Menu for a first home cooked meal

last reply
5 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
OK, so you're pulling out all the stops and having your partner over for the first time. What do you serve to totally blow them away? Think all the way through to dessert.

I think I would start off with Toasted octopus in escabecheand follow with Pork medallions in cider sauce and garlic mashed potatoes (or butter and herb egg noodles) and roasted beets on the side, finishing with Bread Pudding with Hot Butter Rum Sauce for dessert.

Nothing in the center of the table to obscure our eye contact and Autum maple beer to drink.

Amazingly, I restrained from any appearance of bacon in the whole meal!

Think of this like a game, who can create the most enticing meal.
0 likes
I'd feel her out ahead of time to see if she would go for Indian. My usual is a spicy oven-baked chicken, spiced red lentils, and a curried eggplant dish with basmati rice.

If that didn't fly, then I can do my stock pasta sauce and use it on noodles or as part of the filling for a lasagna (the sauce recipe was originally part of a friend's lasagna recipe). Serve it with a garden or caesar salad. Much better than it sounds, esp. the lasagna.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I'd feel her out ahead of time to see if she would go for Indian. My usual is a spicy oven-baked chicken, spiced red lentils, and a curried eggplant dish with basmati rice.

If that didn't fly, then I can do my stock pasta sauce and use it on noodles or as part of the filling for a lasagna (the sauce recipe was originally part of a friend's lasagna recipe). Serve it with a garden or caesar salad. Much better than it sounds, esp. the lasagna.

You're a braver man than I am, I love Indian but never attempted to cook it myself! Both menus sound delicious. Give us an idea of your spicy oven baked chicken? My experience with Indian it usually involves a yogurt based sauce with tomato, ginger, curry leaf and chili?
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I'm a woman who thinks ahead and likes to be realistic. I actually don't go all out on the first meal (certainly one of the first things to go as the relationship settles in). I believe in making every meal special in some way but prefer to keep things simple at home. I never cook for a man until we've had several restaurant meals together and I can gauge his likes.

I typically make a spinach salad topped with raisins, croutons, walnuts, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers with salami, provolone cheese and buffalo chicken breast (sarah lee makes the best) rolled into a wheel and diced throughout.

Main course is either baked salmon or chicken with basmati rice and broccoli.

I only bake cookies from scratch, so cheesecake or chocolate covered strawberries are typical.

Place setting is key. Wine, soft jazz in the background, and candles/ fireplace going.

That about does it.

That's a very easy and relatively quick meal for me to make (1 hour prep time). The most time consuming is washing the spinach and removing the stems. If he likes THAT meal, he's in for a treat.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ShamelessFlirt
OK, so you're pulling out all the stops and having your partner over for the first time. What do you serve to totally blow them away? Think all the way through to dessert.

Amazingly, I restrained from any appearance of bacon in the whole meal!

Oh HELL MAN...you are OVERTHINKING things....include the bacon and just do some soft scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar mixed in and try not to burn the bacon or sausage. Let her man the toaster and butter the toast.

It'll be a fine meal if she knows its prepared and served with love!!

If that doesn't make her swoon, then she'll take pity on you and DO THE COOKING FOR YOU !!
0 likes
Quote by ShamelessFlirt

You're a braver man than I am, I love Indian but never attempted to cook it myself! Both menus sound delicious. Give us an idea of your spicy oven baked chicken? My experience with Indian it usually involves a yogurt based sauce with tomato, ginger, curry leaf and chili?

There's a story there, actually. We were visiting a friend in Toronto and he suggested an Indian place near where he was living at the time for lunch (it was me and my wife, him and his fiancee). We were already into Indian so went along with the idea eagerly. Now that he and his fiancee knew we were into Indian, they gave us an Indian cookbook (by Indian actress and cooking show host Madhur Jaffrey) for Christmas.

The spicy baked chicken is a lemon-juice-based marinade. The key is a mix of cayenne pepper and paprika (it's actually supposed to use a type of pepper common in India but the author adjusted it to accommodate what is readily available in the West). You can adjust the heat by varying that ratio. In addition, there is turmeric, garlic, cumin, and salt. Mix it all together, marinade for a few hours, bake. Recently, we've been using an off-the-shelf Tandoori rub, though. My wife has a bit of a delicate stomach and can't really tolerate the hot stuff anymore.