trimming the fat

last reply
19 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
i'm pretty dedicated to staying in shape. i've gone to the gym and run frequently for my entire adult life, and in the last 2+ months i've started doing crossfit 4-5 times a week, just to vary my workouts and add some structure and intensity. i try to eat fairly healthy, but occasionally i get busy and my diet goes to crap.

i'm in good shape overall--5'6", 150 lbs, somewhat muscular--but there's juuuuust a bit of fat that hovers around my waist. not enough that i look overweight, just enough to hide my abs. i can feel them in there, they're hard enough to take a punch in the gut, they're just hidden by that fat layer.

my question is, how do i get rid of the fat? are there factors besides diet that could be contributing to it? if it's just diet, exactly how picky am i going to have to get before i get rid of it?
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
HIT training is the best for cutting.

If you really want to reveal abs, the sad truth of it is that you have basically have to get around 10% body fat for below.

That requires a very regimented diet where you can't have any unhealthy junk in your life outside of that one cheat day.

So, basically. The way to trim out THAT fat (the hardest fat for males to lose) is dedication.

Pure, uptight, dedication.
Lurker
0 likes
I actually like if a guy has small layer of fat on his body and not just muscles and skin, but you guys carry on with this topic ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She
I actually like if a guy has small layer of fat on his body and not just muscles and skin, but you guys carry on with this topic ;)

well then i'm perfect!
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with She. Personally, my man doesn't need to be ripped. Strong, sure. Fit, absolutely. But counting abs isn't important to me! His mind is far more sexy than a ripped body.....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree with MM. I've been working out, reading, during, bro sciencing, for going on 26 years. I watch what my buddies do to compete in physique and bodybuilding competitions. There's a reason they don't look like that year round. On top of that, guys, from my understanding, tend to hold their body fat and lose it last on their abs. I know that's what happens to me. To get to the shot that is my avatar, I spent two months cutting with an extremely strict diet and going to the gym twice a day. My pro buddies do that shit during competition season, ONLY. I hate dieting to that extent. Best advice: drink plenty of water. Most of the gym rats I know are easily drinking two gallons a day. Fuck diet drinks, juices, flavored creamers, etc. WATER. Also, look into the "My Fitness Pal" app. They have a website. Only through strict monitoring of your macronutrients are you really going to get to that level unless you're one of the 1% generic freaks. Good luck!
Lurker
0 likes
Personally I am gym at least 6 days of week for cardio or walking, rowing. TRX training plus weights all rest of week.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If it's just the bit around the middle it'll be more to do with the diet than the exercise.

Keeping it off permanently would mean sticking to an ultra low-carb diet. Most actors who have to take their shirts off in films will go hard on zero-carbs so they're super-lean for the poster shots - which is why three months later you'll see them being papped on their yachts with a paunch. They also dehydrate themselves to get the ripped look - which is no good for anyone.

In the end it all comes down to choices - do you want ripped abs or do you want a varied diet.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by mrd82
I try to eat fairly healthy, but occasionally i get busy and my diet goes to crap.

my question is, how do i get rid of the fat? are there factors besides diet that could be contributing to it? if it's just diet, exactly how picky am i going to have to get before i get rid of it?

Get rid of those moments of weakness and the fat will go. If you want the fat to go permanently, then your diet will need to change permanently with very little room for indulgences.

On a more personal note, like many of the women have said, a super ripped guy isn't always that attractive. Fit, lean, strong and healthy are music to my ears. Plus, I love a man who loves a good, calorie laden meal every once in a while!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mollypants
Plus, I love a man who loves a good, calorie laden meal every once in a while!

