No Response From Writer

last reply
54 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
1 like
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
If I take the time to comment on an author's story I think they should acknowledge you with a short thank you response along with a brief note to your particular comment. It makes me not want to bother to read anymore or at the very least not bother to comment or give them a rating. Am I being too critical?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Herbert Spencer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
They should. Some folks are polite and others aren't. Just kind of the way it is. I always reply, but that's me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Yep.
I agree, at least in part, with Sdsioux. When I read a story, I always leave a comment for the author, and by that, I don’t mean a simple ‘Great job’ or ‘a five’ type of comment which doesn’t tell the author much, if anything. If there is something I particularly liked, I mention it, perhaps with a partial quote. This lets the author know where they did a great job. If a part of the story didn’t make sense or flow smoothly, again, I let them know, perhaps even with a private message. Now they know where their weakness lies which will hopefully help them improve their skills.

Dozens of times I’ve read where authors state they value the comments more than the number rating, because they want to know where they didn’t write something correctly, so they won’t make the same mistake later. The same thought applies if the reader is happy with their words. Any of the stories I’ve worked on, that was always my feelings.

Since I get nothing from my comment, but only do it trying to help the author, isn’t it being polite and showing good manners for that person to at least acknowledge my effort? Surely that isn’t asking to much. After I’ve invested the time and effort and yet receive not a word from the author, sometimes I’ve wondered, ‘well, why bother?’ I could have spent that time reading someone else’s story that would appreciate my effort.

Liz, usually I agree with your comments, but I’m sorry, not this time. To put it in terms of Canadian/American baseball, you struck out this inning.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I always leave a comment and appreciate a response but it isn’t necessary. I try to always return it but my schedule is hectic and it takes me awhile sometimes. I have quite a few at the moment that are waiting longer than usual and I do apologize for that but I will get to them
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi Milik. I hope my comment didn’t imply that I’ll never again read any stories by an author just because they didn’t respond to my comment. I’ve read different stories simply because the author is a talented writer and I enjoy their words, even though I’ve never received a response. As you stated, a response is appreciated, but it’s also true that we all have day-to-day responsibilities that interfere with our time here.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
I respond to what I get. An "I loved it" or other simple comment, likely just gets a Like. Some kind of detailed comment, even just a sentence, will likely get a response. I do fall behind in my responses at times for which I apologize to commenters who have been missed. Wasn't a reflection on your comment, just on my availability or mental state.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by sdsioux
If I take the time to comment on an author's story I think they should acknowledge you with a short thank you response along with a brief note to your particular comment. It makes me not want to bother to read anymore or at the very least not bother to comment or give them a rating. Am I being too critical?

“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.”
― Sylvia Plath

Your point reminds me about an article I read; it's about social media, but the point is still valid:

Social Media

You post a comment, hoping / expecting for some positive feedback - you're seeking approval / appreciation and when it's not forthcoming, you feel rejected. Some writers will feel the same when their hard-written story doesn't get the approval / appreciation they think it deserves. It's a fundamental part of being human.

The reality is that people live busy lives and they are not deliberately setting out to give you a downer. Try and follow the quote from Sylvia Plath, but in a positive way.
Lurker
0 likes
Ditto. I think if the reader takes the time to post, leave feedback/score you should kindly acknowledge their time. JMHO
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
As an author, if someone takes the time to comment on my story, I will try to take the time to acknowledge their comment. However, I don't get upset if I leave a comment on a story, and the author doesn't reply.
Lurker
1 like
Quote by sdsioux

I have a very strong opinion on this.

I think it’s rude, ignorant, arrogant, and down right disrespectful when an author does not acknowledge a comment from a reader.

A simple thank you is enough, but I love to interact with those that read, vote, and comment. We banter, give each other a ribbing-good time, but I always reply. If I forget, I apologize.

Sometimes, authors thank readers with a PM. Some even create a thank you message using the cover picture and post it on the reader’s profile, if the author has access to it. This stuff is marketing 101. If you want to be read, love your audience first and they will love you back.

I no longer read stories that the author refuses to acknowledge the comments.

It’s basic courtesy. Proper manners. And a sign and showing of appreciation and respect. The reader could have spent that time reading another’s story, or doing something else. They chose to read that story. Fucking thank them for doing so. Bloody hell. It’s next to the least the author can do.

So no. You are not being too critical. You are bang on. If an author ignores your comment, you can exercise your reading skills on another's stories, another author who will appreciate you for taking the time to do so.

