Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

The Cursed Castle, Chapter 1

"A medieval castle is cursed after a siege destroyed the castle and killed it's occupants."

17
11 Comments 11
4.3k Views 4.3k
3.7k words 3.7k words

David Simmons had always been fascinated with the Middle Ages time period. He loved everything about that time in history - the clothing, the culture, the castles. He could never learn enough about medieval Europe and their way of life. He became something of an expert as he learned more and more about that time period, devouring anything and everything he could find on the subject relating to it.

So when an opportunity came for him to travel to Europe and actually see first-hand some of the places he'd read and studied about, he jumped at the chance eagerly. He could hardly pack fast enough to prepare for his trip. He got as much reference material, maps, charts, and books as he could carry on the plane. When the day finally arrived for him to leave for Europe, he boarded the plane almost beside himself with excitement.

He settled in for what would be a very long flight. Because this trip was tied to a university tour, David had to fly coach - which meant a bare-bones flight in cramped, tight seating. But it didn't matter to him. His mind wasn't on the comforts of the trip, he was interested in the destination.

Leaving JFK International Airport, the first leg of his flight would take him to Paris, some eleven hours of flying time away. Then from Paris, he took another flight to reach Strasbourg on the eastern edge of France. From there he boarded a bus, which after an hour's drive through the countryside, took him to a small, quaint village called Haiterbogen on the edge of the famous Black Forest.

Haiterbogen would be just another small European village - one of the hundreds that dotted that region was it not for the famous "Verfluchte Burg" or Cursed Castle. This was what David had come to see. The Cursed Castle was the first stop on his trip and the one he was most excited to see for himself. He had read about the castle in several of the books and magazines and was eager for an "up close and personal" look at the famed ruins.

Because of the hour and the very long trip, he decided to overnight in the village and get a fresh start the next day when he was more rested and had more daylight to look around. He managed to secure a room in a small bed and breakfast establishment and exhausted, he turned in for the night.

The next morning as he enjoyed breakfast with the b&b's owner and manager Alfred, he asked about the castle and the legend behind the curse.

"Several hundred years ago the castle was a strong and bustling place. At the throne was King Augustus Breckenridge, a good and fair king, and the village that surrounded the castle was filled with happy, contented people. It was a good time for everyone and the castle and village prospered," Alfred explained in his heavily-accented broken English.

"Then one day a king, King Aktuelt, from a far northern country came through the area. He had just fought a battle with another castle over trade routes and he had been unsuccessful. Now defeated and demoralized, he and what was left of his army was returning home. He stopped here and asked if he and his men could stay a few days at the castle to rest and recover.

"However King Breckenridge knew of this King Aktuelt and knew why he had set out on this conquest. King Aktuelt was well-known as a bully and he and his men had run rampant - taking whatever they wanted and using force and coercion to get their way.

"King Breckenridge refused to house and feed his men and instead told them to move on. King Aktuelt was enraged and gathered his troops. He made a show like he was leaving, but instead circled around and set up siege on the castle."

David listened fascinated as Alfred continued with his unusual tale.

"But the castle was strong and King Breckenridge was defiant and didn't give up easily. Unfortunately, the siege was set up too quickly for him to secure a lot of supplies. King Aktuelt was well-versed in battle and although his army was smaller, they were well trained in military siege tactics.

"At first things were okay and it looked for a while like King Breckenridge might outlast the siege. But as time wore on, their food supplies began to dwindle to dangerous levels. King Breckenridge sent out a few riders to see if he could gather support and reinforcements from some of the neighboring castles but every one of his riders was caught and killed before reaching help.

"After a couple months of this siege, he knew he couldn't last much longer. He sent an emissary out to meet with King Aktuelt to discuss terms, but King Aktuelt, still angry that he'd been refused and had to resort to this siege, would not discuss terms. Instead, he sent the emissary back with a message for King Breckenridge.

'Sire, I was told to inform you that King Aktuelt will accept nothing less than your complete surrender. He wants you to give up your throne to him and for this castle and all the occupants and villagers to become his subjects. He wants you and all of us to vacate the castle so he can claim ownership of the castle and all the lands of our kingdom. Those are his terms milord,' the emissary said.

