last reply
63 replies
6.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Internet Sensation
0 likes
I don't have a good degree in English.
My grammar is decent, my punctuation is a bit messed up.
I know these things. That is why I took help from a friend of mine who is good at it.
Giving me back a story I hardly recognise.
I haven't even read it all, but the frustration of someone putting their fingers in what I have created.
For some reason it hurts.
Atleast now...

Anyone else had this experience?

I'm sure once I've read through it all a bit more and thought about it, I won't change much back to how it was.
But I kind of start to wonder, will it feel the same everytime or will I change my writing so that one day I wont need someone to help me edit it.

Time to go back to reading through the changes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
totally understand but i can't spell or write so well. they make it worth reading.
Carpe Diem

Red out
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
yea I've been there not with stories but with my poetry.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi Cat, It's a difficult one, because a good edit can make all the difference to how well a story reads. But there's the point, "a good edit." If he/she is changing the sense and meaning of your stories, then I'd say that that's not good editing. All an editor should be doing is tidying up the style of your writing, not reworking the content. I know this because I edit material myself, and I know that it's a fine line between ruining someone's work and improving it. Only you can make the judgement as to whether your work has been improved by an edit. Cx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Charley
Hi Cat, It's a difficult one, because a good edit can make all the difference to how well a story reads. But there's the point, "a good edit." If he/she is changing the sense and meaning of your stories, then I'd say that that's not good editing. All an editor should be doing is tidying up the style of your writing, not reworking the content. I know this because I edit material myself, and I know that it's a fine line between ruining someone's work and improving it. Only you can make the judgement as to whether your work has been improved by an edit. Cx

Very well put charley
Carpe Diem

Red out
Matriarch
0 likes
Oh thank heavens for that, I thought this was about someone else complaining about our verification process being too strict (not that it is).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
LOL hell no. we are just discussing the role of editors
Carpe Diem

Red out
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Its not easy when writing, reading or even speaking doesn't come naturally and is a struggle through out someones life! The key is not to give up but to keep trying and accept the help! But as I have learnt as I struggled to join the creative lush authors, I was taking it personally and feeling incompetent which is is just part of my who I am makeup.
Good luck to everyone!
Run
Internet Sensation
0 likes
Well, after my first period of despair and big problems with feeling molested through my story. I am now happy to (when I have changed two things) present my new story.
I have come to the conclusion that... My dear firend did a good job, in taking my harsh words and all. I am certain I will feel the same next time he helps me edit something but I am sure to learn in the process.

Nicola, I wouldn't complain about that.
(my first story got through... that says a lot :P)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Glad it all worked out for you, Cat. Cx
Lurker
0 likes
I think we all get frustrated, but can you imagine the editors. I have been rejected more times then most...but it's also a learning lesson.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Catnip
I don't have a good degree in English.
My grammar is decent, my punctuation is a bit messed up.
I know these things. That is why I took help from a friend of mine who is good at it.
Giving me back a story I hardly recognise.
I haven't even read it all, but the frustration of someone putting their fingers in what I have created.
For some reason it hurts.
Atleast now...

Anyone else had this experience?

I'm sure once I've read through it all a bit more and thought about it, I won't change much back to how it was.
But I kind of start to wonder, will it feel the same everytime or will I change my writing so that one day I wont need someone to help me edit it.

Time to go back to reading through the changes.

Eep! NO! Editors are not supposed to rewrite your work. They're supposed to point out your errors and may give you suggestions to sort out issues. (Like: maybe his would be better up here, may e you could use a different word here?)

Editors - good editors, like pro editors for pub companies - do not o this. They shouldn't anyway.

I know your friend meant well, just don't take it personally because she/he didn't know to not alter your writing. You can compare sentence structure and alter your original work with a new perspective or open mind.

When people try to be helpful and they're really not just say thank you - let it just glance off of you like you're a rain slick.

At the same time some people don't understand this about editin and when I edit for free they WANT me to tinker and rewrite. Nope - I won't. Their work, they do it, I just point out issues.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
"Easy reading is damned hard writing."

