using an actual photo of yourself as your avatar

last reply
244 replies
21.5k views
0 watchers
2 likes
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
So what would the upside/downside be of using an actual photo of yourself as your avatar? I am tempted.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do
Lurker
0 likes
I do that way people will see the real me.
Lurker
1 like
I do, to be honest didn't even think to use anything else!
Lurker
0 likes
Sure, all my photos are me! The downside of it? No idea, that someone can see that I am here? Let them, I love showing that I am like I am. The upside? Well, everyone knows immediately, who they are dealing with ... so the chapter of "can you send me a photo of yourself" can be closed, before it's even opened ... lol ...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The upside is anyone can see your actual face so they will know you.

The downside is anyone can see your actual face so they will know you.

If you are not worried about someone you know seeing you then there really is no downside I guess. That is a decision we all have to make, Only you can make that call!
Lurker
0 likes
I use an actual photo but I don't show my face on any of my photos, avatar or photo galleries included. Some family and friends would be very not happy in seeing my revealing pictures or reading my erotic stories and hearing about my adventures! That something I don't want to have to deal with. I like my ability to let loose here on Lush, and wouldn't be able to do that if everyone knew me.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Well, it's easier to show people the "real you" if the real you is pretty hot, as most of you seem to be smile.

My concern is the likelihood that someone I knew from the non-Lush world (apart from the few I've told of it) stumbled onto it and I'd be busted.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Well, it's easier to show people the "real you" if the real you is pretty hot, as most of you seem to be smile.

My concern is the likelihood that someone I knew from the non-Lush world (apart from the few I've told of it) stumbled onto it and I'd be busted.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
The upside is anyone can see your actual face so they will know you.

The downside is anyone can see your actual face so they will know you.

This. And if I may add, pictures always help others figure out what kind of person you are. Some people can actually manage to represent themselves fairly accurately without the need of any pictures, mostly by having an interesting profile and by adopting a distinctive/genuine personality on the forums, but pictures always help to add some 'humanity' to your online persona (so to speak).

Speaking for myself, I'm always more inclined to interact with people that I can form a certain mental representation of. And let's face it, sometimes a simple picture can say quite a lot about your personality, your life experiences and your personal situation. I don't exactly care if you're a young 21-year-old hottie or a 60-year-old homosexual (hi Derek), I just like to know who I'm interacting with. Again, pictures aren't always mandatory to achieve that, but they can certainly help. I thoroughly dislike when someone sends me request, and when I check their profile/posts, it feels as if I was looking into some kind of void.

Having said that, I've used a picture of myself as my avatar when I first joined here, and regretted it. If you're actually good-looking, people may as well assume that you're using a fake picture. And once they're wary of you that way, they may as well be wary of any aspect of yourself that you'll present on this site, from your age to your past sexual experiences. To be fair, I can't really blame these people as I behave quite similarly.

In other words, I'd advise you to be aware about how exposing a picture of yourself will affect how others will perceive you. If it's just to confirm/reinforce the mental representation that they have of you, it can actually be a fun/positive thing. If it's likely to provoke some wariness and/or attract a bunch of desperate people, you may as well only expose those pictures to your closest friends.

Quote by Verbal

There are quite a few ways to prevent that. You can use a picture of your lower body with your face only partially shown (similar to Nikki703 pictures), you can mask some of your facial features with software effects (eg. Photoshop), you can take a picture from a certain distance, you can put shades on, etc. Also make sure that the background in your picture isn't easily recognizable by the people you know (ie. your apartment).
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
So what would the upside/downside be of using an actual photo of yourself as your avatar? I am tempted.

You're a guy, so your experience with this may be different.

But people creep on avatars that aren't me, so I'd hate to use actual photos of myself.

If you don't care about being recognized or don't care about people knowing what you look like, then I say go for it. If it's something you don't feel uncomfortable doing, why not?

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never seen a downside to it.
Lurker
0 likes
I've only had this AV and it's me - but really not that risky - never really thought of the upside or downside - just thought it would be a fun AV... I've probably received equal positive comments as negative ones - which frankly I don't really understand but everyone is entitled to their own AV opinion just as everyone is entitled to their own AV (as long as it meets the Lush rules).

