last reply
16 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi there.

I got two sisters and their relationship with my mother has always been nice and out of love. (most of the times, I guess) But I hear many times that sometimes when the mother is young, when the daughter reaches puberty, they start compiting for the attention of males, like they both want to the the queen of the castle, like if the mother was jelous of the daughter, and the daughter wanted to challenge her mother's authority. All this on an unconscious level, of course.

Most people say daughters love more their fathers, and sons love more their mothers, hence the expressions "mama's boy" and "daddy's girl".

So I wonder, to what extent is this mother-daughter rivalry stereotype true? Has anyone witnessed/suffered it in real life?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Hmm... I can say that I personally have never felt "in competition" with my mom per se.

I grew up in a single parent household though and my mom has been "single" since I was around 5 yrs old, so I have watched her dating quite a lot over the years and having various lovers etc.

I did notice that she started dressing a lot younger for her age, especially when I lived with her during my teen years. Sometimes she would borrow my clothes. Always thought this was a bit strange. And yes, occasionally it was quite annoying.

I didn't feel competitive, but she may have (since she was still 'single and ready to mingle'). I think she liked hanging out with me and my friends a little too much sometimes... like she was one of the girls.

But overall, I'm proud of her MILF status...LOL... Goooo Mom!
Lurker
0 likes
That's cool, DD, you sound as a very good daughter. Anyway, if your mom has such beautiful eyes as yours I am sure she must be quite a heartbreaker.

I got a very close and loved friend. She was mother at a very young age, her daughter is 5 years old now. My friend is very coquette and femenine, quite a flirt, and sometimes I think she will have that kind of problems with her daughter in a few years, it's just something I think in private, I wouldnt ever tell her anything about it, it's her daughter afterall, I am sure she loves her madly,and perhaps I am just a bit paranoid cos I really appreciate her, and I dont want her to suffer.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I loved my mother more than my father simply because she was there for us when my father wasn't. The only competition I ever felt with her was how I'd ever be as good an equestrian as she was! It was my sister I was always in competition with.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My mother and I have a completely different taste in men. Like, once we saw a pair of identical twins, and we each fancied a different brother. She likes dark brunets and has a thing for Asians, I'm into blue-eyed Scandinavian blonds. So there would never be any competing for a guy. Plus, I know my mom would never started an affair with my boyfriend, just because it's my boyfriend, and I wouldn't start one with hers. No matter what the attraction, just no. There is something called morals and loyalty, and a dick is never more than your family. Otherwise, I'm glad that men give my mom attention, because she's my mom and she's hot as hell and very intelligent and deserves it all, and I'm sure she feels the same about me. She's not my competition, she's my ally.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The only time I felt jealousy come from my mother was when I was losing weight. Other then that not much else.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There has never been competition between our girls and me.

However, when they were younger they did bring a lot of guys and gals to the house on a regular basis.

Things did get out of hand more than once.

But not jealousy.
Lurker
0 likes
My mother was always jealous of my sister and I. I was always beautiful, gorgeous, sweet kind and loving. She also pretty much beat up on us and took all of our money that we made (from our own jobs) and we worked our asses off for free for her. She was getting paid for a job and we kids had to do it w/out question or complaint.

My mother is a monster however and that's that.

We were never in competition with anyone. We were simply trying to stay alive despite her many abuses and neglect.

She belongs in prison.
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE
My mother was always jealous of my sister and I. I was always beautiful, gorgeous, sweet kind and loving. She also pretty much beat up on us and took all of our money that we made (from our own jobs) and we worked our asses off for free for her. She was getting paid for a job and we kids had to do it w/out question or complaint.

My mother is a monster however and that's that.

We were never in competition with anyone. We were simply trying to stay alive despite her many abuses and neglect.

She belongs in prison.

I'm so sorry. I hope she no longer has any influence anywhere. I don't have the words.
0 likes
My mother and I were never competitive.

She wasn't a MILF-type. She mothered my boyfriends. If any of them ever had a crush on her, they kept it from me.

She helped me with clothes shopping and with self-esteem in high school and college. Every time I left the house, she always asked, "Do you have on deodorant, perfume, and lipstick?" It was kind of a BFF thing, but she never lost her authority as my mother.

Dad was the same. He was very devoted to my mom, and that came through. I can't remember having a crush on him, so maybe that was an obstacle some mothers-daughters deal with that I didn't have to.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

I'm so sorry. I hope she no longer has any influence anywhere. I don't have the words.

Thanks. If anyone wonders why I am the way that I am, it's because I was abused in some way almost every day until I was 16. (and a half)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not sure if it was jealousy or embarrassment. When they were still at home, my daughters had a bad habit of borrowing my hair dryer and never putting it back, so I started waiting until they had a boyfriend visiting, then washed my hair, and went downstairs wearing just a towel, asking them where the hair-dryer was. The boys usually seemed to appreciate the view, especially as the towel was just big enough to cover the essentials and not much else. It cured them of not replacing the dryer though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by marie5555
Not sure if it was jealousy or embarrassment. When they were still at home, my daughters had a bad habit of borrowing my hair dryer and never putting it back, so I started waiting until they had a boyfriend visiting, then washed my hair, and went downstairs wearing just a towel, asking them where the hair-dryer was. The boys usually seemed to appreciate the view, especially as the towel was just big enough to cover the essentials and not much else. It cured them of not replacing the dryer though.

Marie:

You obviously had the body to pull this off and gave you girls some education.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is 14 years between my age and my (natural) mother. There was friction all my life until she bundled me off to boarding school after finding me with one of her boyfriends. I rarely saw or heard from her again.
Convict
0 likes
I don't have any personal experience with this kind of thing but the way I see it, it's the mothers who need to grow the hell up. I know women don't cease to be sexual beings just because their daughters hit puberty but to have a feeling of jealousy or rivalry towards your daughter is inappropriate in my mind .
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
nah. which is surprising considering that my mom and i aren't too far apart in age. i grew up watching my guy friends and other males crush on her. i just wanted to emulate her. she did a wonderful job of insuring me that i'd blossom into my own type of beauty. i'm still grateful.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do wonder and my daughter is 15 and dates guys a little older and they stare at me. She is gorgeous though, I hope she never feels jealous as she has no reason to.