last reply
166 replies
23.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant
definitely YUMMY! (sited: http://www.theawl.com/2011/09/crack-brownies)

CRACKED BROWNIES (not crack brownies!! lol)

Turn your oven to 350 degrees.

In a 3- or 4-quart saucepan, melt a stick-and-a-half of butter with 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Since these are The Best Ever Brownies you should use the highest-quality chocolate (and butter!) that you can find, though I’ll whisper to you behind my hand that a batch I made using Baker’s, which is basically the Alpo of the unsweetened chocolate world, was met with oohs and aahs and a whole lot of paws surreptitiously darting toward the plate for just one more, I swear this is my last one OH MY GOD I CAN’T STOP WHAT IS IN THESE

Once those two things are melted, turn the heat off and move the pot to a cold burner to let it cool down for a spell.

Now stir in the following things:

A heaping ¼ cup of cocoa powder
2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour

When that’s all nicely mixed, pour the batter into a 8”x8” square pan that you’ve lined with greased foil such that the foil drapes over the edges of the pan.

That’s pretty much it, except for the secret part. The crack part. Have you guessed yet what it is?

It is salt.

But not just any salt. Maldon salt. Himalayan pink salt also works, as does Sel Gris. Kosher salt does not work; neither does table salt. You need rocks, Jenny from the block. About a teaspoon of ‘em, but kind of eyeball it, giving the top of the brownie batter a pretty good coating with the stuff. Once you’ve done that, put the pan in the oven, let everything bake for 30-35 minutes before cooling for one hour at room temperature, followed by one hour in the refrigerator. Cut them into 16ths.

Have you ever wondered what your friends look and sound like when they orgasm? Because fair warning: you’ll find out, and you should know that before you trot these babies out because it’s actually a really disturbing thing to know. (The silent ones freak me out the most.)

PA between this nd the Nutella Cheesecke i think i love you...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Spicy Carbonara-ish Pasta

Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook your pasta. I like linguini or bucitini.

In a large frying pan, render some panchetta thats been cut intonstrips of lardons over medium heat. Add a handful of frozen peas and coom for about 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and 2 finely minced cloves of garlic.

Beat two eggs wth a splash of cream. When the pasta is done, add it to the panand take everythng off the heat. Add beaten eggs and as much Franks Red Hot sauce as you dare. Toss the whole lot carefully together.

Grate over some grated parmaganio, salt and pepper.

Serve yourself, and whomever you're with. Tastes best after a crazy drunken nght, when this recipe was born.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
The Best Flank Steak Marinade (honest!!)

Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to Cook: 20
Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients

1/2 cup lite or low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (1 1/2 pound) beef flank steak

Directions

1. Combine everything but the steak in a shallow bowl. Mix well. Add steak to bowl and coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight (you can get away with 6-8 hours if needed, but overnight really does add a lot more flavor)
2. Cook on outdoor grill on medium to high heat. Grill for 7 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness.

Number of Servings: 6
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1/2C chopped onion. 1/2C chopped green pepper. 2T dried celery leaves. 1/2t pepper. 1t Worchestershire. 1/2 C stale bread, cubed. 1 LB ground beef. 1 egg. Muxxie it up Stuff in oven at 350F for 1 hour or so. Instant meatloaf. It's what's for dinner.".

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I made a double batch of this over a weekend and gave quart jars to family and friends. It is quite good and is super when well chilled. The next batch I make I will try whipped cream vodka.

Grandma's Apple Pie 'Ala Mode' Moonshine

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 25 Minutes

Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Servings: 46

"Apple cider and apple juice are simmered with sweeteners and seasonings to blend with grain alcohol and vanilla-flavored vodka to make a cold, apple-flavored adult beverage."

Ingredients:

1/2 gallon apple juice

1/2 gallon apple cider

4 cinnamon sticks

1 whole clove

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

3 cups 190 proof grain alcohol (such as

Everclear®)

2 cups vanilla vodka

Directions:

1.Bring the apple cider, apple juice, cinnamon stick, whole clove, white sugar, and brown sugar together in a large potand bring to boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.

