Cookware

last reply
8 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I need a new set of cookware. Any suggestions on what's the best out there would be greatly appreciated
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I use stainless steel for saucepans and dutch ovens, and ceramic non-stick pans for frying and sauteing. Don't go cheap! Get them with a thick copper base for good heat distribution and riveted handles for safety. Stay away from aluminum.
Sophisticate
0 likes
I have both stainless steel and enamelled cast iron. The stainless steel is great for everyday use and you should try to get a steamer insert for one of the pots, if not one that fits several of them. The enameled cast iron (like Le Creuset or Staub) is expensive but is a lifetime investment. A large covered pot is good for all kinds of braises, soups, and cooknig in large quantities. What they call a braiser is good for roasts and things like paella and risotto and a grill pan is great for doing just that when it is too cold to go out and barbeque or if you live in an apartment building and cannot do so. The enameled cast iron does not need to be seasoned, holds heat and is easy to clean. It is worth saving for them and buying piece by piece.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Townecraft! Best investment with a lifetime warranty and you can stack cook with it!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quality cookware will always enhance one's culinary abilities.

Sometimes one has to adapt to the situation.
On one occasion I didn't have a wok available and found a Dutch oven can substitute nicely.
Plenty of capacity and the high sides contain a vigorous action.

Bon Appetite.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I use stainless steel for saucepans and dutch ovens, and ceramic non-stick pans for frying and sauteing. Don't go cheap! Get them with a thick copper base for good heat distribution and riveted handles for safety. Stay away from aluminum.

Ditto.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Jeffrey Dahmer was a fan of the non-stick pots, pans and roasting dishes. I'd go with non-stick.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
allclad copper core
le creuset
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Uncoated cast iron, one of each; Dutch Oven with a lid, 10 to 12 inch deep skillet, 6 to 9 inch skillet, and possibly a grill that fits over two burners. Do not use uncoated cast iron for tomato dishes.

Good quality non stick skillets one each; 10 to 12 inch and 6 to 9 inch. If you cook tomatoes or tomato sauces get a good non stick Dutch Oven.

If most of you cooking is for 6 or less you can buy the smaller sizes. If it is often more than 6 get the lRger sizes.

We have and use a lot of cast iron from a 6 inch skillet to a # 20 (14 Gallons) pot, it will hold enough to cook 130, 12 oz bowls of Jambalaya.