last reply
22 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Okay, I seem to have screwed up again.

As a kid my Mom always seemed elated at getting gifts for the house (blender, mixer, potted plant etc) however, my bride long ago forebade any pressies of that ilk. She wanted jewellry, or choccies etc - and I get that. However, why is it still wrong to slip in, for example, a new blender in WITH the choccies & flowers on a womans birthday. It it some sort of code I broke? And what about christmas?

Bear in mind, it seems perfectly okay for my wife to buy me a new lawn mower or power drill (gag!) for my birthday/christmas. And I had better be grateful!!!! Seems like a double standard going on here.

Comments. Advice.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
0 likes
I can see your point. Giving presents to do with gender roles like kitchen stuff for the woman or DIY stuff for the man just seems to reiterate that these jobs are for you and you only.

I would still say its wrong to slip in the blender with other presents that she actually wants cos it implies that thats all she does and is good for.. cooking and doing other 'womanly' chores. If the kitchen, not she, the kitchen needs new pots and pans or what not then get that when theyre needed and as a necessity not a present. Same as you dont want a lawn mower or any other chorey things for your birthday. Next time why not come up with something you actually want and tell her to get whatever it is, something you want, not need.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love the way you write about your marriage.

I've seen power tools designed for women - why not try that? Don't send me the divorce bill though.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by mercianknight
Okay, I seem to have screwed up again.

As a kid my Mom always seemed elated at getting gifts for the house (blender, mixer, potted plant etc) however, my bride long ago forebade any pressies of that ilk. She wanted jewellry, or choccies etc - and I get that. However, why is it still wrong to slip in, for example, a new blender in WITH the choccies & flowers on a womans birthday. It it some sort of code I broke? And what about christmas?

Bear in mind, it seems perfectly okay for my wife to buy me a new lawn mower or power drill (gag!) for my birthday/christmas. And I had better be grateful!!!! Seems like a double standard going on here.

Comments. Advice.

I dunno, ask her why she doesn't want those things as presents, first of all. She most likely has a valid reason. You can't read her mind, and neither can I.

Personally, I prefer to pick and chose those items, going by what I consider I need, which particular brand name I consider to be "best", how many options the thing might have, and so on. If my husband were to pick it out for me as a gift, I'd be annoyed, because I'd see it as him trying to define my needs without asking me or listening to me. That really annoys me. OTOH, I do not pick out the guy toys and tools for him, he can do it himself.

I did have input into what colour car we should get, and insisted he spring for the metallic paint, which delighted him no end, but that was the fruit of a discussion. Maybe discussion is what's missing in your situation.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Good advice so far. Keep it up.

I plead 'guilty' to the male obsession with "just fix it". If she constantly goes on about needing a new hair dryer or blender because the one she has sucks, then I just get her what she 'needs' as my sign that I care & provide. I am unable to go out and bludgeon a gazelle with my club as my ancestors did, so a hunting trip to 'Best Buy' seems an acceptable compromise - in a mans world.

As an FYI, her lingerie collection would make most of you women green with envy - years of pressies - now, if I can just get her to wear the darn things!!

Now I'm going to put the fly in the ointment re the 'discussion' suggestion.

"Just surprise me" is the standard response to my probes re pressies and such. Well, at least I've got the surprise bit sorted.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
0 likes
Okay, point by point, if I can manage it.

I plead 'guilty' to the male obsession with "just fix it". If she constantly goes on about needing a new hair dryer or blender because the one she has sucks, then I just get her what she 'needs' as my sign that I care & provide.

Don't do that! ASK her if you can help. Talk to her and ask her if you can do anything. Say "I'm sorry the ------ sucks, do we need to replace it? Is there one you would prefer? Is it urgent?"

If you see it as you doing the "provide her with what I perceive she needs as a sign that I care and provide for you, etc, etc," trust me, she might not be seeing it that way. If you have never ever discussed this, give it a try in a non-confrontational way and I'll bet you will have your eyes opened at the discrepancy between what you perceived and what she meant.

Also she might just need to sound off about the stupid thing. Both genders do that, so don't go off on a tangent about "women, blah blah blah", men can car talk endlessly for instance, complaining about all the problems with the one they have, yet still be happy with it. It could just be the need to give voice to those things. I'm not going to say "bitch", because that relegates it to something that is annoying which women do. Men bitch, too.

I am unable to go out and bludgeon a gazelle with my club as my ancestors did, so a hunting trip to 'Best Buy' seems an acceptable compromise - in a mans world.

