37 replies
17.6k views
3 watchers
15 likes
First Person Smartass
9 likes
Story Writing for BEGINNERS

-----Original Message-----
I want to write a story. I have a couple of ideas, but no idea what to do with them, or even how to begin! Help?!
-- Newbie Writer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So when you wanna write a story, where do you begin? With your PASSION!

Write what you KNOW & LOVE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you KNOW, really? What do you love to Do, to Study, to Think About, to Talk About...? Whether it's cave-diving, model trains, skate-boarding, sewing, horses, mythology, ghost legends, or particle physics your passion is where you will find your most unique and powerful work.

Make a list of all the things you know well and all the things you've done -- seriously! Mythology, history, any retail jobs you might have had -- anything you might have seen, done, or studied.

Sticking with your passions and your personal experiences also keeps you from making the fewest MISTAKES.

Case in point, someone who has never kissed isn't going to be able to write a kissing scene as well as someone who Has. Worst of all, someone with experience will know IMMEDIATELY when the writer doesn't know what they're talking about. Once that happens, they're closing your story -- never to look at it again.

If you insist on writing about something outside of your personal experience, do your RESEARCH thoroughly. Google.com & Wikipedia.com are your friends!

Next?

Character Creation 101
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The easiest way to make an original character is by modeling your character on one you already know.

Out of all the movies you have seen, what fictional character is most like what you need for your story? You want a movie or animated character because you need to PICTURE your character as they move through your stories. This is ESSENTIAL for Active Writing.

Favorite characters I like to use:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Trinity from the Matrix
- Keiffer Sutherland from the Lost Boys & 24
- Robert Carlyle from Ravenous and Plunkett & McLean
- Wolverine from the X-Men
- Sandra Bullock from Miss Congeniality and Speed
- Johnnie Depp from Sleepy Hollow and Sweeny Todd
- Selene from Underworld
- Riddick from Pitch Black

The trick is to change their names and appearance enough to disguise them while leaving their base character traits -- and dialogue style -- intact!

"Wait! Isn't using someone else's characters' Plagiarism?"
-- Only if the character still has the Same Name and the Same Physical Description. Change those and it's not. Think! If no one ever borrowed characters, there'd only be ONE vampire novel in existence--and it wouldn't be "Dracula".

You should have THREE Main Characters to tell a whole story:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proponent (Hero): The one trying to Keep things the way they are.
Antagonist (Villain): The one trying to Change things from the way they are.
Ally (buddy or lover): The one caught in the Middle, and usually telling the story.

-----Original Message-----
"But what if I only want to use two characters?"

Then use only Two:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proponent (Hero): The one trying to Keep things the way they are.
Antagonist (Villain): The one trying to Change things from the way they are.

However, using only Two main characters will make it harder to tell the whole thing. Don't be surprised if a Third character sneaks their way in to help you!

WORLD BUILDING 101
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay now that you have your Characters, you need to make a world to put them in.

The easiest place to put your characters is a place you already know. For all other places, there's RESEARCH. Google.com is invaluable for finding pictures of places you've never been and journals posted by people living there. Find them and READ them.

If you're building a fantasy world, a historical world, or a sci-fi world for your first story, CHEATING is your best option.

There are a million and one Gaming Books and Gaming Sites featuring all kinds of historical, fantastical, and scientific data it would take you YEARS to uncover. Just make sure you separate Fact from Fiction! And for God's sake, CHANGE what you Can! You don't need people screaming at you for copyright violation.

If you're determined to build your world from scratch, then here is the absolute best guide on world building there is:

Patricia C. Wrede's Worldbuilder Questions
http://www.larseighner.com/world_builder/index.html

Making your story HAPPEN!
PLOTTING 101

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rather than make this complicated, let's go the simple route. Once you have all three (or two) characters, ask each one these Three Questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• Who am I and what do I do?
• What do I want?
• What is the worst thing that could happen to me?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once you know the answers to all of these questions, you pretty much have your whole story.

• "Who am I and what do I do?" is your introduction.
• "What do I want?" is what puts your characters in opposition. Your hero has a Goal. Your Villain doesn't want them to have it because it gets in the way of their Goal.
• Your main character's 'Worst Thing' is the REVERSAL to your story dead center in the Middle.
• The Villain's 'Worst Thing' is the main CLIMAX close to the end. It's the turning point that allows your Main Character to win. The End.

Simple, ne?

So where do you begin Writing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOT at the beginning!

Open the story within one page of Hero meets Villain, (or Lover meets Beloved) with the story already in progress. Action scenes and snappy dialogue are the best hooks for snaring your reader, but hints of Mysterious things yet to happen works well too. I also set the stage for the story about to begin with a few lines of Description so that the reader can SEE everything as it happens.

The trick to not boring them is: Don't Tell them ANYTHING!

