Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Brimstone Series Book 2 - Episode 1

0
0 Comments 0
2.6k Views 2.6k
4.3k words 4.3k words

Chris

This morning was straight out of Satan’s asshole.

I woke up to a long, deep dent of red paint on the back bumper of my Escalade. Whoever hit and run me didn’t have the balls to leave a note, so I had to call insurance for about an hour, spending most of my time listening to some guy without chest hair complain about his grandma's cooking.

The fucking Knicks can’t win a game to save their lives right now. Carmelo Anthony has been dog shit for us; have they heard of something called defense?

Oh, and my third-biggest client, the online jeweler giant Michael Vandeross, has been poached by those snakes over at Dawson’s firm. Apparently, our associates haven’t been up to par, and I’ve been so busy handling Tyco’s Listeria class action that I delegated some of Michael’s work to them.

Associates whom our human resources manager hired.

As the captain of this ship in the sky, my job was to make sure that the fires were tempered and the right people were passing through the door. As Tyco began eating up all my time, my sister Jillian forcibly asked to me to find an HR manager to oversee the hiring instead.

The first one I fired two days in, the second didn’t last one morning, and the third isn’t staying much longer after this recent fuck-up.

‘I’m telling you Michael, we aren’t going to get blindsided like that again,’ I said evenly, pursing my lips. ‘We’ve had some shit associates slip through our ranks, that's all.’

‘And that isn’t my problem,’ he sighed. ‘Look Chris, you’ve been very consistent for me the past few years. We’ve done some good business together, but that has been the second screw-up in the past month. I’m sorry, I don’t have confidence in your dedication to me anymore.’

The associates were to blame for this latest fiasco, but the other time Michael was referring to, I was passed out drunk at Luke and Abigail engagement party.

Love and business don’t mix.

‘Give us another chance,’ I asked in the closest tone I knew to pleading. ‘Whatever those fuckers at Dawson sold you, it’s most likely snake oil.’

‘Well, I’ll just have to find out myself then,’ he said, finality to his voice. ‘I’m sorry it couldn’t work out Chris.’

He hung up.

Fuming, I set the phone down and placed my palms on my desk, gripping the mahogany surface I sanded myself.

I couldn’t fire Luke for inviting me to his engagement party, but I sure as hell could fire that new HR manager for letting second-rate associates into my firm.

 

Chris  

‘Jesus Christ, why the hell did you dump that one?’

Jillian stood with her arms crossed over her chest, a vicious scowl over her expression.

‘Why? Well, out of the four new associates he hired, only one of them knows how to file a fucking liability waver, and the one who does works at the speed of shit,’ I returned bitterly.

Jillian’s look became icier. She wasn’t afraid of my authoritarian attitude. Even though Luke and I were technically the managing partners of this firm, Jillian was the underground Queen, making sure the small fires didn’t become massive ones.

She dealt with the sludge and fine issues of our firm, and had a hand in almost every one of our cases. I respected her immensely for that, but that didn’t mean she could boss me around.

There could only be one man at the top.

‘It took me two weeks to find this one,’ she exclaimed, throwing her hands up to make the most of her tiny frame. ‘He hit all, and I mean all twenty-one checks you wanted. I heard about Vandeross, but give the guy a second chance.’

I sighed deeply, shaking my head. ‘No, no second chances. That’s the law around here and you know it.’

‘Oh my god, shove it up your ass,’ she raged, crossing her arms even tighter.

I didn’t respond.

‘Fine, I’ll spend the next week looking for another victim you’ll tear to shreds,’ she lashed before turning to leave. ‘Also, we’re meeting at Red’s tonight. Everyone. You’re coming too, it’s a Friday.’

Before I could refuse, she slammed the door on the way out.

Women were amazing at the fine details, but too fucking emotional.

 

Chris

As I swung open the massive wooden door, I heard an awful racket fill the air.

Looking up at the karaoke stage, I saw my brother Jacob with his arm around my cousin Steve. They’re clearly drunk and sharing the microphone, doing no justice to Beyonce’s “Halo”, and scanning the room, I notice that several patrons aren’t exactly pleased.

I made my way to our usual booth, which has become quite crowded with the addition of Abigail and Stacey. I slip in next to Stacey, scrunching my face up at Luke, whose mouth was busy invading the one of the woman next to him.

‘Christ, is that public indecency ever going to stop?’ I groaned as I ordered a Bud.

‘I know you’re just jealous,’ Luke said, grinning a dreamy, puppy-eyed smile that made me regret coming. ‘I’m not going to keep my hands off my fiancée in front of you freaks now that everyone knows.’

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I don’t want to know where your hands are right now,’ I scowled. ‘And it’s been three weeks since she agreed to a lifetime of your shit. You’re still high off using that word?’

‘Fuck you, and yes, my fiancée loves it.’

Abigail laughed. I didn’t know how she found this boy scout funny. ‘How are things at the firm, Chris?’ Her bubbly voice asked.

I glanced over, and Jillian loaded me with an icy stare in between her conversation with Stacey. ‘Not the best week,’ I sighed, taking a deep swig of the beer. ‘Had to fire our HR manager, and another four associates.’

‘You fired Jack?’ Luke asked, frowning and shaking his head in quick, small movements. ‘We were going to the auto show next weekend together. Damn it Chris, we finally find someone man enough to enjoy a classic paint job, and you had to go all Captain America on him.’

‘In the first week. This is the third one we’ve been through this month.’ Jillian’s snarl made me glad that Stacey was in between us.

‘Wait, are you looking for a new HR manager?’ Abigail asked, using her chin to point at me because Luke held both of her hands captive in his.

He’s not. I am,’ Jillian complained. ‘Suck a dick Chris.’

Before I could retort, Abigail chimed in. ‘Why don’t you hire Stacey? She worked human resources in Washington.’

All eyes landed on the woman next to me. She had an undertone of an accent that I couldn’t place, the words coming out with a twist at the end. ‘Sure, but I wasn’t the manager,’ Stacey emphasized. ‘And that was a government job, a lot more structured than a law firm.’

Structure? I made sure to keep my firm structured. That’s why Jack and his donkeys were free agents again.

Besides, you needed iron judgment to differentiate between an interviewee who actually wanted a career, and one that was just looking for another resume-booster. Stacey had a good head on her shoulders, but she was still a woman, and women turned into wrecking balls five days a month.

I knew she was still looking for a permanent job right now. If she had a law degree, I wouldn’t think twice about hiring her as an associate, but HR manager? I don’t think so.

‘We’re in the middle of a few other candidates right now,’ I replied, shrugging. ‘Besides, I’m not sure how smart it is working with friends.’

‘I’m your friend,’ Luke teased. ‘And my name is on the wall next to yours.’

‘That’s only because we popped out of the same woman Brimstone,’ I said after taking another sip. ‘You’re damn lucky.’

He devoured Abigail with another wet kiss, and we were all recoils from this side of the table. ‘Yes I am,’ he said dreamily.

‘My vote is with Stace as well. I’m tired of looking through profiles only for them to miss two or three of your impossible demands Chris,’ Jillian urged. ‘Give her a shot.’

‘Jill,’ Stacey began, sighing. ‘It’s really not necessary.’

‘Come on Chris,’ Abigail said in a voice so sweet I could taste the honey. I could see why Luke answered her every beck and call.

‘Yeah, come on Chris,’ Luke grinned, knowing exactly how much I was hating this right now. ‘Make my fiancée happy.’

‘I – Well,’ I stuttered, and all eyes were on me, even Stacey’s big hazel irises held a dash of hope. Sighing, I said, ‘She’ll have to come in for an interview, but fine, why not.’

The table exploded in a cheer, and I barely heard Stacey’s thank you.

Fucking peer pressure.

 

Chris

The October Monday sky was gray and masked by a fleet of clouds as I made my way to the firm. I lived comfortably close to the building, but morning traffic in Manhattan was still a bitch and a half.

The minivan in front of me was a little too leisured after the light turned green, and I didn't hesitate to blast my horn at him. ‘Get off your fucking cellphone!’ I yelled into the enclosed cabin. Shaking my head, I glanced up at the sullen skies and I felt exactly the same way inside.

Actually, I’d been regretting agreeing to interview Stacey all weekend.