well then we'd get along great. biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't like it if a guy is all muscle I would much prefer it if he was just in good shape.He doesn't have to be super fit but he needs to be able to kicks someone ass if they grab my ass:-) Im joking
The Linebacker
0 likes
A lot of it is your genes. Some people have to diet as well as exercise to get rid of that last bit of fat and some people can just exercise. Not all people are the same.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Buz nailed it. Carb control and body fat index is what is required. Because I surf the cold water adds to calorie burn. 7% and below body fat will take it away. Gluten free helps. Crunches, heavy lifting, road work and swimming all work but every one is different. Even low T comes into play. My avatar was 2 years ago and required A 1000 crunches a day. Now it comes and goes. I'm 50. It was much much easier at 20. It is more vanity than anything. I admitt it.
Lurker
0 likes
Diet will mostly do it. Mostly eliminating excess carbs, especially all sources of wheat, rice and corn and soy, which are almost all now genetically modified.
Make sure you get plenty of fat (yes, I said it), but the right kinds of fat...CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and Omega 3...the best sources of these kinds of fat (which actually help increase metabolism to burn stored adipose fat) are...
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic Free Range Eggs (eat the yolks)
Grass-Fed Meats and Butter
Avocados
Avocado Oil
Walnut Oil
Raw Nuts (walnuts, macadamia, almonds... NOT peanuts)
Raw Seeds (chia, hemp, flax, pumpkin, sunflower)
Organic Grass-fed Whole Raw Milk
Lurker
0 likes
to everyone here who has offered dietary advice (or anyone else for that matter), do you have any solutions for my particular situation? most of my dietary sins come from the fact that i often have limited time to eat.

for a pretty decent chunk of the year, i have obligations 3-4 nights a week that simply don't afford me time to take an hour to cook and another half hour to clean up. and i'm often on the run during the work day and don't have time for a "real" lunch. i really need 2 things:

1) a healthy snack--something that tastes good and is filling. when i don't have time for lunch, or when there are hours and hours between lunch and dinner, i need something quick i can grab to keep me going. i've heard eat fruit, i've heard eat a handful of nuts, and it all seems like bullshit to me. i can eat nuts by the barrel and bananas by the stalk and all it really does is make me want something more filling.

2) a quick dinner--either something that i can make very quickly, or something that i can make a lot of on the weekend and then heat up quickly throughout the week.

if i can get both of those, i can cut out snacking on garbage and eating whatever is fast and convenient for dinner, and that'll go a long way toward a diet i feel good about.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by mrd82
to everyone here who has offered dietary advice (or anyone else for that matter), do you have any solutions for my particular situation? most of my dietary sins come from the fact that i often have limited time to eat.

for a pretty decent chunk of the year, i have obligations 3-4 nights a week that simply don't afford me time to take an hour to cook and another half hour to clean up. and i'm often on the run during the work day and don't have time for a "real" lunch. i really need 2 things:

1) a healthy snack--something that tastes good and is filling. when i don't have time for lunch, or when there are hours and hours between lunch and dinner, i need something quick i can grab to keep me going. i've heard eat fruit, i've heard eat a handful of nuts, and it all seems like bullshit to me. i can eat nuts by the barrel and bananas by the stalk and all it really does is make me want something more filling.

2) a quick dinner--either something that i can make very quickly, or something that i can make a lot of on the weekend and then heat up quickly throughout the week.

if i can get both of those, i can cut out snacking on garbage and eating whatever is fast and convenient for dinner, and that'll go a long way toward a diet i feel good about.

1) My answer would depend on a lot of factors: How many calories do you allow yourself to eat at this time of the day? How much time do you have to eat? Do you have access to a fridge/cafeteria, or do you have to eat on the go?

Technically your whole 'I can eat nuts/bananas in bulk and all it really does is make me want something more filling' doesn't make much sense either. Why would anything else be any more filling? Satiety is accomplished by eating dense foods in an adequate quantity. There are plenty of low-caloric foods available for that (vegetables mostly); if that doesn't satisfy you, it just sounds like an excuse to grab that dreadful chocolate bar to me (which isn't any more filling, quite the contrary).

Anyway, here are a few ideas:

- Green peppers. These are very filling and low-caloric (25-33 calories each), and very easy to prepare too. You can just throw a few of them in your lunch-bag (along with a knife), and cut them in slices on the go. It really isn't more complicated than preparing/eating an orange. Or you could prepare them in advance the evening before (which only takes 2 minutes) and put them in a ziploc bag; or even prepare a large batch during the weekend:

- Carrots. These are more filling than green peppers, but also a bit more caloric; still a great choice compared to all the other junk you can eat. I used to eat baby-carrots, now I don't bother with them anymore and simply eat regular carrots: I wash them thoroughly under the water (I don't even peel them), and simply cut the ends with my teeth. As with green peppers, they're very simple to eat on the go or to prepare in advance:

- If you can allow yourself more calories (and have access to a fridge), you could eat cottage cheese. This is especially good if you workout and need an extra-amount of proteins. I don't mind eating it raw myself, but you could also add a scoop of protein powder, berries, peanut butter or a low-fat/low-sugar yogurt to add some taste. You could even add some oatmeal to it to make it more filling:

Nuts/fruits aren't a bad choice if you just need to eat a little, but they can be rather caloric when eaten in large quantities. And with any of these options, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to control your appetite.

