Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are you a soccer fan? Options · View
1curiouscat
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:54:31 AM

Guille wrote:
Boca juniors mumbo jumbo

(fingers crossed we'll get past the in-form & high flying La U de Chile)

I agree that Neymar is still very young. I never said he was the best in the world though. There is no way of knowing untill the official FIFA vote and untill he wins something big. Untill he wins a world cup or a libertadores (which messi has never done btw) or a champions league he will never be crowned Best player in the world. I will give you that.

re: La bombonera, you are totally correct, I have been and watched Boca Juniors loose to Velez Sarsfield about four years ago. However, it trully impressed me. The visual when the Boca team first comes on to the pitch is amazing, all of the noise and the papers flying up and down... and the crowd did not stop for one second. True fans.

Now to the most important part. This wed, we have a Santos vs Corinthians for the first leg of the Semifinal... Although I have been speaking of Neymar, he is not my favorite player and as a Cortinthiano - I wish him and Santos nothing but bad luck. It wont be an easy game for either team - but It will be exciting.

Boca has a tough task ahead as well... La U. is not an easy opponent and we must agree that the boca team relies fully on a good day from its magical #10 - Riquelme. (god i hate that guy - lol) If he decides to play, then they will win. If he has a bad day, La U. will win... I think its simple as that.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
1curiouscat
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:56:13 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
Schevchenko

This guys is the man! When he played with Kaka in Milan, he was absolutely instopable, to bad he decided to take it slowly and focus only on his national team... What game a game agaisnt sweeden! he deserves this.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:34:33 AM

yes i am a soccer fan. but here in england we call it football because unlike american football we actually use our feet to play.

anyway i am a tottenham fan.
Go Harry
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:30:55 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

If they leave the field, who wins? the Nazis or the players and the rest of the world?

It takes the public as a whole to not be a bunch of pussies and stand up to a group of ten skin heads and get them tossed or fuck them up.

If their whole purpose is to support their team, then their purposes gets defeated by taking their racist Nazi act public. I can't imagine this would happen more than twice before external pressure brought an end to it. As much as many of you guys and girls care about your team, can you imagine if your team didn't even get a shot because 200 idiots decided to turn the clock back to 1943? The pressure and exposure of those people would be enormous. And it would work.

It's not up to the other fans in the stands to be macho and fight them. If anything, I'm wondering why stadium security/police doesn't already clean house at the first offensive utterance, be it club or international play. Why do they look the other way?
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:38:59 PM

LadyX wrote:

If their whole purpose is to support their team, then their purposes gets defeated by taking their racist Nazi act public. I can't imagine this would happen more than twice before external pressure brought an end to it. As much as many of you guys and girls care about your team, can you imagine if your team didn't even get a shot because 200 idiots decided to turn the clock back to 1943? The pressure and exposure of those people would be enormous. And it would work.

It's not up to the other fans in the stands to be macho and fight them. If anything, I'm wondering why stadium security/police doesn't already clean house at the first offensive utterance, be it club or international play. Why do they look the other way?

How do you expect them to pinpoint which guy said it? Or pick and choose exactly who joined in on the monkey chants? They can't.

Look... Go to a sporting event in America (sans rodeo) and yell out the word "nigger" at a player and watch how fast you get beat the fuck up... And if not beat up, watch how fast the public shuts you down.

My rodeo joke just made me think that maybe the public for certain clubs don't care. Easy enough. Black, hispanic, asian etc, players shouldn't play for the club... THEN we'll see who's laughing.

