Moving Your Home

last reply
26 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Does anyone take more than a month to box up their home??
How long did it take you to box up your life the last time you moved?
How many boxes?
How long did the physical move of furniture and boxes take you?
What seems to always break enroute to the new location?

(I am refraining to asking about unboxing!!)

I had a roommate move out in November - his boxes.
My daughter moved out the first of January - her boxes.
Now ... my boxes! Ugggh!

Lurker
0 likes
Just put the crap in the truck ,, and DRIVE !!
Lurker
0 likes
We've moved I believe, 5x in the past year.
The first one was a big one that we had professionals do most of the boxing. I boxed up personal things that either I didn't want them to handle or that they couldn't handle. I did about 50 boxes and the movers said everything else was a bit over 8000 pounds. Around 8500 maybe. It took them a day to do it all and there was 3 men doing it. Couldn't say how many boxes but it was way over a two hundred pieces with the funiture.
I put a all of the mover things in storage. And in the meantime, bought things to make up for what was in storage that I thought I needed. Another dining room table, dishes, etc. So then I had that to box up for the next 4 moves and I suppose we had around 100 boxes from that. Took about a month with the two of us doing it, maybe more.
The final one was back to where we started in the beginning and we did that ourselves. With a 26 or 28 foot U-Haul truck, and a 13/15 foot truck towing our car on a flat bed tower thingy behind.
Lurker
0 likes
whew ... thanks Kathleen! thought it was just me!

and sorry about how BIG that pic is .... didn't realize it!!
kind of like how I didn't realize that we have enough stuff for over 100 boxes ... sigh
Lurker
0 likes
From South Africa to here we needed about 2 containers, but for me moving into residence, Im taking as little as possiblesmile
Lurker
0 likes
Now you're scaring me for when I move this winter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i'm moving the end of next month. I'm going to try and throw/ebay out as much as i can. Can't believe the amount of useless crap we accumulate over the years. Minimalism is definitely the way forward!
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
MOVE, is a four-letter word.

Rumple Foreskin
RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would say a month is not too bad, we boxed most everything ourselves and a moving company they sent 4 guys and a huge semi truck, it went really smooth. Unpacking... that takes a while for some of the boxes anyway...
Algol
Lurker
0 likes
Lets hope the moves go easier than this.
Lurker
0 likes
I think I know that dude, Shameless....

I'm moving too, next week...but I think I've got it light compared to Van Gogh and Refrigerator dude, here.
Lurker
0 likes
We move anything.

Lurker
0 likes
Whoa !! ,, Not Good ...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
whew ... thanks Kathleen! thought it was just me!

and sorry about how BIG that pic is .... didn't realize it!!
kind of like how I didn't realize that we have enough stuff for over 100 boxes ... sigh

You really don't realize how much "junk" you have until you get started. I did a lot of throwing out and giving away. A neighbor suggested a yard sale and I almost hit him. I mean, who has the time? Plus I'm not fond of them anyway.
It's a very stressful time as well. I suggest a nice glass of wine with dinner in the evenings that your at it. Even if it's with the Colonel.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Early last spring, the woman I used to spend a great deal of time with - I hesitate labeling her as my girlfriend, for other reasons...decided that she needed a new house.

She looked around for several weeks, but ultimately she wanted to stay in her neighborhood of the last 26 years.

Her house, her second one in the area - which she'd purchased outright and lived in - alone - since 1991, had been on the local market since summer 2007 and while it was appraised rather high in 2005 and again in 2007, she wasn't getting many lookers. I'd blame it on the economy. A 2600 square foot, fully furnished, two story Cape Cod, it was in immaculate shape as she's never had children and only two well behaved cats. Never a live-in boyfriend and it had seen many parties in the 90's but none in many years. Huge manicured front and back yard, half a dozen HUGE hardwood trees all around the house, no branches above the roof. Appraised at $480k - asking price set at $420k - no bites.

After I discussed her options with her, which were making home improvements to her current residence, she decided that was what she wanted to do. I bowed out of the conversation with her towards what she wished to do to her home, unless she decided she wanted my input or just wanted to tell someone (me).

After another few months, having settled on a contractor to do the work - she told me around the fourth of July that she would be moving out of her house by the 2nd week of August, as that was when her contractor would be able to start on her house.

It was to be a complete home makeover, and he required her to move her entire possessions OUT, so that he wouldn't have to work around her and she wouldn't have to tolerate him and his four man work crew - for days/weeks/months - however long.

