Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How responsible should writers be for how our content affects readers?

last reply
67 replies
5.3k views
4 watchers
20 likes
Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Hi,

I'm quite late to this discussion as it was posted almost a year ago. I thought I'd make a contribution from the perspective of someone who had several life experiences that are well beyond the denominator "uncomfortable". It may sound like I'm taking it to the extreme and going off-topic, but from all the replies I gather the underlying theme is sensitivity and personal responsibility, so please hear me out.

I do sometimes have a visceral negative response to different topics, which you may easily call a "trigger" (a term that is being thrown around quite liberately these days).

I'm also a social worker by profession and I stand in direct contact with individuals on a daily basis, that have had traumatizing experiences and therefore avoid certain subjects and thoughts because they are, in any degree, difficult or unbearable. The key word here is avoidance as a coping strategy. It is developed to handle daily life and find quality of life. However, complete avoidance is never guaranteed 100%.

As someone who knows how that feels I can say without any doubt that after being shaken by certain (heavy) topics in film, literature, and journalism, I developed the goal to be able to withstand any and all triggers; I wanted to be a person that can deal with a painful subject and not crumble under the weight of its truth.

Firstly, it is not my rightful place to impose any demands on other people that certain subjects are off the table. I don't ask anyone to protect me, because I'm not a child.

Secondly, I feel all the stronger for it. It means that pain (an integral part of life) is not turned into suffering. Not everyone with scars should stay a victim forever.

Like Stacyshubby says, don't bubble wrap everything. Or like AvidlyCurious says: own your issues,dude!

Adding to this, the young man in question sounds immature, thinskinned and is likely projecting, shedding his guilt and shifting the blame.

No need to censor yourself apart from the reasonable guidelines set by the founder. By the way, in that light, the argument that it is fiction and therefore justifiable content is irrelevant, as certain fiction is prohibited on here, ergo not a self-explanatory term.

The question seems to rise if the following statement is true: "blackmail = coercion = non-consent = a form of "? That's a complex debate, perhaps not for this thread. I could send you some links but it doesn't make for light reading. I did read the story, and despite the pressure, the protaganist seems to have options to refuse, but doesn't. A situation like this would probably be viewed differently depending on where you live on this planet. It doesn't read like a morality tale at all, though. The revenge arch is in the mind of the antagonist, the karma seems to be in the colored opninion of the reader.

I hope I made any sense. Thank you for your amazing story telling.

"Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie." ~ Shakespeare.
Simple Scribbler
1 like

Thank you so much, GentleSoulDirtyMind! I bet you are a great social worker! Those who have been through it can usually empathize better than others. I admire your attitude and taking things into your own hands to learn to cope. ❤️ I have always told my son not to get angry if he struggles, but see them as an opportunity to learn and show how strong you are.

Thank you for reading about Felicia. After the first story, I decided I had to finish her story and the man's story she pegged, and wrote three more to bring closure to all. Hoped to maybe bring understanding that she had been hurt before and was fragile too ... sort of explain her crazy behavior, not justify, but explain.

I agree with your thought trail on blackmail too.

Thank you so much for your response. 😊

2 likes

This is how books get banned. People that find issues with stories that have been approved by moderators are fighting their own demons. Their own concepts of right from wrong. That doesn't meant they dictate right and wrong for all.

I've spoken to people here that are passionate and share deep desires that they don't feel safe sharing elsewhere. I've spoken to people that come here because they are trying to find peace while they are going through difficulties in relationships. I've spoken to people about communication skills and restoring the intimacy they have in their marriage. I've spoken to people that just really just are lonely and want social conversation.

There are a wide variety of people that come here. You write your story for you. If it is inappropriate for the site, the mods won't approve it. I write for me and I just share what I write.

I know I'm late to this conversation... but that is my two cents.

Sandra47

Sexy Seductive Siren
3 likes

If a reader is offended or bothered by a story, they have the right TO STOP READING the story. They DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to censor someone. For me, I find stories about incest (and a few other categories) to be morally wrong and offensive. I choose not to read stories in that category nor will ever write in that genre. My rights end when it affects the rights of others. I'm not control of what others write (or say in the forums). I can only control my response.

Meagan
Rookie Scribe
1 like

Omg I feel terrible adding to this two years later however I've just joined (sorry folks I forgot about Lush for 25 years or so then I remembered) but I'm sure many of you will know me from Lit or ASS usenet or even Rusty's BBS back in the day ...

I do feel authors have some responsibility but only if their story is so very good and realistic...

I need to give an example here ...I have been reading a rather fabulous tale here called Glamour Girl by Stormdog and its pretty good and seems very realistic but anyone reading this story and thinking that here is the blueprint for responsible non monogamy is heading for major trouble because the actual real true communication between the main protagonists is very poor and damaging. What's worse is it's like that almost from the very beginning and it does not get better (at least by Chapter 22 it doesn't). However the tale is so good and the couple so appealing and realistic that anyone reading this and thinking about enacting non-monogamy in their life would find the idea very appealing. And there lies the danger and responsibility.

As fiction this is fabulous, as any sort of guide its simply terrible.

If it was shit and didn't seem so damn appealing and realistic it wouldn't be any kind of issue but I think it flies pretty close which is I suppose about as high a compliment as an author can get from another on one hand.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I'm of two minds on this.

In the example Kimmi originally brought up, I agree with most of the people here — the dude was out of line. It's a piece of fiction. It's not on the author how people react to it.

On the flip side, I had a moment of clarity years ago that I was uncomfortable writing stories that didn't have clear consent. At the time I dabbled a bit in dubcon scenarios. They excited me then, and still do today. But I'm not comfortable writing them. I have no problem with the category existing, and I'm not here to yuck anyone's yum. But when I considered what I wanted to put into the world? I wanted stories featuring smart women making their own choices. Women who weren't just a subplot in someone else's story.

But I don't think that's about author responsibility so much as trying to be clear about what you want to put into the world.