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:41:23 PM

sholomrabin wrote:
yes i am a soccer fan. but here in england we call it football because unlike american football we actually use our feet to play.

anyway i am a tottenham fan.
Go Harry

We call cricket baseball. Or Manly cricket.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:45:01 PM

They have cameras. These "ultra" asshats yell shit in unison and do Nazi salutes. Even if some other fans think it's ok, stadium security and law enforcement should never let it slide. Especially on a national stage. You picked up on the main point, which is that a mix of confrontation avoidance (totally defensible) and indifference (not nearly as defensible) conspire to let this continue. The police should police, since the crowd doesn't. Or just forfeit the games until it's mostly gone. This isn't just one or two guys. If it was, it wouldnt be an issue.
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:45:33 PM

1curiouscat wrote:

This guys is the man! When he played with Kaka in Milan, he was absolutely instopable, to bad he decided to take it slowly and focus only on his national team... What game a game agaisnt sweeden! he deserves this.

He played for chelsea after milan, I have his jersey... And now Dynamo Kiev (also a great team). He's 35. That is hella old for a striker, especially these clubs.

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:54:44 PM

LadyX wrote:
They have cameras. These "ultra" asshats yell shit in unison and do Nazi salutes. Even if some other fans think it's ok, stadium security and law enforcement should never let it slide. Especially on a national stage. You picked up on the main point, which is that a mix of confrontation avoidance (totally defensible) and indifference (not nearly as defensible) conspire to let this continue. The police should police, since the crowd doesn't. Or just forfeit the games until it's mostly gone. This isn't just one or two guys. If it was, it wouldnt be an issue.

Not all ultras are racist... Ultras are just groups of fans that have drums, and flares and flags and all of that shit. With cheers and all of that.

Firms are hooligans. Those can be racist.

Another thing the public can do is just not go. Pretty soon the stadium will be empty except 100 skin heads... Money is the great motivator.

Edit: I also doubt the security in some eastern european countries is on par with the rest of europe or the united states.

1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:56:15 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
He played for chelsea after milan, I have his jersey... And now Dynamo Kiev (also a great team). He's 35. That is hella old for a striker, especially these clubs.

When he went to chelsea he had no more motivation, he had many family problems thusly deciding to move back "home". He is old and this probably his last Euro. So I´m glad he got some media attention, because he surely did some really great things when he played in Milan.

It would be great to see him in the MLS - he would score left and right probably.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:14:32 AM

@ LX , MF

You both make good points with this problem. However its a dificult situation in some cases mainly because of the weight these groups of fans can have in the power structure that governs the game inside each´s respective country.

On the national stage, I agree that FIFA should lead the charge to eradicate all forms os anti-social demonstration and action. If the host country cannot control what happens or protect the tourists in the region then they should be banned from hosting ever again. simple.

The countries in eastern Europe have less control over the football associations when compared to English Football Association for example. In England, they have very succesfully installed a system to prevent these pokets of assclowns from participating. The police depts. and the F.A. have worked together to profile all of the so-called trouble makers. They are very strict in enforcing these rules mainly because of the hooligan tradition in England. If you are, were arrested because of any kind of trouble in a football match, you will be tried and could have a lifetime ban from the game. Depending on the severity of your infraction, the "fans" have to report into the assigned police station to be locked up a few hours before, during and after the match. It works somewhat like probation in the states, if they do not comply, they will be arrested a could serve jail sentences.

Here in Brasil, whenever there is a big game between two hated teams, there are a lot precautions taken. Firstly as a law, there is no alcohol sold inside stadiums. Secondly there are constant meetings between the police, governemnt, and the presidents of each organized fan clubs (ultras). This has reduced substanciatially the fighting - but it is still not 100% effective.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:03:59 PM

SEMI-FINALS FIRST LEG - COPA LIBERTADORES
Tonight - 9:45 Brasilia time

SANTOS vs CORINTHIANS

vs

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Spleen_Muse
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:21:00 PM

I like playing soccer! Used to play until 2 years ago.

Rarely watch it thou. Have no idea which players play on which team.
But if my friends are watching a game, I'm able to join and enjoy watching it.

