Why Dominate?

last reply
10 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I've been wondering this for a while, and it really does irk me. Why use the word Dominate to refer to a person who Dominates you, when you really mean Dominant? Is it just me or does this just seem like a rather large oversight of many people on Lush? I've never seen it used anywhere but here, unless I'm not looking hard enough. Am I being a tad too pedantic with the English language? Would it not be better to just cut out all the hassle and shorten it to Dom? Curious minds wanna know, is all.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Oh Andrew, you and your wondering mind. To be honest, I'm not sure either. Some genius fixed me of my ways, but I do see it often. I'm not sure why people get it confused. I guess it's up there with to/too their/there/they're, you catch my drift. That's my guess.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't know either, Andrew! I've seen it so often I wondered if it was deliberate, but it irks me too.
Lurker
0 likes
Irks me too, I thought it was used by people who had no clue
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hmm... that is quite the question there, Andrew. I tend to want to try and give the person the benefit of the doubt and believe that they actually KNOW that Dom(me) is supposed to stand for, but in their haste to write, they forget /slip up and write Dominate, what said Dom(me) does, instead of Dominant/Domina (or whichever female derivative you'd prefer) which describes more accurately the personality/mindset of the Dom(me).

Just my opinion, but it still does irk me a bit to see Dom(me) not written out correctly when it is written out fully.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but that usually doesn't stop me from opening my mouth. Would it all depend on whether or not the word was being used as a verb or noun?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Choosiemamma
I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but that usually doesn't stop me from opening my mouth. Would it all depend on whether or not the word was being used as a verb or noun?

This is true, but in this case, I'm wondering why people would, for example, say "I love my Dominate," rather than "I love my Dominant", or even "I love my Dom." I know that isn't the best example, but I'm just out of bed. The actual act and usage of the terminology for that doesn't bother me. Just the incorrect usage of Dominate, when Dominant is supposed to be used.
Lurker
0 likes
It's a slip for the most part. They are both versions of the same root word. Two different meanings come from the difference in just two letters. The dominant dominates. One is a noun, the other a verb.

Like homophones that are often confused - odds are, they know and can see it when they think about it, but they aren't thinking about it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GingerKitty

This is true, but in this case, I'm wondering why people would, for example, say "I love my Dominate," rather than "I love my Dominant", or even "I love my Dom." I know that isn't the best example, but I'm just out of bed. The actual act and usage of the terminology for that doesn't bother me. Just the incorrect usage of Dominate, when Dominant is supposed to be used.

Ok. Well even when said out loud it just sounds wrong. But, then again there are many words in the English language that people just can't seem to grasp the correct usage.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is it just a slip, or is it a well-planned conspiracy to drive GingerKitty crazy...?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by jollylolly
Is it just a slip, or is it a well-planned conspiracy to drive GingerKitty crazy...?

Methinks you may be correct