Give broad hints, but don't Info-dump. Use Dialogue to hint at clues to the secondary character’s back-story. This way you make the reader an eavesdropper who MUST read on to find out, "What the heck is going on?"

The easiest way to keep your reader from figuring out what's going on -- and how your story will end -- is by telling the whole story from One POV (point of view.) MAKE the reader discover from INSIDE your main character why this vampire hunted this particular guy down, and why he isn’t running in screaming terror. MAKE your readers put two and two together and try to come up with the right answer.

Tricks to keeping your story SHORT!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep the number of characters to a Minimum!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The larger the cast -- the longer the story.

This is because each and every character you use must have their story problem FIXED by the end of the story. If you don't, you create a PLOT HOLE that your readers WILL notice, and call you on.

Keep the Point of your story firmly in mind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you trying to Show with your story?

Love Conquers All
Greed makes one Greedier
Love = Insanity
Love doesn't always mean Happiness
Love isn't always Nice
You Reap what you Sow
Destiny is a Bitch
You can't escape Yourself
A Snake will always be a Snake
Sometimes, Love means Letting Go
Sometimes, Love means Giving In
Appetites will find a way to be Filled
Revenge only brings Misery

In short, know what you want to say and how you intend to END the story before you begin!

Only put in what you intend to USE.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it doesn't affect the Plot, the Characters or the Point of your story, you don't need it.

This includes Description.

In a short story, everything is pared down to the minimum, so you only need to describe the characters your character directly interacts with, and their immediate surroundings, no more, but no less either. You want to make sure that your Reader can SEE what's happening, but you don't need to go into detail about every babbling brook and tree.

Once you've finished your story, Read it OUT LOUD to yourself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This will allow you to catch most of your mistakes before anyone else sees them.

• If you have to stop to take a breath before you finish a sentence -- the sentence is Too Long.
• If you have to read a line twice to figure out what you just said, so will your Readers. Any time you have to reread anything, something is WRONG.
• If you find your attention drifting from the story you are reading out loud -- so will your Readers.
• If you find yourself skipping parts to get to better parts -- so will your readers.
• If YOU don't find what you're reading interesting enough to keep reading, neither will your Readers.

In Conclusion...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Writing a story isn't all that hard or even complicated. It's what you put into your story that makes it complicated -- and uniquely yours.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DISCLAIMER: As with all advice, take what you can use and throw out the rest. As a multi-published author, I have been taught some fairly rigid rules on what is publishable and what is not. If my rather straight-laced (and occasionally snotty,) advice does not suit your creative style, by all means, IGNORE IT.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.
Morgan Hawke's DarkErotica ~ My Website
DarkErotica Blog ~ My Writers' blog

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
Matriarch
0 likes
More great advice, thanks for posting Morgan.
Lurker
0 likes
I often like to start with something happening, but setting a mood with descriptive narrative. Some sensual description that sets the tone and draws the readers' senses into the story. With something happening, you then rachet up the intensity, made the something that is happening erotic and passionate from at least one of the character's point of view. Suspense is a good hook, so that the reader wants to know what's next, what level will this "something" go to, will the "something" be consummated.

To give characters depth, get inside their minds and feelings. It sounds obvious, but many writers just have shallow characters doing this, then doing that. Make us feel what the characters feel besides "Ohhh" and "Uhhhh". Build the tension between what they think they want, what they really, want, and what is actually happening.

Character depth -- especially expressed through motivation and behavior -- action and reaction -- is crucial for novels. Expose your characters to many situations and show us how they deal with them, from the triumphs to the failures and how they deal with the in-betweenesses. Show us how they fit in their environment and why -- contrast and compliment is part of everyone's life. Let us see that, while building up to twists of fate and circumstance. Make us care what happens and to whom.
Lurker
0 likes
What to Look for in a Hard Drive That You Are Purchasing?
When you are going to <a href="">buy laptop hard drive</a>, it is extremely important to look for one that is going to be fast and large enough to accommodate all of your files and data needs. It
<br>Yeah, it's just what I need, I'm about to have a new one
<br>I always use Dell Hard Disk Drives, what about you, guys?
<br>Gateway!!!lol
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I'm not completely new to writing, but I am not seasoned either. So, thank you this had some helpful tips.
Lurker
0 likes
Hi! I'm not sure I'm in the right place. After reading in this forum the tips/advice are very helpful........ Thank you for that.
I'm a novice writer and I'm extremely shy/nervous about sharing my writing. After reading some here it puts mine to shame. Lol
I was wondering if it's possible that before I actually post one that I would some feedback just to make sure it's postworthy.
if not then I would be very appreciative to be pointed in the right direction. smile I'm only now gathering the courage to want to
have someone to read one of my stories.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by Ruby_Skye
Hi! I'm not sure I'm in the right place. After reading in this forum the tips/advice are very helpful........ Thank you for that.
I'm a novice writer and I'm extremely shy/nervous about sharing my writing. After reading some here it puts mine to shame. Lol
I was wondering if it's possible that before I actually post one that I would some feedback just to make sure it's postworthy.
if not then I would be very appreciative to be pointed in the right direction. smile I'm only now gathering the courage to want to

Hi Ruby, and welcome. Quite often, people post requests like this in the 'ask the author' section. I'd be happy to look something over for you though. Just PM it to me when you get a chance.

