10 words you need to stop misspelling!

last reply
23 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I love this. Most of those words are the ones that annoy me when they are misused or misspelled.
Captain Turtle
0 likes
That is brilliant.
Insert something witty here.
Lurker
0 likes
Oh the oatmeal. That site never ceases to amuse me
Site administrator
0 likes
Jeez !! or is it Jeeze !!
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
Jeez !! or is it Jeeze !!

I usually use a G...
Lurker
0 likes
I'm so guilty of confusing affect and effect.... I've had it explained to me so many times but it just doesn't sink in for love nor money!

I wrote a paper a few years ago 'The effects of the supernatural upon Macbeth' ....it took me a long time to work that one out. I assume I got it right since I got good marks on my coursework
Lurker
0 likes
Two words that make me laugh when I wrote them wrong was, Knightwear instead of nightwear and Luck instead of look! made me laugh ha ha
Lurker
0 likes
This site is funny to read, but they make my spelling worse because then I end up writing the wrong spelling when I knew what it was in the first place ha ha.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Those words i got them down, my biggest problem are with in and on.

Example: i never know if im laying in bed or on the bed
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by latinfoxy
Those words i got them down, my biggest problem are with in and on.

Example: i never know if im laying in bed or on the bed

Oh that's easy, you're on the bed if you're not under the covers and you're in the bed if you are...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LittleBambi

Oh that's easy, you're on the bed if you're not under the covers and you're in the bed if you are...

hmmm yeah sure super clear now
Lurker
0 likes
I always get compliment and complement mixed up. Same sounding word, different spelling/meaning and it does my nut in trying to remember each one, even though I know them I still have to remind myself of their proper and respective usages.
Lurker
0 likes
Every day I correct 'Waste' for 'Waist', 'Whole' for 'Hole' etc....

xx Steph
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
oh the other 2 words i always mixed up are Lacey and Lacy, not even to saVe my life can i remember wHich one i should use!!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Every day I correct 'Waste' for 'Waist', 'Whole' for 'Hole' etc....

xx Steph

That's pretty bizarre, you'd think this being a sex stories site, people would familiarize themselves with the difference between "Whole" and "Hole".
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by latinfoxy
oh the other 2 words i always mixed up are Lacey and Lacy, not even to safe my life can i remember witch one i should use!!!

If it's lingerie, it's 'lacy'....

If it's a fat 1970s NYC lady TV detective with a partner called Cagney, it's 'Lacey'.

xx SF

(Next week we'll talk about 'safe' and 'save', and 'which' and 'witch'....)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

If it's lingerie, it's 'lacy'....

If it's a fat 1970s NYC lady TV detective with a partner called Cagney, it's 'Lacey'.

xx SF

(Next week we'll talk about 'safe' and 'save', and 'which' and 'witch'....)

hahahahahaha!!!! OMG maybe i did throw my money to the garbage with all my english classes!!!

But i have one question what if this nice lacey lady's partner name was Spike or Mike would it still apply?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
laid, lie, lay, lying, lain.

hence, i choose recline
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bumping on the "loose vs. lose". People, you do NOT loose your virginity. You lose it; then you can become "loose", if you want.

Also, who's vs. whose.

Who's= contraction of "who is"; informal (this is why Word always underlines these things with squiglies);
Whose=demonstrative of possession.

Just like it's vs. its.

Who's coming to dinner?

It doesn't really matter whose jacket it may be, it's going into lost and found.

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LittleBambi
I'm so guilty of confusing affect and effect.... I've had it explained to me so many times but it just doesn't sink in for love nor money!

I wrote a paper a few years ago 'The effects of the supernatural upon Macbeth' ....it took me a long time to work that one out. I assume I got it right since I got good marks on my coursework

Affect vs. effect is one even academicians get wrong. Being in the field of psychology, we have a bit of an edge (but there are often gray lines).

Affect pertains to human emotion and behavior, specifically. A psychotropic drug like Ritalin or Zoloft can affect people differently, while a drug like Coumadin can effect the way your blood clots.

There is cause and effect.

The state of the economy effects the job market.

A sad movie, however, really affects my mood.

Looks like you clearly get it Little Bambi (although supernatural influences can, arguably, not only effect Macbeth, but also affect him), so I offer this advice for anyone who is confused, and hope it may help.

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Affect and effect have definitely always been my downfall. When I'm writing I try to think about it before I write it and always wind up having to look it up
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Gurlyboy

That's pretty bizarre, you'd think this being a sex stories site, people would familiarize themselves with the difference between "Whole" and "Hole".

You'd also think they'd at least learn how the spell the parts of a human body. While they were in grammar class, their school money was being wasted.

But what really frosts me is improper use of pronouns.
"it is I" not, "it is me". "Here he/she comes" is correct, and most people understand that. But in answer to the question who is coming?" the answer is "it is he/she" not "him/her" Him/Her is objective: "to whom does it belong?" It belongs to him/her; it is his/hers; he/she (as the subject) owns it." (also, please note, no apostrophe in "hers", even though if you used a proper noun, as in "it is Sally's", you would use an apostrophe.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster