Obligatory Makeup Thread

last reply
71 replies
8.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
So this isn't about makeup, per se, but about something equally important...brushes!

Makeup brushes are essential because your makeup is only as good as how/what you use to apply it. A simple blending brush can make all the difference. Good makeup brushes are also dense, which means you use less product to achieve your desired effect.

There are tons of brands to choose from (which ultimately end up making duplicates of each others products just in different colors/styles) as well as different qualities (as well as prices).

One thing about makeup brushes is that you get what you pay for. If you find one of those bargain/wholesale sets on places like Ebay and Amazon, even with proper maintenance, they don't last as long as the more expensive brands.

Personally, I've always just shelled out the extra bucks for quality makeup brushes because if you factor in replacing brushes, going the cheaper route costs you more in the long run.

As far as quality goes, nothing comes close to the Sigma and MAC brand brushes. Any professional makeup artist will tell you the same. Even if they're all about bargains, they'll tell you that nothing compares to Sigma and MAC brushes. They really took their time crafting these...and with proper care, they last for years. As I said before, with makeup brushes, you always get what you pay for. So a single MAC or a Sigma brush can run you anywhere from $14-$50 or more. I was just looking to replace a few of my Sigma brushes, and a set of 5 basic face brushes was $87, which was really no shock to me.

I have a close friend who's a makeup artist. Makeup artists have to replace their brushes way more often than us little people do...well at least they should. And shelling out at least $200 to replace a couple of handfuls of brushes can grow quite tiresome. Needless to say, she's always on the hunt for quality brushes that are budget-friendly. She's tried so many brushes and brands, from department store to drugstore to wholesale. She's satisified with them short term, but ultimately she just goes back to MAC or Sigma.

Recently, she's really been raving about a brand called Ovonni. They have a 29 pcs brush selling on Ebay and Amazon anywhere from $45-$49. This may still seem like a steep price, but remember...spending more on quality saves you money in the long run. Good brushes means using fewer product to achieve great looks, so you don't have to buy as much makeup, and they also last much longer so you're not replacing them as often.

Now, back to Ovonni. First of all, I'm quite stubborn about brands. When I find one I like, I stick to it and seldom deviate. So my makeup artist friend was raving about this set of brushes...something she's never done before. She said they were exactly like Sigma brushes, down to the materials, color, quality, density...everything. It's a 100% dupe. The only difference is, 5 Sigma brushes costs you $87, where a set of 29 Ovonni brushes costs you $45-$49, so you do the math.

I ordered a set myself, and I have to say everything she said was absolutely correct. I'm surprised that something like this exists at this price range. And when more people catch on, I'm not sure how long they'll stay in this price range. Or maybe they were created for the sole purpose of providing top quality for such an excellent price.

I rarely rave about products like this, but I really had to share. This is by far the best bargain I've ever found in my entire existence of bargain-hunting! I'm seriously contemplating buying another set for when I have to replace mine in a couple of years or so.

I'll post images and links later. But typing 'Ovonni 29 pcs brush set' into either Amazon or Ebay's search boxes will bring you to the brush sets. Ignore the colorful fluffy looking stuff and go for the black ones that come in a nice big zip-up case with different compartments on it...and a heart on the zipper.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Dani
So this isn't about makeup, per se, but about something equally important...brushes!

Makeup brushes are essential because your makeup is only as good as how/what you use to apply it. A simple blending brush can make all the difference. Good makeup brushes are also dense, which means you use less product to achieve your desired effect.

There are tons of brands to choose from (which ultimately end up making duplicates of each others products just in different colors/styles) as well as different qualities (as well as prices).

One thing about makeup brushes is that you get what you pay for. If you find one of those bargain/wholesale sets on places like Ebay and Amazon, even with proper maintenance, they don't last as long as the more expensive brands.

Personally, I've always just shelled out the extra bucks for quality makeup brushes because if you factor in replacing brushes, going the cheaper route costs you more in the long run.

As far as quality goes, nothing comes close to the Sigma and MAC brand brushes. Any professional makeup artist will tell you the same. Even if they're all about bargains, they'll tell you that nothing compares to Sigma and MAC brushes. They really took their time crafting these...and with proper care, they last for years. As I said before, with makeup brushes, you always get what you pay for. So a single MAC or a Sigma brush can run you anywhere from $14-$50 or more. I was just looking to replace a few of my Sigma brushes, and a set of 5 basic face brushes was $87, which was really no shock to me.

