Best job interview tip?

last reply
34 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What is your best tip for going into a job interview?

Any type of interview, entry level or professional
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dress professionally (no less than slacks, dress shirt, and tie), smile, shake hands firmly (not the dead fish handshake) while looking the person in the eye.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Sophisticate
0 likes
Dress professionally. Arrive a little early. Maintain eye contact with your interviewers. Do some research on the company before your interview so that you can ask some intelligent questions, as is usual at the end of the interview. Don't say trite things like "I am a people person." Be ready to back up your abilities with examples of how you used them successfully for your employers. Listen carefully.
Classified
0 likes
Make sure you've brushed your teeth!
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Dress nicely. Be well groomed. Clean nails if you're a guy...or get a manicure. Natural or neutral manicure if you're a lady. Same goes for makeup (neutral, I mean). No gaudy jewelry. No overbearing cologne or perfume. Fresh breath. No gum. Eat a mint beforehand.

Also, do research about the company you're planning on working for beforehand, especially if you don't know much about it to begin with. And when it gets to the part where they ask you if you have any questions, you can reveal what you know by way of asking questions about the company.

But don't say, "I've done some research, and blah blah blah [insert question here]...?" You should say something along the lines of, "I understand the company is blah blah blah, and [insert question here]...?"

Interviewers love that shit.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Head Nurse
0 likes
Dress the part: dont wear club wear, dont wear ratty jeans. In fact, if you come to my interview like that, I can assure you I wont hire you.

Plan ahead, look at the company, read their mission statement. When you are questioned later, you can tweak your answers accordingly.

think about all your good points. An interview is your time to sell yourself. So when I ask you questions tell me all the great details about yourself, and better yet, use examples to illustrate those points. "I remember this one time (insert problem that relates here*, I (insert the action you did to help) and (insert the result)." This shows experience, and critical thinking skills while selling you.

Smile. Again, you are selling yourself, and nothing sells better then a smile.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Professional attire regardless of the position.

On time, it means be there early. It means no excuse. It means you foresee any problem you could encounter, bridges closed, strikes.. anything that could interfere by you being there on time (again.. early) On top of being tense and worried, do you need the aggravation of being late? That is if you still have the interview. Have you watched “The Out of Towners” starring Jack Lemmon?

Don’t talk, just answer questions.

When you do (briefly) talk, tell what you can do for them.

All of this (relaxed) while only looking at the person eyes. Windows, desk and walls do not exist or you’re cooked.

Keep your hands down, don’t bring them to your hair and/or face.

Smile, not those that only the lips move. Don't smirk.

Good Luck
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In addition to all the above, make sure you tell the interviewer you have a sense of humour.
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
All of the advice above is very good. I just want to add if you wear a wrist watch take it off of your wrist and put it in your pocket. The only thing that matters during the interview is the interview. Looking at the watch isn't good.

Also, if you have a cell phone remember to put it on vibrate before the interview.
Mazztastic
0 likes
I recently saw this, which I thought quite sensible...

okay, replaced the image - see how that looks...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Suggest you'll suck the interviewers cock if he hires you.

Worked for me more then once :P
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Longredhair

Yeah, I remember it well.

Another technique to be remembered is once you enter stand for a brief moment in the doorway - creates a mental frame in their mind.

And before you leave ask them: "How'd you feel how the interview went?

You'll know immediately if you got the job or at least in the running if they sit back and smile and say anything positive about you and it. If they struggle to come up with an answer it usually ain't gonna happen.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Many great suggestions here... Of course you cant do them all, but pick the ones that your comfortable with and come naturally... If your stiff and uncomfortable it will show very clearly...
My best advise is to have the confidence that this job is for you... Dress that way, walk that way and speak that way... Always remember there is a fine line between confidence and being a cocky, arrogant prick... Most importantly be yourself...
Oh and when sitting in a chair, remember all the way back in the seat, back straight and feet flat on the floor...Feel free to lean forward towards the interviewer when talking and trying to make a point... Good Luck!
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Classified
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
I recently saw this, which I thought quite sensible...

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by principessa
Dress professionally. Arrive a little early. Maintain eye contact with your interviewers. Do some research on the company before your interview so that you can ask some intelligent questions, as is usual at the end of the interview. Don't say trite things like "I am a people person." Be ready to back up your abilities with examples of how you used them successfully for your employers. Listen carefully.

