Permanent-links for co-written stories

last reply
57 replies
3.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I've co-written three stories that are currently posted on my co-writers page. I also have two more in the works hat I am equally excited about. Generally, I defer to my old fashioned upbringing and prefer that these ladies get the honor of posting them and I have them now favorited on my page.

What I was wondering is, would it be possible to somehow code a permanent link with which we could identify and display co-written tales? Nothing so advanced as our own story list, but maybe similar to my amazon e-book links?

I think this would increase the awareness of such co written works as well as encourage writers to work together.

Maybe we could even have a story category for co written stories. (Nicola is gonna kill me for that one )
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
I've co-written three stories that are currently posted on my co-writers page. I also have two more in the works hat I am equally excited about. Generally, I defer to my old fashioned upbringing and prefer that these ladies get the honor of posting them and I have them now favorited on my page.

What I was wondering is, would it be possible to somehow code a permanent link with which we could identify and display co-written tales? Nothing so advanced as our own story list, but maybe similar to my amazon e-book links?

I think this would increase the awareness of such co written works as well as encourage writers to work together.

Maybe we could even have a story category for co written stories. (Nicola is gonna kill me for that one )

My Co written story trilogy is my Absolute favorite piece of writing I have done hands down. (settle for nothing, part1) While I have no regrets sharing it with the world via my partner in crime's page (Delphi) I really would like to be able to have it linked in some way as well.

Shameless plug: Part 2!

And the less read conclusion
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I would love to see this happen also, as I have several stories with a handful of other author's. We have them split, though. I have a few, they have a few. But, it would be nice if we could somehow share equally.

I do know this has been asked to Gav and if I remember correctly, can't be done. But, I could be wrong, or mistaken.
Matriarch
0 likes
If someone can think of a way to do this, I'd be fine with it.

The trouble we have though, is that a story is allocated to one person's account. All the comments, votes, views and all the other data, are stored in that account.

The data needs to be stored somewhere.

I don't know what's possible, I guess something could be coded where co-written stories aren't allocated to one person's particular account, but a new "shared" account is created (on the back end, no profile created), and all the story data is stored in there.

Both authors would have the one shared story, the story snippet would go on both their profiles. Perhaps having their 2 avatars side by side at the top of the story page.

I fail to see the need to create a new category for them, there really aren't that many.

Someone should ask Gav nicely, to pop his head in here and tell us all the reasons it's not going to be possible!
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I was kind of kidding about a new genre'. Sometimes I just like to shake the tree a bit

As to the link, even just a space where we could just paste it, something like the e-book links that just have a picture and the story name would be super.

If I can think of anything else that will siphon off your valuable time and resources, I'll let you know...
(I'm just about certain Gav is gonna 'accidentally' delete me now.3pHZoZGEwWcDE81B )
Lurker
0 likes
Seeings how I am currently co-writing a story I am all for this idea. Hell I would be anyway.

If I can think of anything that hasn't already been said I'll pop my head back in here.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman

As to the link, even just a space where we could just paste it, something like the e-book links that just have a picture and the story name would be super.

(I'm just about certain Gav is gonna 'accidentally' delete me now.DOxImtM6Eff1D11e )

A link would be more than good enough for me smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would be very interested in this as well as I have co-written a few stories with other authors and always wanted to be able to put their name in the title along with Mine. If there is a way to do this so that both authors get named in the title that would be cool - as far as "credit" for the story (who gets the story count, votes, etc.) that is of little matter to Me. I just want it to say

Story Title
by
Master Jonathan and Other Author
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by MasterJonathan
I would be very interested in this as well as I have co-written a few stories with other authors and always wanted to be able to put their name in the title along with Mine. If there is a way to do this so that both authors get named in the title that would be cool - as far as "credit" for the story (who gets the story count, votes, etc.) that is of little matter to Me. I just want it to say

Story Title
by
Master Jonathan and Other Author

That *should* be easy enough.

What's stopping someone from pretending they wrote a story with someone else though? I guess you'd need to have some kind of verification in place, whereby the linked to person, accepts their inclusion.

That also doesn't solve the issue of people receiving an RR or EP. Only one person would get the award.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by nicola

What's stopping someone from pretending they wrote a story with someone else though? I guess you'd need to have some kind of verification in place, whereby the linked to person, accepts their inclusion.

That also doesn't solve the issue of people receiving an RR or EP. Only one person would get the award.

I would think the linked author (like above) could be verified like the "in a relationship with" bit. If the resulting link resulted in the same sort of link that appears in the categories, I would think that would show the award on the co authors page.

I don't know, just throwing ideas out hoping something will be relatively easy to add.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I would think any EP or RR would be credited to the person who submitted it. That would be fine with me. After thinking about it, I could probably accomplish what I was thinking by putting the story link in my bio. I wonder if the generator at bannerfans would have a compatible link?

Edit. I gave it a quick try but the bio doesn't let the link become active.
I should think that something similar to a forum banner would suffice? Even if someone tried to 'take credit' for someone else's work, it would be nothing more than a link. No credit would be given in the story and no scores or views would be recorded in his profile.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Let's keep it simple. The submitter of the story gets credits for views, comments any derived badges and competition prizes. The submitter can add one or more contributors to their story, these are simply links to their respective profile pages. They are free to add or remove contributing authors at anytime without moderation. The co-writer will receive an automatic PM when they are added to a story.

Later on we can add a section to profiles showing which other stories they have co-written.

I dont see any value for the reader to have a separate category for co-written stories, sorry MR!
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by gav
Let's keep it simple. The submitter of the story gets credits for views, comments any derived badges and competition prizes. The submitter can add one or more contributors to their story, these are simply links to their respective profile pages. They are free to add or remove contributing authors at anytime without moderation. The co-writer will receive an automatic PM when they are added to a story.

Later on we can add a section to profiles showing which other stories they have co-written.

I dont see any value for the reader to have a separate category for co-written stories, sorry MR!

At present, co-authored stories are not eligible for competitions.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by gav

Fantastic! Why to go Gav!

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Coco

At present, co-authored stories are not eligible for competitions.

That will remain the case, it could give someone an unfair advantage.
0 likes
Haven't co-authored anything yet but nice to know that there are options if/when I do. I'm a bit of loner, though.
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by gav

Awesome, awesome idea!

Where do we go about adding them? I looked around and didn't see anything, and I have a Scottish broad totally on my assend to get this done.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by CurlyGirly

Awesome, awesome idea!

Where do we go about adding them? I looked around and didn't see anything, and I have a Scottish broad totally on my assend to get this done.

Yes missy!!!!

*stamps feet impatiently!*

Ha ha ha!

I do think the co author thing is awesome!
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by gav

Wooo hoo!!!
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by gav

Wooo hoo!!!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
for a small fee, anyone who PMs me in the next 24 hours can be the co-author of a story i've written of their choice. (yes, i really AM trying to get fired. this is a crap job, anyways. my boss is mean, my co-workers call me 'fairy bitch' behind my back, and the pay SUCKS. plus, people are mean to me! now, where the hell did that case of tequila go...?).

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
for a small fee, anyone who PMs me in the next 24 hours can be the co-author of a story i've written of their choice. (yes, i really AM trying to get fired. this is a crap job, anyways. my boss is mean, my co-workers call me 'fairy bitch' behind my back, and the pay SUCKS. plus, people are mean to me! now, where the hell did that case of tequila go...?).

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk.

The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words every three years."

The man agreed and after the first 3 years, the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"

"Food cold!" the man replied.

Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"

"Robe dirty!" the man exclaimed.

Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"

"I quit!" said the man.

"Well," the head monk replied, "I am not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!"
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk.

The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words every three years."

The man agreed and after the first 3 years, the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"

"Food cold!" the man replied.

Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"

"Robe dirty!" the man exclaimed.

Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"

"I quit!" said the man.

"Well," the head monk replied, "I am not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!"

can you imagine me taking a vow of silence? i'd explode in the first 6 minutes. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by sprite

My panties are in the mail. Can I please pretty please co author with you?
0 likes
I think co-authors should be allowed the option of equal credit, just as when listed in the story que, that two names instead of one would appear. I would like to see that personally.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I don't wear panties but I'll get a pair and wear them before sending them , if that's what you want, if you'll take me!

Or I could get you a new pair from Frederick's and send them?

Pant, pant, pant!

The idea sounds good and codeine it shouldn't be a huge problem. I agree with the not-for-competition though.
I am always a gentleman.
Code Monkey
0 likes
This feature is now up.

Let me know if you have any feedback or want anything changed (especially if you spot any of my spooling mistakes).
Lurker
0 likes
Cool. . .no way! You're awesome Gav. . .I've gotta go tell my friend.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

That will remain the case, it could give someone an unfair advantage.

what about a competition with nothing but co-Authored stories?

Would be a nice way to get authors to work together.
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Suck it up, fairy bitch. There, I said it to your face.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░