PM Dating Spam Warning - this is NOT sanctioned by LS

last reply
33 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm bringing this to everyone's attention, because we will NEVER message people about other sites, particularly dating ones. People seem to successfully use this site as one anyway!

There's been a few accounts created recently, which are set up to spam members, with a particular dating site (the rogue affiliate promoting them, has been reported to the owners of the program).

The message looks something like this, and masquerades as having something to do with our site. It doesn't.

This is simply a spammer trying their luck, pretending to be affiliated with lushstories.com.

Please report the message and delete it. Clicking wouldn't be a smart idea!

Sent: 06 Nov 2016 16:44
To: ********************
Subject: Do you love sex?

Hi)) I love sex and want to talk to you about it. But I hate to chat on multiple sites.
If you want, find me here: http://**REMOVED**/lushstories-dating

My nickname there is thirstage ;)

Don't worry, REGISTRATION IS FREE))
------------------------------------------
http://**REMOVED**/lushstories-dating
------------------------------------------
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yep had lots of them and remarkably they're all stunning!!! Normally i get a chat request rather than a message
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
They obviously don't know what we do to spammers on here.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by besub4me
Normally I get a chat request rather than a message

Me too, every time I go visible
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by elude
Me too, every time I go visible

If you, and others who encounter these spammers, report them, we will snuff them out a lot quicker.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who try and leech off popular sites like this, and there's little we can do about it, other than react as fast as we can.

EDIT: It would probably be a good idea if we add a "spam" or other appropriate symbol, on the online chat and black box interfaces, with a confirmation pop up (in case you press the button by accident).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I got one fro someone that said her name was eanne and it said same thing
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

If you, and others who encounter these spammers, report them, we will snuff them out a lot quicker.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who try and leech off popular sites like this, and there's little we can do about it, other than react as fast as we can.

EDIT: It would probably be a good idea if we add a "spam" or other appropriate symbol, on the online chat and black box interfaces, with a confirmation pop up (in case you press the button by accident).

In the meantime, is it best to use the "Report profile" button?
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Candyman
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
In the meantime, is it best to use the "Report profile" button?

Yes.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Lurker
0 likes
"Sulampling" sent a link that directed to Ashley Madison, a site notorious for fake women profiles.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
When I receive these I report them immediately. It's the only way this shit can be stopped. This is why the "Report Message" is available as well.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I clicked on the link and I recognized at least three fat girls in my area that were down to fuck with no credit card or sign up needed.

It's not entirely a scam, just saying
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I clicked on the link and I recognized at least three fat girls in my area that were down to fuck with no credit card or sign up needed.

It's not entirely a scam, just saying

You're a shocker.

Gav has added a few more filters so bad temp email domain services can be blocked prior to signup. It all helps in eradicating parasites.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you I appreciate this notification, I have been getting quite a few of them also, and debated creating a trash folder to keep them in or deleting. Now that I see there is a policy in effect, I shall follow the policy and comply with directions.
Perlengpa was a frequent violator... the others were deleted.
My apologies.

My universe may not necessarily agree with your's, but you have every right that you live happily in both.
Respect mine and I will respect yours. I fought and risked death for the right to be whom I am, even if I am clueless as to whom that may be.
I do not like the dark spots in My brain, but the spider webs are even worse.
Combat Veteran covers a vast arena, third degree burns from friendly fire with a disgruntled shipmate, stab wound from someone who felt is was permissible to hit a Lady with a twelve pack of alcohol; hit by a pickup truck by an individual on heroin. Was very quick to disabuse them of those ideas. Its all about control, only need physical contact in approximately 7 points of the body to enact terminal velocity upon those vermin.
Lurker
0 likes
Glad this is noticed. I've been reporting a lot of them and I usually get 1 a day from blank anon accounts. I guess they got tired of filling out the profile and putting up pics like they used to.
Idk... Gryffindor?
0 likes
Been wondering. They seem fond of using the chat windows. Constantly with this "Hi, you really intrigued me. Let's chat more and get to know each other. Are you up for some fun?" All along the same vein of "look, you can cyber here or watch cams."
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I've reported three, the first one three weeks ago, the other two earlier this week. But I noticed the profiles are still there, perhaps still spamming other members even. May I ask why it takes so long? Too many reports or a lot of time needed to verify whether the report is valid perhaps?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by noll
I've reported three, the first one three weeks ago, the other two earlier this week. But I noticed the profiles are still there, perhaps still spamming other members even. May I ask why it takes so long? Too many reports or a lot of time needed to verify whether the report is valid perhaps?

There isn't any real urgency in deleting these users. As you report these messages Callisto will verify them and schedule them for deletion. However as soon as they realise their account has been removed they will refresh their IP and sign-up again. I would rather let them think their account is active and still sending these spam messages, but internally silently deleting them before they are received.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I'm bringing this to everyone's attention, because we will NEVER message people about other sites, particularly dating ones. People seem to successfully use this site as one anyway!