2) Here's how I personally handle my evening dinners through the week: I cook a large batch of chicken breasts during the weekend (usually on Sunday), and simply steam them throughout the week. Cooked chicken can be conserved for up to 7 days, and a batch of around 1.00-1.25 kg (2.25-2.75 lbs) usually lasts me that long. I buy pre-seasoned chicken myself, but you could accomplish the same with regular chicken (which I used to do). Here's how:

- Cut the pieces to an appropriate size and place them in a glass casserole. I like to cut them to various sizes myself (as shown below): small pieces to mix with recipes, and large pieces to eat by themselves. Then add a very small quantity of water (as shown in the second picture), and place a cover on it. This whole step only takes 10 minutes to perform:

Note: I just realized this, but I actually make a tiny cameo appearance in the second picture, haha.

- Place your casserole in the oven at 350°F for an hour: it's as simple as that, you don't even need to keep an eye on it. Then you'll have a nice batch of cooked chicken. Let it cool down for about 30 minutes, then you can put your casserole in the fridge (no need to put your chicken in individual tupperware bowls):

- Now when comes the time to prepare your dinner, it's just as quick/simple. Myself, I place all of my ingredients together in a steamer; I pour some water at the bottom of my steamer, then I add:

250g of frozen vegetables (75 calories)
30g of almonds (175 calories)
160g of chicken (250 calories)

Note: This is all calculated according to my bodybuilding diet, but you could try different variations yourself according to your own goals.

- Then, put a cover on it and simply place your pan on the stove at high. Everything will be neatly cooked in about 10 minutes; when you'll see a lot of steam appearing, it will be ready to serve (or at least that's how I do it myself).

Now comes the time to add a source of carbohydrates. I like to vary for that, and my three main choices are: 1/3 cup semolina (couscous), 300g sweet potatoes, or Asian noodles. All three of these options provide me exactly 250 calories. They're all easy to prepare, but the easiest is semolina. You can perform this while your steamer is heating. Here's how:

- Take out a smaller pan, and pour in it the exact same quantity of water as the quantity of semolina that you intend to cook (1/3 cup for me). Then have your measured semolina ready; this is important, as timing is key here:

- Then put the cover on your pan, and place it on the stove at high. When the water will start boiling, quickly remove the cover, pour your semolina, turn the stove off, and replace the cover. Let it rest for about 5 minutes, then it will be ready to serve.

Here's what it all looks like when it's served. You have a delicious, low-caloric (750 calories), healthy, filling meal, ready in only 10 minutes:

With my pre-seasoned chicken, I don't even need to add any sauce. The great thing about cooking all of your ingredients together (chicken, vegetables, almonds) is that the flavoring of your chicken will spread all over the other ingredients too. Delicious.

And cleaning really isn't complicated either: I simply rinse all of my cooking wares thoroughly, wipe them with a paper towel, and keep using them throughout the week. I simply clean them properly once per week during the weekend.

And yes, I pretty much always eat the same thing year-round, haha. I like to vary with sweet potatoes or Asian noodles however, as I mentioned above. And sometimes I also like to only cook chicken/vegetables (I ditch the almonds/carbohydrates), then I'll eat something in the evening while watching a movie instead (eg. hummus dip, salsa dip, carrots, potato chips, etc). I still count my calories though, and this allows me to eat 425 calories in the evening (175 + 250, the respective amounts of my almonds/carbohydrates).
Lurker
0 likes
thanks for the detailed response SP...i'll try to address a few of the things that you mentioned:

Quote by SereneProdigy

1) My answer would depend on a lot of factors: How many calories do you allow yourself to eat at this time of the day? How many time do you have to eat? Do you have access to a fridge/cafeteria, or do you have to eat on the go?