This

And....

1. Keep your CV brief and to the point. Employers hate reading detailed job descriptions. It is boring and timewasting. We already know the responsibilities and we will go into detail during the interview.

2. Be honest. Employers use Google too and also do there own checks.

3. Don't waffle or babble on
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Sophisticate
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen

This

And....

1. Keep your CV brief and to the point. Employers hate reading detailed job descriptions. It is boring and timewasting. We already know the responsibilities and we will go into detail during the interview.

2. Be honest. Employers use Google too and also do there own checks.

3. Don't waffle or babble on

Absolutely to all of the above. Try to keep your CV to one concise page. You can always add that further background will be provided on request if your work history is a long one. It is your more recent experience that is of interest to prospective employers.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by principessa

Absolutely to all of the above. Try to keep your CV to one concise page. You can always add that further background will be provided on request if your work history is a long one. It is your more recent experience that is of interest to prospective employers.

Also, when writing your resume, utilize action verbs.

An exert from mine for example:

Registered Nurse Supervisor/Risk Manager 4/2011-11/2012

Organize staffing
Manage patient care
Maintain compliance with state regulations while performing as Risk Manager

Assistant Director of Nursing 11/2012-present

Identify At Risk Patients and anticipate their needs
Maintain compliance
Communicate between nursing staff and administration.
Provide leadership and training to new staff members
Lurker
0 likes
I know it's been said, but dress professionally.

Other things I've encountered when interviewing applicants leads me to recommend that you not ramble on about how nervous you are, tell personal details about your relationships, bad mouth previous employers, or respond with "I have no idea." Be succinct and confident, but don't act like a know it all.
Lurker
0 likes
Also, don't be a name dropper...that's so tacky.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Longredhair

I interviewed a few people in my lie, but this never happened to me... sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Accidentally "find" a couple hundred dollar bills on the floor and ask the interviewer, "Did you drop these? "

Might not help, but it might not hurt, either.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never Brag About Being A War Veteran!!!
Lurker
0 likes
Confidence and self-belief. Enthusiasm to want to work for the organisation. Present yourself well and smile! Prepare to ask appropriate questions at the end, such as career development and training opportunities.

Best of luck!
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy
Confidence and self-belief. Enthusiasm to want to work for the organisation. Present yourself well and smile! Prepare to ask appropriate questions at the end, such as career development and training opportunities.

Best of luck!

I think you missed a few things from your own recent experience..
Lurker
0 likes
Attention to detail on your CV and covering letter will help get you the interview (miss spelling and typos etc put most people off).

In the interview, don't be too over confident, or too shy. I would rather choose a shy person who does come out of their shell once they are comfortable than a blabber mouth.

Do a bit of research into the job and company, but don't show off, use this knowledge to help answer any questions and demonstrate how you could fit the job.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Longredhair

lol always works when you apply at a strip club
Lurker
0 likes
I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I've had three job interviews in my entire life and I got all three jobs. Not boasting, just saying... smile

1) When they ask you why you're leaving your old job never say anything like; 'I didn't get on with so-and-so.' You'll sound like a drama/trouble creater and that's not a good look.

2) Never insult your current boss. Just don't.

3) When they say; 'Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years time?' you don't say; 'Starting my own business'. This applies for professional jobs only. Basically, if you get an interview at a big firm, they want to hear you say you'd like to advance THERE, not take the knowledge they give you to start an (albeit small) competitor.

4) If they ask; 'Did you tell your boss you were coming here for an interview?', don't boast about the lies you told. Say something generic, like; 'I asked for time off but didn't specify why.'

5) Be happy and optimistic. You want to give a positive vibe.
0 likes
There have been some amazing points here and I would echo them.

It has been brought up before and I will reiterate it again. Do your research on the hiring company and type a list and bring it with you to the interview of 15 - 20 questions you have for the hiring manger and their organization. Try your best to ask all of them (if they haven't already been answered during the course of the interview).

Be specific about the organizations policies, procedures and code of conduct to get them thinking that you really are interested in the company. Trust me, the more questions you ask, the better the interview will go.
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]