I have a close friend who's a makeup artist. Makeup artists have to replace their brushes way more often than us little people do...well at least they should. And shelling out at least $200 to replace a couple of handfuls of brushes can grow quite tiresome. Needless to say, she's always on the hunt for quality brushes that are budget-friendly. She's tried so many brushes and brands, from department store to drugstore to wholesale. She's satisified with them short term, but ultimately she just goes back to MAC or Sigma.

Recently, she's really been raving about a brand called Ovonni. They have a 29 pcs brush selling on Ebay and Amazon anywhere from $45-$49. This may still seem like a steep price, but remember...spending more on quality saves you money in the long run. Good brushes means using fewer product to achieve great looks, so you don't have to buy as much makeup, and they also last much longer so you're not replacing them as often.

Now, back to Ovonni. First of all, I'm quite stubborn about brands. When I find one I like, I stick to it and seldom deviate. So my makeup artist friend was raving about this set of brushes...something she's never done before. She said they were exactly like Sigma brushes, down to the materials, color, quality, density...everything. It's a 100% dupe. The only difference is, 5 Sigma brushes costs you $87, where a set of 29 Ovonni brushes costs you $45-$49, so you do the math.

I ordered a set myself, and I have to say everything she said was absolutely correct. I'm surprised that something like this exists at this price range. And when more people catch on, I'm not sure how long they'll stay in this price range. Or maybe they were created for the sole purpose of providing top quality for such an excellent price.

I rarely rave about products like this, but I really had to share. This is by far the best bargain I've ever found in my entire existence of bargain-hunting! I'm seriously contemplating buying another set for when I have to replace mine in a couple of years or so.

I'll post images and links later. But typing 'Ovonni 29 pcs brush set' into either Amazon or Ebay's search boxes will bring you to the brush sets. Ignore the colorful fluffy looking stuff and go for the black ones that come in a nice big zip-up case with different compartments on it...and a heart on the zipper.

This is a great post. I tend to mix and match a bit with brushes - mostly MAC and Bobbi Brown.

I have to say, I tried E.L.F's Kabuki brush a while ago, and I'm really impressed by the quality for the price. It's ridiculously cheap - ($9) but performs so well - no shedding, soft, applies powder and blends blush beautifully. I was really surprised - it was on par (performance-wise) with my more expensive BB Kabuki. I tend to use just a bit of Benefit's 'Flawless' powder in place of any kind of foundation for daytime and the Kabuki brush is my go-to and pretty much the only brush I couldn't live without.

I'll have to check out Ovonni next.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I'll have to check out Ovonni next.

They make lots of different sets, but I admittedly don't know much about the brand outside of the 29-pcs set. And as I've only really seen/read reviews on the 29-pcs set, I'd venture a guess that this is the only thing they have that's really worth raving about.

My guess is they got hold of the wholesale manufacturer of the top-dollar brushes...so it's only a matter of time before the lower-end brands do the same.

Anyhoo, I may or may not have forgotten to add pictures as I said previously, so here's the set:

My favorite brushes are the stippling (flat-top), concealer, angled blush/bronzer, and blending eye-shadow brushes. I've recently gotten into using BB Cream (I'll make a post about it in here at some point in life), and the stippling brush applies it flawlessly. The concealer brush is perfect at applying/blending out concealer, which comes on handy on those days you wanna go without foundation but still need to cover up some blemishes or under-eye bags. It's so precise. All the brushes are, really. I'm blown away.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
UPDATE ON THE 29 PCS BRUSH SET:

It's a dupe of the Sigma Complete Kit in chrome, which costs $417. The Copper Set (same brushes, copper-colored ferrules) is $472 and the 18K Gold Set is $539. The Chrome Kit comes in a white zip-up case with silver lettering, and the others come in a black case with the lettering in the respective ferrule colors. The Ovonni (and other whole sellers) just sell this kit in a plain black zip-up case.

I use the term dupe loosely, as they are the EXACT SAME brushes made by the same manufacturer. The price changes according to the company whose name is on the brushes, as several companies have gotten a hold of this manufacturer and personalized this brush kit (changed the colors or something), but so far Ovonni's the cheapest.