Vacation with Teens
Guille
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:11:51 PM

COPA LIBERTADORES | SEMI-FINALS, FIRST LEG
Desde La Bombonera en La República de La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thursday, June 14th, 2012 at 20:45 Buenos Aires Time, 19:45 US Eastern Day Time

Club Atlético Boca Juniors vs. Club Universidad de Chile

vs.  

♪ ♫
Boca, mi buen amigo
esta campaña volveremo' a estar contigo
te alentaremos, de corazón
esta es tu hichada que te quiere ver campeón!
♬ ♩
No me importa lo que digan
lo que digan los demás
yo te sigo a todas partes,
cada vez te quiero más!
♫ ♪

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:53:46 AM

VAI CORINTHIANS - PORRA!!!!!

Corinthinas 1 x Santos 0 -- fuck yeah, away goal and all... next round 20 days aways

---

I´m hoping boca wins just so we brasilians can have a double flavor of WIN, when Corinthians wins the Copa Libertadores in Argentina! LOL
IT will be a great game for sure tonight!

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:37:57 AM

Magical_felix wrote:

We call cricket baseball. Or Manly cricket.

yeah we call baseball rounders.

same game but for little schoolgirls
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:15:47 AM

sholomrabin wrote:

yeah we call baseball rounders.

same game but for little schoolgirls

So the Brits did the same thing with baseball as Americans did with football? Call it something different? Or was baseball around over there first and was it the Americans that changed the name to baseball? Or this the same thing that people whine about... the fact that we call it soccer. You call baseball rounders, whats the difference?

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:18:28 AM

1curiouscat wrote:

When he went to chelsea he had no more motivation, he had many family problems thusly deciding to move back "home". He is old and this probably his last Euro. So I´m glad he got some media attention, because he surely did some really great things when he played in Milan.

It would be great to see him in the MLS - he would score left and right probably.

You said He focused on his national team after milan. That's not the case. Just saying...

Him going to MLS will be lame like Rafa Marquez, Thierry Henry and David Beckham.. They don't even try. MLS is like a glue factory where the old horses go to die. Its kinda sad.

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:47:16 AM

Magical_felix wrote:

You said He focused on his national team after milan. That's not the case. Just saying...

Him going to MLS will be lame like Rafa Marquez, Thierry Henry and David Beckham.. They don't even try. MLS is like a glue factory where the old horses go to die. Its kinda sad.

He def. did not do well in Chelsea and has not done too much over in Dinamo - he is close to home now.

And i dont see the MLS as a glue factory at all. It has consistently grown over the last 10 years... Ok that the players are older... but its still great that they went to the mls rather then to qatar or saudi arabia...

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:08:14 PM

1curiouscat wrote:

He def. did not do well in Chelsea and has not done too much over in Dinamo - he is close to home now.

And i dont see the MLS as a glue factory at all. It has consistently grown over the last 10 years... Ok that the players are older... but its still great that they went to the mls rather then to qatar or saudi arabia...

Yeah but that's not what you said first.. You made it sound like he quit playing club football to focus on a national team when that's not the case.

He was in his prime at Milan.. He was bought by Chelsea cause their billionaire owner wanted to put a team of superstars together like if it were a video game. Of course he didn't score as many goals... Chelsea had like 5 superstar strikers. And shevchenko was past his prime playing on a team that plays defensive.. He's a pure striker....

Kiev isnt the national team... It's in his home country yes.. But that doesnt mean he's not focusing on his club.. What are you taking about? I was correcting your misstatement. And also, he's 35... Of course he's not as good.

I miss talking soccer with the painter..

Where are you painter?

Buz
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:18:18 PM

Cricket sure as hell ain't baseball...

Hell those cricket dudes don't even chew tobacco!

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:22:52 PM

Buz wrote:
Cricket sure as hell ain't baseball...

Hell those cricket dudes don't even chew tobacco!

Didn't you hear what that dude said... It's rounders and it's only played by girls... But we are the dumb Americans calling football soccer. Even though they do the same thing with baseball...