Nul and void, I've never heard of gazelles in England, so your ancestors didn't do that. Gazelles can't be clubbed, anyway, they have to be brought down by cheetahs. Do you have a cheetah amonst your ancestors?

Now then, leaving the smart ass replies aside, the true Best Buy in a man's world comes from the Land of the Sacred Gift Certificate. This is a variation of a card containing cash, the card saying "Darling, (or whatever terms of endearment you use) I couldn't find something appropriate (second parenthetical suggestion, have something like chocolates anyway to go with the card, it can be a small quantity), so I am trusting to your good taste to use this in the most appropriate way." Or something of that nature.

I'm laughing myself silly about the lingerie, by the way; I could easily do with a second dresser just for my lingerie, and yes, I wear it, and I buy it for myself. I wasn't even going to suggest that, but go back to the gift certificate idea.

"Just surprise me" is the standard response to my probes re pressies and such. Well, at least I've got the surprise bit sorted.

No, not good enough. Give some details of the latest debacle, which you opened the discussion with. Give some details as to how you ask about presents and such, as in, how do you actually word it? Or tell her that you're no damned good with surprises because you feel you get it wrong. That's what I mean about instigating a discussion.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
I'm not going to say "bitch", because that relegates it to something that is annoying which women do. Men bitch, too.

I am unable to go out and bludgeon a gazelle with my club as my ancestors did, so a hunting trip to 'Best Buy' seems an acceptable compromise - in a mans world.

Nul and void, I've never heard of gazelles in England, so your ancestors didn't do that. Gazelles can't be clubbed, anyway, they have to be brought down by cheetahs. Do you have a cheetah amonst your ancestors?

Well, "Yes", but it's spelt 'cheater' It may have been a poor metaphor, but it was still a metaphor. Plus, whilst I may be English, ALL of humanity's ancestors allegedly came from Africa where, let me think, Oh yes they have Gazelles

No, not good enough. Give some details of the latest debacle, which you opened the discussion with. Give some details as to how you ask about presents and such, as in, how do you actually word it? Or tell her that you're no damned good with surprises because you feel you get it wrong. That's what I mean about instigating a discussion.

I feel much better having had a good nights sleep, AND because gypsy has taken the time to lend a hand. Now, taking account of my uncontrollable urge to resort to smart-ass replies (see above) I offer the following.

After 20 yrs of marriage and, in my humble opinion, having exhausted the usual gift giving ideas, I have resorted to the more subtle tactic of saying things like "What would you like for your birthday, hon?" Response? See above.

The Gift Certificate is a great idea, however, it ran it's course about ten years ago with comments like 'impersonal', 'lack of thought' coming from my beloved. But you are a sweetie for trying, unfortunately, I've created my own problem by spoiling my wife all these years - birthday, valentines, first date anniversary, wedding anniversary and christmas.

This discussion was brought to a head by my usual need to plan ahead and, in a discussion about what she would like for christmas, and with due regard for the state of the world economy and need to rein in 'some' luxuries, I mistakenly thought it would be a good idea to put a new digital camera and a blender (honest) on her list. I'd still get her nice personal stuff too - I'm not a complete pig - but I guess it was her vitriolic reaction that got to me. Anyway, seeing the frank discussions here is what tempted me to ask.

As for me, I like to think I always tell my wife what I want - and then she ignores it and tries to get me 'useful' stuff. Last year I wanted to replace the Playstation 2 with a Playstation 3 so that my daughter and I could get the latest versions of Dance Mat (no laughing). What did I get? A power washer.... a freakin power washer. I still don't have a PS3.

Aaah screw it.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by mercianknight

I feel much better having had a good nights sleep, AND because gypsy has taken the time to lend a hand. Now, taking account of my uncontrollable urge to resort to smart-ass replies (see above) I offer the following.

After 20 yrs of marriage and, in my humble opinion, having exhausted the usual gift giving ideas, I have resorted to the more subtle tactic of saying things like "What would you like for your birthday, hon?" Response? See above.

The Gift Certificate is a great idea, however, it ran it's course about ten years ago with comments like 'impersonal', 'lack of thought' coming from my beloved. But you are a sweetie for trying, unfortunately, I've created my own problem by spoiling my wife all these years - birthday, valentines, first date anniversary, wedding anniversary and christmas.