There's been a few accounts created recently, which are set up to spam members, with a particular dating site (the rogue affiliate promoting them, has been reported to the owners of the program).

The message looks something like this, and masquerades as having something to do with our site. It doesn't.

This is simply a spammer trying their luck, pretending to be affiliated with lushstories.com.

Please report the message and delete it. Clicking wouldn't be a smart idea!

I'm being flooded with them. they come as comments to my stories. since I have a lot of stories I'm getting flooded.l
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by gav
There isn't any real urgency in deleting these users. As you report these messages Callisto will verify them and schedule them for deletion. However as soon as they realise their account has been removed they will refresh their IP and sign-up again. I would rather let them think their account is active and still sending these spam messages, but internally silently deleting them before they are received.

OK, clear. Thx!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by mranonymous7
I'm being flooded with them. they come as comments to my stories. since I have a lot of stories I'm getting flooded.l

I just checked your most recent ten stories and couldn't see any.

Could you send us a list? We'll clean them up for you.
Code Monkey
0 likes
As you can see I've added the captcha validation to send a friend and PM requests. Let's see if this stops or at least slows them down.

I hope we don't get to the point of having to remove the free bronze membership to stop these spammers. However I'm seeing lots of people leave the site because of them. Its not a great look having these messages being circulated through your internal systems.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by gav
As you can see I've added the captcha validation to send a friend and PM requests. Let's see if this stops or at least slows them down.

I hope we don't get to the point of having to remove the free bronze membership to stop these spammers. However I'm seeing lots of people leave the site because of them. Its not a great look having these messages being circulated through your internal systems.

I saw this earlier and wondered what it was about. Nice to know it was your magic once again Gav. Thank you!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Seems like a great idea, even if the reason is unfortunate and it makes messages a little more cumbersome to send.

There may be things I'm not considering, but is the captcha validation necessary within an existing PM thread? That is, once an original PM has been validated with the captcha, maybe all subsequent replies within the same thread don't need it?
Thanks!
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

Seems like a great idea, even if the reason is unfortunate and it makes messages a little more cumbersome to send.

There may be things I'm not considering, but is the captcha validation necessary within an existing PM thread? That is, once an original PM has been validated with the captcha, maybe all subsequent replies within the same thread don't need it?
Thanks!

Whats a fabulous idea, I'll add that in now. Thanks OR!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Might want to add a captcha to the sign up page.

By my reckoning you've had over 3000 new fake accounts set up today alone - if they all start spamming at once the server's going to grind to a halt
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
0 likes
3000? Eek! I'm getting 2-4 fakes a day at the board I admin and we're worrying about it. But 3000? We'd probably have to shut down. Our active membership is under 100.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Might want to add a captcha to the sign up page.

By my reckoning you've had over 3000 new fake accounts set up today alone - if they all start spamming at once the server's going to grind to a halt

It's been there for a few weeks. Unfortunately, the captcha only halted the spammer briefly. Surprising, considering google designed it.

We will be implementing further measures in the coming weeks.

This type of thing happens on all large, successful sites, particularly "adult" ones. One I know, with 5 million + members, no longer accepts new members, unless they confirm who they are, via mobile phone verification, or are referred by a friend.

Spammers don't care about the inconvenience caused to members of a helpful community like this, set up with the best intentions. They are happy for a few dollars here and there from the sponsors they promote (it's a good idea to report the spammers directly to the sponsor as they are often unaware, allegedly).

Like most parasites, they are but a minor irritation. It's just annoying you guys have to endure their spam too. We're always working on ways to eradicate it.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Find a plugin for your forum software that checks against stopforumspam. For small sites, it's a godsend that will weed out the bulk of spammer sign-ups.

My site is a little hole in the wall that's mostly me talking to myself, but the plugin has blocked over 4700 registrations this year — more than double last year. Which was more than double the year before. That's not even counting the registrations blocked by another plugin, those who never validate their email, those I catch because I have the time to check out every sign-up that makes it through, etc.

Quote by seeker4
3000? Eek! I'm getting 2-4 fakes a day at the board I admin and we're worrying about it. But 3000? We'd probably have to shut down. Our active membership is under 100.
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
Find a plugin for your forum software that checks against stopforumspam. For small sites, it's a godsend that will weed out the bulk of spammer sign-ups.

My site is a little hole in the wall that's mostly me talking to myself, but the plugin has blocked over 4700 registrations this year — more than double last year. Which was more than double the year before. That's not even counting the registrations blocked by another plugin, those who never validate their email, those I catch because I have the time to check out every sign-up that makes it through, etc.

We use Xenforo which has StopForumSpam built-in. I'm talking about what gets past StopForumSpam, it takes care of the vast majority of them. We tightened things up this summer but a few still slip past.