Just noticed ANOTHER new story category... Mind Control

last reply
118 replies
5.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I don't see any announcement about this anywhere, and then suddenly there it is. Why even bother having an Omnium badge if the site is going to keep randomly adding categories and then taking it away from those that have earned it?

edited to add an additional thought
This category also sounds like it brushes very close to drugging and , both of which are subjects not permitted by the T&C.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Drugging and will not be tolerated! Anyone posting that will be shown the door. Sayanora! Adios!

Everyone should read what it says under the heading of that category. Here it is...

Mind Control:

Mind control sex stories, are those where mind control and even telepathy, is somehow used as part of a sexual act. One of the most commonly used mind control techniques is hypnotizing someone, and then using suggestions to make them perform sexual acts or bring themselves to orgasm while under hypnosis. Characters are often hypnotised into behaving less restrained than they might be in real life. A person may have a secret longing to be used as a sexual plaything, but are unlikely to realise that fantasy unless it was brought out under hypnosis. Another common theme in mind control stories, is turning the hypnotised person into a "people puppet", where the "villain" may use his psychic powers, to manipulate the limbs of his "victim", as if they were a puppet. For example, a person may not wish to be servile to another, but might be forced to kneel down in front of them (and perform various "services"), in a case of mind over matter.

It's about using mind control techniques used by someone to bring out hidden, secret, and suppressed desires in someone else...
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Drugging and will not be tolerated! Anyone posting that will be shown the door. Sayanora! Adios!

Everyone should read what it says under the heading of that category. Here it is...

Mind Control:

Mind control sex stories, are those where mind control and even telepathy, is somehow used as part of a sexual act. One of the most commonly used mind control techniques is hypnotizing someone, and then using suggestions to make them perform sexual acts or bring themselves to orgasm while under hypnosis. Characters are often hypnotised into behaving less restrained than they might be in real life. A person may have a secret longing to be used as a sexual plaything, but are unlikely to realise that fantasy unless it was brought out under hypnosis. Another common theme in mind control stories, is turning the hypnotised person into a "people puppet", where the "villain" may use his psychic powers, to manipulate the limbs of his "victim", as if they were a puppet. For example, a person may not wish to be servile to another, but might be forced to kneel down in front of them (and perform various "services"), in a case of mind over matter.

It's about using mind control techniques used by someone to bring out hidden, secret, and suppressed desires in someone else...

I read the description, but isn't "behaving less restrained than they might be in real life" really close to the purpose of drugging someone? And isn't "a person may not wish to be servile to another, but might be forced to kneel down in front of them (and perform various "services")" essentially if that person is forced (as it says) to give a blow job to someone or have anal sex when they don't want it as part of that "service"? Please explain the difference, because I don't see it.
The Linebacker
0 likes
For instance, if a person under no circumstances would be not be servile and kneel down and give a blow job, no amount of mind control will make them do it. Because that is way beyond their character. But if they do do it, then deep down they've harbored the desire to. The mind control brings that out. It is a latent part of their character.

There can be a host of reasons someone suppresses their desires such as peer pressure, religion, social standing, corporate hierarchy, etc. But deep inside those are things that they could do, so mind control brings that to the service.

It's the same concept as the prudish librarian that under the right circumstance becomes a sexual dynamo.

If we as story verifiers determine that a storyline and action in this genre is being written as , we'll reject that.

I can't explain it any better. The description of Mind Control that goes with the category seems to make perfect sense to me. If anyone doesn't understand the category or finds it repulsive, then they should avoid it. There are categories I do not write in because I wouldn't enjoy it. Just use common sense.

If someone desires an Omnium Badge enough to force themselves to write in all categories, even if they don't like them, then they've earned the Badge, at least until we add another category. Sorry, that's just how it is. It's actually a pretty good representation of how real life works.
Marx Sister
0 likes
Buz,

I don't disagree with what you've here, but I can also see adele's point, at least as far as clarity goes. The way the section's blurb is written, the scope of possible crossover between mind control and outright non-consent is a fairly wide spectrum of gray here, though one which I know the mods here won't have so hard a time guarding against. Still, I would say that the definition of the category could be a little clearer; specifically I think it could use a point of clarification regarding the premise of the character who is being controlled needing some sort of innate desire for the acts they are performing, in order for a story to meet the criteria of the category.

Quote by Buz
There can be a host of reasons someone suppresses their desires such as peer pressure, religion, social standing, corporate hierarchy, etc. But deep inside those are things that they could do, so mind control brings that to the service.

This very line could be reworded slightly and integrated into the category's description. Perhaps it could also include something likening the subject to an extension of the dominant-submissive dynamic.