This discussion was brought to a head by my usual need to plan ahead and, in a discussion about what she would like for christmas, and with due regard for the state of the world economy and need to rein in 'some' luxuries, I mistakenly thought it would be a good idea to put a new digital camera and a blender (honest) on her list. I'd still get her nice personal stuff too - I'm not a complete pig - but I guess it was her vitriolic reaction that got to me. Anyway, seeing the frank discussions here is what tempted me to ask.

As for me, I like to think I always tell my wife what I want - and then she ignores it and tries to get me 'useful' stuff. Last year I wanted to replace the Playstation 2 with a Playstation 3 so that my daughter and I could get the latest versions of Dance Mat (no laughing). What did I get? A power washer.... a freakin power washer. I still don't have a PS3.

Aaah screw it.

I'm impressed that it's Christmas you're thinking ahead to; what about books? Does she read, or is that something else she would buy for herself?

Does she have her own personal DVD reader? I asked for one for my birthday a few years ago and love it.

Actually, I don't understand anyone who doesn't give out some helpful hints when asked for, but says "surprise me", and then gets annnoyed at the surprise. If my husband asks me if I have any ideas what I want, I either tell him, or say "surprise me", and accept whatever it is he choses.

However, have you enlisted your daughter's help in the question? Doesn't matter how old she is, make her your co-conspirator, she might actually have some ideas as to what her mother might like to be surprised with, and besides, how could your wife object if your daughter has been part of the decision making?

Have you pointed out to her that she gets you useful sfuff you don't want, or would that cause all hell to break loose?

If you point the way to whichever message boards she posts on, I'll assume a different identity and drop the hint to her that you'd REALLY like that Playstation 3. Or get that for her? Wait, no, that might not be a good idea after all. Could start a big battle.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks Gypsy. I think you're probably spot on in enlisting my daughters help.

Moving on......

Lurker
0 likes
I've debated whether or not to post here because I didn't want to start an all-out blow up over men vs. women and who does more for whom... but I feel that this is warranted.

I don't know how you are with regard to housework, but one thing I would LOVE for my birthday (or other significant gift holiday) is to be awakened to a fresh steaming cup of coffee, the offer of breakfast (and no attitude about my answer) and to be whisked away for the day to a spa or other indulgent affair with my friends. I return home to find a clean house, a spotless yard, an immaculate car and promises that they will remain that way for the next # of days.

Then it's a beautifully prepared dinner (beautiful because it's not prepared by me!), a long relaxing soak in the tub (or massage or something else that pampers) and to be told that I don't have to do or decide anything until the day is over (and that doesn't mean at MIDNIGHT!).

Just my thoughts.

Ling
Mr Nobody
0 likes
More lies spoken ... No gazelles in the UK
WTF is this then ....

Lurker
0 likes
Ok. Here goes. My hubs and I had this discussion almost 20 years ago now. No clothes unless he asks for a certain something. He always got clothes from the grands when he was a kid. Socks from this one, t-shirts from that one, etc.
The way I have always made him happy is to listen through out the year. He will see something when we're out and say whoa that's cool. File it away in your mind and whenever you can get that for a present. Also try to think outside the box.
My hubs grew up on and love Transformers. When the movie came out year before last he liked it too. So I went to Toys R Us and got him the Optimus Prime mask that turns your voice into his. Dumb? Yes. Did he laugh like a little boy? Hell yeah and even put it on and talked through it. He did it maybe 4 times and now it sits on top of his desk in his office. Waste of money? I don't think so.
Same thing for A Christmas Story. That dumb movie that comes out every year about a kid that wants a b b gun and his dad wins a sexy leg lamp as a prize from a contest. I got him the leg lamp one year for Christmas. He laughed out loud at that too. It's around here somewhere I think.
The point is, he didn't ask for them but he loved what they were attached to.
As Ling said, being a woman she should love a spa day. Or even a massage. You might want to start slow if she's never done that before. I give great gift certs. Massages usually come that way. Think of the Russian Nesting dolls. Put the gift cert in a small box wrapped up, then a little bigger one and than another one. Etc. I gave a gift cert to my FIL one year that was in a box as big as a coffin.
Lurker
0 likes
More lies spoken ... No gazelles in the UK

