Favorite Comics/Graphic Novels

last reply
25 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Right now, I'd have to go with Invincible or Fables, but that'll change tomorrow as far as comics go.
Graphic novel: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3: Century.
Honorable mentions go to: Understanding Comics, American Splendor, Irredeemable, XO-Manowar (post 2012 reboot), The Goon, Days of Future Past, and Matt Fraction's Hawkeye (I love Lucky (aka Pizza dog))

Update: Now it's Cleveland from Harvey Pekar as favorite GN.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i love Fables - it's amazing even if you're not a fan of comics. Read Fairest and the Cinderella series too, btw.

other favs - Batgirl - the Stephanie Brown years (sad face) and yes, Hawkeye is brilliant.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Walking Dead...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Animal Man
Static Shock (not the new 52)
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The Darkness is such a great comic. Any fan should read it you won't be disappointed.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
If you can get ahold of the preacher graphic novels, you will not be disappointed.

0 likes
I'm not horribly up to date (haven't read comics or graphic novels in a long time) but Sandman by Neil Gaiman ranks as my all-time favorite. One volume was the only graphic novel ever to win the World Fantasy Award (largely, IIRC, because after it won they ghettoized graphic novels to keep them competing with "real" books).
Wild at Heart
0 likes
You'll get absorbed into the Bone world as well. When I read them they were in black and white but I think they have since been colorized.

0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
You'll get absorbed into the Bone world as well. When I read them they were in black and white but I think they have since been colorized.

Crap. Completely forgot about Bone for some reason. Amazing fantasy series.
Lurker
0 likes
Sin City, Superman/Batman, Superman/Wonder Woman (Issue #1 so far), Flashpoint, and Blade. I could go on and on with this since I love comics and graphic novels, but I'll leave with these five.
Lurker
0 likes
Anything by Frank Miller in any form. Lots of Stan Lee.
Lurker
0 likes
Kingdom Come, Sin City... as far as comics go I think Scott Snyder's doing a hell of a job on Batman.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm reading a lot of Image titles right now, too many to list. Transmetropolitan, The Boys, Criminal are some of my favorites. I lean toward the darker comics and try to avoid the cape and cowl scene.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
if manga count, i'm stuck on 07ghost, fairy tail, and rosario vampire. waiting for others too, but that list would take too long to type
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I grew up on Vampirella the original bad girl. Now with all the movies made by people who collected comic books as a kid when can we see a DECENT and sexy version of Vampirella? Who could play her? She must look the part. Thora Birch perhaps?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

The Freak Brothers -
1960"s counter-culture (1969 to Present?)
Written by Gilbert Shelton (same genre as Fritz the cat, R. Crumb, etc.)
Story of three druggies (Franklin, Phineous & Fat Freddy) and their cat,
essentially tales on how to score dope, avoid getting burned and/or busted,
get laid and get high. Not as adolescent as it sounds. Very, very funny.
Good Artwork. Also, see "Fat Freddy's Cat"
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by LaCoquette

The Freak Brothers -
1960"s counter-culture (1969 to Present?)
Written by Gilbert Shelton (same genre as Fritz the cat, R. Crumb, etc.)
Story of three druggies (Franklin, Phineous & Fat Freddy) and their cat,
essentially tales on how to score dope, avoid getting burned and/or busted,
get laid and get high. Not as adolescent as it sounds. Very, very funny.
Good Artwork. Also, see "Fat Freddy's Cat"

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers smile

I downloaded digital copies of these a while ago. Very funny stuff.
Lurker
0 likes
A controversial choice obviously, but "Maus" by Art Spiegelman remains the most affecting graphic novel I've ever read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

https://www.google.ie/search?q=maus&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vNrDU6nUH7DA7Aa5sIC4BA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=482#facrc=0%3Bmaus%20art%20spiegelman&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

I confess to having some reservations about Spiegelman's approach, (stylistically, at least) but what I could never deny is its power to educates it entertains, this in itself a criticism by many commentators.

Indeed, "Maus" was one of the first graphic novels to address COMPLEXITY of issue, emotion, narrative and practice in this form.

As an Old-School 2000AD Comic fan, the 'Halo Jones' collected series,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Halo_Jones

http://ansionnachfionn.com/greannain-comics/the-ballad-of-halo-jones/

is one of the most brilliant and delightful pieces of Sci-fiction I have ever read in any form. (I quite fell in love with her, actually... Of course she WAS called Jones...)

xx Steph
Lurker
0 likes
Batman: Under the (Red) Hood, Rosario + Vampire, Sin City, and anything by Grant Morrison, Allen Morre, Judd Winick or Frank Miller.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
If it wasn't already obvious by my profile pictures, I'm a fan of The Last Man.

I would add in the V for Vendetta graphic novel, but I don't think that gives me any points. Everyone likes Alan Moore.
Happiness

My life has no meaning, no direction, no aim. No purpose. But I'm happy. I can't wrap my head around this. What the fuck am I doing right?
Lurker
0 likes
Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Always admire Sin City's artwork. smile
I could show you INCREDIBLE things...
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Rat Queens!

Seriously, it's soooo good.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've already seen Transmetropolitan (people know Transmetropolitan in this place, I'm never leaving!) and Maus on this topic, so I'm going in another direction.

I feel like Joe Sacco's work really has to be mentionned. If Transmetropolitan made a journalist a fictionnal hero, he actually made journalism in graphic novels. Gaza 1956 or The Fixer are some of the foremost works of out time in both graphic novels and journalism. They are must-reads.

Also, in french: Sasmira, by Vicomte. Probably my favorite, but Vicomte is a painfully slow author. Almost 15 years between the first and second album.
Universal War One by Denis Bajram. Brilliant piece of science-fiction.
I do not know if translations are available.

In spanish: Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido. Incredible in the noir genre. (Almost certain that one has been translated in english)

And I couldn't leave without mentionning Corto Maltese, by Pratt.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Going to do a quick plug for everything Valiant, Ed Brubaker's work with Sean Phillips (also Velvet, but that doesn't have Sean Phillips). Not my favorites (that being said Brubaker's work on Captain America is one of my all time favorites) but pretty awesome. Also Hickman's secret wars and the lead-up to it is pretty good.
Also is anyone as pretentious as I am for differentiating between Comics, Trades and Graphic Novels? Probably not, just checking though.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I really enjoy The Walking Dead comics, it's interesting to see how much they differ from the t.v show