I found a Youtube review showing all of the brushes from the Sigma Complete Kit in chrome, which is essentially showing the same brushes you get in the Ovonni brush kit (or whoever you decide to purchase this set from):

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Dani
UPDATE ON THE 29 PCS BRUSH SET:

Re the dupe brushes... I hate when that happens. And it happens a lot more than people think.

Even with make-up, many companies buy from the same mica/pigment companies (such as tkbtrading.com where you can buy some of the exact same make-up without the fancy compacts and branding), and just 'press' them into branded packaging and sell them with massive mark-ups.

The idea of just slapping your brand on something you had no hand in designing/creating just feels wrong, somehow. Yet, I suppose this is standard in many industries.

That's a good catch, Dani! Those are deep savings on that brush set, in comparison to the pricier brands!

I'll have to put them on my extended 'wish-list' for now. I spent my make-up/skincare allotment splurge-funds on the big VIB sale at Sephora this past weekend.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Re the dupe brushes... I hate when that happens. And it happens a lot more than people think.

Even with make-up, many companies buy from the same mica/pigment companies (such as tkbtrading.com where you can buy some of the exact same make-up without the fancy compacts and branding), and just 'press' them into branded packaging and sell them with massive mark-ups.

The idea of just slapping your brand on something you had no hand in designing/creating just feels wrong, somehow. Yet, I suppose this is standard in many industries.

That's a good catch, Dani! Those are deep savings on that brush set, in comparison to the pricier brands!

I'll have to put them on my extended 'wish-list' for now. I spent my make-up/skincare allotment splurge-funds on the big VIB sale at Sephora this past weekend.

Exactly.

And the thing that disappoints me the most about Sigma is that they started off as the go-to brand when you wanted affordable, high-end level cosmetic products. Basically when you didn't want quality to suffer for the better deal. Then as they got more mainstream, the prices just sort of shot through the roof.

They were originally the answer to MAC and their brushes. They weren't exact dupes or anything, but they essentially did the same thing at a fraction of the price. But this brush set is the ultimate dick move, by far.

I understand brands making dupes of what other brands come up with. Higher-end brands do it to other higher-end brands. Lower-end brands do it to lower and high-end brands. It's really the only way to have staying power in the cosmetics industry. People need to know that they can pay $15 for a palette that's almost the same thing as that $50 palette. But to go so far as to just slap your insignia on something that you didn't even have a hand in creating and charge through the roof for it just because it's a branding game is kind of disgusting.

Re Sephora's VIB sale, I'm actually quite proud of myself. I didn't go too crazy, and a good chunk of what I bought was gifts for others.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Re Sephora's VIB sale, I'm actually quite proud of myself. I didn't go too crazy, and a good chunk of what I bought was gifts for others.

I checked a bunch of gifts off my xmas list too.

As far as make-up goes, I grabbed the Urban Decay Pulp Fiction palette - because...at the sale price it's already at + discount, it was practically free anyway.

I did indulge in some skin care stuff (face oils) and fragrances though. It's been a while.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

As far as make-up goes, I grabbed the Urban Decay Pulp Fiction palette - because...at the sale price it's already at + discount, it was practically free anyway.

Aww, I got that one as a stocking stuffer for a friend (yes, we do stockings). Those sort of palettes are great for that kind of thing. The packaging was so badass that I was tempted to get it for myself, but I have all 3 of the Naked palettes, so I have no excuse for splurging on neutral eye shadows for myself, even if they are practically giving them away.

A friend of mine is quitting acrylic nails (Blech!) cold turkey so I got her one of those Butter London nail kits as kind of a starter.

I think the only thing I got for myself was mascara and some nail polish sets (Those prices were insane!), and a couple of fragrances, so I mostly dipped into my Christmas budget, and not my self-splurge budget.

And on a totally unrelated note, I bought a pair of $144.99 boots for $27.49. They were on sale for 40% off, and I had a 50% off coupon. Indulging without hurting my wallet is the best retail therapy there is.

I wonder if they're gonna do anything for Black Friday.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Aww, I got that one as a stocking stuffer for a friend (yes, we do stockings). Those sort of palettes are great for that kind of thing. The packaging was so badass that I was tempted to get it for myself, but I have all 3 of the Naked palettes, so I have no excuse for splurging on neutral eye shadows for myself, even if they are practically giving them away.

A friend of mine is quitting acrylic nails (Blech!) cold turkey so I got her one of those Butter London nail kits as kind of a starter.

