CHAT amongst yourselves (BETA)

last reply
26 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
Ok folks, you asked for it, and we're delivering it. The chat feature is in beta testing. Head to the main page, find active users, move your mouse over their name, and voila.

At the moment the blocking feature is not in play - well, you can try and start a session with someone, but if they have the "block all" option checked in their profile, you shouldn't be able to make contact. It will be setup so that they are invisible if they don't want to be contacted in future.

Please set up your contact preferences in your profile area. I know a lot of people will wish to opt out entirely from the off.

It's still in beta, so please feel free to have a go with it and post any feedback.

I've put myself out of the loop for now, too busy this afternoon with real world work!

Cheers,

Nicola
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cool Running, Boss.

See, told ya, you make this place to much fun to leave.

Bat
Lurker
0 likes
It's in Beta? I still have VHS. Darn.

Next you'll say it's in Blu-Ray.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

All new members get issued one of these:

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by techgoddess
Quote by roccotool

Clever man! You stole my joke....we think so much alike baby!

Have you 2 tested it out? A few more days and it should be ready to roll. There's a few things I've picked up, but it's mostly there I think.
Lurker
0 likes
Somebody tried it on me last night. Worked quite well but I can't initiate any chats myself. Are there any prequisites for this beta?
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by ghostwriter
Somebody tried it on me last night. Worked quite well but I can't initiate any chats myself. Are there any prequisites for this beta?

How do you mean you can't initiate any? If you just put your mouse over someone's name after clicking the "Active Visitors" box on the main page, a box should appear with a drop down option of "Start conversation". If they have chosen to "Block All" in their profile it will not work, nor if they are offline. The system has been set up so that those people shouldn't even appear in the "Active Visitors" area, so I'm not sure what you are doing there.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Quote by Lush
Quote by techgoddess
Quote by roccotool

Clever man! You stole my joke....we think so much alike baby!

Have you 2 tested it out? A few more days and it should be ready to roll. There's a few things I've picked up, but it's mostly there I think.

We haven't been on at the same time lately :-(

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

And the final part of Book 3 of Mac and Grace's story:

In a New York Minute - Part Twenty-Nine - Chapters 111-114

Matriarch
0 likes
Ah phoey. It was you 2 I had in mind to start with when I gave Gav the greenlight to have a play with it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello people.

Nope, not working here either.

Bat
Fireman
0 likes
Lush,

anyway to chat with more than one person?
Seeker
0 likes
Anyone care to test it?
Lurker
0 likes
Lush, you'll be happy to know we wore it out, I mean, we tried it out tonight. We had the cables sizzling. It works well. It's nice and simple.

Takes Tech's panties off my head.
Lurker
0 likes
I've tried it out as well, it works great. Thanks for adding it.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Yeah, like conference chatting......that would be cool....
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
After reading in the official announcement of this service I got answered one of my questions, however, I had noticed that when someone tried to contact me today (I stupidly used Internet Explorer 7) and the pop-up blocker was on so of course the chat window didn't appear. Yes, the black box appeared but I refreshed the page in an attempt for the pop-up chat window to try popping up again, unfortunatly this didn't have the desired affect and I lost the convo' completely.

Anyway, nice addition.
CuriousJayUK -
CuriousJay means that I have a few things, some concerning certain taboos, I am curious about. Not that I am bi-curious.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lush
Thanks Jay, you can pass on feedback to our programmer here too as you find problems

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst2958_Lush-Chat-is-here-in-beta.aspx

lol You're kidding? I was going to post there in the first place, and then saw the link to here so I decided here. Pft! Another fine example of: go with ya instincts. :P
CuriousJayUK -
CuriousJay means that I have a few things, some concerning certain taboos, I am curious about. Not that I am bi-curious.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have used it with no problems so far. Only drawback I see is that if you are chatting with someone and another person messages you then you lose the chat box you had.
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks guys, it's still in development. Our coder has bookmarked this thread and will be popping by to gather feedback and work on solutions.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Good point Orion. Does make it hard to chat with differant people.

Bat
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When using this chat feature tonight I have noticed (and the person I was chatting with) that 'Add to Friends' <not sure if that's what it says but you know what I mean> button creates an error on page and does nothing in Internet Explorer 7 [I haven't tried other browsers].
CuriousJayUK -
Code Monkey
0 likes
@ghostwriter
any hyperlinked author name on the story site has a context menu where you can initiate a chat. i was thinking of brining this into the forums at some point too.

@fireman, @OrionTat
there should be no reason you can have more than one chat window open at once, is it still an issue for people?