calorie requirement varies...sometimes i just have evening meetings and i need a snack until i get home for dinner, and sometimes i'm heading to the gym and will burn off a few hundred calories inside an hour. i've never monitored calories closely, partly because of why i just stated, and partly because i think calories aren't created equal...of course too much of anything is bad, but 200 calories of broccoli is much healthier than a 200 calorie candy bar, and i think if you listen to your body, quantities will mostly take care of themselves. maybe that's just laziness on my part though. biggrin

the time i have to eat can vary as well. sometimes i have time for a full lunch, sometimes i just have a little while for a quick lunch, sometimes i need something i can eat on the go in my car.

at my office i do have a small refrigerator and a microwave, but no stove/oven.

Technically your whole 'I can eat nuts/bananas in bulk and all it really does is make me want something more filling' doesn't make much sense either. Why would anything else be any more filling? Satiety is accomplished by eating dense foods in an adequate quantity. There are plenty of low-caloric foods available for that (vegetables mostly); if that doesn't satisfy you, it just sounds like an excuse to grab that dreadful chocolate bar to me (which isn't any more filling, quite the contrary).

i've always heard fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables make you feel full, but most do nothing for me as far as feeling satisfied. nuts are a little more filling, but i've never been hungry and eaten a banana and felt one bit less hungry or felt like i had any more energy. i don't know why i'm like that. i need protein when i'm empty.

and as to the rest of your post...when you talk chicken you are definitely speaking my language, haha. i'm looking forward to trying your recipe ideas.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by mrd82
i've always heard fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables make you feel full, but most do nothing for me as far as feeling satisfied. nuts are a little more filling, but i've never been hungry and eaten a banana and felt one bit less hungry or felt like i had any more energy. i don't know why i'm like that. i need protein when i'm empty.

Nuts and bananas really aren't the most efficient foods to fight hunger while keeping your caloric intake low. Nuts are nice to provide a considerable amount of calories with just a small handful, which works better if you simply need a few quick calories at a precise moment during the day; they will make you feel full fairly rapidly, but they'll also provide you many calories. Bananas are rather 'light' and not all that filling considering the relatively high amount of calories that they contain; apples are already an improvement.

Here is the 'fullness factor' of a few different foods. The comparison here is not for the same quantity (eg. 1/2 cup), but for the same amount of calories (eg. 100 kcal).

In order, you have: almonds / bananas / carrots / peppers

You can see that nuts and bananas are rather average. Carrots are much better and quite amazing, but green peppers are by far the best.

You can check out this website to compare many other foods: nutritiondata.self.com/

If you're looking for the least caloric, most filling foods though, I can save you time and tell you right away that green vegetables are by far the big winners. If a certain amount doesn't fill you up right away, just eat more of them, it's as simple as that. But I can vouch that green peppers will make you feel full fairly rapidly.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by DreamBigger
Diet will mostly do it. Mostly eliminating excess carbs, especially all sources of wheat, rice and corn and soy, which are almost all now genetically modified.
Make sure you get plenty of fat (yes, I said it), but the right kinds of fat...CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and Omega 3...the best sources of these kinds of fat (which actually help increase metabolism to burn stored adipose fat) are...
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic Free Range Eggs (eat the yolks)
Grass-Fed Meats and Butter
Avocados
Avocado Oil
Walnut Oil
Raw Nuts (walnuts, macadamia, almonds... NOT peanuts)
Raw Seeds (chia, hemp, flax, pumpkin, sunflower)
Organic Grass-fed Whole Raw Milk

Agree with you 100%. Protein rich diet and lifting will produce muscle without steroids.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
If you're looking for an awesome filling, nutritious, practical lunch, you can also prepare a salmon salad (that's what I eat myself). If you're a Neanderthal like me, you can simply use lettuce and salmon, no need to add tomatoes, cucumbers and all that, haha. It takes me 2-5 minutes to prepare in the evening, and you don't even need to put it in the fridge at work.

I use 1/3 of a big can for each lunch, which provides me 200 calories. I don't even count the calories of my lettuce, it isn't more than around 25 calories anyway. Make sure to use pink alaskan salmon, it's the healthiest (and also the cheapest anyway):