~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Catnip, I have "proofread" or "edited" stories for a few people here and the way I do it is when I see a correction that needs to be made I do it in red so that the writer can see their work AND the correction needed. It makes it easy for them to read through what they wrote, see My suggestion, and either accept it or not. I've found that to be the best way of doing it and once the author has gone through the story and made whatever changes they needed to, changing the text color is a simple thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Master J, Catnip,

An objective review and an informed edit are both critical to producing a good, not to mention great result. Lush's editors/reviewers provide both, for which I am grateful.

An uninformed edit is a catastrophe, of course. I recall decades ago filing an intelligence report on the aftermath of a nuclear accident. "Every oncology patient also presented with (DELETED) cancer." That was changed by a nincompoop to "Every oncology patient was also presented with (DELETED) cancer." At the national level the report was thrown away as garbage because I obviously did not know what I was talking about.

I had an early lush submission rejected for "typos and punctuation mistakes" and mixing both narrative and speech in a single paragraph. The criticisms were all incorrect, but I got the important advice. I rewrote the chapter from its freshman college reading level down to eighth grade. Worked like a charm.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by marktreble
Master J, Catnip,

An objective review and an informed edit are both critical to producing a good, not to mention great result. Lush's editors/reviewers provide both, for which I am grateful.

An uninformed edit is a catastrophe, of course. I recall decades ago filing an intelligence report on the aftermath of a nuclear accident. "Every oncology patient also presented with (DELETED) cancer." That was changed by a nincompoop to "Every oncology patient was also presented with (DELETED) cancer." At the national level the report was thrown away as garbage because I obviously did not know what I was talking about.

I had an early lush submission rejected for "typos and punctuation mistakes" and mixing both narrative and speech in a single paragraph. The criticisms were all incorrect, but I got the important advice. I rewrote the chapter from its freshman college reading level down to eighth grade. Worked like a charm.

Just so you know, mixing narrative and speech together makes stories much more difficult to read, particularly on a screen. In the same way that your text above is more difficult to read if it is presented without paragraphs:

An objective review and an informed edit are both critical to producing a good, not to mention great result. Lush's editors/reviewers provide both, for which I am grateful.An uninformed edit is a catastrophe, of course. I recall decades ago filing an intelligence report on the aftermath of a nuclear accident. "Every oncology patient also presented with (DELETED) cancer." That was changed by a nincompoop to "Every oncology patient was also presented with (DELETED) cancer." At the national level the report was thrown away as garbage because I obviously did not know what I was talking about.I had an early lush submission rejected for "typos and punctuation mistakes" and mixing both narrative and speech in a single paragraph. The criticisms were all incorrect, but I got the important advice. I rewrote the chapter from its freshman college reading level down to eighth grade. Worked like a charm.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Abigail,

We are in violent agreement about the necessity of making text easier to read. Sometimes actions occur directly related to a speech, and sometimes they occur simultaneous with the speech.

"You're a cocksucker," Naomi said. Despite Rick's denials and protests, she stood her ground. "You're a cocksucker."

Separating this into three paragraphs would be done were the material written for a fifth grade reading level. Above that level, the flow often improves by including related statements and actions in a single paragraph. Comprehension also improves so long as the paragraph is relatively short. My sample paragraph could go on for 87 more sentences and cover eleven pages while remaining properly structured. Structured, yes; understood, no.

Lush only accepts stories in English, which is fine. Most of my hundreds of thousands of pages of writing have been business documents and presentations, about half in a language other than the reader's/viewer's native language. In those cases, an additional issue must be addressed.

When reading in a non-native language, white space is pure gold. Crowded pages with lengthy paragraphs are intimidating.

Thanks for your verifier work.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by marktreble

"You're a cocksucker," Naomi said. Despite Rick's denials and protests, she stood her ground: "You're a cocksucker."

