised their fists in protest on the podium in Mexico City.

African-American sprinters John Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their gloved fists in a black power salute at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City in 1968, while the U.S. national anthem played during the presentation of their medals. Their gesture was a show of defiance against oppression taking place at the height of the civil rights struggle in America.

But often lost in the discussion surrounding Smith and Carlos’s dramatic moment is the white athlete on the podium with them.

Australian sprinter Peter Norman came second in that 200-metre race. And like Smith and Carlos, Norman endured a backlash for what he did on the podium, treated as an outcast by many when he returned to his home country.

In Mexico City, Smith won the 200-metre race and the gold medal with a time of 19.83 seconds, Norman took silver in 20.06, and Carlos captured the bronze, clocking in at 20.10.

Aside from raising their gloved fists, Smith and Carlos sported buttons on their uniforms promoting their Olympic Project for Human Rights campaign, which was aimed at stamping out racism.

Norman agreed to wear one of the buttons during the ceremony as a sign of solidarity.

According to media accounts years later, Norman recalled the incident this way: “I couldn’t see what was happening, (but) I had known (Carlos and Smith) had gone through with their plans when a voice in the crowd sang the American anthem but then faded to nothing. The stadium went quiet.”

Carlos and Smith faced a storm of controversy for their actions. They were kicked out of the Olympic village and suspended from the American squad. They faced death threats.

These days, the former athletes are widely considered heroic for the stand they took. A statue of them stands at San Jose State University, where Carlos and Smith were students.

Norman returned to Australia to face his critics after Mexico City. In an interview years later, John Carlos said: “If we were getting beat up, Peter was facing an entire country and suffering alone.”

According to published reports, Norman was left off Australia’s team in the 1972 Olympics in Munich despite running times that would have qualified him. He was also left out of any role in the 2000 Sydney Games.

After he died in October 2006 of an apparent heart attack, at age 64, Carlos and Smith were pallbearers at the funeral.

Norman never backed down from what he did in Mexico City, and was unyielding in his support for the actions of Smith and Carlos.

In 2012, Australia formally apologized to Norman, with one MP telling Parliament that Norman’s gesture “was a moment of heroism and humility that advanced international awareness for racial inequality.”

On the day of the apology, Carlos was quoted as saying that Norman was “hurt” by the way he was treated in Australia, and never recovered from that.

0 likes
Quote by sprite
Norman agreed to wear one of the buttons during the ceremony as a sign of solidarity.

According to Wikipedia it was actually he himself who asked another athlete if he could borrow his button to wear for the ceremony.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
Quote by sprite
for those who don't know, there's actually a really cool story that needs to be told about that iconic photo...

thank you for going more in depth! i found it rather fitting given our current climate. thanks for extending the perimeters of this thread; my memories of the 60s don't necessarily fit the 'summer of love' nostalgia.

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes

0 likes
I love this video. I like to believe Steve Martin had a good look at Vince Taylor for his role as dentist Orin Scrivello in Little Shop of Horrors ;)

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose
blm

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
This one's for Julie.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Peter Max, artist

The Linebacker
0 likes
The Allman Brothers Band, 1969

The Linebacker
0 likes
Easy Rider, 1969

The Linebacker
0 likes
The Linebacker