Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Can you learn to be passionate about someone if there's no chemistry at first?

last reply
25 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've dated a couple of girls and sometimes I just don't feel any chemistry between use straight away and I've ended the relationship.. so I'm wondering if there's no chemistry at first is it worth sticking with the relationships in the future ?
Lurker
0 likes
It can happen - did to me with the College GF - we just casually dated for about 2 months - not doing anything more than chaste kissing - then one day we kind of looked at each other and ended up in bed
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Of course. You have to build up to it. But if you're just looking to get your rocks off then its not going to happen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
no I wasn't trying to get my rocks of I real liked the girl I just didn't feel that spark I just wonder if I throw it away to soon
Lurker
0 likes
Could be - sometimes it takes a while to realize that there is/might be a spark

Maybe it's not too late - nice dinner, some talk...
Lurker
0 likes
We are people. People are far from straight forward. I don't mean we are devious, but just naturally harder to figure out than we seem to think. So that means that you can be with someone a long time before you discovery you have chemistry. But the opposite is also possible: you can be with someone a long time and find that you really are not as into each other as you thought. In this culture, we are into instant gratification---often even when things by nature take time. So it takes some risk-taking to wait to see if there are sparks between you, and so on. But I personally don't mind the risk or the wait, because I try to have fun in other ways until I do find out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sure ,one of you be shy or uncomfortable at first
Lurker
0 likes
Not unless there's some complexity to both parties that they fall in love with later.

Otherwise, you'll have a quaint coupling. Just going with the word passion. Can you grow to love someone and there was no chemistry at first, yes, takes time though.
0 likes
Passion with no initial chemistry seems unlikely to me. Love, yes, but passion? Not so sure.

My wife and I started out as "just friends" but the chemistry was clearly there even if we didn't see it. Others apparently did. When I finally had my eyes opened, passion ensued. Boy did it ever.

And I suspect that that is what happens a lot when passion just blooms. The initial chemistry was there but it was subtle and took time to build so it is didn't get noticed, esp. by those immersed in it. That's why it seems like you suddenly have passion out of nothing, when really it's passion bursting forth where it's been quietly simmering for a while.

That's my hypothesis, at least.
Lurker
0 likes
All in good time mate! smile I believe it is possible, but I believe also that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you and the other girls you dated were at the right place but at the wrong time, maybe you will meet each other someday when you are both better people and then the relationship would be much easier for both you, or maybe they really werent the one for you.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Aladdin
But I personally don't mind the risk or the wait,* because I try to have fun in other ways* until I do find out.
And that, my friend, is living. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dean13
no I wasn't trying to get my rocks of I real liked the girl I just didn't feel that spark I just wonder if I throw it away to soon

Why didn't you keep her as a friend? You said you liked her a lot, by throwing it away too soon you'll never know.
Lurker
0 likes
Sure, I think so! It could even happen on Lush! For the longest time I avoided one certain weird-o I'm sure he'll know who he is when he reads this hehehe... After FINALLY giving him a chance he turns out to be really fantastic and I can see a great friendship blooming.
This is the same case as falling for a friend, someone you would have never imagined falling for and one day it just clicks...
I wouldn't say hold onto a relationship that doesn't feel right, but if that person comes back later down the road, don't shut out the idea because you didn't mesh the first time around.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So you dumped the entire relationship because there was no chemistry? What if you would have been great friends. Perhaps being lovers is not in the cards but wonderful friendships can be found where love fails to blossom.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I never dump someone unless I simply can't stand them but chemistry is magic and it doesn't come along every day. I NEVER ignore chemistry and it has never lied to me. Every time I felt in on the first meeting, that relationship was great and endured until something out of our control forced us apart.

I think chemistry (whatever it really is) is the most important part of a relationship. I only wish I could find good chemistry more often.

I've only found one instance where chemistry seemed to lie to me and the woman denied that she felt it but she finally admitted later that she had felt it but she was trying to attract a rich man. I fully understood and respected that and wished her well but often wonder how great it would have been if she'd allowed the relationship to develop. sad

I've also never had it develop later by surprise like some say they have but that would be great.
Great minds think alike but dirty minds work together.... ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by buttercup2u
Perhaps being lovers is not in the cards but wonderful friendships can be found where love fails to blossom.
Wise words. Hey now I think about it... yeah it could turn into a passionate relationship. There is this guy from work, I didnt like him at first but as I get to know him during those times we went out with other colleagues, I would find myself staring at him and thinking of romantic possibilities. Heeheehee biggrin I didnt act on it though.. Lots of reason. But I can tell me and him in a relationship could be a passionate one smile Oh!! Also this friend I found weird at first and only talked to because I dont like it when I think society and situations makes a person feel lonely... :D After getting to know him and being close friends for several terms, i fell for him! Hard. :/ He has a girlfriend though and I do not want to be the third party so I resisted his advances even though I trully like him sad So yeah, I guess my answer to your question is pretty obvious now :)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Passion with no initial chemistry seems unlikely to me. Love, yes, but passion? Not so sure.

My wife and I started out as "just friends" but the chemistry was clearly there even if we didn't see it. Others apparently did. When I finally had my eyes opened, passion ensued. Boy did it ever.

And I suspect that that is what happens a lot when passion just blooms. The initial chemistry was there but it was subtle and took time to build so it is didn't get noticed, esp. by those immersed in it. That's why it seems like you suddenly have passion out of nothing, when really it's passion bursting forth where it's been quietly simmering for a while.

That's my hypothesis, at least.

I'm going to have to agree with this one.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yea sure why not.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Not sure I buy passion if there's no chemistry at all. Not sure how that'd work at all.

There's either chemistry or not.

I've had close female friends where there's been chemistry or sexual tension and that eventually led to intimacy (mostly casual).

I don't think I've ever grown into chemistry, passion, or lust with someone when they was never any of that initially.

But passion doesn't always mean romantic or sexual love. You can be passionate about someone, but not in a SO form.
0 likes
Well, I think the key phase is, 'at first'. There can always be chemistry, but sometimes you just have to find it somewhere. Even if you have no chemistry at all, you can still be passionate. You can learn.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sometimes chemistry can be less overt and not hit you until years later.
Lurker
0 likes
Yes of course. Sometimes you have hot chemistry at first and it is lust. Then there is the slow burn and suddenly it is there.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
In my opinion... nope.

As others have said, you can grow to appreciate them and maybe even love them in a 'comfortable way' - but passion needs that bit of spark and if you've spent some time with them (ie. a couple of dates) and it's not there, I wouldn't bother, unless you're just looking for one of those 'safe relationships'. Problem is, inevitably you will come across someone that you do have an immediate spark with and that will be difficult to resist and turn away from.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
In my opinion... nope.

As others have said, you can grow to appreciate them and maybe even love them in a 'comfortable way' - but passion needs that bit of spark and if you've spent some time with them (ie. a couple of dates) and it's not there, I wouldn't bother, unless you're just looking for one of those 'safe relationships'. Problem is, inevitably you will come across someone that you do have an immediate spark with and that will be difficult to resist and turn away from.

...WHAT SHE SAID...I totally agree with Doll's comments. Once again ... she is 'spot on' with her remarks. Life can also smother you when the spark ... and subsequent flame in the relationship ... has been extinguished.

Read "My Life Between Virginity & Celibacy" for what can happen: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/my-life-between-virginity-and-celibacy-2.aspx Also read part Two.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Chemistry? Passion? Pfft! Once you're done with all that nonsense, all that awaits is marriage and the sweet release of death.

Seriously, you can bounce around from one hot piece of ass to the next, riding the wave of passion as long as you can, but sooner or later, it fades. If you follow that to its absurd, yet logical conclusion, you'll end up like Hugh Hefner. I know, not bad, right?

If you stick with the same person, you either end up deeply in love in this safe comfort zone, or shackled to some bipolar nutjob who keeps wrecking your stuff. The goal obviously being the former.

It takes time to truly know someone, sometimes months, sometimes longer. It's only then that you really know if you're meant to be with each other. And that's often after you've done away with the fairytale of chemistry and whatnot. Sounds hot, I know. But there's always date nights and cowboy hats to keep things interesting.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
Nope...that chemistry thing is there or not...which leads to desires to learn more about that person or not. Hard to get passionate with someone you really don't give a chance to.