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
It would be nice if Lush had a space on its sub page for notes to mods. That way fair warning could be passed along about oft-beat spellings or unorthodox usage that the writer feels needs to be retained. Might take a bit of the guess-work out of checking over subs.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
It would be nice if Lush had a space on its sub page for notes to mods. That way fair warning could be passed along about oft-beat spellings or unorthodox usage that the writer feels needs to be retained. Might take a bit of the guess-work out of checking over subs.

This was implemented a while ago. There is a 'Note to Moderators' box on the bottom of the story submission page. smile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Oh thank heavens for that, I thought this was about someone else complaining about our verification process being too strict (not that it is).

Me too! I was all ready for a polite rant!
English Rose
0 likes
The Moderators generally do a fab job and I really don't mind punctuation being corrected as well as typos etc, but I had a Moderator change "take away" to "take out". It must have been an American Moderator who changed it. I was really annoyed. They both mean the same thing, so I thought it was a pretty petty change. I have nothing against the American usage of English and the terms that are common there, but I'm British and that's how we say it. I felt that one change, in a way, spoilt the whole story.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth
I really don't mind punctuation being corrected as well as typos etc, but I had a Moderator change "take away" to "take out". It must have been an American Moderator who changed it. I was really annoyed. They both mean the same thing, so I thought it was a pretty petty change. I have nothing against the American usage of English and the terms that are common there, but I'm British and that's how we say it. I felt that one change, in a way, spoilt the whole story.

A mod changed "travelling" to "traveling" in one of my stories. It bugs me still.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

A mod changed "travelling" to "traveling" in one of my stories. It bugs me still.

The spell check is American. I blame that ;-)
Lurker
0 likes
You could think of having an editor as similar to being in a relationship. Some people may be perfectly great people but they are not right for you and you are not right for them. It seems like this particular editor was not right for you. There is an editor out there who you will get along with perfectly...keep looking smile

EDIT: note to self...check original date of thread before posting. Gah
Lurker
0 likes
I had a story declined because the person that read it didn't like the title. I'm not bsing you. I had one Editors not give me any reason for why the story was declined. But said they liked the story and would like to read other stories of mine. And his name-o was B-u-z-z. I in so many words told Buzz he would not be able to write like me no matter how of my stories he read. I've had some some odd experiences with trying to post things. I told my dad about that and he urged me to stop giving away stories for free. I took his advice.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This thread leaves me scratching my head. Although I have five stories posted at Lush Stories, and another currently awaiting verification, I am very much a 'newbie' here. I have been a member for less than one month and am very confused by what has been said here.

At least three different terms have been used for someone who might review a story: editor, moderator and verifier. My understanding of these terms is as follows: (These are related to on-line story submission at Lush Stories. Stories submitted for traditional publishing, ePublishing, or other story sites, would likely go through a different process.)

An editor is someone you ask to review your story before its submission. This would be someone of the author's own choosing who would be expected to correct spelling and grammar. In some case they might also be expected to improve the readability.

A moderator is someone who follows forum threads or chat sessions to ascertain that participants post or chat according to established rules. They have no function in the submission, review or posting of a story.

A verifier is someone who reviews a story that has been formally submitted to the site, and either accepts it, (as written), for posting, rejects it with a commentary as to what needs to be changed before resubmission, or rejects it without the possibility for resubmission. This person never makes a change, (punctuation, spelling or otherwise), to the submission itself, but only points out those things he or she sees as unacceptable.

Depending upon their qualifications, as well as authority granted by the site operators, a single individual might perform more than one of these functions, but not at the same time.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by TraceEkies
This thread leaves me scratching my head. Although I have five stories posted at Lush Stories, and another currently awaiting verification, I am very much a 'newbie' here. I have been a member for less than one month and am very confused by what has been said here.

At least three different terms have been used for someone who might review a story: editor, moderator and verifier. My understanding of these terms is as follows: (These are related to on-line story submission at Lush Stories. Stories submitted for traditional publishing, ePublishing, or other story sites, would likely go through a different process.)

An editor is someone you ask to review your story before its submission. This would be someone of the author's own choosing who would be expected to correct spelling and grammar. In some case they might also be expected to improve the readability.