2.Stir the grain alcohol and vanilla vodka into the cooled mixture. Pour into bottles and refrigerate.

Addition:
3. Boiled jars to seal in canning.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com

Printed from Allrecipes.com 5/16/2012
0 likes
Oven-roasted Pulled Pork Sandwiches
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Serving Size: 12

Ingredients:

Dry Rub:
* 3 tablespoons paprika
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon dry mustard
* 3 tablespoons coarse salt
* 1 (5 to 7 pound) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt
Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:
* 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
* 1 cup yellow or brown mustard
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 garlic cloves, smashed
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 12 hamburger buns
* 1 recipe Spicy Slaw, recipe follows
* Pickle spears

Directions:

Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Put the pork in a roasting pan and bake for about 6 hours. Basically, roast the pork until it's falling apart and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F.

To make the barbecue sauce: combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves.

Remove the pork roast from the oven and transfer to a large platter. Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. While still warm, take 2 forks and "pull" the meat to form shreds. Using 2 forks, shred the pork by steadying the meat with 1 fork and pulling it away with the other. Put the shredded pork in a bowl. Pour 1/2 of the sauce on the shredded pork and mix well to coat.

To serve, spoon the pulled pork mixture onto the bottom 1/2 of the hamburger bun, and top with the spicy slaw. Serve with pickle spears and the remaining sauce on the side.

Notes:

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
24 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
6 hr 0 min
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
For holiday party time... I'm not usually into "cute food", but these are fun and low-cal healthy too.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shrimp Etouffee

3 tbsp oil or butter and 3 tbsp of flour (with all cajun dishes, first your make a roux)
The Holy Trinity (diced onion, celery, green or red pepper)
1/4 cupParsley
3 lbs shrimp
water or stock, approx 2 cups
salt and pepper
Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's is best but Zatarain's or Slap Yo Mama will work)
Tabasco
Rice

Brown the oil/margarine and flour. Stirring constantly until light brown
Stir in the Holy Trinity and let brown
Add shrimp and water/seafood stock
Add parsley
Salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, Tabasco, to taste
Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Serve or rice and enjoy

also... some people like tomatoes in their etouffee. Adding a can or Ro-Tel can be used.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
0 likes
Lemon-Buttermilk Bundt Cake

Ingredients
· 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
· 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 2 teaspoons kosher salt
· 2 1/2 cups sugar
· Finely grated zest of 8 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
· 4 large eggs
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 3/4 cup apricot or peach preserves
· 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Preparation
· Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour Bundt pan; set aside. Whisk baking powder, salt, and 3 cups flour in a medium bowl. Combine sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl; using your fingertips, rub together until lemon sugar is well blended.
· Add 1 cup butter to lemon sugar. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions and occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula, until mixture is light and very fluffy, about 4 minutes longer.
· Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
· Bake cake until golden brown and beginning to pull away from sides of pan, 60-70 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto rack; remove pan and let cool completely. DO AHEAD: Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
· Combine preserves and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until glaze is reduced to 1/2 cup, 6-8 minutes. Strain glaze into a small pitcher or bowl; discard solids in strainer. Pour glaze over cooled cake and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
0 likes

There is nothing like a lazy and VERY WARM Sunday, when you have a meal cooking all day in the crock pot and the aroma of food is in the air (or coming home from work on a weeknight and having dinner ready when you get home). it is great over rice, with multi-grain chips, topped with grated cheddar cheese. This makes a lot and it is even better the next day for lunch!

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with grated cheese (and sour cream).
0 likes
Cinco de Mayo Drink .... Cheers!!

Makes one ... so double this baby up ...

2 1/2 oz white tequila
1 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz lime juice

Shake well with lots of ice. Strain into glass. Garnish with fresh lime wedge if desired.

(to be honest, I made a pitcher ... hehehe)
0 likes

Lemon Almond Cake

Ingredients

Wet:

4 eggs
¾ cup light tasting olive oil
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
¼ cup crème fraiche* (or whipping cream)

Dry:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
In another bowl, combine lemon juice, zest and crème fraiche and set aside.
In stand mixer (or with hand mixer), beat eggs until light and fluffy.
While still beating, slowly stream in oil until combined.
Alternate beating dry and wet ingredients into egg mixture until combined.
Beat for 30 more seconds.
Let batter stand for 15 minutes.
Add to well-greased 8-inch cake pan.
Bake in centre of oven for 5 minutes before reducing heat to 325°F for remaining 30-35 minutes.
Allow cake to fully cool before adding toppings.