"King Aktuelt further said that if you do not agree to his demands, he will not stop until every one of our people has been killed. He said he will make you watch as he slaughters, first the villagers, then the castle inhabitants and finally your own beloved daughter, Princess Arabella before your eyes. Then and only then will he kill you and claim the castle as his.'

"Outrageous!" King Breckenridge bellowed. "This kingdom has been in my family for many generations. I will not allow some arrogant ruffian to intimidate me and take from me what is rightfully mine! And I will not subject the fine people of this kingdom to this man's abuse and persecution!"

"But poor King Breckenridge for all his goodness and wisdom was overcome by the siege and eventually the castle fell. And true to his words. King Akteult killed every man, woman, and child in the kingdom just as he had said - first King Breckenridge watched helplessly as his subjects were slaughtered in the most gruesome and horrific manner.

"Then all the castle caretakers and staff were similarly killed. Finally, his daughter poor Princess Arabella was killed in front of him. And once the king had lost all, he was put to death as well and the castle was sacked and burned.

"But what King Aktuelt didn't know was that King Breckenridge was very good friends with Merlin the Wizard and Merlin often came to stay in the castle on his journeys. So when Merlin passed by and saw the castle in smoldering ruins, he was so angry, he put a curse on King Aktuelt and on the castle itself.

"Now whenever anyone comes to see the castle and goes inside the castle walls, they are never heard from again. No one knows what happens to them but they are never seen again. Such is the curse of Castle Breckenridge."

David sat there for several moments. It was quite a story and he took some time to digest it all. He knew that legends and fantasy tales like this ran through this land like the rivers and streams that cut through the forest itself. And he had seen pictures of the castle in magazines so he knew the condition it was most likely in.

He set the legend aside and decided to go have a look himself. He wasn't sure about going inside, but he didn't come all this way to be swayed by the fanciful tales of the admittedly superstitious locals.

So after Alfred's wife, Freda, made him a very substantial sack lunch, David headed down the road to the castle.

Castle Breckenridge was about a mile and a half down a well worn and winding trail through the forest. When he had walked along the trail and gotten close to the castle, he noticed the treeline fell away and he was on the edge of a great clearing. The ground was overgrown with shrubbery but through it, he could see the tops of the castle towers and the wall battlements. 

He followed the trail further and came to a place where it was obvious many tourists and sightseers had stood taking pictures of the ruins. The castle drawbridge was down, although its condition was less than ideal. And he could see the huge main castle doors were ajar. The lure to have a closer look was too great.

He picked his way carefully along the rickety drawbridge until he crossed the other side of the old moat. The water in the moat seemed low, judging by how much of the edges were visible above the water, but at the bottom the water - if you could call it that - was a disgusting nasty yellowish brown color. He didn't want to even hazard a guess as to why it was that sickening color! 

Once safely across the dilapidated drawbridge, he walked around the outside of the castle. He looked through a couple of the arrow slits - the small narrow windows that the occupants could use to shoot arrows at the opposing force - but the disrepair of the castle interior made a good look through them difficult. So he went to the castle's main entrance. 

With Alfred's story and the legend of the curse still in his mind, he gingerly peeked into the castle's interior through the partially open great doors. But he still couldn't get a satisfactory look inside. He just had to get a better look!

He stepped just inside the doors, figuring that he would take just a quick peek around and if he didn't go all the way in...

But that was his mistake. As if by magic, the inside of the castle came to life. Where once there was only desolate destruction, rubble, and wreckage, now appeared a vibrant, busy, and prosperous castle bustling with activity. David looked around dumbfounded. He knew that only a second ago, he was alone in an abandoned ruin of a burned out castle, overgrown with weeds and shrubs.

It was as if he stepped back in time some 1,100 years to the days of feudal Europe. The people wore period dress, the buildings and furnishings were true to that time period, even the oxcarts and other things around the castle appeared authentic. It would have been novel had he gone to some tourist trap historic replication of a medieval castle. But he had not. 