Quote by Buz

If someone desires an Omnium Badge enough to force themselves to write in all categories, even if they don't like them, then they've earned the Badge, at least until we add another category. Sorry, that's just how it is. It's actually a pretty good representation of how real life works.

As a final point, I'm not sure if I agree that the issuing and subsequent revocation of the omnium badge is a good analogy of life, but I certainly agree with the sentiment you're expressing here.

Finally, thanks for taking the time to answer people's questions about stuff like this, and generally being an awesome moderator.

• • • • •

Adele,

Quote by adele
I don't see any announcement about this anywhere, and then suddenly there it is. Why even bother having an Omnium badge if the site is going to keep randomly adding categories and then taking it away from those that have earned it?

I didn't see an announcement either, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Even if there was no announcement, what does that have to do your complaints about the category? It's obviously been discussed by the mods, the admin, and Nicola, so that ship has clearly sailed. As I understand it, Gav has added a feature where you can hide certain categories, if you are bothered by them. Lush has some of the strictest terms of use of any major erotic fiction site, yet whenever they are relaxed even a tiny bit, it causes controversy. I'm curious, is this more about the category, or the omnium badge? There is no judgment attached to that question, I really am just curious.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
That sneaky Nicola, trying to sneakily sneak stuff past us all sneaky-like...

She probably just hasn't gotten around to making an announcement post about it yet.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Mind Control? i thought we were discussing Wind Control. damn. i might have voted differently if i'd known. seriously need to get new glasses and/or stop dropping acid.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by She
Buz,

I don't disagree with what you've here, but I can also see adele's point, at least as far as clarity goes. The way the section's blurb is written, the scope of possible crossover between mind control and outright non-consent is a fairly wide spectrum of gray here, though one which I know the mods here won't have so hard a time guarding against. Still, I would say that the definition of the category could be a little clearer; specifically I think it could use a point of clarification regarding the premise of the character who is being controlled needing some sort of innate desire for the acts they are performing, in order for a story to meet the criteria of the category.

That' kinda my point, the blurb needs to be made clearer, similar to the reluctance category, where the person may start out reluctant, but eventually comes to like what is happening. I don't really have an objection to the category, just that as explained, it seemed too close to or drugging IMHO. Clarify the blurb and I feel that will fix the problem. In fact the horror story I am in the process of writing would also fit in this category (and since it will be a multi-parter, I'm all good).

Quote by She
I didn't see an announcement either, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Even if there was no announcement, what does that have to do your complaints about the category? It's obviously been discussed by the mods, the admin, and Nicola, so that ship has clearly sailed. As I understand it, Gav has added a feature where you can hide certain categories, if you are bothered by them. Lush has some of the strictest terms of use of any major erotic fiction site, yet whenever they are relaxed even a tiny bit, it causes controversy. I'm curious, is this more about the category, or the omnium badge? There is no judgment attached to that question, I really am just curious.

There is no announcement unless it was put in a totally different place than the last announcement. Just frustrating to look and all of a sudden see another new category without warning.

The complaint is that less than a month ago 11 new categories (plus reviving the Incest category) were announced, and the few of us that had the Omnium badge had it removed without warning. A little heads up or a period of time to fill in the new categories might have been nice, or even a warning that we were going to lose the badge. It was not an easy badge to earn in the first place, and for people still working towards it, even harder now.

If someone wins a medal for a race, and then they change the rules, they don't take away that person's medal if they won it fair an square under the old rules, but that is exactly what lush did.

I was questioning both. One because I am on the final story I need to get the badge back,and now they have changed the rules again. And two, because I truly wondered how the category, as described, did not break their own rules.

Just as an aside, if the intent is to keep adding new categories every month or three, then why not just do away with the Omnium badge altogether and replace it with a Category badge, say starting at 30, and going up in increments of 10? So anyone that already has 40 categories covered would get a 30 and a 40, etc. That would also provide incentive for people getting some recognition for writing stories in a greater number of genres, as well as allowing for those who may have a moral or personal objection to one or two of the categories. And people would not lose a badge just because new categories were added. In fact there might be more incentive to try new categories as it could earn you another badge.
Lurker
0 likes
Bring it on. The more taboo categories the better. It's the taboo themes that people want to read. Everything else is shit boring.

I was shocked when I first joined Lush and noticed that incest and non-con stories were not allowed. The vast majority of people see those 2 categories are banned and move on and never come back to Lush.

People should realise that this site needs traffic to generate revenue in order to fund its upkeep. Non consent and incest stories will generate more traffic and revenue than all the other categories combined. Every other site caters for incest and non consent and sees huge benefits from it. Why should Lush be any different?