The sting from the Vandeross loss was still heavy in my head, and I needed a solution to our loose hiring problem, not another weakness point – which is why I wanted to oversee hiring again.

It's not that Stacey was a pushover; she oozed confidence. She had the balls to quit her cushy government job in DC and come back to uncertainty in New York, for crying out loud. While she wasn’t in a fulfilling career right now, I knew that she wouldn’t have too hard a time finding what she needed.

And anyone that could win Jillian’s seal of approval was worth their salt. The only other person Jill liked as much as Stacey was Abigail, and everyone loved Abigail. Jillian didn’t have many female friends, and it’s because most found her intimidating. She was an alpha to the end, only liking people who were comfortable with themselves and told her the truth from day one. Problem was, most girls in New York were plastic smiles and behind the back shit-talkers.

Pulling into the underground parking spot reserved with my name on it, I relaxed a bit, thinking maybe Stacey wouldn’t be too bad a fit.

But my slight change of heart wasn’t going to stop me from going all Captain America on her in the interview – if she was joining the team, she would have to prove she can handle stress.

She was waiting for me in my office; I could see that red hair through my office window from across the floor.

I had my hand on my door, but didn’t open it immediately. She was looking out at the city – my office had a view of the Japanese-inspired garden behind our building.

I felt a strange curiosity rise in me, watching her. She must have been wearing heels because she looked a mere two or three inches below my six-four. Stacey was a naturally lanky woman, with legs that went on for days, and stuck out like a scarecrow when she was with Abigail and Jillian.

It’s been less than a month since she moved back from Washington, and I have only talked to her a handful of times. She wore a suit jacket to the trial and a conservative dress to Luke’s engagement party – nothing revealing. I noticed her figure, sure, but any man with enough testosterone would give her a second glance. Besides, she was Abigail’s best friend, so I immediately filed her into the “unavailable” category.

But I’ve never seen her in business attire before today, and I couldn't ditch my curious itch. She wore a simple white button-up blouse up top, but it was the bottoms that grabbed my attention. The blouse was tucked into a skinny black skirt that hugged her thighs and tight little ass cheeks, and I couldn’t help noticing that slim, curvy figure. Her calves peeked out from underneath the skirt, toned, and like everything else about her, long. Pitifully, I had the sudden urge to run my hands all over them.

IvannisAkeers
Online Now!
Lush Cams
IvannisAkeers

Collect yourself Chris.

Taking a deep breath to cleanse the stars in my brain, I turned the knob to open the door, and as she turned around, my sight instinctively landed about a foot and a half south of her eyes. Her skin was ivory, and that peeking valley between her breasts glowed in the morning sun. She issued a warm smile and I forced one back, hating myself for thinking with my dick.

‘Hi,’ she said cheerfully. Too much damn energy for the morning.

I set down my overcoat and stuck out my hand, but she had other plans because right as I did, she came in for a hug. Instead of either working out, she was left at arm’s length with my fingers wedged into her cleavage.

‘Shit!’ I uttered, overwhelmed with embarrassment and instinctively, I backed up immediately, but not before noticing her eyebrows shooting up to her forehead.

‘Fuck, I – I’m sorry,’ I muttered, unable to meet her eyes. ‘Fucking shit way to start an interview.’ My hands went from my pockets to clasped in my front to hanging awkwardly by my sides.

To my surprise, instead of leaving a red palm print across my cheek, she burst out laughing, which lessened the tension in the room. She stuck out her hand as a truce and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I shook it, forcing myself to look into her eyes. Those hazel halos hid something, something she wasn’t saying.

 

Stacey 

That’s one way to start the morning. Being a tall girl, I was used to being gawked at, but never touched so abruptly like that. If it was any other person other than my best friend’s soon-to-be brother-in-law, I’d have connect my shin to their balls.

Long legs gave me good range.

Also, I wanted this gig and when I wanted something, I did what needed to be done to get it. Even if it meant laughing off an accidental boob-spearing at nine in the morning.

Returning to New York from Washington, I was afraid I wouldn’t find another job that suited me as well as HR assistant. I loved telling people what to do, because I was never wrong. Call me whatever you wanted, just don’t crying back to me when you realize I was right. I knew that my confidence was easily mistaken as arrogance, but those haters could fuck off.