I learned that she was going to drop nearly 230k usd into the remodel. Which, even if she were to build brand new out in my neighborhood - or most anywhere else in our area, would certainly (in today's times) put a very nice home in the ground with a fully finished basement to boot.

As the next few weeks rolled on, I noticed she wasn't packing her possessions. I was grilling one afternoon on her patio when I inquired: "Honey, are you going to do any packing yourself or - do you have movers, and have you found a new rental to move to..?" Just normal conversation which we'd never discussed since the first of July.

"I'm having a moving company do the whole thing for me. It's only $14,000 to move me across town to my new townhome - Haven't I told you about my new place yet?"

Having had a bad experience once with a moving company to remain nameless and after witnessing several friends and acquaintances who also have endured horrid experiences with the corporations who could give a fuck about family heirlooms or anything else they picked up and moved, I convinced her to allow me to help her pack her stuff up ourselves, which would also save her - only a couple thousand bucks.

I've moved myself, half a dozen times over the last 30 years, and a few previous girlfriends and helped several friends pack and move, so I'm not without some experience.

The evening of July 31st I had planned to obtain the necessary boxes and packing tape, blades, stuffing materials etc...My folks and I and other friends save our newspapers for recycling so I had a shitload of newspaper to use also.

The local U-Haul store sold us 60 large, 40 medium, 70 small boxes in bundled reams of 10 per. I purchased four rolls of strong tape, two tape guns and three box knives, and brought tools over to remove screws, hooks, any furniture items (mirrors, etc) which needed to be dismantled.

I came loaded for bear.

I should mention that my friend who is a woman, had never done any manual labor - herself. Ever. Zilch. Manual labor for her, is applying her daily makeup/face. She doesn't even do her own nails. Gardening? Something else she paid to have done around her house. Anyway...

As I got further into the effort, working every night from 6pm til well after midnight, I slowly filled her two car garage with stacks of well cushioned boxes many times to a height of - way over my head, and I can nearly reach eight foot in the air. The garage has a 14' ceiling. It was stuffed with boxes, and other boxes were starting to accrue in the living room, dining room and downstairs hallway.

The 'essentials' were not packed - those clothes to wear and utensils to use in the kitchen. In fact, I hadn't even gotten to 75% of her clothing yet and I'd convinced her to let me pack her 160 shoe boxes, together, into as many of the medium sized boxes as she could purchase.

Eventually the tally was 90 large, 100 medium, and 120 small. All but about six of those boxes were used to pack stuff in, the rest of them served as packing material-in-a-pinch.

And, 36 full sized garment boxes - those garment boxes weren't packed until the day before and the day of - the actual move. The crew showed up with an extra long trailer, I think it was nearly 70 foot long? It was the biggest moving van I've seen allowed on American roads. And it was fully packed (with stuff still left in the house in boxes) which I had to move myself in my pickup truck and her soccer-mommy-van totaling another 6 trips between us.

The temps were much like what our friends in Australia are now enduring. In the low 90's F for all the two weeks I was helping her out. I lost 10 pounds and firmed up my arms, torso and thighs, tremendously. I also felt like a beat-to-the-ground 49 yr old man every morning when I crawled into bed next to her at 1...2...3 am.

I've never packed so much shit in my life. Certainly not in 15 days. I'm a contractor, so there were a few normal 'work days' there when I didn't work at my job, but did at her house.

And to think...I discovered LushStories.com in June...I couldn't even come to visit again til the third week of August, after I started The Move From Hell.

She moved into a 3000 square foot rental townhouse, 25 miles away. Her house is still in remodel, it's about 75% complete, and it doesn't look much like what I remembered it looking like - on the inside - or from outside in her backyard. From the front yard...there's been a minor change to her roofline, to the South. But it is still a nice looking - non-gaudy curbside view.

Her home is enlarged by another 1500 square feet and her basement is now totally fixed up and finished, with a walkout/walkup entrance. It looks great, with an additional modern and very large master bathroom - off the master bedroom, another large bedroom (which will become her new upstairs den, a downstairs bedroom - giving the home 5 bedrooms/offices...three full baths to go with the large half bath off the downstairs kitchen (which was also enlarged with its cubbyhole dining nook extended OUT. And there is now a roomy western enclosed patio, to match the existing screened in patio off the South of the residence.

Rather large for one 51 year old woman with one 10 year old Persian cat. But it now matches the house just to the South of her, where her 93 yr old widow friend has lived for the last 45 years, too.