I do not think I'd use a face shot of me in mine - but seems others don't have that concern which in a way I find admirable smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Are you saying that this isn't really me?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wouldn't use my photo ss an avatar incase someone I know is on here and I like the anonymity too, plus I don't want to scare anyone with my mug shot either!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

This. And if I may add, pictures always help others figure out what kind of person you are. Some people can actually manage to represent themselves fairly accurately without the need of any pictures, mostly by having an interesting profile and by adopting a distinctive/genuine personality on the forums, but pictures always help to add some 'humanity' to your online persona (so to speak).

Speaking for myself, I'm always more inclined to interact with people that I can form a certain mental representation of. And let's face it, sometimes a simple picture can say quite a lot about your personality, your life experiences and your personal situation. I don't exactly care if you're a young 21-year-old hottie or a 60-year-old homosexual (hi Derek), I just like to know who I'm interacting with. Again, pictures aren't always mandatory to achieve that, but they can certainly help. I thoroughly dislike when someone sends me request, and when I check their profile/posts, it feels as if I was looking into some kind of void.

I like this, Batman. I think I'l leave the avatar as is, but maybe post a few pix.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I like this, Batman. I think I'l leave the avatar as is, but maybe post a few pix.

Hah, to be honest Verbal you only have 210 posts so far and I only caught a few of your posts here and there, but you're one of the few that I can actually have a fairly good mental representation of.

So yeah, pictures wouldn't be mandatory at all for you, especially to people who only lightly interact with you in the forums.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Hah, to be honest Verbal you only have 210 posts so far and I only caught a few of your posts here and there, but you're one of the few that I can actually have a fairly good mental representation of.

So yeah, pictures wouldn't be mandatory at all for you, especially to people who only lightly interact with you in the forums.

Does your mental representation have me as ruggedly handsome with a rapier wit, a kind heart and a boyish demeanor (: ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Even though he rips me to shreds in the forums, he's quite right about this. If you have the slightest concern, don't do it.
Have an album that you can select who can see it. I have.
Just be careful your finger doesn't slip when selecting which friends. Mine did and Batman saw a bit too much of me.
Lurker
0 likes
it is me in the pic
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
It's me in the picture all of them!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes its all me in the pictures, add a certain humanity and genuine side
Live and let live
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I think I've actually used myself more often than not. Never my whole face, and that will probably remain true. I don't use my whole face for the same reasons you state, V. There is, however, a certain thrill to showing off portions of myself.

The one on there right now? Yeah, that's me.
Lurker
0 likes
My face is sprawled on so many tabloids and most wanted posters, that I just couldn't handle it if they found out about my Lush account too smile
but yeah, my abs are under-construction in the present avatar :P
The Linebacker
0 likes
For some people, using an actual picture of themselves as an avatar could destroy their career/job, relationship with family and some colleagues and friends. The same with using your actual name. Writing erotic sex stories is something I love, but not compatible with the expectations of my career's social and professional guidelines. That is just how the world works, real life and consequences. So for many on Lush, discretion and anonymity is best.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I won't use my pics on my avatar. I do share pics with people on here whom I get to know and feel I can trust though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
<- Me.

I started off with an avatar that wasn't of me. I used to get asked a lot, so I decided to use only my own photos after that. Now no one believes they are me. *Rolls eyes*

I suppose for me it's just simpler. It's nothing incriminating that's going to bring me any problems and it seems a bit more... Honest.

Okay and maybe I have a slight exhibitionist side that likes putting myself out there.
A poetry selection!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Um - I get a lot of guys telling me how sexy my lips would be wrapped around their cocks. Sort of entertaining, really.

A few people comment on the thing about the necklace.

And that's about it so it's not like it matters much. smile

As for getting recognized - that would likely disappoint my readers and make me feel famous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mancman2010
I won't use my pics on my avatar. I do share pics with people on here whom I get to know and feel I can trust though.

Can identity with this, I have pictures on my profile that only my friends can see