Buz
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:24:53 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

How do you expect them to pinpoint which guy said it? Or pick and choose exactly who joined in on the monkey chants? They can't.

Look... Go to a sporting event in America (sans rodeo) and yell out the word "nigger" at a player and watch how fast you get beat the fuck up... And if not beat up, watch how fast the public shuts you down.

My rodeo joke just made me think that maybe the public for certain clubs don't care. Easy enough. Black, hispanic, asian etc, players shouldn't play for the club... THEN we'll see who's laughing.

No one yells that word at rodeos either or at least any I have been to. You are right the vast majority of folks won't stand for some hateful moron doing some shit like that. I'd sure want to get in a punch if someone did.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:28:20 PM

I thought rounders were poker players.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:31:57 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Didn't you hear what that dude said... It's rounders and it's only played by girls... But we are the dumb Americans calling football soccer. Even though they do the same thing with baseball...

I love my tackle football more than anything but I do respect the hell out of soccer, as we call it here. They have awesome athletes. But I'd say cricket with those bright white uniforms. no dirt or grass stains whatsoever, now maybe that's for little girls. Of course maybe little girls kick men's asses over there not saying that they do or anything but you know, I don't know that they don't! I bet they even sip tea during cricket matches.

Damn I need to get a fresh chew of tobacco and jug of 'shine.

LadyX said, "I thought rounders were poker players."

Me too!

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:57:19 PM

Buz wrote:

No one yells that word at rodeos either or at least any I have been to. You are right the vast majority of folks won't stand for some hateful moron doing some shit like that. I'd sure want to get in a punch if someone did.

Fuck yeah... Here in the United States the public will for sure shut a racist down.

The rodeo comment was a bad joke... I know Rodeo fans arnt racist. I go to rodeos all the time. I do apologize to rodeo fans.

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:57:28 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Yeah but that's not what you said first.. You made it sound like he quit playing club football to focus on a national team when that's not the case.

He was in his prime at Milan.. He was bought by Chelsea cause their billionaire owner wanted to put a team of superstars together like if it were a video game. Of course he didn't score as many goals... Chelsea had like 5 superstar strikers. And shevchenko was past his prime playing on a team that plays defensive.. He's a pure striker....

Kiev isnt the national team... It's in his home country yes.. But that doesnt mean he's not focusing on his club.. What are you taking about? I was correcting your misstatement. And also, he's 35... Of course he's not as good.

I miss talking soccer with the painter..

Where are you painter?

Im well aware that Dinamo is not the national team. I´m not sure if you are know this, but when players are sold between clubs from two diferent countries there is a contract fine to be paid. His pass had to be bought by Chelsea. As a part of this negociation, the player usually receive a hefty signing bonus that is usually around 10-20% of the fee paid by the buying club. 30,8 Million Pounds to be exact was the fine. So if we do the math, the got a signing bonus of 3-6 million plus his weekly salary of 120,000 Pounds added to the fact that the move to chelsea was not desired by him, he did not adapt very well and lost his motivation, it happens - look at Torres same thing is happening to him.

Shevchenko agreed to the transfer only because his wife pressured him to leave Milan. So he was not at ease. So much so that he eventually moved back to Milan on Loan to try something, even accepting to declined receiving the rest of his salary (so he basically played for free) so that he could try something again in Milan. In the end, he wasnt able to recover any kind of form and decided the easier way out which was moving back to Ukraine and finish out his carreer in the team where he started and playing for his national team.

And speaking about defensive football, have you ever watched Italian football - this is what they are know for... When he played in AC Milan with Kaka they were based on defense maldini, Nesta were the back bone of the team, Pirlo, abrosini and seedorf and gatuso are exactly the most offensive players int he world. he was a lone striker in a team built on counter attacks, that were lead by the speed of Kaka... did you even watch him play? The Calccio is a joke - apart from the top 3 teams (Inter, Juventus and Milan) the rest are crap. Its natural for a striker to score a lot.

