Firefox Quantum - Highly Recommended!

last reply
35 replies
5.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

Just updated my Firefox app to the brand new release called Firefox Quantum and I can highly recommend it as a web browser. It has a considerable performance improvement over Google Chrome (at least for me), and it also seems a lot less resource hungry.

Top marks so far! ?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Matriarch
0 likes
A word of warning. I just tried to use FireFTP to transfer some files to a server. It no longer works with Firefox Quantum.

As a browser, it seems excellent.
0 likes
My staff at work were speaking highly of Quantum earlier in the week and I respect their opinion but I haven't tried it yet, myself. I kind of drifted away from FF to Chrome and while many of the issues that led me to do so have been resolved, I've been (mostly) happy with Chrome and haven't felt a need to swing back yet.
Chuckanator
0 likes
My son is a programmer and told me to switch. I’m computer challenged and believe the old adage, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I still use internet explorer. But I drive a Telsa not a model T.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
My son is a programmer and told me to switch. I’m computer challenged and believe the old adage, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I still use internet explorer. But I drive a Telsa not a model T.

The Tesla is an excellent choice for the planet Chuck! Not to mention the crazy performance.

Tony Seba is a man who knows an awful lot on the subject of electric vehicles and disruptive technologies. He thinks 90% of all new vehicles produced around the globe in 2030, will be electric. And why not? 90% fewer parts, the battery costs will be a fraction of what they are now. No pollution whatsoever. Quite brilliant.

Musk wasn't the first to come up with the idea, but he's a pioneer, and I love his drive to push things forward for the good of the planet and future generations. My next car will be an all electric, if the price comes down enough. I think it's maybe 2 years away before that's the case, with these giga factories coming out.

I got distracted there, sorry. It's a passion of mine, helping the planet, ecosystems, and investing in companies who have that vision in mind.

Back to browsers, no issues with FF other than the FTP file transfer one. I have a backup file uploader so I'm using that. Shame FireFtp doesn't work with the new Quantam FF though. It was my favourite uploader and easiest to use by far.
Lurker
0 likes
I switched to FF after what you commented on Lush. Thanks to you, Nicola, it's a speed demon. Thank you for mentioning it.
0 likes
Just taking the new FF for a test drive. It is fast though I haven't tried a side-by-side with Chrome yet.
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I still use internet explorer.

But Internet Explorer IS broke. Badly. So badly, even Microsoft has abandoned it (Windows 10 defaults to their new Edge browser). It is an insecure hodge-podge of patches and half-assed changes. Do yourself a favour and get that programmer son of yours to install FF or Chrome. You won't just be faster. You'll be safer.

PS. My son just started Comp Sci in university so I guess I'll be able to say my son is a programmer before too long, as well.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by nicola

The Tesla is an excellent choice for the planet Chuck! Not to mention the crazy performance.

Tony Seba is a man who knows an awful lot on the subject of electric vehicles and disruptive technologies. He thinks 90% of all new vehicles produced around the globe in 2030, will be electric. And why not? 90% fewer parts, the battery costs will be a fraction of what they are now. No pollution whatsoever. Quite brilliant.

Musk wasn't the first to come up with the idea, but he's a pioneer, and I love his drive to push things forward for the good of the planet and future generations. My next car will be an all electric, if the price comes down enough. I think it's maybe 2 years away before that's the case, with these giga factories coming out.

I got distracted there, sorry. It's a passion of mine, helping the planet, ecosystems, and investing in companies who have that vision in mind.

Back to browsers, no issues with FF other than the FTP file transfer one. I have a backup file uploader so I'm using that. Shame FireFtp doesn't work with the new Quantam FF though. It was my favourite uploader and easiest to use by far.

I’m contacting my son to install FF thanks to Lush feedback. I’ve had the Tesla for a few months. I fortunately can afford it but it took a year to get one. We also have a hybrid for longer trips. Most of our driving is local so it is perfect for us.

I didn’t mind to detract from the thread. Sorry. Thanks for the heads up on Fire Fox.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by nicola
A word of warning. I just tried to use FireFTP to transfer some files to a server. It no longer works with Firefox Quantum.

As a browser, it seems excellent.

One of the decisions Mozilla made to enhance the security of the browser was to restrict what directories extensions can access. That means that everything inside the browser is sandboxed to your download directory, which is obviously no good for an FTP client hence them pulling support for it. I suspect other browsers will follow suit in the future as it sounds like a sensible security precaution.

