Login

Western Digital Outage

last reply
2 replies
2 watchers
0 likes
Story Verifier
0 likes

Bit of a longshot here, but has anyone here been affected by the Western Digital outage of 26th March?

Many thousands of people have been unable to gain access to their data for over a week now, myself and my firm included. WD have been pretty silent since the outage, and have switched off their Twitter feed because of all the complaints and adverse publicity.

The irony of it all is that many of us have our data sat right in front of us, but it can only be accessed via the internet, with the connection switched off by WD. I have had our Techie guys take a look, and the data drive is encrypted!

Any help or suggestion greatly appreciated.

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Story Verifier
0 likes

Quote by Trousseau

Don't know, but saw this:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/7/23674621/western-digital-my-cloud-data-breach-local-access

Thanks. Local Access doesn't work for us, I'm afraid, but maybe they are close to solving the problem at there end.

I did see somewhere in a forum elsewhere that WD data is being offered for sale on the 'dark web'. Not a place that would ever venture going down, but if it is true, WD are pretty crap at protecting our data!

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”