Chelsea under Mourinho at the time of his contract was a team built on the same principle, which is why they decided to buy the player. He did not adapt to the game in england - faster, more dynamic, way more brutal then anywhere else.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:12:36 PM

1curiouscat wrote:

Im well aware that Dinamo is not the national team. I´m not sure if you are know this, but when players are sold between clubs from two diferent countries there is a contract fine to be paid. His pass had to be bought by Chelsea. As a part of this negociation, the player usually receive a hefty signing bonus that is usually around 10-20% of the fee paid by the buying club. 30,8 Million Pounds to be exact was the fine. So if we do the math, the got a signing bonus of 3-6 million plus his weekly salary of 120,000 Pounds added to the fact that the move to chelsea was not desired by him, he did not adapt very well and lost his motivation, it happens - look at Torres same thing is happening to him.

Shevchenko agreed to the transfer only because his wife pressured him to leave Milan. So he was not at ease. So much so that he eventually moved back to Milan on Loan to try something, even accepting to declined receiving the rest of his salary (so he basically played for free) so that he could try something again in Milan. In the end, he wasnt able to recover any kind of form and decided the easier way out which was moving back to Ukraine and finish out his carreer in the team where he started and playing for his national team.

And speaking about defensive football, have you ever watched Italian football - this is what they are know for... When he played in AC Milan with Kaka they were based on defense maldini, Nesta were the back bone of the team, Pirlo, abrosini and seedorf and gatuso are exactly the most offensive players int he world. he was a lone striker in a team built on counter attacks, that were lead by the speed of Kaka... did you even watch him play? The Calccio is a joke - apart from the top 3 teams (Inter, Juventus and Milan) the rest are crap. Its natural for a striker to score a lot.

Chelsea under Mourinho at the time of his contract was a team built on the same principle, which is why they decided to buy the player. He did not adapt to the game in england - faster, more dynamic, way more brutal then anywhere else.

He's always played for his national team... Always... Always a club and a national team (you said he didn't, all I said was that he has always played for a club and country, you made it sound like he quit to play for a national team exclusively)... If I were him I would go back to kiev too so I can play instead of riding the bench cause I'm the fourth striker behind young guys and guys in their prime.

kaka and ronaldino are pure offense. What players like that did chelsea have? Lampard? Of course a lone striker is what you would pick if you had play makers like that on either side and behind... Why would you put two strikers in? Inter and ac milan are the exception, those teams attack.. Seedorf is defensive? Scored a lot for a defensive player. Even pirlo attacks. Milan at that time was probably the most offensive team in serie A. I really hope youre not saying that milan is as defensive as chelsea...

Anyway all that other shit about if hes good or bad or old or not caring doesnt have anything to do with your statement. I posted picture of him cause he's a 35 year old scoring twice in a EURO to come back from 1-0 down to win the game. You said he focused on his national team. I said that wasn't true. You started in with trying to justify your mistake by then saying that well, his form dropped.. No one said he didnt.

Quote:
Im well aware that Dinamo is not the national team

Well thats where he's been playing... NOT just focusing on his national team... So I was wondering if you were confused.

MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:17:41 PM

Maybe we should start a thread about hot sexy rodeo cowboys. I love rodeo cowboys!

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:30:46 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Well thats where he's been playing... NOT just focusing on his national team... So I was wondering if you were confused.

I´ve come to the conclusion that we are pretty much saying the same thing... going back to the foto you posted... I´m glad he scored those two goals because it shows that he is not totally over. He needs to have more recognition for all that he has done in his career.

By saying he went is focusing on his national team - I meant that he is not going to get any kind of European Glory Dinamo Kiev, they just arent good enough. Maybe he will win some national trphies and championships... but overall this is his last time to shine on the European Stage... and im damn glad he did.

He used to be one of my favorite #9.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room