I use FileZilla which is superb as a standalone FTP client. Free and open source. smile

https://filezilla-project.org/
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Liz
I use FileZilla which is superb as a standalone FTP client. Free and open source. smile

https://filezilla-project.org/

That's the one I downloaded too. Bright minds think alike!

A word of warning about filezilla. Even though I unchecked "install McAfee, change default search engine to Bing etc.", it did change it.

I had to reset IE, FF and Chrome as a result.
0 likes
Quote by nicola

That's the one I downloaded too. Bright minds think alike!

A word of warning about filezilla. Even though I unchecked "install McAfee, change default search engine to Bing etc.", it did change it.

I had to reset IE, FF and Chrome as a result.

Hmm. Never had any issues but I last installed Filezilla back in the spring when I was upgrading the board where I'm an admin so maybe there's been a new release since then. I don't use FTP much any more but FZ is my client of choice when I do.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I'm surrounded by NERDS!

Yay!
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
My experiences with Firefox Quantum so far are a bit mixed. It seems to crash quite often on Google Maps for instance. And some sites seem a bit slow even, though that may be due to server issues of course. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. Other than that I'm quite content. Not a real fan of the the dark skin, but that's probably just something to get used to.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
I'm surrounded by NERDS!

Yeah, you're lucky!

Testing The Waters.
0 likes
NOT a fan.

It's slow to start, frequently hangs for several seconds at a time, locking up my entire system, crashes on intensive pages, and breaks the no-script extension with its sandboxing.

My primary use of Firefox was on pages jammed with ads. No-script killed those, and sidestepped most anti-adblocking measures when you selectively allowed only necessary domains for the content you want. Until that extension is updated to work in Quantum, I'm not even bothering with Firefox beyond a couple of sites where it's the browser my LesLumens handle is logged into.

We'll see if it's just those ad-infested sites that are choking it once No-script works. One thing's for certain, I see no noticeable improvement over the previous version, and no advantage over Chrome on those sites I use it for that aren't littered with ads.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by noll
My experiences with Firefox Quantum so far are a bit mixed. It seems to crash quite often on Google Maps for instance. And some sites seem a bit slow even, though that may be due to server issues of course. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. Other than that I'm quite content. Not a real fan of the the dark skin, but that's probably just something to get used to.

There are three themes built into the browser. You can select a lighter one if you prefer.

Menu (three bars icon) > Customize > Themes (button at the bottom).
0 likes
I started using FF on one of our home machines (Chrome was acting up and I haven't bothered to reload it yet) and was impressed with my first look at Quantum but it's early yet. Definitely loads all my regular sites, including this one, pretty quickly though I haven't done a side-by-side to confirm that it is actually faster than Chrome.
0 likes
Quote by Liz

There are three themes built into the browser. You can select a lighter one if you prefer.

Menu (three bars icon) > Customize > Themes (button at the bottom).

LOL, I had been to that page already, but seemed to have completely missed the buttons at the bottom. Thanks!

Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Well, now with No-script updated for Quantum, I can say I'm still not a fan.

While no-script solved the biggest part of the issues on ad-heavy pages, it still froze up in both of the long sessions on such pages since adding no-script. At least it didn't completely freeze up my system this time. Firefox was dead in the water for at least a minute and a half both times, though.

Ended up closing it and going with Opera for the remainder of both sessions once it defrosted, because Chrome rolls over and dies within 5 minutes on pages choked with ads.

Still opens slow as hell and takes forever for the processes to end once you close it. Zero speed improvement over previous versions on typical pages. Zero speed improvements over Chrome on typical pages.

The latest update to Firefox for Android, on the other hand, has marked improvement in speed and reliability. Things that used to crash Firefox every time on my hardly-top-of-the-line older Samsung tablet work just fine now.

I'm sure they'll break it with the next release in a few days. That seems to be what Firefox and Chrome have both been consistently good about since going to this constant update scheme. Every other update is a memory-leaking dumpster fire.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
Well, now with No-script updated for Quantum, I can say I'm still not a fan.

While no-script solved the biggest part of the issues on ad-heavy pages, it still froze up in both of the long sessions on such pages since adding no-script. At least it didn't completely freeze up my system this time. Firefox was dead in the water for at least a minute and a half both times, though.

Ended up closing it and going with Opera for the remainder of both sessions once it defrosted, because Chrome rolls over and dies within 5 minutes on pages choked with ads.