However, and this is a big however, if the comment left is hyper-critical instead of questioning and constructive, and the reader is just being an ass, that reader does not deserve to be engaged. So, to put a bow on this, in the sage words given by our local mall’s drunken Santa in 1977, “Don’t be a cunt.”
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I recall this conversation in another thread several years ago. A lot of good arguments for both sides, and while I'd never argue against courtesy, time constraints can be a big factor. But I'm sensing a definite expectation of an author's acknowledgement of reader comments from the posts so far, and a degree of resentment when it's not received. Since I don't want Ping to think I'm a 'cunt', and since my company is all but closed down because of the coronavirus, I'll take the available time to go back and be more thankful to my readers who have commented.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do - as I believe it is polite to acknowledge that somebody has taken the time to comment.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I don't think a reader owes anything to a writer, or a writer owes anything to a reader.

That said, I always comment on stories I read, and I always respond to comments on my own stories. Because it's a writing community, and I want to support the community.

But I don't think anyone should feel obligated. That kinda kills the joy.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
I recall this conversation in another thread several years ago. A lot of good arguments for both sides, and while I'd never argue against courtesy, time constraints can be a big factor. But I'm sensing a definite expectation of an author's acknowledgement of reader comments from the posts so far, and a degree of resentment when it's not received. Since I don't want Ping to think I'm a 'cunt', and since my company is all but closed down because of the coronavirus, I'll take the available time to go back and be more thankful to my readers who have commented.

I'd never think that. And besides, 1977 Santa said it, not me. Now, come to think of it, the sign above him was misspelled as SATAN. Makes more sense now.

I should have mentioned, there are a couple of grandfathered writers I like to read that have, have not, and now rarely reply to comments. But they rarely write now, so it's does not factor into Santa's warning. HO HO HO.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
yes, i think you're being a bit too critical - but i'm not mad at it. what i've come to learn here is that people visit for a myriad of reasons. there are many writers here who come simply to use lush as a means to get their stories 'out of their head' and would continue posting if no one commented/voted. others come with the intent of honing their craft and are very involved in the writing community on the site. both are welcome and vital here.

as someone whose time here has been sporadic at best this past year, i can understand how one can get behind and possibly even overwhelmed. i personally don't mind if an author doesn't reply to my comment. i write comments because it causes good vibes for both parties. consider it my good deed for the night☺

Say. Her. Name.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite
Hi Milik. I hope my comment didn’t imply that I’ll never again read any stories by an author just because they didn’t respond to my comment. I’ve read different stories simply because the author is a talented writer and I enjoy their words, even though I’ve never received a response. As you stated, a response is appreciated, but it’s also true that we all have day-to-day responsibilities that interfere with our time here.

Not at all. Your comments are always very in-depth and I very much enjoy reading them. I do feel badly for my recent neglecting but I assure you I will. My time is often limited and now is one of those when I can pop in but not much more. Never the less, I do thank you for the time you take
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I don't think a reader owes anything to a writer, or a writer owes anything to a reader.

That said, I always comment on stories I read, and I always respond to comments on my own stories. Because it's a writing community, and I want to support the community.

But I don't think anyone should feel obligated. That kinda kills the joy.

You bastard. You've gone rogue off message. I shall work on increasing your guilt-inducing medication.

I want the 36 seconds back that I've spent reading your stuff. Oh wait. Sprite is using it for another wiping purpose. Pass.

You and I have talked briefly about this before, and I recall you sharing a wise perspective on it. Sadly, I don't remember what the hell it was.

Oh right. You said what you said above, that a reader doesn't owe a writer anything. I agree. However, I disagree with the reverse. If someone buys your stuff, with their finite time of life and/or money, or both, a writer should feel obligated to show their appreciation. Here, on LushVille Island, that appreciation is a reply to a comment, including a dick pic or boob shot. Well, the last two are optional. In the publishing world, they don't buy, you don't eat. An author's ego needs some munchies too, n'est-ce pas?

Boy oh boy, are we going to talk about this when you get home.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
Not at all. Your comments are always very in-depth and I very much enjoy reading them. I do feel badly for my recent neglecting but I assure you I will. My time is often limited and now is one of those when I can pop in but not much more. Never the less, I do thank you for the time you take

You're such a diplomat.
0 likes
I always try to answer comments when given. I think it is polite to do so. Lately I have not done writing or much reading or answering comments. Since Dec. I have been very ill with lung infections and pneumonia so I have spent very little time on lush at all. I am very sorry to those I have not replied to. LikeToWrite, I’m sorry I have not commented on your comment. It was amazing comment and I appreciate it and will get to them as soon as I can. I’m sorry.
Click below to see

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Ping

You're such a diplomat.

Anything to earn a comment my friend. It’s a cold dark work out there. There is no shame in my game
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. i like to, but it doesn't always happen, cause, you know, life and stuff. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
If I compliment a random woman on the street I feel she should acknowledge me with a short thank you. No? Of course not.

Sure, it's nice if they do respond, but the fact that you decide to comment does not mean they need to respond IMO. And if they do respond, are you then required to keep commenting as well? Of course not. Besides, they've already taken the time to write and post their story for you to read. They've taken the initiative, not you.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

True love stories never have endings.
0 likes
If someone takes the time to read my stories I think it's common courtesy to thank them. That is just the way I am.
I have a new story that I wrote for the new competition. If you have a few minutes would you please read it?

Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
I try to reply to anyone who takes the time to comment on any of my stories. But I'd hope that that didn't influence whether they choose to read more of my stories... hopefully if they enjoyed that story, they might look at others of mine. If they didn't, then they should probably try some other authors...

And when I comment, it's usually to say, "Hey, I enjoyed that." I don't need any promise of thanks to say that - although I won't bother if the author hasn't logged on in a year or more. And I'll read more of their stories if I think I'll enjoy them... oh, and if I find the time and energy (sooo many stories to catch up on).
0 likes
Quote by sdsioux

Yes, you are being too critical.
You don't have to comment or rate the story either just as they don't need to reply to every comment.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite
Liz, usually I agree with your comments, but I’m sorry, not this time. To put it in terms of Canadian/American baseball, you struck out this inning.

You are entitled to your opinion.
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
As a writer, I have that deep-seated ego thing that I love entertaining people with my work and hearing about it. Why write and publish if it's not for the reaction? But I appreciate there are those who just drive-by read. People who comment represent waaaaay less than 1% of the number of 'views', whether real or bot or search engine. That's precious. So as long as it's not a troll comment, I'll try and respond to anyone, using a comparable or greater amount of effort to the comment left.

If the comment raises a particular aspect of the story, I often give away stuff on my thought process or the writing/editing process behind it. Whether this is appreciated or TMI, I don't know. But I do it anyway as maybe it'll inspire someone to write.

On the flipside, I don't expect a personal response from any author. It's lovely when they do, but life is more important than making me feel good about enjoying their work. And I certainly don't boycott anyone who doesn't. I consume content to be entertained, and to learn. If the story interests me, I'll read it regardless whether the author replies to comments.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 101 stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 26 Editor's Picks, 69 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 20 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Ping

You bastard. You've gone rogue off message. I shall work on increasing your guilt-inducing medication.

I want the 36 seconds back that I've spent reading your stuff. Oh wait. Sprite is using it for another wiping purpose. Pass.

You and I have talked briefly about this before, and I recall you sharing a wise perspective on it. Sadly, I don't remember what the hell it was.

Oh right. You said what you said above, that a reader doesn't owe a writer anything. I agree. However, I disagree with the reverse. If someone buys your stuff, with their finite time of life and/or money, or both, a writer should feel obligated to show their appreciation. Here, on LushVille Island, that appreciation is a reply to a comment, including a dick pic or boob shot. Well, the last two are optional. In the publishing world, they don't buy, you don't eat. An author's ego needs some munchies too, n'est-ce pas?

Boy oh boy, are we going to talk about this when you get home.

Sorry dude.

I think my actual quote to you was "A writer blaming his readers is like a bad lover blaming his partner." I wasn't applying that to you, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I love comments, and I love comments on my comments. I'm a WHORE for comments! I just don't think it's an obligation.

I think both you and I think of comments, and the comments on those comments, as a dialogue between writer and reader. Which I love. But not everyone want to talk.

I will admit--and I hope I'm not offending anyone--that I don't like the the graphics that say "thank you for reading <insert story name>." It strikes me as using my wall to advertise your story, in the guise of a thank you.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
Sorry dude.

I think my actual quote to you was "A writer blaming his readers is like a bad lover blaming his partner." I wasn't applying that to you, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I love comments, and I love comments on my comments. I'm a WHORE for comments! I just don't think it's an obligation.

I think both you and I think of comments, and the comments on those comments, as a dialogue between writer and reader. Which I love. But not everyone want to talk.

I will admit--and I hope I'm not offending anyone--that I don't like the the graphics that say "thank you for reading <insert story name>." It strikes me as using my wall to advertise your story, in the guise of a thank you.

Nope. You didn't share that with me. Must have been some other. To impart such wisdom, and not realize it wasn't me. Flabbergasted. Hurt. Devastated.

Yes, weez luvz the comments. But gotta love to get love, otherwise it goes unrequited. We feel used. It digresses into an abuse of a cyber relationship. Smack me big boy. Pull my hair. However, buy me a drink first.

But alas, we disagree again. The graphic thank you is both, as it should be. It's again, marketing. But it primarily is heartfelt, I believe. Do keep in mind, that a graphic thank you usually happens during competitions. It's part of the promotion game. If you look at it from that perspective - first and foremost, it's a sincere thank you, but also a form of promotion, and is part of the competition game, that might temper your get-off-my-profile grumpiness.

A person can only nonreciprocally profess their literary love for someone so many times before they move on. That's cyber love and life baby. Made to feel unappreciated is a recipe for relationship disaster - cyber, real, and imagined.

So, whatcha wearing?