I am so pissed about this! I read this over dinner the other night and nearly chocked. Whilst some sites are understandable, for example "terrorist bomb making", I still don't agree that we should be dictated to about which sites we allowed to visit and which of those we aren't.
One proposed restriction was for "any gay forum that openly discussed gay activities!" Seriously WTF?
Next it will be any forum that openly discussed sexual activities and then it will be bye bye to all of us aussie Lushies!
I know the major concern is for the minors, but that really should be up to the parents to control the security of the internet, NOT the government.
There are quite a few people here who think of this place as a nanny state. I tend to agree.
The censorship and restrictions on certain movies and books I find abhorrent.
I still think it's all bullshit like Sweet said *IT'S UP TO THE PARENTS* to watch their kids not the government I can't stand them wanting to hold our hands through everything. Me personally I wshi big government would stay quiet do what they have to but LUET ME LIVE MY LIVE! Ok off my soap box now.
That sucks, hell I thought the US was too harsh in censoring. Look at how they rate movies ... what the hell is Thematic Elements?!?! Something that doesn't fit into 'traditional categories' as Wiki calls it. 'These thematic elements include death, discrimination, defiance, child abuse, coming-of-age issues, verbal abuse, disability, abortion, and other serious subjects or mature discussions that some parents and guardians feel may not be appropriate for their young children.'
I mean WTF? Can we say sheltered? Welcome to real life, I say! Its not always pretty, but its here and you'd better get used to it.
I understand why China wants to block things from their people, they have a tight grip on their people and a tight grip on what they want them to know or not to know. But this shouldn't affect anyone outside of China.
I think some calm is called for here.....this is a Busted Ass.....The Australian Government have been attempting to sell the "filtering" of certain content on the internet for a few years now. The inherent bureaucracy of the government and its servants will mean this will either fail or take 10 years to implement and then be so watered down it will only end up "filtering" sesame street or something else unintended. So all should be calm.
That said I do find it incredibly abhorent that we as a human race cannot work together to completely wipe out child pornography on the internet and in any other medium from our society. We call for free speech, our rights and civil liberties, what about those poor kiddies rights. This is what we all should be really fired up about, I agree the Australian Governments approach is wrong, but they have made a stand, put a stake in the ground and said no more, that if nothing else takes some courage...wayward and stupid but courage nonetheless.
There is some hypocracy in their approach though, they take this stand over the internet, yet they release peadophiles from prison back into communities close to children. Why? Because Australia has adapted its legal system to that of its allies.....I'll let more learned people than I debate this issue further.....these are my views.
Rubber Ducky your the one, you make my life so much fun
One Lush member who has traveled to China mentioned to me that the Chinese Government just blocked Google today.
There were already blocks of Facebook and Youtube, but the "Google Engine" is a new extreme standard.
Funny thing is that he is still able to access Lush... LMAO...
If this does go through I hope to hell it doesn't it would big time suck loosing all our Aussie friends.