Still opens slow as hell and takes forever for the processes to end once you close it. Zero speed improvement over previous versions on typical pages. Zero speed improvements over Chrome on typical pages.

The latest update to Firefox for Android, on the other hand, has marked improvement in speed and reliability. Things that used to crash Firefox every time on my hardly-top-of-the-line older Samsung tablet work just fine now.

I'm sure they'll break it with the next release in a few days. That seems to be what Firefox and Chrome have both been consistently good about since going to this constant update scheme. Every other update is a memory-leaking dumpster fire.

Jesus. What websites are you even visiting?

I've not had any of these issues with Quantum at all. Have you thought about trying uBlock Origin?
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Have you thought about trying uBlock Origin?

What I was going to suggest as well. I use it in both Chrome and FF and never have issues.
Lurker
0 likes
I tried Firefox Quantum and didn't like it. It's slower than Google Chrome and importing my bookmarks was not easy to set up. So I deleted it. I've been a webmaster since the early 90s, so I've tried all of the browsers: Mosaic, IE, Netscape, Safari, Firefox, and now Google Chrome and it is by far the best browser I've ever used. And I've used them on Mac OS and Windows. I've designed hundreds of web pages and dozens of websites and I always use several browsers to verify my work.
0 likes
Quote by JonoX
I tried Firefox Quantum and didn't like it. It's slower than Google Chrome and importing my bookmarks was not easy to set up. So I deleted it. I've been a webmaster since the early 90s, so I've tried all of the browsers: Mosaic, IE, Netscape, Safari, Firefox, and now Google Chrome and it is by far the best browser I've ever used. And I've used them on Mac OS and Windows. I've designed hundreds of web pages and dozens of websites and I always use several browsers to verify my work.

And I've worked in IT for as long and done some web mastering as part of that. So what. I remember using text-based browsers. So what? Argument from authority is a logical fallacy.

I've been a Chrome guy for a few years now and Quantum has pretty put FF on a equal footing in my experience. On my home machines, at least, it is as fast as Chrome, faster on some sites. Both are good browsers but neither is flawless (a Chrome bug forced me to FF on one of our home machines, for instance). I haven't tried importing bookmarks since FF and Chrome on the machine where I would do it both have basically the same set of bookmarks so it's kind of pointless. If you like Chrome better, use it. Some of us are clearly having a different experience. In the end, if a user uses either of them instead of the insecure crapshoot that is Internet Explorer, I'm a happy ape.

BTW, if you're so experienced, you would likely realize that typing in large bold text doesn't make you look more authoritative to most of us. It makes you look cranky and arrogant.
0 likes
I used to have Ghostery installed in Firefox, which blocked many ad networks and other known trackers. This made quite a difference n speed. With Firefox Quantum it seems that Ghostery was deactivated as it did "not meet current Firefox standards". Others may have had a similar setup that is turned off in Quantum and which may explain why some don't see the performance improvement that others do see with this new version.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
I drive a jeep, my navigator is a stupid dog in-spite of her supposedly smart breed, I use google chrome, and I think you're all nerds. GET OUT OF MY WAY
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by JonoX

look, to be fair... you claiming youre a WEBMASTER and having trouble setting up your bookmarks in a new browser is like a GODDAMN iron chef claiming they can't make a grilled cheese in a new kitchen.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

look, to be fair... you claiming youre a WEBMASTER and having trouble setting up your bookmarks in a new browser is like a GODDAMN iron chef claiming they can't make a grilled cheese in a new kitchen.

there's a difference btwn making a grilled cheese sammich and making an awesome grilled cheese sammich. it's all about the cheese.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

And I've worked in IT for as long and done some web mastering as part of that. So what. I remember using text-based browsers. So what? Argument from authority is a logical fallacy.

I've been a Chrome guy for a few years now and Quantum has pretty put FF on a equal footing in my experience. On my home machines, at least, it is as fast as Chrome, faster on some sites. Both are good browsers but neither is flawless (a Chrome bug forced me to FF on one of our home machines, for instance). I haven't tried importing bookmarks since FF and Chrome on the machine where I would do it both have basically the same set of bookmarks so it's kind of pointless. If you like Chrome better, use it. Some of us are clearly having a different experience. In the end, if a user uses either of them instead of the insecure crapshoot that is Internet Explorer, I'm a happy ape.

BTW, if you're so experienced, you would likely realize that typing in large bold text doesn't make you look more authoritative to most of us. It makes you look cranky and arrogant.

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.