If you don't like it, don't read it. Just stop fucking moaning. It's pathetic.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Taboo_Lad

If you don't like it, don't read it. Just stop fucking moaning. It's pathetic.

not everyone has that option (says the senior story mod who is okay with incest stories, but very much not okay with non-consent (a fancy name for ) stories.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
You DO have the option. Non consent stories would pull in huge amounts of traffic and revenue for the site -- much-needed traffic and revenue. If other sites benefit from it, why shouldn't Lush?

People would join who are capable of verifying non consent stories. Nobody expects you to read stories that you're not comfortable with. Nobody can force you to read something you don't want to.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Taboo_Lad
You DO have the option. Non consent stories would pull in huge amounts of traffic and revenue for the site -- much-needed traffic and revenue. If other sites benefit from it, why shouldn't Lush?

People would join who are capable of verifying non consent stories. Nobody expects you to read stories that you're not comfortable with. Nobody can force you to read something you don't want to.

nope. seriously, i don't. ask anyone. and story mods are carefully vetted. we don't just take random people in. smile

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Mind Control? i thought we were discussing Wind Control. damn. i might have voted differently if i'd known. seriously need to get new glasses and/or stop dropping acid.

I thought it was Mime Control. Cuz those guys are getting out of hand.

It's a pretty soft line between mind-control and non-consensual, but I say err on the side of too much freedom and let the category stand. I once had an adolescent fantasy about controlling the mind of some girl who lived down the block. Hadn't thought about it in decades, until I saw this thread.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

nope. seriously, i don't. ask anyone. and story mods are carefully vetted. we don't just take random people in. smile

I agree. And once non consent stories are allowed and the traffic has picked up, then the new members that are willing to verify non consent stories can be "carefully vetted" and publish the stories that the vast majority of people out there want to read. Non consent stories will pull in a whole new audience, a lot of good people, and new moderators.

No one person is bigger or more important than the site itself.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

It's a pretty soft line between mind-control and non-consensual, but I say err on the side of too much freedom and let the category stand. I once had an adolescent fantasy about controlling the mind of some girl who lived down the block. Hadn't thought about it in decades, until I saw this thread.

we have already had the discussion on how tricky it might be - not walking into this blind (cept for me - seriously, the new kitty stole my glasses and his them during the night. *sighs*).

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Taboo_Lad

Nicola is, actually. that said, i really do appreciate (no sarcasm intended) your thoughts on growing the site - trust me, that's the reason we reinstated incest - i just think that the fallout of non-consent would be a bit more chaotic than you might realize. smile

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I thought it was Mime Control. Cuz those guys are getting out of hand.

Cool. Write it down and upload it to Lush. We would love to read it. Given time, that category will pull in more readers then the others put together.

This site needs to cater to the masses, instead of the few. That's all there is to it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

- i just think that the fallout of non-consent would be a bit more chaotic than you might realize. smile

As long as there is order in the chaos, we're going down the right path and doing the right thing. Believe me.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

we have already had the discussion on how tricky it might be - not walking into this blind (cept for me - seriously, the new kitty stole my glasses and his them during the night. *sighs*).

Perhaps the kitty has gotten into your stash of acid. smile

Taboo Lad, I already have the idea written down. Not of actually controlling her mind, but of some teenage boy fantasizing about controlling her mind (and then meeting her). That's a better story.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Perhaps the kitty has gotten into your stash of acid. smile

Taboo Lad, I already have the idea written down. Not of actually controlling her mind, but of some teenage boy fantasizing about controlling her mind (and then meeting her). That's a better story.

Controlling her mind and pounding her sounds better.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

She probably just hasn't gotten around to making an announcement post about yet.

Either that or she's worried about the backlash from the whingers holding back the site and moaning about everything and fucking everything up. Let's move things forward and take shit to the next level and roll.

Peace.

Live and let live.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I like this as a category, I think we will see some really creative work with this one. I also have faith that most writers and certainly the Mods will ensure the content doesn't cross into the territory of non-consent. As for adding new categories I think its good for the site, helps keep it fresh and interesting. Granted I am light years away from an Omnium but if I actually had such a badge writing a few more stories wouldn't bother me. Life is about growing, learning and experience. Writing should be too.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by Taboo_Lad
I agree. And once non consent stories are allowed and the traffic has picked up, then the new members that are willing to verify non consent stories can be "carefully vetted" and publish the stories that the vast majority of people out there want to read. Non consent stories will pull in a whole new audience, a lot of good people, and new moderators.

Says the man with 1 story, 11 posts (7 in this thread alone) and barely 7 months on the site.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Mind Control? i thought we were discussing Wind Control.

OMG! Stop it. You made me pee my pants, and that category already exists.

BTW... Eproctophilia is what you were referencing, I think. Don't do it again or you may motivate me to write another fetish story.

