How many languages do you speak?

last reply
101 replies
7.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I'm Spanish and Spanish is my mother tongue. I started to study English and French in school. I have a degree on Translation and studied English, Portuguese and Gallician* in University. I started to understand Catalan* after hearing it a lot. Also understand Italian and French, but like Catalan, I can't really speak. Because I live in Poland I know a few things in Polish and understand a little more than what I can say, but not really much.

So, to sum up, I speak fluently Spanish and English; Portuguese not so fluently due to lack of practice; less fluently Gallician; only a few sentences in Polish; and understand Italian, French and Catalan.

Because of my studies and my work, I'm often surrounded by people who speak fluently at least five languages, so what I know seems very poor to me in comparison. However, a few of my friends here have said they were impressed by the amount of languages I speak/understand so I got curious... how many languages do you guys speak? I would love to know.

* Gallician and Catalan are languages spoken in regions of Spain.
The Engineer
0 likes
Well Hindi is my mother tongue and the mostly used one in day to day life here in India.I can speak English and punjabi,which is my native language.I can speak a little bit of German and French , though I can understand it fluently ,can't speak it fluently. I am currently learning to speak Spanish.
Find Simar on:
1. Skype: Simar Singh
2. Kik: simar2308
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
American English is my native tongue. I speak a little Spanish, French and German. I want to become fluent in them before I move on to learning Italian.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Two
American English
And Bad English
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
well i obviously speak english as you can see...don't know if i speak it good or not...i speak italian cause i'm an italian guy and i speak german and spanish very well because i studied them at the school and spent some times in germany and in spain (i had a girl in spain so i can practice it well ;) )
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
English is my mother tongue, I speak French and Spanish - studying them at uni. I'm learning some Portuguese alongside and trying to teach myself Arabic. Its proving to be incredibly difficult though.
I understand some Italian, Catalan and Portuguese because quite a lot is similar to French and Spanish.
I did 5 years of German in high school but it wasn't really my métier, I only remember a few phrases now.
The way the schools teach languages in England, or my school at least, leads languages to become rather unpopular. I know very few people outside of my studies who are interested.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by CaseyGrae
The way the schools teach languages in England, or my school at least, leads languages to become rather unpopular. I know very few people outside of my studies who are interested.

That's not a purely English thing, it isn't any better in Germany. I learned French for a few years in school as an elective, but I can hardly recall anything. I speak German (my native tongue) and English, and I can understand bits and pieces of Spanish that I picked up on holidays. If someone speaks slowly, I can often get the gist of Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Icelandic, probably because I'm fluent in all German dialects and they tend to have a lot of similarities, but I'm unable to say a single sentence in those.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by CaseyGrae

It's terrible in Spain as well. I see it specially with English, because everyone has to study English in school... Lots of years repeating the same things over and over, almost no speaking at all... most of the people forget what they knew when they finish high school. And, even for the ones who have learned the grammar well, they panic if they find themselves in the situation of having to actually speak to someone in English.
Actually, I needed to leave my country to force myself to speak English.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by inspiration
well i obviously speak english as you can see...don't know if i speak it good or not...i speak italian cause i'm an italian guy and i speak german and spanish very good because i studied them at the school and spent some times in germany and in spain (i had a girl in spain so i can practice it well ;) )

Buongiorno smile

Most of the Italians that I know speak Spanish as well. In my experience, Italian and Spanish people are perfectly able to understand each other even not speaking the other language... if they speak slowly and help each other a little in the difficult bits.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

Buongiorno smile

Most of the Italians that I know speak Spanish as well. In my experience, Italian and Spanish people are perfectly able to understand each other even not speaking the other language... if they speak slowly and help each other a little in the difficult bits.

Buenos dìas :)
i think that you're right. A lot of people that i know understand spanish...obviously if it's spoken slowly and except for the false friends (salir in spanish is to go out, in italian "salire" it means to go up, to climb, to ascend...the same for subir...that in italian means to suffer )...the difficult thing in my opinion is to speak it ;) i have a lot of friends that try to speak spanish and it's always funny to hear the new words they create ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by inspiration
well i obviously speak english as you can see...don't know if i speak it good or not...i speak italian cause i'm an italian guy and i speak german and spanish very well because i studied them at the school and spent some time in germany and in spain (i had a girl in spain so i can practice it well ;) )
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by inspiration

Buenos dìas smile
i think that you're right. A lot of people that i know understand spanish...obviously if it's spoken slowly and except for the false friends (salir in spanish is to go out, in italian "salire" it means to go up, to climb, to ascend...the same for subir...that in italian means to suffer )...the difficult thing in my opinion is to speak it ;) i have a lot of friends that try to speak spanish and it's always funny to hear the new words they create ;)

