Attention!!!!

last reply
38 replies
4.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sophisticate
0 likes
I don't think blanket statements pro or con are helpful. We all have a responsibility to make informed decisions about our health and that of our loved ones. I would only trust respected sources like the NIH or other such sites. Reading something on some obscure internet site does not make it the truth or reliable. Taking health advice about vaccinations from C-list celebrities (e.g. Jenny MCarthy and the purported connection between autism and vaccinations) is also not wise.

Do your research, talk to your doctor, and decide for yourself. There are many childhood diseases that have been eradicated because of vaccinations.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I think you'll find she was jesting, joking, fooling around, having a laugh, getting her giggle on, pulling your leg, etc...

only somewhat, actually. i could tell you stories...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by principessa
I don't think blanket statements pro or con are helpful. We all have a responsibility to make informed decisions about our health and that of our loved ones. I would only trust respected sources like the NIH or other such sites. Reading something on some obscure internet site does not make it the truth or reliable. Taking health advice about vaccinations from C-list celebrities (e.g. Jenny MCarthy and the purported connection between autism and vaccinations) is also not wise.

Yes, but it’s also unwise to assume someone’s opinion is based on consulting obscure websites and C-list celebrities.

It is a rare person that will say that all vaccines are 'bad' or unnecessary. There are, however, many elective vaccines with real and scary side effects that have been rushed to market to gain market share when a competing pharma company lands there first or is launching at a comparable time. There is also overmarketing and incentive pushes when a drug is basically one of the few viable moneymakers in situations where a pharma company has suffered a massive financial loss with another drug that tanked due to emerging health risks (I won't name names) . If there's nothing else in the pipeline, efforts then turn to whatever drug is going to bring in the numbers. I am not wholly 'against' Big Pharma either - but they are there to make money before anything else.

Yes, it's important to do your own research and read the reputable studies from reputable sources (eg. the NEJM). I wouldn't rely on a doctor's opinion quite honestly. They are less informed than you'd think, particularly when it comes to new meds/vaccines. Their 'continued health education' on these drugs and the disease area is paid for by the pharma companies - who obviously have a vested interest in how the drugs are perceived. There are many excellent vaccinations (particularly in childhood) but people need to think about the electives and adult vaccinations and the effect it has on the immune system and the very real potential for autoimmune disorders. It's a personal decision but it's important to know the benefits vs risks with each one. When those informed decisions are made, I don't believe that physicians (or even vets for that matter) should keep trying to force it.
The Linebacker
0 likes
The US government has been pushing states to make the HPV vaccine a requirement. I disagree with government interference. It should be an individuals' decision. The government should not have control of our bodies and decisions involving our bodies.

As for as disease risk, so what? Life is a risk. Life is not any fun without taking risks.

Eat More Pussy!
Sophisticate
0 likes
DD, I agree with almost everything you have said. In the end, the decision belongs to each one of us. No one can force us to have shots that we don't want. My point was to be aware of our sources of information in making an intelligent decision.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

pretty much nobody here has EVER accused me of being mature.

Many things happen for the 1 st time In the life dear..smile
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks everyone for giving such a nice response,,,,if anyone's feelings got hurt then I am really sorry!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it is a good idea to talk about any health risk, if the discussion is well informed and based on facts. But this opening statement was very vague and not at all helpful.

I don't think that HPV poses a big threat to men. As far as I know there are very few cases of oral cancer on men caused by it. Furthermore to claim that there is no risk for women performing oral sex is very uninformed. Actually the risk should be about the same, because men can also transmit the virus. Furthermore there have been cases of Gonorrhea and other sexual transmitted diseases found as infections in the oral area on both men and women. The first post read to me like an excuse for men not to go down.

Moving on to the HPV vaccine, I have been given that vaccine a few years ago and so have most of my friends. I have not heard of any cases in which the vaccine caused serious side effects or death. I believe you should inform yourself about the vaccine, talk about it with your doctor and then make an informed decision.