'Best Before' dates

last reply
14 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
Does anyone take any notice of these? I regularly eat stuff that's days or sometimes weeks past it 'Best Before' date. The only exception is fresh meat, I'm a bit more picky there. I bought some deli coleslaw last Tuesday. It was meant to be used by Friday. We had it last night with some smoked salmon and it was perfectly okay.

It was instilled into me as a little girl never to throw away food, because so many people are dying for want of a meal.

D x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I’m the same. I think food waste is scandalous. ‘Best before’ is merely a suggestion as to when food will start deteriorating but still be edible. I think some people lack common sense when it comes to food.

I grew up in a big family and stretching meals/storing/preserving is ingrained into me. Hubby however has a very different opinion and believes in use by and best before religiously. I find myself accidentally tearing labels or batch cooking and freezing rather than the horror of him throwing things away without checking them first. I wouldn’t mind so much but he usually does the bloody shopping and ignores my list merrily. If anyone is ever hungry feel free lol x
0 likes
We try to make sure we buy stuff that's well before the BB date, but we do occasionally use stuff that past its date. After all, it's a "sell by" date. The store can legally sell it until then so presumably it must stay good for some time afterwards. Drugs are the exception. Those you should not use past expiry, or so I hear.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Drugs are the exception. Those you should not use past expiry, or so I hear.

completely agree. Take unused meds to the pharmacy to be destroyed.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Yeah, there is "use by" and "sell by," which you can waltz right past, and "expiration date," which you probably should't. I go past the first two all the time (to the great consternation of my eldest, who is a little OCD about these things), but I have had food poisoning twice, and BADLY, both from bad mayonnaise. It was hellish, so I pay much more attention to expiration dates.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
It really depends on the item. Eggs you can usually use up to a month past their date. If the yolks don't fall apart when you break them open, they're usually okay. But I've tried using fry mix a few months past it's expiration date, and the results were terrible. Virtually tasteless onion rings for example. We tend to leave canned goods in the back of the cupboard, forgetting they're there, and have found some 2 years past their best-used-by dates. We throw them out and buy new. (Yes, I feel guilty about it!)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If the bb date has expired I will assess the product. More often than not I will use it and have had no repercussions. If there is a doubt I discard it.
Normally our canned goods don't carry a BB date. If I were to find a jar or a slightly rusty tin out of date I would check to see if it has 'popped' or not. If not I use it.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy
If the bb date has expired I will assess the product. More often than not I will use it and have had no repercussions. If there is a doubt I discard it.
Normally our canned goods don't carry a BB date. If I were to find a jar or a slightly rusty tin out of date I would check to see if it has 'popped' or not. If not I use it.

This sounds sensible, Meggsy. I often go by the one sniff test. If it smells okay normally it is okay.

I love smokey bacon and you always know when it's not right cos the smokiness goes when it's gone past its best.

D x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

The Linebacker
0 likes
..and I thought this was going to be food suggestions to eat before going out on a date. Damn, I was going to suggest pinto beans. haha
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Buz
..and I thought this was going to be food suggestions to eat before going out on a date. Damn, I was going to suggest pinto beans. haha

I doubt you'd be passing any sniff tests.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
colin123
0 likes
Best before, not worse after is my motto.Of course you have to be careful with some types of products, most is just down to common sense.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use a tried and tried method...I look...I smell... Get a second opinion from the wifey and taste of needed or possible. Not a whole bunch just barely enough. If it is a few days pass the date. I'm a proper so I learned early that three dates on the labels are used to keep us buying food in rotation as quickly as possible to get us spending money. Here is an article that can help I hope. [img][/img] http://www.eatingwell.com/article/80518/do-food-expiration-dates-really-mean-anything/
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

The Best By date means best sold by that date, not best eaten or drunk by that date

🎵Picture perfect, I paint a perfect picture...🎵
0 likes

Always aim to buy stuff way before the date. If something passes, I smell constantly before using it. A few days has proven okay so far for me, but I try to avoid it if I can.

My last published story: Ain't Nothing But A Divorce Party