Bewildered by all he saw, he reached up to his shirt pocket to pull out his small camera to take some pictures. But he noticed the camera was not in his pocket. Then he realized that his clothes had changed too! He was no longer wearing the jeans, plaid cotton shirt and sneakers he had put on this morning.

kimberlyWalker
Online Now!
Lush Cams
kimberlyWalker

He was now wearing the same period costume that the other castle "inhabitants" wore! His wristwatch, wallet, and baseball cap were gone as well. Everything he had that said 21st century had disappeared and he looked just like any of the others around him!

He stopped one of the men walking past him. "Excuse me. What year is this?"

"Why it is the Year of Our Lord 985, of course!"

985! Somehow he had been transported or made to believe that he went back in time 1,033 years!

"And who is the King of this castle?" David asked.

"Are you daft man? It's King Breckenridge!" the man said, walking away and looking at him as if he'd lost his mind. He stopped another of the castle men and whispered something to him. 

Word spread quickly about the strange man asking bizarre questions. One thing about castle life that David never realized - outsiders, especially outsiders asking ridiculous questions - stood out and were quickly noticed.

Before too long, four large, heavily armored men, two carrying halberds and two with regular swords, came up to him. "Are you the one asking what year it is and who the king is?" 

"Yes, I asked that man over there." David pointed to the man who just went about his business not wanting to get any more involved.

"Come with us," one of the men said and they began escorting David towards the castle keep, a tall, heavily fortified building in the center of the castle yard. The group went into the keep then climbed the stone staircase to the third floor where the King's throne room was situated.

One of the men knocked on the heavy wood door with the butt of his sword and the command "Enter" came a reply. The group entered the throne room and walked up to the King who was sitting on his throne expecting them. They knelt and David followed suit out of respect for the King.

"Is this the man asking about me?"

"Yes, my King. We found him down in the courtyard and he was pointed out to us."

"I see. Leave us," King Breckenridge said to the men. They all bowed and left the throne room, shutting the door behind them.

"Now then, who might you be and why have you come to my castle?"

"My name is David, King. David Simmons. I have come to Castle Breckenridge because I am interested in castles and medieval times."

"And where are you from David Simmons?"

"I live in Newark, New Jersey, King. In the United States." It was at that moment that he realized that King Breckenridge would have no idea where Newark, New Jersey is, or America for that matter since it wouldn't even be discovered for another 500 years!

"I have never heard of such a place. It must indeed be a far-off land!"

"It is your Highness - especially if one lives in the Middle Ages!"

"Indeed. Come closer, David." David moved closer as indicated. "Now I am going to tell you something and you are forbidden to speak of it to anyone else, do you understand? If you breathe a word of what I am about to tell you, you will be banished from the castle - which, after I tell you this, you will see is not something you want.

"You see, you are not the first person to come to Castle Breckenridge asking unusual questions. There have been others. A few. But when they leave the castle, they are never heard from again. They may come and go into the village beyond the gates of the castle, for that is still castle grounds.

"But once they leave the cleared lands and enter the surrounding forest, they simply vanish. We do not know what happens to them, some have promised to return. But none ever do. And no one in the surrounding village ever sees them either.

"What's more puzzling to us is that Merlin the Wizard, a very good friend of the castle, hasn't been around for many, many years. And that isn't like him. He usually came through at least two or three times a year. I fear he may have passed on... he wasn't a young man when last I saw him."

David was beginning to get a clearer picture of what the King and the castle subjects were aware of. They had no idea of what had happened to them. No clue about King Akteult, the siege, or its terrible outcome. They had no idea about the curse or anything past today. And "today" for them was 985 AD!  

David wisely decided to leave them in their ignorance. No need to tell them the story about a future they would obviously never see. Merlin's curse had actually become a blessing of sorts for the residents here... they would forever live in the good years of prosperity and happiness - the "Camelot" of Castle Breckenridge!

"Now that I have come to the castle Sire, what is to become of me?"

"Well, you have told me that you have a good knowledge of our way of life and you seem to be a decent person. You are welcome to stay here with us."