Jen x
Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by Ruby_Skye

Hey Ruby:
I think one of the hardest things for a new writer is to take that first leap and submit a story. Don't be shy, you will find Lush is pretty friendly to new writers and there is a WEALTH of knowledge here. You will discover quite quickly that story moderators are friendly and helpful when they review your work, even more so if you trust them and accept their advice. Good luck with your first story!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me, it is simple-Write what you know best. After you get the hang of it, branch off into different genres for changes of pace
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for this. I too am not a novice but I learned a great deal from your post. Thank you.
machu
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I like the idea of a third character sneaking in. Like, Hey, who the fuck are you!? I might try and write a story with only two and see what happens.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

I think one of the hardest things for a new writer is to take that first leap and submit a story. Don't be shy, you will find Lush is pretty friendly to new writers and there is a WEALTH of knowledge here. You will discover quite quickly that story moderators are friendly and helpful when they review your work, even more so if you trust them and accept their advice. Good luck with your first story!

I was so nervous about submitting my story. I would never have dared except a friend in Lush saw something I had posted in the Forums and urged me to try. As for how I felt when my story was accepted and published, "Nervous" does not even come close. Blind panic would be nearer the mark. "What if nobody reads it? Worse, what if they read it and don't like it, or hate it? Why did I let you talk me into this?" That was basically the gist of how I felt, but thanks to some of the writing advice from Morgan Hawke's pages there was not much technically wrong with my submission, and so far the readers seem to be enjoying what I am writing. And now I have gone back to the advice pages to make my dialogue and punctuation more correct, so hopefully the editors here will not have as many errors to amend in the future.
By the way, I would like to thank Morgan Hawke for the wonderful advice, sincere thanks.
Lurker
0 likes
all tips are amazing !
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Very good tips, I have been trying to write a story for about 2 year's now I get so far and then things escape me.
After reading your tips I will try again thank you very much.
Please keep helping others.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Very good tips, I have been trying to write a story for about 2 year's now I get so far and then things escape me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Cum_Queen

Please see my PM
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I want to thank all the veterans on here. your ideas and encouragement are so appreciated. There is too much to process here to take in one sitting, and will be back many times. again thank you to all.
Lurker
0 likes
Good advice. I think 'reading it out loud' may be the best advice. If you have a good ear, you can hear when something isn't quite right even if you have trouble citing the relevant grammar rule or stylistic advice. We know more than we can say.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you Morgan! A great tutorial on how to start.

Sherry
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
For those who have a hard time reading their own words, Windows 10 has a narrator feature. Below is a link that shows how to use it. It will now read what you've selected.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/narrator-in-windows-8-7
"Illegitimis non carborundum." Vinger Joe Stllwell

What you learn in life is important; those you help learn are more.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I have literally just joined Lush and decided to read Morgan Hawkes advice on how to write a story. I have never done it before and Morgan's advice was golden!! I will read a handful of stories first to help me get some idea of how to create the rough idea I already have for my first story. Thanks everyone
0 likes
Thank you for the tips! As far as I know, the structure of prose and drama is very different. And expressive ways too.
Chief Gopher
0 likes
Thank you for all the tips and advice. It's really helpful. I haven't written a story in over 30 years, so this really a first for. Much appreciated.
First Person Smartass
0 likes
Quote by Pandastar
Thank you for all the tips and advice. It's really helpful. I haven't written a story in over 30 years, so this really a first for. Much appreciated.

You're very welcome!
-- I like helping my fellow writers.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.
Morgan Hawke's DarkErotica ~ My Website
DarkErotica Blog ~ My Writers' blog

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
Lurker
0 likes
I wish I would have visited the forum before writing my first story. I submitted it last Sunday. I hope it's not rejected.
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Quote by Miko_
I wish I would have visited the forum before writing my first story. I submitted it last Sunday. I hope it's not rejected.

Sorry for the delay getting to your story. The moderation queue is absolutely mental at the moment. We're gradually trawling through it, but more stories are piling in every day!

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 101 stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 69 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 20 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Lurker
0 likes
It's fine. I've noticed that there's quite a few new stories each day. I can wait my turn.

Thank you.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Just adding a thought; I'm far from the most talented of writers here although I wouldn't consider myself a 'beginner' exactly. Having said that I find Morgan's writing tips as well as a whole host of helpful advice in various Lush threads extremely helpful when I'm writing or editing a story. In plain English: not just for beginners.