And you, or any other man alive, would club that?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hubby and I seem to do well on the gifts, but I'm usually helpful, pointing out various things I need or want well beforehand, and he does the same. Of course, going into your partners mind and looking for the truly unusual will always get you points. Three years ago I picked up a pair of bunny slippers for hubby, but these were the psychotic bunny from Monty Python's Search For the Holy Grail, with fangs and dripping blood. He laughed hysterically and wears them almost every day. He brought tears to my eyes with a rare early edition of the Hobbit as well, do some deep thinking, look at her likes, hobbies, favorites in film or books, and try to be just a little different. She'll appreciate it!!
Also, a suggestion on "useful" gifts? Don't make them gifts. My blender was shot, and hubby just out of the blue got me a new one with all the bells and whistles, I practically him in the kitchen because I needed it so badly. If he'd gotten it for a birthday or Christmas gift, I'd have shot him.
Just my 2 cents...
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
DB - thanks for the brilliant post. LMAO Way more effective response I reckon.

Quote by Ling-Li
I've debated whether or not to post here because I didn't want to start an all-out blow up over men vs. women and who does more for whom... but I feel that this is warranted.

I don't know how you are with regard to housework, but one thing I would LOVE for my birthday (or other significant gift holiday) is to be awakened to a fresh steaming cup of coffee, the offer of breakfast (and no attitude about my answer) and to be whisked away for the day to a spa or other indulgent affair with my friends. I return home to find a clean house, a spotless yard, an immaculate car and promises that they will remain that way for the next # of days.

Then it's a beautifully prepared dinner (beautiful because it's not prepared by me!), a long relaxing soak in the tub (or massage or something else that pampers) and to be told that I don't have to do or decide anything until the day is over (and that doesn't mean at MIDNIGHT!).

Just my thoughts.

Ling

Ling, never be shy about posting because it adds to the spice and variety. Apparently, your fantasy is my wife's life LOL

To the rest of you, it is actually good to hear the diverse opinions on this topic and, to me, funny to hear some of the suggestions made because, invariably, I have already been doing them. Trust me, for this guy, it's tough to think of new ways to re-package old gift ideas after 20+ yrs, but I thank you all.

Lurker
0 likes
Chicks don't know what gifts to buy for guys, so they automatically go the tools route. "He's always doing something around the house. He'll like this."

But women like feminine things and not tools. They feel any appliance is a tool, which means work, and which means it's not a nice, feminine gift. It's something simply for "the kitchen" and which everybody will use. As soon as you buy something like that for her, you're implying she has to do the cooking or cleaning, etc.
Lurker
0 likes
Gift cards are always a good idea..... Another idea might be, you could take her to the store and let her pick out her own gift.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by steffanie

I love the way you write about your marriage.

I've seen power tools designed for women - why not try that? Don't send me the divorce bill though.

I almost overlooked Steffi's response here, and for that I apologise. Just for a lark I would want to buy that pink set of tools, however, I'm still very fond of where my family jewels hand out. Steffi was also good enough to direct me in the direction of some 'very' interesting web-sites that will no doubt spice up my lingerie buying selection. Thanks.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You're welcome MK
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My present rule "If I lovit, can't live without it, buy it."

If wifey doesn't like spending time in the kitchen you shouldn't buy her something for the kitchen, you should just mention the fact that you expect the same from her smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
ok, when she says, "surprise me" it means, Find me something you know I am going to love. Here are a few "gifts" I got during my marriage, and he still wonders why I was not too pleased with them.
An iron.
An ironing board cover (no, it does not help that it has flowers on it),
A vacuum cleaner,
Sexy underwear too big/too small/too trashy,
A gift voucher,
A book entitled "How to Please Your Man In Bed",
A set of saucepans.
these were all genuine gift efforts, no exaggeration.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
As a man I thought I'd put my penny in. None of us like to receive presents designed for the house or home, including kitchen or garden implements. It smacks of laziness and thoughtless ness. It implies your partner is just there to do the cooking or gardening. We all like our partners to buy us something for us! It shows an effort is made and thought applied. My wife took me to Barcelona one birthday I bought her a whole years worth of manicures and pedicures! That's an extreme but there are other was to please just think outside the box or check the net!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would not be happy if I received a kitchen or household appliance as a birthday or Christmas gift from my SO unless he/she knew it was something I really wanted. Like if I really enjoyed cooking and I received a food processor or something like that. But to receive an electric can opener or a vacuum cleaner to me signifies that using them is my job in the house.

Just the same I would never buy a man power tools unless I knew that he enjoyed working with his hand on projects. I would never make it sound like fixing things is the man's job, so now you have no excuses.

These are things WE would just normally buy to have in the house so they can be used but whoever needs to use them.