I think the only thing I got for myself was mascara and some nail polish sets (Those prices were insane!), and a couple of fragrances, so I mostly dipped into my Christmas budget, and not my self-splurge budget.

And on a totally unrelated note, I bought a pair of $144.99 boots for $27.49. They were on sale for 40% off, and I had a 50% off coupon. Indulging without hurting my wallet is the best retail therapy there is.

I wonder if they're gonna do anything for Black Friday.

The sale on those boots are killer! Wow!

What fragrances did you pick up? I got the one I've been obsessing over forever - the Maison Martin Margiela 'Replica' Beach Walk. I have my eye on FunFair for another time. I also got a Fresh perfume (Brown Sugar) and that set of Nest minis. And I got a couple of rollerballs as xmas gifts.

The BL set is a good one for your friend if she's going off acrylics. BL will have a solid sale for Black Friday - they always do. They are actually dirt cheap if you order direct from the BL site - they always have promos and stuff going on. Usually their polishes go down to $7.50 each and they have lots of cool sets.

Sephora will have a Black Friday sale but it'll probably be nuts in-store and online, I assume the website will be crashing all day. Last year they had a bunch of pretty nice $10 grabs.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

The sale on those boots are killer! Wow!

What fragrances did you pick up? I got the one I've been obsessing over forever - the Maison Martin Margiela 'Replica' Beach Walk. I have my eye on FunFair for another time. I also got a Fresh perfume (Brown Sugar) and that set of Nest minis. And I got a couple of rollerballs as xmas gifts.

The BL set is a good one for your friend if she's going off acrylics. BL will have a solid sale for Black Friday - they always do. They are actually dirt cheap if you order direct from the BL site - they always have promos and stuff going on. Usually their polishes go down to $7.50 each and they have lots of cool sets.

Sephora will have a Black Friday sale but it'll probably be nuts in-store and online, I assume the website will be crashing all day. Last year they had a bunch of pretty nice $10 grabs.

Oh, I don't do in-store Black Friday. It happens online or it doesn't happen at all.

Re the perfume sets, I got the Marc Jacobs Daisy because mine is just about to run out. I also got one of those Philosophy layering sets because I wanna try out the whole layering thing...if it doesn't work out, I'll probably just give it away. And I got one of the sampler sets. I like those because I can give away the ones I don't like to multiple people without feeling like I wasted my money...and if I like the samplers enough, I inevitably buy the full size.

There are two more that I put in my shopping cart, but I didn't get them. One was like 5 or 6 Estee Lauder perfumes, and they were almost full-size. I might just get them, as they're still just $35 right now. The other was a Coach mini set...Poppy, I think. Honestly, I got overwhelmed by the fragrance choices. I might shop for those separately some time soon, there are still a few bargains up.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Re the perfume sets, I got the Marc Jacobs Daisy because mine is just about to run out. I also got one of those Philosophy layering sets because I wanna try out the whole layering thing...if it doesn't work out, I'll probably just give it away. And I got one of the sampler sets. I like those because I can give away the ones I don't like to multiple people without feeling like I wasted my money...and if I like the samplers enough, I inevitably buy the full size.

There are two more that I put in my shopping cart, but I didn't get them. One was like 5 or 6 Estee Lauder perfumes, and they were almost full-size. I might just get them, as they're still just $35 right now. The other was a Coach mini set...Poppy, I think. Honestly, I got overwhelmed by the fragrance choices. I might shop for those separately some time soon, there are still a few bargains up.

I agree - I love fragrance samplers or minis. I find that it's nearly impossible to properly smell and appreciate a scent in a store like Sephora. There's too many competing smells in the air and overpowering Flowerbomb. I'm like you - nearly all the perfumes I've bought originated as a sample or mini bottle that I try and start to love. Buying a big perfume bottle is a commitment - I have to really feel like it's 'me'.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
This is one of my favourite make-up purchases this spring.

The 'Dior Cheek and Lip Glow' - It looks really bright but it actually goes on super sheer and has this really nice moisturizing gel consistency. It's one of those 'colour reveal technologies' where it adjusts to the moisture in your skin. Those types of products can be hit or miss for me, but this one is just right - not like Tarte's cheek stain, which comes out like 'neon pink clown' on me.

I usually use the Benetint line in the summer but I find those harder to blend out without streaks or ending up with more colour than I wanted. This Dior one is perfect and pretty much goof-proof. Plus the bottle is so damn cute. smile