Watching Chris lay his documents neatly across his desk, I studied his features. A square, strong jaw underlined his face. His chin pointed out slightly, giving him an eastern-European look. His eyes were green, a color he shared with his siblings, hooded by distinct brow lines, and he kept his hair shortly trimmed.

Not the worst package in the world.

But I shouldn’t let that incident betray his platonic intent. He wasn’t interested, and the way he flew back four feet after touching me was a clear indication.

He cleared his throat; it was a masculine, guttural sound. ‘So, Miss Kavanagh,’ he said in his deep tone, ‘Thanks for coming in so early.’

‘No problem, Chris,’ I replied lightly, and at that, he lifted a brow. Clearly in professional lawyer mode, he was not impressed that I thought we were on a first-name basis.

This wasn’t the huggable drunk from Abigail’s engagement party anymore.

‘I meant, of course Mr. Brimstone,’ I corrected myself. Something about that name felt right on my tongue.

‘Well then, let’s get started,’ he said, closing the door and sealing us inside his office.

It was a minimalistic room, with two bookshelves and his desk being the main furniture pieces. The shelves were littered chock full of law texts, and I wondered if he actually read every one himself. On both walls hung photos of him with former clients, and a pattern emerged as I scanned each photo. The person he was shaking hands with almost always had a wide smile on their face, while he looked into the camera with a tight expression.

Somber bastard.

‘The position of HR manager is one full of responsibility,’ he began, eyes unmoving. ‘You’ll be the one hiring, firing, and maintaining firm structure as well as associate morale.’

Something told me that with Chris at the helm, the associates were lacking in the morale front.

‘We work long hours here,’ he pressed further. ‘This isn’t a nine to five; I’ll expect you to be here by eight and leave no earlier than six most days.’ His mouth was curved into a frown, and his voice like a hunter’s, cool and visceral.

I recognized suddenly that he was trying to rattle me before the interview began. He was turning up the heat so I’d melt before I had my showing.

‘Still interested?’ he asked lowly, arms crossed over his wide chest.

‘Sure,’ I said simply.

He had no idea who he was up against.

 

Chris

This interview wasn’t going as I expected. I didn’t know what I was expecting, actually, but certainly not this smooth, calculated professional.

She had some novel answers in terms of re-structuring the firm, such as having more internal control over check-depositing in case of embezzlement. That caught my attention.

She also took the time to go over each of our associate’s histories, which she didn’t need to do, but I was impressed that she did. She wasn’t afraid of telling me we were using them all wrong, and basically lectured me about the importance of tapping into their full potential by putting them on cases they were passionate about.

I wasn’t so sure about her assuming attitude, but I had to admit, I could see her ideas working well. But, did she know how to hire?

‘Candidate number one. You have two minutes.’

I watched as she scanned the summary page of a former associate. Jack hired him, and I wanted to see if she would make the same mistake. Her fingers flipped through the crisp white pages, her skin nearly the same shade. I realized I was still standing, and from this vantage point a downblouse view was too available to pass up.

She didn’t have the largest rack in the world, but those B cups were proportional on her long, lean body. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail, and fingernails trimmed short. Everything about her screamed efficient, including those average breasts.

Fingers itchy, I stowed my hands in my pants pockets and forced myself to sit down.

‘Two minutes is up,’ I reminded.

She took another three seconds to finish what she was reading, and that irritated me. Not that taking an extra few seconds was criminal in my book, but the fact that she took them.

I don’t even understand why myself.

‘Well,’ she began, eye contact strong and voice even. ‘He has an amazing track record. All wins.’

I fought the small, conniving smile teasing at the corner of my mouth. ‘Would you hire him?’

‘No, I wouldn’t’ she said confidently, and that irritated me too, how confident she was. ‘He averages just over two cases a year. The man is a cherry-picker.’

Straining a frown, I placed a second set of papers in front of her. ‘Candidate two. Again, two minutes,’ I said, emphasizing that number.