Yes, that's always fun :)

I have another false friend "guarda" (not sure if I wrote correctly) that means "look" in Italian but means "keep" or "put away" in Spanish. This thing with false friends is hilarious sometimes :)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

Yes, that's always fun smile

I have another false friend "guarda" (not sure if I wrote correctly) that means "look" in Italian but means "keep" or "put away" in Spanish. This thing with false friends is hilarious sometimes :)

oh yes you wrote it correctly :)

carta=letter in spanish and paper in italian
cura = priest in spanish and therapy in italian

i have to go to spain for my next holidays...miss so much spain and sevilla

:)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by inspiration

cura = priest in spanish and therapy in italian

i have to go to spain for my next holidays...miss so much spain and sevilla

smile

"Cura" also means therapy in Spanish, apart from "priest".

Sevilla is beautiful, for what I've heard... I would never go there in summer though. I think I would melt.

Have you ever been in the North?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

"Cura" also means therapy in Spanish, apart from "priest".

Sevilla is beautiful, for what I've heard... I would never go there in summer though. I think I would melt.

Have you ever been in the North?

hahahaha i've been in sevilla in july and i melted...fortunately the house where i lived had a swimming pool smile in italy i live in the north so i prefer when it's not too hot...
no i've never been in the north of spain but would like to go...and you? have you ever been in italy?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by inspiration

hahahaha i've been in sevilla in july and i melted...fortunately the house where i lived had a swimming pool smile in italy i live in the north so i prefer when it's not too hot...
no i've never been in the north of spain but would like to go...and you? have you ever been in italy?

Not yet! But I want to go. Really, really, really want to go!

I'm from the North of Spain, lived there my whole life. It's beautiful. And not hot. Maybe you should try ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

Not yet! But I want to go. Really, really, really want to go!

I'm from the North of Spain, lived there my whole life. It's beautiful. And not hot. Maybe you should try ;)

yes! my next holiday i hope to go to spain and why not in the north? can you suggest me some places? and i can help you with italian places if you want ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by inspiration

yes! my next holiday i hope to go to spain and why not in the north? can you suggest me some places? and i can help you with italian places if you want ;)

I will tell you by email... we are way off topic now... smile My apologies to the rest of lushies here for that.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker

That's not a purely English thing, it isn't any better in Germany. I learned French for a few years in school as an elective, but I can hardly recall anything. I speak German (my native tongue) and English, and I can understand bits and pieces of Spanish that I picked up on holidays. If someone speaks slowly, I can often get the gist of Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Icelandic, probably because I'm fluent in all German dialects and they tend to have a lot of similarities, but I'm unable to say a single sentence in those.

Yeah, I realise it's the same situation in lots of places but I do feel like other countries push students more when it comes to languages, it seems most people have some grasp of English but I know very few English who can say more than "hello" in another language. Perhaps I'm biased, my university in England is a tiny one, in my largest class there are only 21 people! Here (France) I'm at a "small" uni but I have lectures with up to 200 people.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Relieved there plenty of people who are used to handling a number of languages as the media, here in the U K would have us believe otherwise.
I was lucky to have a very good teacher of French, at school, who realised that I was becoming bored with the daily lessons and let me wander off into reading the likes of Camus, Sartre etc in French. I think, though, he was an exception to the norm.
Oh, another one to add to the European language 'melting pot'. I live in Wales and can speak it, haltingly, (!) and can read simple text. All the civil authorities produce forms, brochures etc in both languages which makes for some very unwieldy leaflets at times.
Lurker
0 likes
I speak 6, but it is pretty common for Scandinavian people to speak multiple languages smile I speak Norwegian, Russian, Danish, Swedish, English and Spanish.
Site administrator
0 likes
English and una petit pois ickle French. (for those that dont understand French thats 'a little bit of French' ok).
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
English and una petit pois ickle French. (for those that dont understand French thats 'a little bit of French' ok).

Je parle français un petit peu aussi. Well, not really, but going to lessons now. smile
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

Je parle français un petit peu aussi. Well, not really, but going to lessons now. smile

What!! that was just awful ..
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

What!! that was just awful ..

I said "I speak a little French as well." smile
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

I said "I speak a little French as well." smile

Pah .. you so did not! since when does aussi mean 'as well' in French.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

Pah .. you so did not! since when does aussi mean 'as well' in French.

Since always, as far as I know. At least it meant that when I went to French lessons in school and aparently still means it now since my French teachers use it all the time.

Lurker
0 likes
Aussi moi. Merde.... (Not really) smile
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by Marta_

Since always, as far as I know. At least it meant that when I went to French lessons in school and aparently still means it now since my French teachers use it all the time.

erm .. ok bon coupe ..