A moderator is someone who follows forum threads or chat sessions to ascertain that participants post or chat according to established rules. They have no function in the submission, review or posting of a story.

A verifier is someone who reviews a story that has been formally submitted to the site, and either accepts it, (as written), for posting, rejects it with a commentary as to what needs to be changed before resubmission, or rejects it without the possibility for resubmission. This person never makes a change, (punctuation, spelling or otherwise), to the submission itself, but only points out those things he or she sees as unacceptable.

Depending upon their qualifications, as well as authority granted by the site operators, a single individual might perform more than one of these functions, but not at the same time.

Am I understanding this correctly?

As Story Verifiers on Lush, we serve a dual purpose. As such, we are more akin to moderators by your definition, and indeed, the site gives us the title of Moderator. This is identifiable by the badge on our profile page.

Our primary duty, as set out by the site owner, is to verify that any story published meets our guidelines regarding content and to insure it meets our quality standards.

To do that, we are able to make minor edits to ensure that such things as spelling, punctuation and grammar are at an acceptable level of accuracy. A few minor mistakes may get past. More than that but not thoroughly woven into the work MIGHT be corrected at the judgment of the moderator. Serious issues regarding these three things will mean the work is returned.

What we do not do is make real changes to the writing or construction of the piece. We do not conduct deep edits unless the writer is aware of the assistance. Even then, it's not something we are required to do. I have, at times made deep and significant edits to stories that have been returned several times, but not before discussion with the writer. 99% of the time, we will either make small changes or just send it back.

We discuss our methods and requirements constantly and report to our team when we are having difficulty or need advice. After more than two years at this, I have seen writers complain or object to many things, but I haven't seen anyone complain with cause over changes made to their story.

If there is a violation of guidelines, the story is returned with an explanation. We do not change the nature or content of a story at any time. That is not our mission. Our goal is simply ensure that stories posted are of a high quality and that they do not contain unacceptable content.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman

As Story Verifiers on Lush, we serve a dual purpose. As such, we are more akin to moderators by your definition, and indeed, the site gives us the title of Moderator. This is identifiable by the badge on our profile page.

Our primary duty, as set out by the site owner, is to verify that any story published meets our guidelines regarding content and to insure it meets our quality standards.

To do that, we are able to make minor edits to ensure that such things as spelling, punctuation and grammar are at an acceptable level of accuracy. A few minor mistakes may get past. More than that but not thoroughly woven into the work MIGHT be corrected at the judgment of the moderator. Serious issues regarding these three things will mean the work is returned.

What we do not do is make real changes to the writing or construction of the piece. We do not conduct deep edits unless the writer is aware of the assistance. Even then, it's not something we are required to do. I have, at times made deep and significant edits to stories that have been returned several times, but not before discussion with the writer. 99% of the time, we will either make small changes or just send it back.

We discuss our methods and requirements constantly and report to our team when we are having difficulty or need advice. After more than two years at this, I have seen writers complain or object to many things, but I haven't seen anyone complain with cause over changes made to their story.

If there is a violation of guidelines, the story is returned with an explanation. We do not change the nature or content of a story at any time. That is not our mission. Our goal is simply ensure that stories posted are of a high quality and that they do not contain unacceptable content.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by vines
I had a story declined because the person that read it didn't like the title. I'm not bsing you. I had one Editors not give me any reason for why the story was declined. But said they liked the story and would like to read other stories of mine. And his name-o was B-u-z-z. I in so many words told Buzz he would not be able to write like me no matter how of my stories he read. I've had some some odd experiences with trying to post things. I told my dad about that and he urged me to stop giving away stories for free. I took his advice.

If a mod returned a story to you and their only issue was the title, then it would have been something that either broke our guidelines or was grossly inappropriate. It also would have been explained to you in the rejection.
The particular mod you are referring to is a wonderful writer, and a recipient of multiple EP awards. I'm quite sure he considers the fact that he doesn't write like you to be a blessing.

Your delusions of grandeur are comic gold to read, but how about leaving other authors out of it?