The story takes place on a full elevator, and it's called, Getting Off Here

Damn it! It's already working. Damn mind control.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by Buz
For instance, if a person under no circumstances would be not be servile and kneel down and give a blow job, no amount of mind control will make them do it. Because that is way beyond their character. But if they do do it, then deep down they've harbored the desire to. The mind control brings that out. It is a latent part of their character.

It's the same concept as the prudish librarian that under the right circumstance becomes a sexual dynamo.

If we as story verifiers determine that a storyline and action in this genre is being written as , we'll reject that.

I can't explain it any better. The description of Mind Control that goes with the category seems to make perfect sense to me. If anyone doesn't understand the category or finds it repulsive, then they should avoid it. There are categories I do not write in because I wouldn't enjoy it. Just use common sense.

It is not just a dislike of a category, but in some cases, a moral objection, or a personal one (like maybe someone was abused as a child by being pissed on, so watersports is more than just a nasty fetish to them). At any rate, I did not say I objected to the category, only that I wanted some clarification. The wording, as it stands is at the very least ambiguous, and at most, easily interpreted incorrectly. You provided that, but I think (as She said), the additional wording should be included in the blurb explaining it. In the long run, it will save writers and mods time.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by adele

Says the man with 1 story, 11 posts (7 in this thread alone) and barely 7 months on the site.

I use the other site mostly because this site has never catered for my favourite taboo subjects -- incest, mind control and non consent. I'm one of several thousand people who rarely use this site for the same reason.

Now Lush is going in the right direction and allowing the more popular categories, people just moan about it. Soon, the attention seekers will be crawling out the woodwork saying, "Oh no! I was once a victim of mind control. It's a trigger word for me. I can't even look at the word without breaking down and crying".

They did it when the incest category started up and they'll do it when the site starts accepting non consent stories as well.

And then the attention seekers will start moaning about their omnium badge.

It really is sad to see grown adults acting in such a childish manner.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Mind control?

Wouldn't it take one to control one?

Better scratch that from my list of Lush category possibilities. (sigh)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by adele

Why bother having a hard to get badge if it's going to be easy to get? The omnium badge means a story written in every category right? So do you want lush to never add any categories because you have a dumbass badge? A badge that to be honest doesn't amount to shit really... That said, the doesn't mean shit part, the more categories there are the more impressive the badge becomes, yeah? I know you can bullshit most categories and get the badge anyway.. but still... if there were 1,000 categories it would make the badge way more impressive than "well I got it when there were 15 categories so I should get to keep it", that's bitch shit.

To make my nonsense above clear.. I mean that an omnium badge should be as it is intended, a story in every category. It's something to chase. Preferably with quality stories and not just reworked stories from another category to qualify. Unless you have no pride. Unless a fake medal or trophy is just as good to you. But seriously, a person that is able to write an original, compelling story in every category, and add new ones when new categories are added, that is a true lush author. NOT people who just add some horseshit to collect a badge or rework an old story and submit it in a new category... those "authors" are cancer who drown out good writing because they take advantage of the system.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by Taboo_Lad
I use the other site mostly because this site has never catered for my favourite taboo subjects -- incest, mind control and non consent. I'm one of several thousand people who rarely use this site for the same reason.

Now Lush is going in the right direction and allowing the more popular categories, people just moan about it. Soon, the attention seekers will be crawling out the woodwork saying, "Oh no! I was once a victim of mind control. It's a trigger word for me. I can't even look at the word without breaking down and crying".

They did it when the incest category started up and they'll do it when the site starts accepting non consent stories as well.

And then the attention seekers will start moaning about their omnium badge.

It really is sad to see grown adults acting in such a childish manner.

So now you are dissing victims of abuse or or violence (to themselves or close family or friends) and are saying they should just put that aside and not feel anything about it? Or have an opinion about it? If you dislike this site so much, why are you here? What do you base your statement about being "one of several thousand people who rarely use Lush"? Have you taken a personal survey of members of every other site asking why they don't use Lush?

As far as the Omnium badge, it was a simple question about adding new categories (which I do NOT have a problem with) without any warning or accommodation to allow time to retain the badge. The people that earned it, earned it based on the rules in place at the time. Lush changed the rules and took it way based on new rules. That is not the way real life works. Medals and awards given based on one set of rules do not get rescinded due to subsequent rule changes. Those changes are effective from the time the rules go into effect forward.

As far as the incest category, Lush used to have that as one of the genres. When nicola decided to do away with it, there was far more positive response than negative. Buy you wouldn't know that because you have not been here that long.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Liz

She probably just hasn't gotten around to making an announcement post about it yet.

This is the first I've heard that it's even been added. Gav kind of works on "Gav time", and things get done when they do, which I respect.

For all the Omnium badge obsessors, I've now decided, as a a matter of policy, to add a new category every week. They will become more and more obscure.