She may well have to get another friend who is a male, to help her move her shit back to the residence once it's complete and ready to accept her stuff.

I love her, but not that fucking much.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Not very bright when it comes to money either if she was going to pay a moving company 14k to move 25 miles.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Heh, some people - if they have never worked a day in their lives - have no concept of the value of a buck, Chef. My ladyfriend is one of those people, as is her mother and younger sister.

The father of that clan, amassed a small fortune, with three brothers, his father, an uncle and two cousins, all of them building a large regional trucking company servicing the interior US states, from the early 40's through the late 80's.

It's been interesting to me, watching the decisions which involve large sums of money - and that family, over the last 2 and half years. At first I was baffled. Now I'm merely amused.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank god!!! I now consider myself "easy" - with moving, that is!!

WMM .... you made me feel SOOOOOO MUCH better - and the only sexy word in your reply was "fuck" ....

thanks!!!

Van
Lurker
0 likes
All Done!

Total 86 boxes

So far, nothing broken (but I haven't opened up my crystal yet!)

Total hours to move: 4.5
Total km from old place to new place: 6.3 km
Rolls of bubble wrap: 2
Rolls of saran wrap to wrap furniture: less than one
Anything missing? Yes!! Screws to my bedframe (who put it in their pocket and forgot to give them to me??) And - can't find my jacket that has my passes for work in them! grrrr

How long to unbox??? ........... working on it

So Rocco ... let us know your stats when you move later on in the year!

Cheers (and taking some Motrin for the muscle aches)

Van
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The easiest solution is to move transatlantically ha.
I've done it twice now and depending where my new job will be I'll move again where ever.

When I moved to the US I packed 1 suitcase, 1 sportsbag and 1 laptop bag. That's it.
When I left the US and came back to the NL I threw away a lot, sold a lot and gave a lot to friends. All I shipped back was work documents, CDs/DVDs, books. Total of 6 boxes which costed me close to $1800 or so to ship. Then upon arrival in the NL they were locked away until I could show proof of actually living here again haha.
I'm afraid of unpacking most of the boxes since I'm sure there's plenty damage to my stuff.

Moving fucking sucks but I do try to move as light as possible and just buy new shit when I move to a new place. Ikea makes my world a better one.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
All Done!

Total 86 boxes

So far, nothing broken (but I haven't opened up my crystal yet!)

Total hours to move: 4.5
Total km from old place to new place: 6.3 km
Rolls of bubble wrap: 2
Rolls of saran wrap to wrap furniture: less than one
Anything missing? Yes!! Screws to my bedframe (who put it in their pocket and forgot to give them to me??) And - can't find my jacket that has my passes for work in them! grrrr

How long to unbox??? ........... working on it

So Rocco ... let us know your stats when you move later on in the year!

Cheers (and taking some Motrin for the muscle aches)

Van

Congrats Hon! It's all over! Take your time unpacking. Bed first. Towels, dishes, pots and pans. The rest can go as fast or as slow as you wish.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Guest
Does anyone take more than a month to box up their home??
How long did it take you to box up your life the last time you moved?
How many boxes?
How long did the physical move of furniture and boxes take you?
What seems to always break enroute to the new location?

(I am refraining to asking about unboxing!!)

I had a roommate move out in November - his boxes.
My daughter moved out the first of January - her boxes.
Now ... my boxes! Ugggh!

I lived with a army brat that was use to moving every 2 years. she could pack up a 3 bedroom house in 2 days
Lurker
0 likes
The last move I made was from Missouri to Alaska. It was crazy, we packed for 3 weeks, loaded the truck and drove for 7 days to get there.
I love living here, it was worth the headache
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When my wife and I first started out, we moved a lot. We got it down to a science and could move all of our things in a day if we rented a Uhaul (two or three if we used my own truck) Moving that much is a sure way to keep your belongings from getting too much - hoarders aren't movers!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It depends on the situation and there are many factors, particularly when it comes to how much stuff we are talking and how far of a move it will be, but I would say that it takes me, on average, two weeks to box up and remove all of my stuff. I've done it in as quickly as just a few days and most recently it took me an entire month (although that was A LOT of stuff and I was super busy for most of the time).

Over the last eleven years I've lived in four states and three timezones across a good dozen-plus moves (most of them in college), always doing it myself. That being said, I'm terrible and not organized about it at all so a more efficient person could easily beat my two week average, assuming that they had the free time to just focus on boxing things up and transporting them.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?