Topping

Ingredients

¾ cup of crème fraiche*, whipped (or whipping cream)
3 tbsp of granulated sugar
Blackberries
Toasted, slivered almonds

Instructions

Whip crème fraiche until medium peaks.
Add sugar and whip until stiff peaks.
Use to top cake along with blackberries and almonds.
*Crème fraiche is a more decadent form of sour cream. Just like whipping cream, it can be whipped into a light and airy accoutrement. You can find it by the sour cream in almost any grocery store.
0 likes

BALSAMIC GLAZED SALMON

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

Balsamic Rosemary Glaze
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup white wine
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, divided
1 cloves garlic, finely minced

Salmon
4 (6 oz) salmon fillets

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil, divided

Directions

Allow salmon to rest 10 minutes at room temperature. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine balsamic vinegar, white wine, honey, dijon mustard, 1/2 Tbsp of the chopped rosemary and the garlic. Heat mixture over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 13 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof dish (using a rubber spatula to get it all out) and allow to cool.

Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil. Once pan and oil are hot, add 2 salmon fillets and cook, without moving, until salmon has nicely browned on bottom, about 3 - 5 minutes. Carefully flip salmon to opposite side and continue to cook 3 - 5 minutes longer until bottom is browned and salmon has cooked through. Rest in a warm oven (don't rest it in a hot oven, you don't want to continue to cook it. If you have two skillets (or one large one), cook all of the salmon at once. If cooking salmon in batches, wipe skillet clean, add remaining 1 tsp oil, and once hot, repeat process with remaining 2 salmon fillets.

Serve immediately, drizzling each fillet with balsamic rosemary glaze and sprinkling tops with remaining 1/2 Tbsp of rosemary.
0 likes
I think this thread should be moved to the Gourmet Section.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
I think this thread should be moved to the Gourmet Section.

Done!

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Chili Rellano Rice Cakes

1) 2 – 3 cups rice, cooked
2) 4 eggs
3) 1 __ ounce can mild green chilies
4) ½ - ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
5) ½ teaspoon salt, more/less to taste
6) Butter, for frying

1) In a large bowl add first 5 ingredients, mix well.
2) Melt small amount of butter in a skillet.
3) Spoon about ¾ cup of mixture into hot skillet, making 3 or 4 cakes.
4) Cook until nice cakes are a nice golden brown and egg is mostly set.
5) Flip and cook until second side is nicely golden.
6) Repeat with remaining mixture.
7) Serve with a pat of butter for each cake.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cinnamon Strawberry Shortcake

Shortcake:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut up
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons milk

1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg, sour cream, and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
2) Drop dough into eight mounds on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.

Cinnamon Simple Syrup:

2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

1) In a small sauce pan combine all ingredients. Heat carefully over medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved and water is hot. Remove from heat, let cool.
2) Remove cinnamon sticks. Store in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator.

Cinnamon Vanilla Whipped Cream:

1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1) Whip together all ingredients until desired stiffness.

Slice or quarter fresh strawberries; about ½ cup for each shortcake.

Cinnamon Strawberry Shortcake

Putting it all together:

1) Cut top, a ¼ to ½ way down, off of the shortcake; set top aside.
2) Layer strawberries on cut side of the bottom part of the shortcake.
3) Drizzle with cinnamon simple syrup.
4) Add a large doll-up of cinnamon vanilla whipped cream.
5) Lay the top part of the shortcake against the side of the strawberries, or set on top.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Not my recipe, but I saw this on YouTube and thought it was amazing. Plus, I really enjoyed the commentary...that might have been my favorite part. Finally a cook I can relate to!

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
dedicated to John ...

Lurker
0 likes
Just saw this video. Cookies for Valentine's Day. So much fun