So David Simmons became a citizen of Castle Breckenridge and subject of the King. And had that been the end of the story, it would still have been a glorious adventure. But Fate had even more in store for David!

A few days after his arrival at the castle, David was busy working in the carpentry shop. He had always liked working with wood and building things and he knew that living in a castle environment, everyone had to work at something. There were no freeloaders in a castle - at least not for long!

He was busy working on repairing a set of dining room chairs for one of the villagers when a woman walked by carrying a flower trug full of fresh-cut roses. She was slim, about twenty years old he figured, with waist length brown hair held in a loose ponytail down the middle of her back by a silver hairpiece. She was very beautiful and he couldn't help but stare at her. She noticed his attention and smiled coyly as she walked on by.

"Don't even think about it... that's Princess Arabella, the King's daughter! She is way out of reach for the likes of you and me," one of the other senior carpenters commented.

"Yes, she is very beautiful. Probably the most beautiful woman in all the land. But that's all we are allowed to do is look from afar - the King is very protective of his only daughter and would not take kindly to anyone taking advances towards her!"

David realized that he was right. The Princess was royalty and he was just a simple peasant and a new member of the castle to boot. What chance would he have of gaining her attention?

He tried to put her out of his mind and focus on what he was doing. He had to get these chairs finished and he had more work waiting for him.

One of the peculiar things about life in the castle was that when you went to the Farmer's Market every week, they always had an abundance of food available. No matter what you bought, they never ran out of food.

This was curious to David because he knew that no one came in from outside the castle - David himself had seen that from the outside this castle was nothing but a pile of rubble, burned rotting timbers and shrubbery! Yet each week the vendor's carts and displays were filled nearly to overflowing!

In addition, the well in the center of the marketplace never went dry. It always had the same amount of sweet clean water in it no matter how hot a day it was or how many thirsty people and animals it served!

David came to learn that no one who lived there ever aged - no one was born and no one died. It was literally a castle trapped in time. And now that he was part of the castle, he too would never get older!

It was almost a week later when at the Farmer's Market, David was shopping for his weekly food supplies. There were several "modern" foods he missed - things like pizza, ice cream, and bananas - things that either hadn't been "discovered" yet or that castle life didn't have to ability to make. Even fresh milk was a once a week luxury, available only on Market Day unless you could barter for some fresh milk sometime during the week from one of the farmers.

David was shopping for vegetables and was in front of one of the vendors hawking their produce. He reached for a nice looking red pepper and just as he did another hand reached for the same pepper!

"Pardon m-" he said as he turned to see the owner of the hand. It was Princess Arabella!

"I'm sorry, Your Highness!" he said, immediately kneeling as was the custom.

"No please, it was my fault. Rise, good sir!"

David slowly rose to his feet and that's when he got a good look at the Princess. Princess Arabella was a slim twenty-year-old, roughly five-foot-five-inches tall, with fair skin as smooth as a baby's bottom, soft blue eyes, and long blonde hair she kept in a braid down the middle of her back to her tailbone.

"You are the one that everyone is talking about - the new one to our castle,"

"Yes, Your Highness."

"So what do they call you, sir?"

"Oh, I'm sorry... David Simmons, Your Highness. My name is David Simmons." 

"Well, it's nice to meet you, David Simmons." Then Princess Arabella looked at the table of peppers. "David, would you please pick out a good pepper for me? You seem to be able to pick the best peppers!" She gave him a little smile and he turned to pick out a good green pepper for her.

That was the beginning of their friendship. David Simmons, the newest member of the castle inhabitants and Princess Arabella, the King's daughter. An unlikely pair to be sure, and there were whispers and murmurings among the villagers, but because she was royalty the whisperings were never spoken except behind closed doors.

And it really didn't matter to either of them - they enjoyed each other's company. It started innocently, just saying hello and polite conversation in the town market and maybe helping her with her groceries.

But as time went by they got more and more acquainted and she began looking for him when she went out. There was something different and exciting about this stranger that she couldn't put her finger on... and she wanted to know more. Princess Arabella was intrigued by David and a curious woman is a powerful force!
 

 

 

 

Published 
Written by Master_Jonathan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments