How do you cook asparagus?

last reply
19 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I remember as a kid being dragged out in the springtime to hunt for asparagus down by the railroad tracks. Now I know that sounds like something out of "Oh Brother Where art thou" but it was actually true.

I never liked it.. I really didn't appreciate the cactus, the poison ivy and the rattlesnakes. Then my grandma would take these gross green woody stalks and boil them down to inedible mush. Because apparently people born between the years of 1920 and 1940 feel the need to overcook everything.

Now though, I appreciate asparagus. It's a nutrient dense vegetable that compliments a nice steak or salmon fillet. I tend to sautee it with sesame oil and a splash of soy sauce.

How do you cook it?
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I drizzle olive oil and sprinkle Parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.

It’s very tasty.

Xo
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I guess it depends on how you like your asparagus ....

Here on the West Coast, almost everyone I know likes it to have a little crunch to it.

There are two ways I cook it.

1 - in a sauce pan, put about 1 inch of hot water in it, and bring the water to a boil. Turn off. Squeeze some lemon juice into the water. Toss asparagus in the water for 3-4 mins. Take out asparagus and season with some butter or olive oil and salt.

2 - in a fry pan on med/med high, toss in some EVOO and a wee bit of butter .... when it is doing it's frothy bit, toss asparagus and a chopped up garlic into the fry pan and kinda saute it .... again .... it should only be about 3-4 mins to cook to crunch stage.

I always use a little lemon juice and salt with my asparagus. I never do a cheese sauce or other heavy sauces.

Of course, if you like your asparagus soft, cook for longer.

Van
❤️️🌹Elusive Enigma 🌹❤️️
0 likes
When I was young, I was sent out to search for asparagus along the side of the road where it grew plentifully near my house.

I always liked it, but then we never boiled it into mush.

We usually roasted asparagus which kills the natural bitterness of it.

Trim the ends then wash and pat dry to coat stalks with a little oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a 375F preheated oven until its just tender approximately 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness.

You can trim and clean asparagus then blanch in boiling water for a couple of minutes before you drain and toss with salt and a little fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.

When I entertain friends and family, I make asparagus wrapped in bacon. Wash and trim asparagus and pat dry. Then wrap thin-sliced bacon around each stalk and affix with a toothpick and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet on middle rack in the oven and bake or broil until asparagus is tender and bacon is as crisp as you prefer.

This is also good when cooked on a charcoal smoker as the asparagus and bacon is infused with a smoky flavor which pairs well with a grilled steak. I like to serve it with a fruit dish of grilled white peach and pineapple sections drizzled with a honey lemon syrup.

I like to make a chicken or beef asparagus stir-fry. In a skillet or wok heat a little sesame oil on high until it sizzles. Add asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper and stir well, making sure asparagus is coated with oil. Continue to stir-fry a couple of minutes until it looks bright green and still undone. Then move to the side and let rest while you cook whichever meat and other vegetables you want to use adding asparagus at the end.
 Kissing your lips while straddling your lap. 
Site administrator
0 likes
On the odd occasion I buy it... I simply pan fry in butter for a few minutes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I normally steam it to retain all the natural vitamins it has.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Nothing like fresh, local asparagus in season!

Like others here, I either steam it and serve with garlic butter (goes beautifully with Jersey Royal potatoes that are about at the same time,) or throw the stems in a griddle pan with a little olive oil. I had a recipe that served that with a lime mayonnaise, which was a delicious and light combination.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Never.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Steam it or if you are grilling steaks, grill the asparagus right alongside, with some mushrooms.
0 likes
Chop it into short lengths (maybe 1cm) and stir fry with some pork broth for seasoning.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My wife saute's them over low heat in olive oil along with some chopped fresh garlic. Not too hot, don't burn the olive oil! Serve with a splash of plum vinegar, to die for! We were fortunate for a long time to grow our own garlic and asparagus. The purple asparagus picked fresh about as big around as your thumb or larger along with that hard neck hot German garlic was the perfect side dish!
0 likes
Quote by wiseowl
My wife saute's them over low heat in olive oil along with some chopped fresh garlic. Not too hot, don't burn the olive oil! Serve with a splash of plum vinegar, to die for! We were fortunate for a long time to grow our own garlic and asparagus. The purple asparagus picked fresh about as big around as your thumb or larger along with that hard neck hot German garlic was the perfect side dish!

This sounds good. Never thought of adding chopped garlic to it. That would probably work with our stir fry version, too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Place in boiling water for two minutes then remove and drop into Ice cold water. Add some Hollandaise sauce and devour it with pleasure.
Baked is beautiful too - served with thinly sliced Grapefruit.
69kisses has a good recipe too.Steam it or if you are grilling steaks, grill the asparagus right alongside, with some mushrooms.""

NEVER feed it to your man for dinner if you are going to take him to bed and go down on him a few hours later. His cum tastes terrible.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy
Place in boiling water for two minutes then remove and drop into Ice cold water. Add some Hollandaise sauce and devour it with pleasure.
Baked is beautiful too - served with thinly sliced Grapefruit.
69kisses has a good recipe too.Steam it or if you are grilling steaks, grill the asparagus right alongside, with some mushrooms.""

NEVER feed it to your man for dinner if you are going to take him to bed and go down on him a few hours later. His cum tastes terrible.

Always steam it but eat it as is - no toppings. We love, even my kids, the taste of fresh, young asparagus.

Interesting fact: Not everyone can smell or taste the nastiness that some of us do after eating asparagus.
It's called Asparagus Pee and it's in the genes.

Nasty research project, but someone got paid to do it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wanted to add a P.S. Asparagus is ideal added to a salad raw. Delicious! The purple is best for this as it's tender from top to almost the bottom of the stalk!
0 likes
I love it roasted. Seasoned with salt and a little lemon zest.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
White asparagus, peel a little without touching at the crown, put in hot water, and pick them with a match, when the math pass trough the asparagus is ready. You did of couse prepared a vinaigrette sauce (oil vinaigre salt pepper and mustard de Dijon) put a piece of bread under the front of you plate, poor a little sauce, take one asparagus in your hand, dip it in the sauce, eat by piece and dip again, let on the side the end of the asparagus as the texture is getting to ruffle
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Is this also known as 'Ladies Fingers' or is that something else?
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'