HIV Vaccine 31% effective in trials

last reply
15 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have done some work in Tanzania, Zambia and Sierra Leone which all have pretty high HIV/AIDS rates. And in some of the villages we worked in we were having problems because some of the male leaders would say something about how condoms were "evil" and that they needed to be boiled before use. Which means they no longer do their jobs. In one of these villages in particular we had made progress convincing them that was just a bunch of malarky.

Then some other volunteers passing through came and said that HIV really doesn't cause AIDS and that AIDS is not the result of an STD. So the people stopped using the condoms we provided. They said they did ths because they were stopping us from spending unnecesary money for a made up disease.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Honestly from what I have read of the study, the groups findings seem to me to be greatly over stated.

There were two groups of 8000 participents in each group, one was given the drug and one wasn't.

In the control group 74 people became infected with the virus compared to 51 who took the drug.

Now statistically that seems to me to hardly give overwelming scientific conformation that the drug is effective. Maybe with more tests the numbers may be able to be repeatable, 74 to 51 is not going to change anybodies lives anytime soon
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by rxtales
I have done some work in Tanzania, Zambia and Sierra Leone which all have pretty high HIV/AIDS rates. And in some of the villages we worked in we were having problems because some of the male leaders would say something about how condoms were "evil" and that they needed to be boiled before use. Which means they no longer do their jobs. In one of these villages in particular we had made progress convincing them that was just a bunch of malarky.

Then some other volunteers passing through came and said that HIV really doesn't cause AIDS and that AIDS is not the result of an STD. So the people stopped using the condoms we provided. They said they did ths because they were stopping us from spending unnecesary money for a made up disease.

That's really frustrating. Believing in a course of action and then having it undermined.

It's a conundrum to me. There are very smart people who are clearly risking a lot to say that there is no connection between HIV and AIDS, there are experts who have made statements that AIDS was a biologically engineered disease. Those statements are contrary to the medical establishment's current explanation and positions.

Reading the reports on the link I posted above, they say that AZT, the primary treatment for AIDS, causes the AIDS symptoms. There is no test for AIDS, only for HIV. Is there really a connection? How does the appearance of symptoms vary between treated and non-treated HIV patients? Do patients exhibit AIDS symptoms without having HIV?

I just feel there is much more to this whole epidemic, and the political maneuvering being done surrounding it.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by Jacknife
Honestly from what I have read of the study, the groups findings seem to me to be greatly over stated.

There were two groups of 8000 participents in each group, one was given the drug and one wasn't.

In the control group 74 people became infected with the virus compared to 51 who took the drug.

Now statistically that seems to me to hardly give overwelming scientific conformation that the drug is effective. Maybe with more tests the numbers may be able to be repeatable, 74 to 51 is not going to change anybodies lives anytime soon

Two groups of 8000 is a pretty large cohort, and they did not say overwhelming, they said for a vaccine it was a statistically significant difference.

That is like saying that anti-lock brakes will reduce your chances of a crash. You may still crash, but it will be less likely to happen.
Lurker
0 likes
My mom died from AIDS. Enough said. I want a fucking cure, for not only that, but Cancer too. I have lost a few family members from that too. Innocent people die everyday from either or disease. The time to do something about it has way been passed. I hope they find something out there that can cure these diseases. NOBODY CHOOSES TO DIE LIKE THIS!!
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Playmale
there are experts who have made statements that AIDS was a biologically engineered disease.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if pharmaceutical companies were behind hiv / aids in the first place. I'm serious. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist either.

Sorry about your loss sexynsweet.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by Playmale
there are experts who have made statements that AIDS was a biologically engineered disease.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if pharmaceutical companies were behind hiv / aids in the first place. I'm serious. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist either.

I agree. It's not profitable to find a cure for either HIV or cancer. Think of the billions made off the people that have either one of them.
When you see the amounts of money put out for pills etc. to keep you going, you can see why they don't want to lose that revenue.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by nicola
Quote by Playmale

I agree. It's not profitable to find a cure for either HIV or cancer. Think of the billions made off the people that have either one of them.
When you see the amounts of money put out for pills etc. to keep you going, you can see why they don't want to lose that revenue.

It may not be profitable but the people making these drugs should do it cuase it is the right thing to do. As Sexynsweet09 said people do not need to die this way. Shit we an send a man to the moon 40 years ago shit like this should be gone by now. I mean come on we are in the 21st fucking century. Yeah I know they need to recover their costs for all the reseach but shit make it affordable so people that are sick can buy the damn meds.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
What a load of crap ... now we just need the 911 theories
diseases have evolved like all things human ..we do not use our bodies or feed our
bosies as they were intended to be ...
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
diseases have evolved like all things human ..we do not use our bodies or feed our

Hey, someone had to replace Durrasch
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by DBarclay

Hey, someone had to replace Durrasch

LMFAO Nicki
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
HIV does lead to AIDS. HIV is a retro virus that rewrites RNA thereby changing your DNA when it is replicated. It attacks your T cells which is a main part of your immune system. Once these cells have been comprimised with the virus then they stop defending the body and in the case of AIDS they can either allow simple things (the common cold) to be the death of the person or they can turn the immune system on itself and there by causing the body to see its self as a threat and attack its self (this happens in diseases such as rhumatoid arthritis).

The drugs for HIV have come a long ways, they are working on getting them to stop the virus from replicating. It is not a human engineered disease. And the drug companies would make more money off of a "cure" then constant treatment. However HIV continually changes and morphs with each generation getting more resistant to our drugs. Cancer is also something that is different from one person to the next, one woman who has breast cancer doesnt necessarily have the same breast cancer as the next woman. So finding a "cure" for these diesases still has a long ways to go since the treatment is dependent on the person and therefore needs to be specifically engineered for that person.

The drugs are outragously expensive, and they shouldn't be near what they are in cost. Sadly all drugs are, and there is no reason when most of them only cost pennies to make.
Apple
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay

What'd he say?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sexynsweet09
My mom died from AIDS. Enough said. I want a fucking cure, for not only that, but Cancer too. I have lost a few family members from that too. Innocent people die everyday from either or disease. The time to do something about it has way been passed. I hope they find something out there that can cure these diseases. NOBODY CHOOSES TO DIE LIKE THIS!!

so sorry sexy! I lost my dad to cancer in 2004. It was absolutely the worst thing I have ever been through in my life. He was only 50 years old. Cancer is terrible and I hope they find something to cure it someday.