She narrowed her eyes at me for a second, and that piecing look caused a stir in my trousers. She began reviewing, and I shifting in my chair, trying to find a position that gave myself some breathing room downstairs.

Her blouse was sleeveless, allowing me to notice the underlying musculature of her arms. She was no stranger to the gym, and that should have turned me off right there. I liked my women women. I preferred them thick and curvy, with enough weight on them for child-bearing.

Not that Stacey’s child-bearing ability was relevant to this interview.

But I couldn’t shake the image of those long, pale legs in a pair of yoga pants, working out a deep, and in my mind, this was a deep squat.

The soldier in my pants flared to life, hitting the underside of the desk.

‘Chris?’ her rich voice called out. I threw her furrowed brows while continuing to make micro-adjustments downstairs. ‘It’s been two minutes.’

I cleared my throat. ‘Of course – right – so what’s your verdict?’ This candidate was a difficult one to analyze, especially considering Stacey was a woman.

‘Well,’ she began, and I tried to look at her eyes instead of her lips. ‘She’s had several large firms in her portfolio, and her superiors all said great things about her, but she’s taken six years off work. The law world has already moved on. While I’m sure she could start as an intern here to get her feet wet, paying her a full associate’s salary right away would be foolish.’

I ground my teeth together. That’s exactly what I would have done with Sylvia as well. Stacey had a sharp eye and good critical thinking skills, I’ll give her that. ‘Alright, that’s enough candidates,’ I said brusquely.

‘But I see three more right there,’ she replied poignantly, directing her gaze to the stack of folders on my desk.

‘I think that’s enough,’ I muttered. Her eyes were perhaps a little too sharp.

She frowned, and I wondered if in her mind she was blowing this interview.

She wasn’t, but I could think of something else she could.

Collect yourself Chris.

‘Miss Kavanagh, there is a final portion to the interview,’ I said, voice almost a hiss since most candidates I interviewed never even got to this part.

She didn’t reply, simply content with boring into me with those hazel eyes.

‘One of our associates isn’t cutting it, so what I’m going to need you to do is fire him.’

She blinked rapidly. ‘Right now?’

‘As soon as I call him in.’

I expected her to pause and collect her bearings for a few moments at least, but without hesitation, she replied, ‘Sure.’

Slightly astonished by her lack of concern, I forced my attention to the phone, transferring myself to the associate’s room. ‘Tyler, could you come to my office please?’ I asked with underlying command.

Though the associate’s room was on the other side of the floor, Tyler arrived within ten seconds flat, breathy from the run.

I trained them well.

‘Yes, Mr. Brimstone?’ he said, his wary expression adding to the dramatics of it all.

‘Tyler, this is Miss Kavanagh. She is interviewing for Jack’s former position,’ I explained as I motioned a hand towards Stacey.

He threw on a dumb smile. ‘Hi Miss Kavanagh! I look forward to working with you.’

Stacey didn’t even bother with his outstretched hand.

She cleared her throat, and didn’t flinch or stutter even once as she spoke. ‘I apologize that I had to be the one to tell you this Tyler. I’m sure you have a bright future ahead of you, but that future will not be at Brimstone and Associates.’ Her voice was level, and I found her natural authority strangely arousing.

Tyler looked confused. ‘Excuse me? Sorry – I – I don’t understand.’

‘You’re being let go Tyler,’ Stacey clarified. ‘Please pack up your things. You have one hour before security intervenes.’

Tyler looked from Stacey to me, and I simply nodded. Seconds past, and I as reality sunk in, he began breathing heavily, shoulders rising and falling, forehead shiny from sweat. To be honest, I was afraid he was having a stroke, and it looked as though he was going to cry, eyes sheened with wetness. Without warning, he bolted from the room before his tears fell out, leaving Stacey and I alone once more.

‘Well, I think that concludes our interview,’ I said, cutting through the thick tension. ‘Our assistant will be in contact.’

‘Sure,’ she said simply, and that little word was starting to get on my nerves.

Before I could say anything else, she stood and whisked out the door, leaving me staring at those long legs as she walked toward the elevators. And just like that, my annoyance turned to lust.

Fuck, this was confusing.

 

Thank you for reading.

Comments welcome!

Published 
Written by RedJoan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors