I'm in my seventies, married for 50+ and would consider we had a normal, monogamous and active sex life for many years. I do not consider myself a stud, porno material or hung like a horse (well, seahorse possibly), just sort of average.
I had a vasectomy at, I think 33, or thereabouts: we had had a son and daughter by then and felt the family to be complete. My wife had an hysterectomy, in her early fifties I think (time clouds some memories), went on to HRT and as empty-nesters were, from memory very active, at least for us.
At 48 (I do remember this!) I had an episode of viral prostitis, which to this day I believe had other adverse effect on my endocrine system, and during my fifties, concurrent with my wife being on HRT, started to experience loss of erection, which I'd now recognize as an ED symptom. Viagra was just about heard of I think.
Over not too much time sexual activity decreased to the point of non-existence: I've tried to discuss this but the response is 'Can't be bothered'. Does little for my fragile ego.
Fortunately today there is the internet, and lovely lush has a lot of good erotica available. I have been reading erotica and porn from an early age, almost on a professional basis, I was an apprentice compositor/proof-reader in my early days, and we set and printed a lot of erotica and porn for the trade. I often had to reaf this in work, somewhat embarassing for an 18 yo virgin!
Chatting with other men and indeed a few ladies of shall we say senior years, I find this lack of sexual activity is not uncommon. Often the men say something like 'she's not interested', though the ladies more often say something to the effect 'my hubby/partner has a physical problem'. Conversely, I do know a few ladies in their sixties and seventies who are still sexually active (not with me I hasten to add).
That's the sort of preliminary intro BS and background, so the question (s).
Is this inevitable?
Do we (the men) stop having any appeal for our ladies and if so what can we do about it?
Do ladies' expectations and needs alter in a way we do not recognize?
Is this physical or mental or a combination of both?
What is the answer?
Hopefully there may be a few ladies out there who can elucidate.