We Will Remember Them

last reply
20 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
At the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month…

"With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncountered:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

Laurence Binyon, For the Fallen (21st September, 1914)

We will remember them.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
This comedy series, "Blackadder Goes Forth", is routinely used in training our forces. It was smart, funny, cuttingly truthful in subtle ways, and very poignant. I am sharing the final scene for any who care to watch.

For any who do not know what Remembrance Day is about, and the poppy symbol, you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

For me, it is a day of grief, respect and honour, remembering those who fought and fight wars that the governments send our troops to, for our freedom. They give their lives that we may have ours.

I will remember them.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Site administrator
0 likes
Daisy .. I'm not very good with words sometimes but I would like to just say Thank You for the thread. Everyone should always remember ...
Lurker
0 likes
In memory of the thousands of Irishmen, (and their Comrades in Arms of many nations) who perished in The Great War.

An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939)

I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate,

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath,

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.

Thank you Daisy for commemorating the doomed brave of ALL nations on this day.

xx Stephen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When you go home
Tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow
We gave our today.
Lurker
0 likes
I remember my friends ,of my regiment who died in Bosnia ,and on the Falklands . My father who died from his wounds at the end of the last war and all those who have died fighting for our freedom .
Let no man forget what they have done for our freedom
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
Winston Churchill

We will remember them
11/11/11
Lurker
0 likes
Each Remembrance Day, I don't do anything special. However, its impossible to miss the ceremonies going on etc. and I do feel so sorry for all of those people, especially veterans of the wars who are still with us.

What strikes me most forcibly, however, and what people tend not to notice so much .. is the futility of war, every war. Nothing is gained by war. People are dying, as I type. Ultimately, DO WE EVER LEARN? It seems not.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I will Remember the 58195 names on the Wall (VietNam Memorial) in Washington DC
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by nymphonatalia
Each Remembrance Day, I don't do anything special. However, its impossible to miss the ceremonies going on etc. and I do feel so sorry for all of those people, especially veterans of the wars who are still with us.

What strikes me most forcibly, however, and what people tend not to notice so much .. is the futility of war, every war. Nothing is gained by war. People are dying, as I type. Ultimately, DO WE EVER LEARN? It seems not.

You don't have to agree with war to take a few moments to remember those who lost their lives in service of their countries. My views on war are not important here, but my family are, and those others who give and who lost their lives to save mine and protect others. They gave their lives that we might live. That is what I remember of them, and respect all our military and services for it, whether they be ambulance, fire or medical or aid folk, or the armed forces. They all give so we live.

I will remember them.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nymphonatalia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrA9HqPNlM

xx Steph
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

You don't have to agree with war to take a few moments to remember those who lost their lives in service of their countries. My views on war are not important here, but my family are, and those others who give and who lost their lives to save mine and protect others. They gave their lives that we might live. That is what I remember of them, and respect all our military and services for it, whether they be ambulance, fire or medical or aid folk, or the armed forces. They all give so we live.

I will remember them.

Shylass

I most certainly do remember everyone involved in war. Members of my own family died in war. It is not easy to forget that wars happened (though thankfully, my generation missed out WW1 and 2.) It's not easy to forget, as we look all around the world now, in the year of 2013 .. and what do we see?? MORE WAR. in MORE locations around the world. So what has been achieved? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wars are about empires, and wealth and oil and power. I have not seen our Prime Minister, David Cameron march to the front line of battle, to go to war. Nor have I seen President Bush, Reagan, or Obama go to the front line to take part in war. Nor have I seen Francois Hollande or Nicolas Sarcozy of France go to the front line of war. No ... because they would not. Despatch the teenage boys to do their filthy work. And die in the process .. or come home on stretchers, maimed and incapacitated, for evermore.

The futility of war sickens me. That said, I do not forget the wasteful, sinful, immoral loss of life that every family has experienced because of it, and will continue to experience it, as long as Joe Public thinks war is wonderfully liberating. Its NOT. And I wear a white Poppy, when I can get one ... as a conscientious objector.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by nymphonatalia

Shylass

I most certainly do remember everyone involved in war. Members of my own family died in war. It is not easy to forget that wars happened (though thankfully, my generation missed out WW1 and 2.) It's not easy to forget, as we look all around the world now, in the year of 2013 .. and what do we see?? MORE WAR. in MORE locations around the world. So what has been achieved? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wars are about empires, and wealth and oil and power. I have not seen our Prime Minister, David Cameron march to the front line of battle, to go to war. Nor have I seen President Bush, Reagan, or Obama go to the front line to take part in war. Nor have I seen Francois Hollande or Nicolas Sarcozy of France go to the front line of war. No ... because they would not. Despatch the teenage boys to do their filthy work. And die in the process .. or come home on stretchers, maimed and incapacitated, for evermore.

The futility of war sickens me. That said, I do not forget the wasteful, sinful, immoral loss of life that every family has experienced because of it, and will continue to experience it, as long as Joe Public thinks war is wonderfully liberating. Its NOT. And I wear a white Poppy, when I can get one ... as a conscientious objector.

I agree with you, but I don't wish to discuss the ins and outs of war in this thread. This is simply to the memory of those we lost. The Think Tank is there if you want to discuss it.

This was found in my grandad's belongings. We do not know who he was, as he is not a relation of ours. But we remember him.

Lurker
0 likes
Shylass ... Thank you for sharing ... and indeed I empathise with your memories. Which I hope I have made very clear to you, and whomever else is reading this.

As to your suggestion about the Think Tank and the implied suggestion that I should not air my views here ... I don't know why this subject is on a sex site anyway ... do you?
After all ... War is war ... Sex is sex ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrA9HqPNlM

xx Steph

Hi Steph ..

Thanks so much for that YouTube link ... I simply ADORE country/folk and I have never heard of the Unthanks ... but hey ... thanks (hehe) for that ... cos now Im gonna look out for their gigs ... absolutely superb music !!!! Are you a fan ???

Nat xoxox
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by nymphonatalia
Shylass ... Thank you for sharing ... and indeed I empathise with your memories. Which I hope I have made very clear to you, and whomever else is reading this.

As to your suggestion about the Think Tank and the implied suggestion that I should not air my views here ... I don't know why this subject is on a sex site anyway ... do you?
After all ... War is war ... Sex is sex ?

Lush is so much more than just a sex site to many people. If people can discuss their nails and politics, and what films they're watching, I see no problem with me wanting to share a simple thread where those who want to show some respect for the Fallen can do so, without having to discuss the ins and outs of it.

I started this thread as a simple memorial to those who died fighting for their people, regardless of how or why, other than that our governments sent them to do so. Do as you like, as you have. I don't care about what you think my thread should include. I wanted to simply remember those who are Fallen so that we have the freedom to bicker about what is and isn't allowed on this site.

And out of respect to those Fallen, I am now leaving my thread here, and you can do what you like. Again.

Devil's Advocate
0 likes
For those who stand up for what is right
For those who lay down their lives.

For those who will never come home
And for those who will forever wait for them.

Lest we forget.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
This should be taught in schools to make sure nobody forgets why so many innocent young men and women died to let us live our lives in freedom.